[Game] Kings v. Suns - Sunday, 2/10 - 3PT/6ET

I like Willie best when he scores less, but gets more rebounds. What is going on late in games? He starts blocking shots like others have mentioned before. It is like he only plays hard at the end.
I can see that, but that might be because I'm looking for it. What I can imagine being the case, though (even though I admit that I don't see it clearly), is Willie changes his strategy at times, especially late in games, and he goes from being a fast runner to being a guy who skys for rebounds and blocks. I'm not sure he goes from playing lazily or without heart or hustle to playing with energy just because he's getting rebounds and blocks. He's happy to let teammates get rebounds and blocks while he uses his speed to be effective elsewhere. This assessment may or may not be valid. I'm just trying to understand the guy and why he plays the way he does. But I think the lazy label that many around here have pinned on him may be because they can more easily see and count the rebounds and blocks that he's getting or not getting.

I can see that, but that might be because I'm looking for it. What I can imagine being the case, though (even though I admit that I don't see it clearly), is Willie changes his strategy at times, especially late in games, and he goes from being a fast runner to being a guy who skys for rebounds and blocks. I'm not sure he goes from playing lazily or without heart or hustle to playing with energy just because he's getting rebounds and blocks. He's happy to let teammates get rebounds and blocks while he uses his speed to be effective elsewhere. This assessment may or may not be valid. I'm just trying to understand the guy and why he plays the way he does. But I think the lazy label that many around here have pinned on him may be because they can more easily see and count the rebounds and blocks that he's getting or not getting.
Yeah, I'm more prone to think this way. Lazy players don't make it this far. They get weeded out quickly. Coaches really do not put up with that. Not even from the 7 footers. Ask Whiteside how quickly he got dropped for being lazy. Inconsistent is something different.

Willie is trying to find his role, which changes every season it seems. I think players who are limited and can only do one thing well sometimes have any easier time than ones who look like they can do it all.

Agree. The lazy label for Willie is a lazy take.

Also, as much grief as Willie gets from not rebounding, sometimes he is the only one left under the basket for the Kings while the other team has three guys crashing the offensive board. Jerry pointed this out yesterday. And when multiple Kings go for the ball, it seems like more than once a game, they knock the ball out of each other's hands trying to grab the rebounds. I must have screamed several times yesterday as the Kings' players played hot potato with the rebound.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Agree. The lazy label for Willie is a lazy take.

Also, as much grief as Willie gets from not rebounding, sometimes he is the only one left under the basket for the Kings while the other team has three guys crashing the offensive board. Jerry pointed this out yesterday. And when multiple Kings go for the ball, it seems like more than once a game, they knock the ball out of each other's hands trying to grab the rebounds. I must have screamed several times yesterday as the Kings' players played hot potato with the rebound.
Bagley vs Giles do it at least once a game. Lol

My favorite part of the night may have been Jerry giving a legit biology lesson to Grant about Flying Foxes. Dude's clearly been studying up on his Discovery channel nature shows during his semi retirement.

J: "The Flying FOX with the steal!"
G: "Flying Fox... I like that one Jerry, did you just come up with that?"
J: "I did. But there really are Flying Foxes, you know."
G: "Is that so?"
J: "Well, yes, they're not actually foxes, but they do fly short distances."
G: "Huh, I didn't know that"
J: "Oh yes, I saw it on the Discovery Channel"

There was more JerryGold in this homestand than we've gotten in a long time. You could tell he'd been saving it up!
Flying Fox.jpeg

Montrez Harrell has been wearing it for a long time as well. I remember Jrue Holiday used to wear his durag as a headband back in his 6er days as well.
I assumed Fox looted it by defeating Harrell in battle. It gives him +2 strength +1 defense.

I like how they look. It gives the players a 60s/70s vibe, something I can only assume since I didn't exist back then. Maybe I'll let VF explain it to me. ...I'll show myself out.

Last edited: