[Game] Kings @ Heat, 11/02/2022 4:30pm Pacific, 7:30pm Eastern

Best set of basketball twins

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Can the Kings protest the game? I know the odds of a restart are extremely rare since Miami isn't back on the schedule, but provisionally, in the event that one game was the difference between ending the playoff drought?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I’m curious if anyone has actual data on this claim.
I think it's in the L2M report thread, but there's data that shows we lost double digit games in the 2021-2022 based on blown L2M calls in games decided by a single possession. And that we showed up 32 times overall on the wrong end of calls.

Should have had their asses 2-0 on the year. It doesn't get much luckier than injuring the other team's best player and getting away with a blatant travel on a last second shot. Miami didn't deserve to win.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Unfortunately, having this information out there probably only makes things worse for us. The real problem with NBA officiating is how subjective many of the calls are. When all the Tim Donoughy reports came out you could go back and watch games he officiated when he had a stake in the game and I can't tell if he's purposely making calls to help one team or the other. They look just like any other NBA game.

Based on his testimony of how he picked winners from knowing the crew assignments, the main factors here are: (1) Who is the league hyping up in their marketing? (2) Who do the refs get along with and look up to? (3) Who gets the benefit of the doubt because they have established a culture of winning? We haven't been able to benefit from having a brand name superstar since the CWebb days and for whatever reason, every player who comes through here can't help but lobby with the refs after every call. Now we're seen as sore losers too because only sore losers talk about the calls after a loss. Even if Mike Brown was right that they got the call wrong (and clearly he was), saying that really only serves to embarrass the officials publicly which just gives them more reason to have subconscious bias against us. After 20 years of this, there's a lot of psychological baggage adding up to keep us where we are.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Unfortunately, having this information out there probably only makes things worse for us. The real problem with NBA officiating is how subjective many of the calls are. When all the Tim Donoughy reports came out you could go back and watch games he officiated when he had a stake in the game and I can't tell if he's purposely making calls to help one team or the other. They look just like any other NBA game.

Based on his testimony of how he picked winners from knowing the crew assignments, the main factors here are: (1) Who is the league hyping up in their marketing? (2) Who do the refs get along with and look up to? (3) Who gets the benefit of the doubt because they have established a culture of winning? We haven't been able to benefit from having a brand name superstar since the CWebb days and for whatever reason, every player who comes through here can't help but lobby with the refs after every call. Now we're seen as sore losers too because only sore losers talk about the calls after a loss. Even if Mike Brown was right that they got the call wrong (and clearly he was), saying that really only serves to embarrass the officials publicly which just gives them more reason to have subconscious bias against us. After 20 years of this, there's a lot of psychological baggage adding up to keep us where we are.
I really did feel like in the Portland game after the quick challenge the refs intentionally showed up Brown by calling 5-6 straight ticky tack calls right after.

that said, they really do have to do better at the end of game if they want plum nationally televised games or to get playoff assignments, which I assume come with nice bonuses. Then again you could just be happy with your relatively easy job and being mediocre at it.

also it is one point in the you know who wouldn't be you know who in Sac column.

I really did feel like in the Portland game after the quick challenge the refs intentionally showed up Brown by calling 5-6 straight ticky tack calls right after.

that said, they really do have to do better at the end of game if they want plum nationally televised games or to get playoff assignments, which I assume come with nice bonuses. Then again you could just be happy with your relatively easy job and being mediocre at it.

also it is one point in the you know who wouldn't be you know who in Sac column.
I think it was more than just 5-6 ticky tack fouls. I think it was a ref wide memo to target Sabonis. I think Brown just bided his time and eventually called out the most egregious missed/wrong call that the NBA had no choice but to agree with instance.

Notice how no call about Brown being fined yet has come out but the mistake has? If Brown doesn't get fined it's probably the most masterful call out of the refs we have ever seen.

