Mike Bibby's defense sucks.

Bibby can defend people, I think he's just investing his energy on his offense and less on the D; that's why he such an explosive scorer............if he balance his eggs in both basket than he'll just be an above avg baller; so its better in his terms to put all his eggs in the "O" basket (unless those are rotten, he may go 3-22)

piksi

Hall of Famer
CaminoChaos said:
Bibb's get beat by everybody. Eddie House really bust his *** on D. We are going to get killed by any fast pg in the playoffs.
thanks for sharing. Always good to get some new informations
:rolleyes:

For the most part Bibby is a horrible on the ball one on one defender. However, he is a good team defender and good help defender, but his one on one defense has a lot to be desired. However, going against Ridnour will be just fine for the Kings and the Sonics know that and for that reason I think that Daniels will end up seeing more minutes at the point than Ridnour will.

His one on one defense may be rough, but he's still a very bright point guard and the true leader of this team. What he's missing in defense, he more than makes up for on the other end.

piksi said:
to bad nobody has ever seen that
Actually, when Bibby played on Team USA, Larry Brown said he was good defensively.:eek: But I wateched those games and Bibby was a more than adequate defender. Of course, it helped to have shot blockers backing him up, but overall team defense was pretty good, which is what you could expect from Larry Brown. I'll see if I can find Brown's actual comments.

Diabeticwonder said:
For the most part Bibby is a horrible on the ball one on one defender. However, he is a good team defender and good help defender, but his one on one defense has a lot to be desired. However, going against Ridnour will be just fine for the Kings and the Sonics know that and for that reason I think that Daniels will end up seeing more minutes at the point than Ridnour will.
Expect to see AD play every 4th quarter of the series.

kennadog said:
Actually, when Bibby played on Team USA, Larry Brown said he was good defensively.:eek: But I wateched those games and Bibby was a more than adequate defender. Of course, it helped to have shot blockers backing him up, but overall team defense was pretty good, which is what you could expect from Larry Brown. I'll see if I can find Brown's actual comments.
thing about PG defense is that a PG can look like a decent defender if they are surrounded by other decent defenders. problem with the kings is that all of their players are lacking defensively, except maybe o-tag, but thats strictly a size issue. with bibby, yeah, he gets beat off the dribble a lot. but that fact is magnified by the fact that his man always gets to the basket. on a team with better defense, bibby's man would possibly get stopped en route to the basket more, and bibby wouldnt look like such a poor defender. thats why they say defense is a team effort, cuz everybody gets beat at some point in time. the quality of the help defense on the kings is obviously very poor. if they exerted just a little effort, they would have no problems winning games like the one they lost last night.

skillet said:
Bibby can defend people, I think he's just investing his energy on his offense and less on the D; that's why he such an explosive scorer............if he balance his eggs in both basket than he'll just be an above avg baller; so its better in his terms to put all his eggs in the "O" basket (unless those are rotten, he may go 3-22)
I don't buy that at all. I don't think Larry Bird simply invested all his energy into his offense but not his defense; he simply just wasn't a good defender.

House moves really fast on D, its amazing how he reacts to everything really quick. Bibby's gotta pick up his D. The way i see it is that whenever we need a defensive stop, we should put jackson or house in, (or both of them)

N.U.F.A.N. said:
House moves really fast on D, its amazing how he reacts to everything really quick. Bibby's gotta pick up his D. The way i see it is that whenever we need a defensive stop, we should put jackson or house in, (or both of them)
Bibby is simply too important to the Kings, you can't take him out at any point during a close playoff game. That would be insane and I guarantee that it won't happen.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Team Dime said:
I don't buy that at all. I don't think Larry Bird simply invested all his energy into his offense but not his defense; he simply just wasn't a good defender.

The joke is that from '81-'84 Bird was actually 2nd team All Defense for three straight seasons when he would come close to 2stls and 1blk a game every year.

Exactly. Mike Bibby is nothing like Larry Bird.

People don't realize that Bird was 35 years old averaging almost 10 rebounds a game, with bad knees.

