[Game] Kings @ Wizards - Monday, March 11 - 4PT/7ET

We can play what if’s all day. Any coaching change has risk. Both upside and downside.

Dave clearly added to the question marks with the small ball line-up. It’s not anyone’s call but Vlade’s but if he does make a move he will have un-ambiguous reasons for doing so.
Fingers crossed small ball was a necessity with bags injured. Yes he tried it before but it wasn't working so hopefully he goes away from it with Bagley back

Fingers crossed small ball was a necessity with bags injured. Yes he tried it before but it wasn't working so hopefully he goes away from it with Bagley back
It was a necessity after adding Barnes, who many feel is a PF.

The BOgi/Beli question was IMO secondary, though clearly BOgi had the prior history of being the better player here

No proof the small ball lineup had any affect on the wins losses either way. There is no cause/effect relationship with going to it and losing. Buddy being off, BOgi, WCS, missing Bagley, the competition, all factors

Yeah perhaps. Bagley is a better athlete and player than Beli but Beli brings some things that 1st group needs. He helps move the ball, he stretches the floor, he deflects a lot of balls, he makes hockey assists. All things that don’t show up in the stats but impact how that first group plays.

It was a necessity after adding Barnes, who many feel is a PF.

The BOgi/Beli question was IMO secondary, though clearly BOgi had the prior history of being the better player here

No proof the small ball lineup had any affect on the wins losses either way. There is no cause/effect relationship with going to it and losing. Buddy being off, BOgi, WCS, missing Bagley, the competition, all factors
Many would be 1, you.

The Kings have not figured out how to win day games. As a team they shot poorly from the start. They bobbled the ball a lot. But they did not give up and were right there at the end. I am not nearly as worried about this team or Coach J as a lot of people.

I would like to pass on Willie's contract and replace him with a player that can make foul shots, and is a threat from 15 that is a serious rebounder. Willie gets nervous around the basket on offense and misses a lot of layups when he should be jamming the ball. Changing out that piece would make a difference. The other pieces are pretty much there, they just need more experience. Every one of these close games is going into the collective memory bank. Not making the playoffs might be disappointing, but the Kings are right there. Huge progress in so many ways.

I think Joerger is a solid coach. Players seems to like him and we’ve seen good development albeit most of the key players being high lottery picks (we have seen WCS and Bogey regress though). He also deserves credit for having a team that has strong chemistry and genuinely want each other to do well.

He has some big flaws though. His in-game coaching and adjustments are subpar. He seems like a “my way or the highway” type of guy, very set in his ways and resistant to outside feedback. This small ball lineup has proven over and over again to not work. How many more quarters of digging yourself into a big hole before you realize it simply won’t work? He deserves another year or 2 but if we don’t make the playoffs next year, we should be looking elsewhere

100% how I feel. Joerger has done excellent with regards to player development. Acclimating a few young players is difficult. Acclimating almost an entire NBA team of young players is even more difficult. Many coaches with this task have failed tremendously. For that Joerger definitely deserves a lot of credit.

However his rotations and adjustments are often so questionable that they wind up costing us games. He'll leave the bench in if the other team goes on a major run. He pulls players who are hot from the floor too soon. His small ball lineup he has been playing is a bad lineup and should have been scratched after the first game.

We should make the playoffs next year. If we don't, unless a major injury to someone like Fox occurs, it should cost Joerger his job.

I'm so tired of Willie. A super athletic guy his size should dominate the boards. Beli comes in and not only out rebounds him but doubles him up on the offensive glass. The guy just doesn't go after rebounds and I don't understand it. Not only that but him missing multiple point blank shots just made me throw up my hands. Kings need to let him walk and upgrade the center position this offseason.

I'm so tired of Willie. A super athletic guy his size should dominate the boards. Beli comes in and not only out rebounds him but doubles him up on the offensive glass. The guy just doesn't go after rebounds and I don't understand it. Not only that but him missing multiple point blank shots just made me throw up my hands. Kings need to let him walk and upgrade the center position this offseason.
It shouldn’t be too difficult replacing him. He is in the bottom tier when it comes to centers. It’s unfortunate since he is a unique talent, but he has such a one dimensional game it puts so much pressure on a team filled with players who struggle to create their own shot.

Once teams figured out how to defend the lob is when we lost the edge we had.