Brown was super respectful but at the same time "how did you miss this and then tell me to my face" about it. A stroke of PR genius.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I think it was more than just 5-6 ticky tack fouls. I think it was a ref wide memo to target Sabonis. I think Brown just bided his time and eventually called out the most egregious missed/wrong call that the NBA had no choice but to agree with instance.

Notice how no call about Brown being fined yet has come out but the mistake has? If Brown doesn't get fined it's probably the most masterful call out of the refs we have ever seen.

Brown was super respectful but at the same time "how did you miss this and then tell me to my face" about it. A stroke of PR genius.
I'm talking about a very specific incident in the first game - there was a challenge and then the refs called everything against us for a 4-5 minute stretch after the challenge. It wasn't a target of a player. It was a message to Brown. Calls were on everyone.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
At least on that one there is a judgement call argument about establishing possession. Herro picked up his dribble and set his feet. Then took two steps. There's no nuance or judgement call with his. I don't care about the Blazers one way or another I care about winning games we should win.

At least on that one there is a judgement call argument about establishing possession. Herro picked up his dribble and set his feet. Then took two steps. There's no nuance or judgement call with his. I don't care about the Blazers one way or another I care about winning games we should win.
I don't think the kings are at the point where they can say that they "should" win a game yet, since they are as bad as some of the bad teams. I hope I'm wrong, but all early indications don't look too good. We are headed to another 30 win season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't think the kings are at the point where they can say that they "should" win a game yet, since they are as bad as some of the bad teams. I hope I'm wrong, but all early indications don't look too good. We are headed to another 30 win season.
There's literally stats in this and other threads showing teams are hitting shots at 15-20% above normal and that the Kings are allowing the least amount of uncontested threes in the league by a wide margin, and they have a handful of one possession losses already. Throw in some pretty one-sided officiating and you can make a case this team should be 4-3 right now.

Yes the officiating has been bad but Miami was on the 2nd night of a back to back without Butler (evens out since Fox was out also) and the Kings could not keep them under 115 points. The same team just lost to Indy while both were somewhat fresh. I don't get the outrage at the reffing it's always been this bad unless you are James Harden or Luka in the last 10 years.

Yes the officiating has been bad but Miami was on the 2nd night of a back to back without Butler (evens out since Fox was out also) and the Kings could not keep them under 115 points. The same team just lost to Indy while both were somewhat fresh. I don't get the outrage at the reffing it's always been this bad unless you are James Harden or Luka in the last 10 years.
It is an attempt to build up the Monte Goodwill Bucket for when Shaka decides to shake:

“Goodwill is a term used in accounting that represents the excess amount between the purchase price and fair market value of a business. Goodwill, also referred to as business goodwill, directly impacts a business’s perceived value, often making it synonymous with a good reputation. It is important when considering business acquisitions and is considered an intangible asset."

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-does-goodwill-mean-in-accounting-5207391

Absolutely. Knowing that Herro is likely taking that last shot, I put KZ on him and take my chances. If they won't even use him in spot situations for a stop, then what is his value to the team?
Like all of us, KZ is not the same person today that he will be tomorrow. He may eventually be the obvious choice by those who are paid to make the decisions.

I think it's in the L2M report thread, but there's data that shows we lost double digit games in the 2021-2022 based on blown L2M calls in games decided by a single possession. And that we showed up 32 times overall on the wrong end of calls.
I wonder what’s to keep the Kings from suing the league over lost revenue from these documented systemic errors? I think a hefty fine and a few first round picks seems quite fair actually…

this ^. The Kings have 2 games in the next 5 against a reeling GS and 1 game against a bad Laker team. All are must wins.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It is an attempt to build up the Monte Goodwill Bucket for when Shaka decides to shake:

“Goodwill is a term used in accounting that represents the excess amount between the purchase price and fair market value of a business. Goodwill, also referred to as business goodwill, directly impacts a business’s perceived value, often making it synonymous with a good reputation. It is important when considering business acquisitions and is considered an intangible asset."

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/what-does-goodwill-mean-in-accounting-5207391
shaka decides to shake. you got me laughing out loud here, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.