[Game] Kings vs 76ers 1/21/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a parade to the rim for most of the 2nd, the 3rd, and beginning of 4th.

I really would have liked to see what Keon Ellis could have done.

We signed PJ twice because coach was tired of the defense, but he doesn't play.

Queta?

This would be the right time to bring Queta for a 10 game stretch and try him out, opposing g-league teams have started gameplanning and double teaming him constantly, and the Ford and Steward duo is straight up playing hero ball instead of playing team offense, so theres just not much more to do there other than getting some game time.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Coach Brown doesn't seem to think Queta has much to contribute. We've needed a guy who fits exactly his profile all season but he just sits on the bench even when he is active. Maybe if Metu misses a lot of games he'll get a chance to play for more than 2 random minutes every couple weeks but it's also close to the trade deadline. It seems more likely that McNair will make a trade for a veteran.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Part of the problem with this game is that Kings just don't match up with the physicality of the Sixers, even without Embiid in the game. Let's face it, guys like Fox, Heurter and Barnes aren't the epitome of physical toughness. That's not their game. Murray can definitely develop into that guy, but as a rookie it's asking a little much of him. Sabonis can't do it all. (Metu was especially needed in this game). The Sixers use their girth in hip checking and banging and the refs let them get away with it. I don't think anybody on the Kings other than Sabonis knows what a hip check is. The second part of the problem was the Kings obviously got full of themselves when they got the big lead. Hubris tends to come before the big fall, especially on the defensive end.

I think the problem with Queta is that this team is in win-now mode and he isn’t really a win now player. He still has to develop and get used to the NBA game but we don’t necessarily have the time or patience to sit through those mistakes this season. Queta fouled a lottt during his limited time on the court, which is a big part his adjustment period for the NBA level. In any of the last 16 years, we would have had the time to let him play through those mistakes. Sadly, this year we don’t.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Part of the problem with this game is that Kings just don't match up with the physicality of the Sixers, even without Embiid in the game. Let's face it, guys like Fox, Heurter and Barnes aren't the epitome of physical toughness. That's not their game. Murray can definitely develop into that guy, but as a rookie it's asking a little much of him. Sabonis can't do it all. (Metu was especially needed in this game). The Sixers use their girth in hip checking and banging and the refs let them get away with it. I don't think anybody on the Kings other than Sabonis knows what a hip check is. The second part of the problem was the Kings obviously got full of themselves when they got the big lead. Hubris tends to come before the big fall, especially on the defensive end.
Yep, that's what I saw too. KZ could have helped us in the third quarter to fight back with a little physicality but his faux pas at the end of the half probably kept him on the bench. I don't think there was ever a point where the guys felt like they weren't going to win this game. We expect our offense to carry us in the fourth and it almost did. They just weren't bringing the level of effort needed to make it happen. We're still 3rd in the Western Conference, we're still leading the league in offense. Sometimes losing a game is a good thing if the team doesn't deserve to win. That way they don't reinforce bad habits.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yep, that's what I saw too. KZ could have helped us in the third quarter to fight back with a little physicality but his faux pas at the end of the half probably kept him on the bench. I don't think there was ever a point where the guys felt like they weren't going to win this game. We expect our offense to carry us in the fourth and it almost did. They just weren't bringing the level of effort needed to make it happen. We're still 3rd in the Western Conference, we're still leading the league in offense. Sometimes losing a game is a good thing if the team doesn't deserve to win. That way they don't reinforce bad habits.
If we look on the bright side, the Sixers are an ideal team to play just before playing Memphis. It's not like playing a finesse run and gun team just before playing bruisers. Brown should have a field day using the Sixers as a teaching tool in his film session. Both are very tough physical teams that want to bully you into submission, and of course Mempis has Ja for the extra spice.

