[Game] Kings vs 76ers 1/21/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, we could have won this game without Harden and Embiid. Too bad, the Kings didn't get the job done. There is some glaring problem with this team. #1, they give up way too many second chance shots. Not just this game but other games as well. It seems like teams know that the defense the Kings play is conducive to giving up offensive rebound so they're having their guys crashing the board. You play your heart out in defense, making them miss the shot only to see them get another rebound. Now, I understand the way this team play help defense can be chaotic as far as player being out of position to rebound....but if that's the case, there's got to be a collective unit to come to the paint to help with the rebound. This team need a better backup center to fill out for Sabonis preferably someone who can play good D and rebound as well.

I agreed, Malik has been off lately. He tends to make a lot of turnover as well...got to be smart with those layup with three defenders around you. His pick n roll with Sabonis has always been bread and butter but in this game...sometimes he doesn't even take his time to get to the correct side of the court and angle to make it effective. It's all about patient and I think Malik at times tend to play in a hurry and that can be a problem.

Sabonis didn't play particular well in certain area in this game I admit. His defense and the angle he took in pick n roll was off letting Maxey directly drive at him for a layup for crunch time. His turnover in crunch as well. Sixers play hard and aggressive and getting some luck as well I admit....like that 3 at the end of the Half is bs. Also, this team need to recognize that the other team was in foul trouble and it's important to try to draw as much foul as you can especially when the game is so close. This mean it's time for Fox to continue attacking the basket any chance he get.

Home losses to Washington and Charlotte
I would say this loss is one of the worst simply because they have no Harden and Embiid and the Kings were up huge double digits lead. This Philly team have no business of winning at Golden1 I don't care what anyone said. They don't have their superstars. Now, if this game took place in Philly, then I can see their chances.

Home losses to Washington and Charlotte
Those were last month(he said this month) but I’ll argue both of those lineups were better than the lineup the kings faced tonight. There are other intangibles(better coached, confidence) that work in Philly’s favor in comparison to those teams, but those teams were more talented and most importantly, the Kings weren’t up 21 points in either of those games

Well, horrid loss, but this is why you make sure you go beat up the Houstons and the Magic when you have the opportunity. Kings gave away one here and they're bound to do again several more times this season. What the Kings have done extremely well this season is not a bad loss tank the season and extend out to 5+ games. Still 0.5 game up on NOP and 2 games up on Dallas. Sky isn't falling.....yet

I would say this loss is one of the worst simply because they have no Harden and Embiid and the Kings were up huge double digits lead. This Philly team have no business of winning at Golden1 I don't care what anyone said. They don't have their superstars. Now, if this game took play in Philly, then it's another story.
Yup. They've lost several bad games at home. With a good home record, this team could currently sit at or near the 1 seed

Those were last month(he said this month) but I’ll argue both of those lineups were better than the lineup the kings faced tonight. There are other intangible(better coached, confidence) that work in Philly’s favor in comparison to those teams, but those teams were more talented and most importantly, the Kings weren’t up 21 points in either of those games
We're underestimating Philly here. Philly's record without either Harden or Embiid has been pretty good. They are just a deep and disciplined team who has the personnel and know how to beat the kings.

So no triple double for Domas they took away a rebound
He got basically all his points and assists in the first half anyways. He was running the offense masterfully, then we went heavy to Fox drives carrying the scoring load in the second half. Which is fine since it’s emerging as a pattern this year and we’ve been winning but I still wonder whether it’ll be more mixed up and less predictable in the future

Personally I feel like the Charlotte loss was the worst because they are a bottom 3 team and if only we had been respectable at the free throw line we would have won that game. Then there is the Lakers not because they are that bad, but because of historic reasons.

Guys yes this was a tough loss but playing back to back with a team with a winning culture is really tough,yes I know they didn't have their superstars but you could see in the rebounding alone the tired legs,we have to find away to keep Domas and a few others on the bench atleast 6 extra mins per game...All that being said it's just one loss and I agree with katy a building block and adversity we need to take the next step,we haven't been losing these games much this year when we have the game in hand...Let's get the next one

We're underestimating Philly here. Philly's record without either Harden or Embiid has been pretty good. They are just a deep and disciplined team who has the personnel and know how to beat the kings.
Small sample size. They wouldn’t get far for very long with tonight’s lineup IMO. That’s how I estimate them. Maybe it’s under or over. I’m not familiar with the other games they won with both Embiid and Harden out and what the circumstances were for the teams they beat. It’s more about how we estimate the Kings. Is it overestimating the Kings to think they need to win games at home against a team missing their two best players when they have already built a 21 point lead?

