Kings Roster next season

We can't "overpay" him. We have pretty much a hard cap on what we can pay him, which is 105% of the average contract (early Bird contract) or the MLE - whichever winds up being more - but it's roughly about 10m per. Ideally he signs the early-Bird deal and we keep the MLE for another signing.

There's no reason to offer him anything beneath that either, because we are technically under the cap, it's just that Holmes or his hold will put us over. So it's just something we do immediately and hopefully nobody comes along and offers him 12 or 14 or something we can't touch.
I think, as there is level of subjectivity in player value, there is always someone who will say a player is overpaid or underpaid. And therefore we can overpay.

I think, as there is level of subjectivity in player value, there is always someone who will say a player is overpaid or underpaid. And therefore we can overpay.
I think most people seem in agreement that if he takes the early Bird he's taking a discount, but I guess the market would dictate that as many people also thought WCS would get 12-14m and it would be fair.

Buddy has done more than asked. He running point now and doing a good job to boot. That's great and all too, but I still can't see taking a 28 year old player that is easily one of the best catch and shoot guys and turning him into a PG but hey, KANGZ. The land of throw **** at the wall and see what sticks is alive and well.
Well in all fairness, it netted us some wins and given the lineups we were sending out due to injuries etc. I doubt we could have realistically tried to make him a spot up shooter. I mean, NBA defenses would have to be really really dumb to help off Hield to focus on Delon Wright/Damian Jones/Greenlight Metu. Pretty sure they'd rather live with 30 points from Justin James and Louis King.

I'm for resigning Holmes. He brings qualities that no one else on the team does and that were sorely missed before we had him.

View attachment 10547
Edit: source is b-ball index LeBron metric.
the Kings fan in me wants to keep him and not lose another asset for nothing.

The Richaun fan in me thinks he should resign a 4 year MLE deal with Minnesota, where he would fit like a hand in a glove and make the play-offs. Russell is a pick and roll point guard and KAT loves to shoot 3’s.

A starting line-up of:
Kat
Holmes
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
D Russell

would absolutely be a playoff team. Russell running the pick and roll with Holmes surrounded by KAT, Edwards and McDaniels as shooters would result in a lot of wins.

The Richaun fan in me thinks he should resign a 4 year MLE deal with Minnesota, where he would fit like a hand in a glove and make the play-offs. Russell is a pick and roll point guard and KAT loves to shoot 3’s.

A starting line-up of:
Kat
Holmes
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
D Russell

would absolutely be a playoff team. Russell running the pick and roll with Holmes surrounded by KAT, Edwards and McDaniels as shooters would result in a lot of wins.
Well since we’re kings fans, let’s hope that doesn’t happen. Not only would we lose an asset, we could lose out on a playoff spot too. I hope Minny makes a bunch of boneheaded moves and stays in the basement of the west.

A starting line-up of:
Kat
Holmes
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
D Russell

Sorry man. KAT is a loser. He has made the playoffs once in his entire career, and that was with Jimmy Butler putting up an All-NBA Third team performance and dragging KAT to the 8 seed. Has Russell ever made the playoffs? He has never made any of his teams better. And much like our own young guys, let's see Ant Edwards do it in meaningful games before we anoint him a star. McDaniels is a nice piece, but if you think this team is one role playing starter away from "absolutely" being a playoff team, you have not watched enough KAT or Russell in their careers.

My calculus is highly dependent on whether Walton is back or not. But still, you're talking about 4 years of control over a young player's contract vs. dumping his salary to try to retain an unrestricted free agent in the event there is a bidding war for his services?

I am not against moving Bagley but you're damn skippy I am against moving him to free up cap space to go over 10m per year on Holmes.

But if it was Bagley + 8/9/10 to move into the top 4 and the player we wanted was there, of course I do it and hopefully that opens up the extra room for Holmes.
No team in their right mind would trade a top 4 pick in this draft to move back to 8/9/10 to add Bagley. He doesn't have anywhere near that kind of value and sure as heck doesn't when it comes to one of the strongest drafts in a while.

I can see not wanting to move him to free up space for Holmes when we don't even know if the space will be needed yet but I'd still hate to lose Holmes over a couple mil just so we can retain a player who will be 4 years in, having shown very little improvement on impacting games in a positive way.

On the other hand I don't think Holmes is going to require over 10mil to retain anyway.

Unless he's a nice guy who sees more here(the roster/team) than we do, and who doesn't want more money(someone will pay for him), we should assume he'll be gone. That's fine with. I think he's more of a borerline starter and more of a matchup/bench guy. Seeing him in street clothes, he looks a lot less muscular. I thought he had bigger shoulders/arms for some reason.

Sorry man. KAT is a loser. He has made the playoffs once in his entire career, and that was with Jimmy Butler putting up an All-NBA Third team performance and dragging KAT to the 8 seed. Has Russell ever made the playoffs? He has never made any of his teams better. And much like our own young guys, let's see Ant Edwards do it in meaningful games before we anoint him a star. McDaniels is a nice piece, but if you think this team is one role playing starter away from "absolutely" being a playoff team, you have not watched enough KAT or Russell in their careers.
I think Holmes complements well what those guys lack. And yes Russell made the play-offs in the east....

an interesting quote by Bogi to the Atlanta press about Sac....

