[Game] Kings @ Bulls, 2/16/2022 5pm Pacific 8pm Eastern

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings roll into Chicago after a 24 point loss to the Brooklyn Nets that came not because the Kings played their customarily bad defense, more on that in a bit, but because they were simply allergic to making baskets. As a reward, they now have to face one of the best teams in the eastern conference (and the team we all kind of have come to assume the Kings front office is trying to emulate), the Chicago Bulls.

The Bulls come into tonight's game on the back of Demar DeRozan, who is playing the best stretch of basketball by an individual in Chicago Bull history, which is absolutely insane because, well, we've all seen The Last Dance.

In addition to Demar's absolutely ridiculous play of late, Nikola Vucevic is averaging 24.4 points, 13.6 rebounds, 3.9 assists, and 1.4 blocks per game in the month of February and playing like the guy the Bulls gave up multiple first round picks and prospects for at last year's deadline. In other words, Domantas is going to have to play better than he did in Brooklyn for us to win this game (I know- amazing analysis on my part).

If there is a silver lining to this game aside from the All-Star Break coming immediately following the final buzzer and the Kings getting a week to try to figure out how to incorporate a half-roster full of new players, it's that the Bulls are pretty much missing all their guards due to injury. All-Star and former Vlade crush Zach LaVine is out with jumper's knee, Lonzo is also out indefinitely following knee surgery (which may actually be a bad thing for the Kings given De'Aaron Fox's tendency to absolutely destroy him every single time they play), and Alex Caruso had his wrist broken by Grayson Allen and is out for a while after surgery. In their place, the Bulls will be starting Coby White and hometown hero breakout rookie Ayo Dosunmu. Coby White spent a lot of the season lost in the shuffle and on the bench behind the better two-way players on the roster but has come on fairly well in place of them of late. He's also by most metrics, the worst defender in the Bulls rotation, which doesn't bode well for him since he['s going up against newly rejuvenated De'Aaron Fox.

The Bulls are a very good team, even diminished by their wave of injuries, and Billy Donovan is a better coach than Alvin Gentry. At the same time, the Kings are hopefully not going to shoot as poorly as they did on Monday and are deep where the Bulls aren't. I've resigned myself to DeRozan having another 35+ point explosion but hopefully, the Kings' collection of strong perimeter defenders (still have to do a double take whenever I type this) can at least slow him down when the game matters. I'm also hoping for a strong bounce-back game from Domantas Sabonis and Harrison Barnes, both of whom looked completely flustered throughout the entire Brooklyn game.

Let's go into the break with a win and momentum coming down the home stretch.

Final Prediction
The Kings are better than they showed against the Nets. A shocking victory over the Bulls on the backs of the new Big Two will prove me right. Kings 121, Bulls 115

Having a team with more than one or two good defenders is a breath of fresh air even in a loss. We posted the lowest team field goal percentage of our season and still had a couple opportunities to get back in the game. That is a good sign.

-Yes to DDV and Off Night sharing the court more often
-Yes to Fox Off Night DDV Barnes Sabonis lineup for stretches
-Yes to Barnes being aggressive and looking for his shot
-yes to Fox midrange
-Yes to Sabonis looking for his offense
-no to Jr Uh Oh slinging "dimes" from the top of the key
-no to DDV with the Curry 3s
-no to Metu taking any 3s from the left side of the basket
-no to Gentry sitting Sabonis with 6 minutes left in the game

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Having a team with more than one or two good defenders is a breath of fresh air even in a loss. We posted the lowest team field goal percentage of our season and still had a couple opportunities to get back in the game. That is a good sign.

-Yes to DDV and Off Night sharing the court more often
-Yes to Fox Off Night DDV Barnes Sabonis lineup for stretches
-Yes to Barnes being aggressive and looking for his shot
-yes to Fox midrange
-Yes to Sabonis looking for his offense
-no to Jr Uh Oh slinging "dimes" from the top of the key
-no to DDV with the Curry 3s
-no to Metu taking any 3s from the left side of the basket
-no to Gentry sitting Sabonis with 6 minutes left in the game
Yes to DJ taking all of Holmes minutes.