It’s not throwing away the whole season to acknowledge this was a terrible loss. We can only react to the games as they come. Tonight was bad.

The theme is bad defense. It almost doesn’t matter what teams put out there. They’re going to put points on the board and I think Rivers knew that when he decided @Kings was load management night. Kinda disrespectful. Kings didn’t make them eat it.

The Atlanta loss was worse (both really but the one at home). Kings had that one in the bag in the last two minutes but completely pooped themselves.

The Lakers loss was also terrible.
Better lineups. No massive lead blown. Even bad officiating to fall back on. Terrible defense but what else is new? I mean, the Thomas Bryant stuff was aggravating and makes it a contender, but here we just got smashed by the corpse of Montrez Harrell in 2023.

That's it, folks...Time to pack up. Move everything back into the shed. And lock that bad boy up until next season...

:p:p:p:p

In all seriousness, as much as this loss hurts (because we clearly had them right where we wanted them at one point during the game), we're still 3rd in the West. And, remember, we lost to the 2nd best team (currently, based on the standings) in the East. We're destined to hit these "minor roadblocks" along the way. What will be more telling is how well the Kings are able to put this loss behind them, and continue to plow through the competition like they've been doing for the most part so far this season.

Take a few deep breaths, Kings Fans...It's not the end of the world. Not yet, at least...

It's amazing that the one season the Kings look fairly great is probably the worst season to be a top 1-3 seed because if the teams in the 5-10 range get healthy/make slight tweaks a lot of them are very good/potentially elite. 7 games over 500. is a incredible return despite some brutal losses. The Kings are probably a legit back up 5/4 man and 3 and D from being an extra serious squad.

Last edited:
It's amazing that the one season the Kings look fairly great is probably the worst season to be a top 1-3 seed because if the teams in the 5-10 range get healthy/make slight tweaks a lot of them are very good/potentially elite. 7 games over 500. is a incredible return despite some brutal losses. The Kings are probably a legit back up 5/4 man and 3 and D from being an extra serious squad.
Hope we don't play the Clippers or Warriors in the first round of the playoffs. Both are sleeping giants who'll undoubtedly wake up once playoff starts.

Wow that was ugly. It looked like we had the tired legs this time and like others have said so many second chance points for them.

was it me not paying attention or it seemed like Sabonis wasn’t operating the post from the
around the free throw line. he seemed to be more isolating it from the wing and allowing himself to not have more options

I would like to point out that this game was in fact lost on the boards.

We had 4 offensive rebounds the entire game and the 6ers had 16.

Shake Milton came in off the bench and grabbed 6 boards, he's a guard, thats more than anyone on the Kings (not named Sabonis).

De'Anthony Melton is 6'2, he's got more rebs than anyone on the Kings not named Sabonis...

n really Sabonis coulda grabbed more too, he avoids blame here because he's played so well, but If there was ever a game we coulda used a massive rebound number from him it was this one, n 9 in 38mins was just not enough to get the job done.

If we're being objecitve the Kings just had a lot of players in this game who played a ton of minutes grab 3 and 4 rebounds respectively, that just isnt good enough to get it done.

The refs arent the reason we got slaughtered on the boards guys, its a personnel issue. Our $11,000,000/year backup C cant help us in games like this where another teams all-star c is sitting on the bench? Holmes has gotta go... Its long overdue. We're starting to lose games over it.

Melton, Harrell, Tucker have always been big plus rebounders n it showed in this game. We put up a good effort though close one. Niang and Milton really hurt us off the bench, wore us down.

Last edited:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yo…didn’t watch the game, on vacation, but saw @SLAB comments pre game. How we doin my man. Lol. My brother said they choked, he had my tix tonight.
I lied, not just because of the L, but because of *how* they lost. Honestly had they just come out and sleepwalked right from the start, they got trap gamed, it happens.

To come out, build a 21 point lead, then lose. Unacceptable. Because of how they lost this one is why it’s possibly the worst loss of the season.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
Sixers are deep talented and (despite legit knocks on Doc’s resume) are well coached. They’re 10-6 without Harden this year and 8-4 without Embiid. None of the guys who went off on us are scrubs. And depth is a huge difference between contenders and playoff teams, Sixers still being deeper than us with their top 2 guys out is case in point. There was a time in Sac we had that kind of depth too. But Sixers have had absurd depth for years so I don’t get the panic over this game
This.

As much as it hurt, hat tip to the Sixers. We didn't lose this game, they beat us, We'll get them next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.