The ONLY player I am not concerned about during the playoffs is Bibby. He may not play spectaclur one-on-one D, but his team defense is good and his end of game defense is above average. Besides, his main job is not defense. It is running the team and controlling our offense. He is VERY good at that and ALWAYS picks up his intensity in the playoffs. The others I am concerned about due to injury, past track records, and inexperience together. We do not need to worry about Bibby.

Team Dime said:

Wait, is this a serious post? Larry Bird was not a good defensive player? Huh? The guy boarded like a champ and read passing lanes better than anyone else in the history of the game. Just because he didn't look athletic while doing it does not mean he was a bad defender.

^ I thought the same, also wondered why someone brought up Bibby and Bird in the same sentence.

I can see some Reggie/Bibby talk. Not Bibby/Bird besides they play different positions and are totally different players.

* 1979 College Player of the Year - Indiana State University
* 1979 June 8th signs with the Boston Celtics - 5 year $3.25 Million
* 1980 NBA Rookie of the Year
* 1980 - 92 (12) time NBA All Star
* 1982 NBA All Star Game MVP
* 1981 - 86 (3) NBA World Championship
* 1984 NBA Playoff MVP
* 1984 - 86 (3) time NBA MVP
* 1985 Scores 60 Points vs. Atlanta
* 1986 NBA Playoff MVP
* 1986 - 88 3 Point King - NBA All-Star Weekend
* 1987 "Bird Steals the Ball"
* 1990 71 Consecutive Free Throws - ended on Feb.13, '90
* 1990 20,000 Points
* 1992 Co-Captain, The Dream Team
* Career 40+ Points 52 times (5 in the Playoffs)
* 50+ Points 5 times

I would rather entertain Bird/Peja, only problem is Peja has to get tougher to talk about that.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Venom said:
Wait, is this a serious post? Larry Bird was not a good defensive player? Huh? The guy boarded like a champ and read passing lanes better than anyone else in the history of the game. Just because he didn't look athletic while doing it does not mean he was a bad defender.
He sucked on D as he got older + heavier + had the bad back. That's the memory a lot of people have of him. His golden era was actually 20yrs ago, before some of the posters on this board were even born.

Oh, and just for the record, there is no remote comparison between Larry Bird, only one of the 5 or so best players ever to lace up sneakers, and any player currently on the Kings roster. There is only guy in the entire history of the franchise which even deserves to be discussed with him, and that was Oscar Robertson.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
He sucked on D as he got older + heavier + had the bad back. That's the memory a lot of people have of him. His golden era was actually 20yrs ago, before some of the posters on this board were even born.

Oh, and just for the record, there is no remote comparison between Larry Bird, only one of the 5 or so best players ever to lace up sneakers, and any player currently on the Kings roster. There is only guy in the entire history of the franchise which even deserves to be discussed with him, and that was Oscar Robertson.
Wow, before anyone has a heart attack or kicks me off the board, I'd like to clarify things alittle by saying it wasn't my intention to directly compare Bibby to Bird. The only reason I ever brought it up in the first place was because of how people were criticizing Bibby for his bad defense. Bird was my favorite player growing up as a kid. The things that stood out the most to me were his killer instinct, his great scroring, his unbelievable passing, the "Kodak" memory, his great all-around game in general. However, his defense was never anything that stood out to me. Yes, he was a good rebounder, I"ll give him that, but he (as my dad would often say) played "matador" defense where he just waved at the guy that was driving by him. He had many nights where he'd light up the score board, basically have a triple double and lead his team to the win (but his man would also have a big scoring night in the process).

My thought process was of how Bibby is the Kings best player now; he's the one who runs the show, leads the team. However, as it has already been pointed out several times, he can play "matador" defense alot while still playing a very good all around offensive game while leading the Kings to a win. It was in that respect that I compared the two players; that they can both at times play bad defense while more than making up for it on the offensive end. My main point is that basically Bibby is the least of our worries at this point.

You won't find a bigger Bird fan than me, I apologize for mentioning Bibby in the same sentence. I was just trying to get a point across, I'm not saying Bibby is anywhere near as good as Larry Legend. I will say though that it's even more insulting to compare Peja to Bird, that's just downright offensive! :)