“My toughest part was the first year in (Sacramento) when I (felt) like we were giving up at the beginning of the year,” Bogdanovic said. “I was coming from the championship team in the EuroLeague. I was pretty motivated. I was scared for myself that I lost that competitiveness in myself. The wins were driving me all of the time. My career was, I played on Partizan, a winning team (in Serbia). Fenerbahçe, they were all about wins (in Turkey). They were winning games and winning the whole thing. Then coming to Sac(ramento) that first year and not even knowing what the team goal was for that year was the hardest challenge for me. I was still working on my game, but the things you work on, you can’t use in the game. It’s not as valued as it is now. That was the toughest challenge for me. Every year after that, I could see what I should be doing better.”

No team in their right mind would trade a top 4 pick in this draft to move back to 8/9/10 to add Bagley. He doesn't have anywhere near that kind of value and sure as heck doesn't when it comes to one of the strongest drafts in a while.
Sure. I don't think any team would do that. My point is simply that as disappointing as Bagley has been (primarily this is due to being made of glass the last 3 years coupled with coaching's desire to produce wins rather than develop the highest pick the org has had in decades) I'm not keen on giving him up unless we are blown away by the offer. A move up scenario is a blow me away type deal, it's also one of the few scenarios that see us getting value without having to take on a player making as much/more than Bagley gets, which is something we'd have to do if we're just trying to free up extra cap room.

To full on just salary dump him at this stage is ludicrous. Especially if it's to keep a roleplayer like Holmes.

I think Holmes complements well what those guys lack. And yes Russell made the play-offs in the east....

an interesting quote by Bogi to the Atlanta press about Sac....

“My toughest part was the first year in (Sacramento) when I (felt) like we were giving up at the beginning of the year,” Bogdanovic said. “I was coming from the championship team in the EuroLeague. I was pretty motivated. I was scared for myself that I lost that competitiveness in myself. The wins were driving me all of the time. My career was, I played on Partizan, a winning team (in Serbia). Fenerbahçe, they were all about wins (in Turkey). They were winning games and winning the whole thing. Then coming to Sac(ramento) that first year and not even knowing what the team goal was for that year was the hardest challenge for me. I was still working on my game, but the things you work on, you can’t use in the game. It’s not as valued as it is now. That was the toughest challenge for me. Every year after that, I could see what I should be doing better.”
I see Russell made the playoffs once. I am not sure that contradicts the point that he doesn't make others better. He and KAT have spent almost their entire careers as guys who get nice stats and don't win games. They are a combined 2-8 in the playoffs in all of their years in the league. And "soft" is a label used to describe KAT far too often. In a lot of ways, Minnesota is a mirror of Sac- a bunch of soft, talented guys, who are either too young to have a reputation in the league, or who have at least 4-5 years in and have never really been winners (other than, ironically, Barnes). Fox/Haliburton/Hield/Barnes is not appreciably worse (or even worse at all) than KAT/Russell/Edwards/McDaniel. Neither of those cores have done anything, despite many chances. You can't think Holmes make that kind of difference in Minnesota.

And your Bogi quote is a telling one, and is what most of us suspect about the Kings. But it is also true about Minnesota. They are the only other franchise in the West that is as beat down and hopeless as the Kings. Minnesota has a loser mentality, and as long as they keep trying to build around soft, loser guys, they are going to keep being losers. Bogi's comments are probably similar (and not as bad) to a lot of things Butler said about Minnesota.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
And what can be done about that frontcourt?

Holmes gone, Bagley gone, I guess they need to start looking for their next Holmes, an overlooked bargain bin FA.
As ready as I am to move on from Bagley, I assume he’ll be back... mainly because no one else wants him enough to make it worth our time and also our new anti-depth without Holmes/Whiteside.

If dude can stay healthy for the full season, with nobody to take minutes from him we could actually see what we have before we invest further.

Of course I am afraid the first IF is way too much to ask. Our super athletic prospect that we took over the sure thing turns out to be for display only. Touch it and it breaks.

gunks

Hall of Famer
If dude can stay healthy for the full season, with nobody to take minutes from him we could actually see what we have before we invest further.

Of course I am afraid the first IF is way too much to ask. Our super athletic prospect that we took over the sure thing turns out to be for display only. Touch it and it breaks.
Honestly, at this point I’d be surprised if he can stay healthy through pre-season.

Well in all fairness, it netted us some wins and given the lineups we were sending out due to injuries etc. I doubt we could have realistically tried to make him a spot up shooter. I mean, NBA defenses would have to be really really dumb to help off Hield to focus on Delon Wright/Damian Jones/Greenlight Metu. Pretty sure they'd rather live with 30 points from Justin James and Louis King.
This is a process that started last year. Remember? Buddy the backup PG?

And what can be done about that frontcourt?

Holmes gone, Bagley gone, I guess they need to start looking for their next Holmes, an overlooked bargain bin FA.
fit is important for Richaun. He really needs to play next to a center that can stretch the floor and with a point guard that can run pick and roll like Hali can.

He certainly won't let the Kings off the hook cheap even if they might deserve it being the first franchise to give him that kind of shot.
who knows? It’s a business and he has to do what is best for his family and his long term livelihood. The Kings have half of what benefits him in Haliburton. We shall see what his options are.

A starting line-up of:
Kat
Holmes
Jaden McDaniels
Anthony Edwards
D Russell

Yeah - the NBA is competitive on and off the court. It would be great to keep Richaun as a contributor in Sac but I won't fault him if he thinks he can do better elsewhere.

who knows? It’s a business and he has to do what is best for his family and his long term livelihood. The Kings have half of what benefits him in Haliburton. We shall see what his options are.
The best the Kings can do is probably give him a year or two more than another team might. I have a feeling anyone offering 12-14m per might not be willing to go 4 years, while the Kings are stuck at 10 probably have nothing to lose with giving Holmes 4 years with various options on the back.