You know... all coaches are infallible. That’s why no one then ever get fired
Coaches don’t get to where they are by being outwitted by random users on Kingsfans.com. But it takes self-reflection to understand that. I don’t know if it’s delusional, but maybe arrogant, of not understanding there may be a bigger picture than what appears to you

Coaches don’t get to where they are by being outwitted by random users on Kingsfans.com. But it takes self-reflection to understand that. I don’t know if it’s delusional, but maybe arrogant, of not understanding there may be a bigger picture than what appears to you
Again, I love the all coaches are infallible and only other coaches and pundits can critique them mentality. Self reflection? Really??

Keyboard coaches on here think they can do better than Joerger is delusional.
Don’t think anyone said they were a better coach than Joeger. We did say the small ball line-up was a bad decision. And you might call us Monday morning coaches except we said it from the beginning. Guess what. The data shows we were correct.

When you support a comment with data it will be the first time.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Don’t think anyone said they were a better coach than Joeger. We did say the small ball line-up was a bad decision. And you might call us Monday morning coaches except we said it from the beginning. Guess what. The data shows we were correct.

When you support a comment with data it will be the first time.
Delusional.

I think Joerger is a solid coach. Players seems to like him and we’ve seen good development albeit most of the key players being high lottery picks (we have seen WCS and Bogey regress though). He also deserves credit for having a team that has strong chemistry and genuinely want each other to do well.

He has some big flaws though. His in-game coaching and adjustments are subpar. He seems like a “my way or the highway” type of guy, very set in his ways and resistant to outside feedback. This small ball lineup has proven over and over again to not work. How many more quarters of digging yourself into a big hole before you realize it simply won’t work? He deserves another year or 2 but if we don’t make the playoffs next year, we should be looking elsewhere

Some of us on this very board chirped all year last year about play style and misuse being a root cause of the teams dismay and were hit with the same retorts about coach hating and how Fox was just simply a bust, and Buddy sucked, and blah, blah, blah. While I can't disagree that this bolded line isn't true as of now, at this point can anyone else not at least see the possibility that it might not be who is out there doing it, but what they are doing? Again, how does a team play smaller on average and drift closer to the rim and farther away from the 3 as a result? Those things do not compute. You typically go small so you can do the opposite. Not that it will ultimately succeed to the maximum result in terms of wins or losses desired but I can't see how we can make an assessment when they really haven't even gotten a shot to take advantage of the situation.

Question, who out there is better? Unless the arey getting Pop or Stevens it would be stupid. Walton? huge step backwards.
The Kings likely have their pieces for the most part, if there is to be a change you find the right coach for those pieces. If it's not a name, big deal. In fact, you don't go out and seek a name, or rings, or any of that above all else otherwise you'll just repeat a George Karl situation. Although the irony is his system would be perfect for this group, just as Dave Joergers system was perfect for Demarcus Cousins. Anyway, you identify a coach that has mastered the style you want your team to play and find out who he's been grooming. Teams do it all the time. Simply find someone that identifies how the players are used best and then ride that to hell and back. As I see it, any coach fluent in pick and roll and spread offense would greatly help this team. Hopefully that man goes by the name, David Joerger. He's already shown he can 180, now it's time to turn a few more degrees.

Keyboard coaches on here think they can do better than Joerger is delusional.
I think we saw this same post on this board at some point last year. I seem to recall speed of the game being somewhat primary in those posts. Yep. Kingsfans posters already earned those stripes bud. Being critical and coming up with assessments as to what you are watching is why the board exists. Any other explanation would be delusional.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Quite possibly the most unintentionally revelatory post you've ever made.

I think major two reasons for the recent struggles

1. Pressure got to them that result of so many stupid turnovers and forced plays
2. The league has figured out how to defend us:
Buddy: Make him dribble
Fox: Be physical with him
Bjelly: Run him off the 3pt line
Boogie: make him play one on one
Willy: Aggressive on the O-board and defend the lob

Disappointing end to the playoff run, but I'll gladly take our "season" ending on Marc 12th rather than before the new year as has been the case for over a decade. Bagley being out couldn't have come at a worse time when we went through that gauntlet stretch of teams and our offense completely changes because we dont have an interior offensive presence to take the pressure off our lead ball-handlers. Not a coincidence 2 of our roughest stretches this season were when he was out with injury.

Think Barnes is a keeper. Defense is significantly better with him on the floor and after a rough start with his shot when some of you were panicking that he couldnt shoot, he's shooting 41% from 3 on 4.8 attempts/game in his past 5. Getting him an off-season to work with the team and the playbook will help tremendously; I imagine it's incredibly difficult to work in a 35+ min rotation guy mid-season.