Coach Brown doesn't seem to think Queta has much to contribute. We've needed a guy who fits exactly his profile all season but he just sits on the bench even when he is active. Maybe if Metu misses a lot of games he'll get a chance to play for more than 2 random minutes every couple weeks but it's also close to the trade deadline. It seems more likely that McNair will make a trade for a veteran.
that or the front office doesn’t want to expose him prior to the trade deadline.

but regardless the most important thing is Metu’s health. Let’s hope he is okay

This is one of my complaints with Brown. He tends to sit bench players indefinitely after a random mistake. The odds of KZ making that same bad play again are slim. He should allow his players some room to learn from a mistake, while still being open to using their strengths in the same game.

There isn't a single player in history who doesn't make a dumb play sometimes.

Important to keep these notes in mind. Still so many things to clean up and we see even more ceiling with this roster with a few changes and they're still 3rd in the conference. That's pretty dang good.

I think a big thing to continue has been the ability to bounce back after a bad game and play well. I don't necessarily mean beat the Grizzlies, but play back up to the standard the Kings have set.

This is one of my complaints with Brown. He tends to sit bench players indefinitely after a random mistake. The odds of KZ making that same bad play again are slim. He should allow his players some room to learn from a mistake, while still being open to using their strengths in the same game.

There isn't a single player in history who doesn't make a dumb play sometimes.
This is true, but I think we've also kind of collectively forgotten that good teams don't allow poor mistakes like that, especially from their developmental/young players. If you want to play on a good team, you have to be damn near perfect on the floor and enhance the key rotation guys, not detract from them. If you play, it's because you're making the team better, not because you need developmental time. Steve Kerr/Steph Curry/Dray/Klay aren't putting up with that sort of KZ mistake (as shown by how little they trust their Moody/Kuminga/Wiseman core of young guys. All dudes with significantly more pedigree than KZ)

My guess is that's why the bench has mostly been musical chairs this season outside of Davion and Monk. The inconsistency gets on Brown's nerves and guys lose their opportunity to nail down a rotation slot. Lyles has probably been the closest of the 8-13 guys on the team with his play the last month to earning some sort of a leash

Both. We gave up a 20 point lead and also gave up 129 points.
True, but putting up 22 in the 3rd is what did this team in considering the type of team they are. This was a test about go to potential. At some point, when the team you're facing forces one of your stars to beat them with scoring as they did with Sabonis in the 2nd half, he either takes it and sticks it right up where it belongs or not. Last night he didn't. If he IS the PG then this team either needs another flamethrow or someone else currently on the roster has to step up. The playoffs are waiting and while his cap/assets aren't all the way there to make that next splash, they could be should Monte play his cards right.

Yes, this team has to be better on defense and in certain ways they're good while in others they're probably as bad as one might expect. That's likely not going to change much based simply on roster construction. The good thing is all of Fox, Huerter, Barnes, Murray and Sabonis show they can D up when the time is called if they play hard and pressure the heck out of teams. Huerter especially last night showed something that will come in handy should this team make the playoffs. As for that extra 2nd or 3rd option. Barnes has been huge but is he enough? We'll see. Murray had a great shooting night the other night, but that was really what it was. He also finished well a few times but his role outside of a late iso play showing the signature drop step spin was the same game that's been netting him his typical production all year. The Sixers didn't make him the open option like the Thunder did. That's why I think Brown has to start working in more of Murrays individual game sooner than later.

I hate back to back home games.

They shouldn’t have lost to this crap team minus their 2 best players regardless, but, still, I don’t believe they lose this game up 21 with proper rest.

This was a schedule loss.
I gotta be real on this one, brother. It was also the Sixers 5th game in 7 nights on the road without their 2 best players and down 21. No excuse for it!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Do people not understand that there is an excluded middle ground between "I am not heartbroken over this loss because X" and "I am excusing this loss"? Like, are you guys all doing a real-life version of that meme with homegirl from The Office, where you're looking at those two statements like, "They're the same picture"?

Do people not understand that there is an excluded middle ground between "I am not heartbroken over this loss because X" and "I am excusing this loss"? Like, are you guys all doing a real-life version of that meme with homegirl from The Office, where you're looking at those two statements like, "They're the same picture"?
I'm still not happy about the loss but with the positive news on Metu coming in today I've now filed it comfortably into the "welp, onto the next" category.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm still not happy about the loss but with the positive news on Metu coming in today I've now filed it comfortably into the "welp, onto the next" category.
Which would, in fact, be part of the aforementioned middle ground: "Last night sucked, but I'm already over it." Like, where do Kings fans get off freaking out over a January loss, like y'all were going to go from lottery to title contender overnight?