Must win game for my excitement levels, I don't care how good DeRozan and the Bulls are, if we lose tonight I'm going back to apathy and occasional Tankathon lotto refreshes.
I’m actually fine with moral victories that atleast tell us that Sabonis/Fox is a legit core we can build on because I would still rather have a top 5 pick than make the play in. Like a bunch of games like Joergers last season here. Close, looked pretty good, but still a little too thin and uneven.

for me to not be bummed if the Kings end up with a 10-12 pick is if they went off on a 16-6 or 15-7 run to close the season. Win at a pace good teams win at. I think it will probably take less than a good team pace to fall ass backward into the play in so the Kings should be careful.

More cutting and passing out the gate, less 3 point attempts. We can shoot the three, but let it come to us and not force anything like last game that put us down 19 after like 50 missed threes. Let Sabonis and Fox establish an interior threat, then start building off that with the slashers, then 3pts

gunks

Hall of Famer
I’m actually fine with moral victories that atleast tell us that Sabonis/Fox is a legit core we can build on because I would still rather have a top 5 pick than make the play in. Like a bunch of games like Joergers last season here. Close, looked pretty good, but still a little too thin and uneven.

for me to not be bummed if the Kings end up with a 10-12 pick is if they went off on a 16-6 or 15-7 run to close the season. Win at a pace good teams win at. I think it will probably take less than a good team pace to fall ass backward into the play in so the Kings should be careful.
Pretty sure that's why Vivek wanted McNair to make win-now moves.

I honestly have a really good feeling about this game and i think we have a chance. Gotta make some 3’s and our defense needs to be tighter than ever. Communication on both ends will be as key as ever before. Idk why, but i REALLY want this win for the Kings before the All star break.

Derozan is a tough SOB. He’s slaughtered us even before his ascension this season, so I’m hoping we can withstand the inevitable onslaught and play some scrappy, hard nosed ball out there. Let’s knock some of these guys on their butts (legally).

34% on wide-open 3's - ugly. Well, Bags got shipped out, but still have a lot of average or bad 3-pt shooters taking them - Davion (33%), Fox (27%), Metu (28%), and now DiVincenzo (28%), Sabonis (32%), and Lamb (34%).

HB is now our only 40% 3-pt shooter, and Holiday is the only other rotation guy shooting above 35% (37%) this year.
DiVincenzo will get his stroke back soon. Book it!

Derozan is a tough SOB. He’s slaughtered us even before his ascension this season, so I’m hoping we can withstand the inevitable onslaught and play some scrappy, hard nosed ball out there. Let’s knock some of these guys on their butts (legally).
I def expect a tough, bounceback game from the Kings tonight and don't expect them to settle for a ton of 3's. They have every incentive to show, against a good team, that post-trade they're not the Same-Old-Sorry-A$$-Kangz. And I think they will, win or lose.

I do love Richaun, but would like to see Damian and/or Alex Len in the mix against Vucevic in those 15 min Sabonis is out.

I def expect a tough, bounceback game from the Kings tonight and don't expect them to settle for a ton of 3's. They have every incentive to show, against a good team, that post-trade they're not the Same-Old-Sorry-A$$-Kangz. And I think they will, win or lose.

I do love Richaun, but would like to see Damian and/or Alex Len in the mix against Vucevic in those 15 min Sabonis is out.
Pre-Trade Deadline Kangz played hard against good teams. Hopefully that residual is still around along with the new talent

I'm talking about what he showed in his breakout year. He's proven he can shoot the ball IMO
he was arguably the 4th best player on a championship team. It’s pretty rare a guy like that comes to a poverty franchise at this stage of his career. Yes, he didn’t have a choice but hey we lucked out as he is also a RFA

the silver lining here is Gentry will probably not be back next season with these bonehead moves. Your GM traded for this guy twice bro, prolly should play him to be on his good side if you want a chance to get that interim tag taken off.
Nah. Holiday really needs to be in the starting lineup for now - for his chemistry w/Sabonis, his 3-pt shooting, and his D. DD's day as a starter will likely come, but it doesn't have to be now while he's struggling badly w/his shot. The guy's not a good shooter, period, but in 19 games back from injury this year - 33% overall. Yikes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nah. Holiday really needs to be in the starting lineup for now - for his chemistry w/Sabonis, his 3-pt shooting, and his D. DD's day as a starter will likely come, but it doesn't have to be now while he's struggling badly w/his shot. The guy's not a good shooter, period, but in 19 games back from injury this year - 33% overall. Yikes.
Plus with Davion out, Big Ragu’s the only other point guard aside from De’Aaron active tonight.