Which would, in fact, be part of the aforementioned middle ground: "Last night sucked, but I'm already over it." Like, where do Kings fans get off freaking out over a January loss, like y'all were going to go from lottery to title contender overnight?
Although one or two posters called me out as making excuses I was having a mini freakout over potentially losing a player in what was a pretty meaningless game. Obviously you want to win a game where your opponent rests their two biggest names but it also just goes to show that they were also coming in on a win streak and in 3rd place and were content to let the chips fall where they may despite the fact that their offseason expectations extend beyond "host a playoff game".

Give Murray a couple years of NBA nutrition and weight training along with offseasons and seasons spent with Domas and with his work ethic I’d hope he can grow into a tough physical player down low. Huerter seems to play bigger than him a lot of the time which is sort of understandable cuz their only an inch apart but at the same time it’s not something you want to see between your SG and PF

to quote mark jones Domas has gotta put him in the weight room and we may see him develop into something real special

Give Murray a couple years of NBA nutrition and weight training along with offseasons and seasons spent with Domas and with his work ethic I’d hope he can grow into a tough physical player down low. Huerter seems to play bigger than him a lot of the time which is sort of understandable cuz their only an inch apart but at the same time it’s not something you want to see between your SG and PF

to quote mark jones Domas has gotta put him in the weight room and we may see him develop into something real special
I agree that getting stronger will help but for Keegan it’s mostly mental. The way he was ripping rebounds off the rim against OkC was evidence of that. He is not naturally aggressive but luckily he takes to criticism well

Murray had a great shooting night the other night, but that was really what it was. He also finished well a few times but his role outside of a late iso play showing the signature drop step spin was the same game that's been netting him his typical production all year. The Sixers didn't make him the open option like the Thunder did.
I’d disagree with this slightly. He had a dunk, 3 mid range shots and a drive to the basket. A drive and kick to Lyles for the three and 3 of his 5 threes point baskets were off Sabonis screens with a hand right in the face. That’s really the ideal shot mix for him in my opinion. I think as he gets a bit more confident in those drives his game opens up immensely and his passing is better than I thought it would be based on college and early this season. Eventually a few post looks on mismatches make sense but the Kings don’t really have much incentive to expand his game because as you pointed out, we have a better iso player in Barnes on the roster. Even KVon has shown more of that than some expected.

Yeah, 1-game mishaps like this don't matter. What starts to matter is if this play extends to 5+ games and now you're really starting to affect your season and playoff chances/seeding. The Kings at multiple points in the last few years have actually played pretty well for like 50+ games, but they could never seem to get away from the 1-9 type stretch that just wrecked their season. Sometimes multiple streaks in a single year

The Kings have been great at bouncing back and haven't really had a super poor extended play streak this season. Hoping for the same here.

Given that it was the second night of a back-to-back, and Coach Brown went all out with his starters to win the first game, I think he relied too much on his top five in this one. After all, they were the ones that gave up ten points in the last 1:44 of the second quarter. Then the team only scored 22 in the third quarter. Sabonis and company were clearly tired by the end: 38, 38, 41, 38, 31 minutes for those five. On the other side of the ledger, the bench guys did not have enough time to get in a rhythm, with the exception of Monk, with 21 minutes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yeah, 1-game mishaps like this don't matter. What starts to matter is if this play extends to 5+ games and now you're really starting to affect your season and playoff chances/seeding. The Kings at multiple points in the last few years have actually played pretty well for like 50+ games, but they could never seem to get away from the 1-9 type stretch that just wrecked their season. Sometimes multiple streaks in a single year

The Kings have been great at bouncing back and haven't really had a super poor extended play streak this season. Hoping for the same here.
I hear you, and I receive that, but don't you think y'all ought to lose two games in a row, before you start worrying about a hypothetical five-plus game losing streak?

Status
Not open for further replies.