Plan for the rest of the season.........play everyone (at least a little)

It’s been a frustrating season, obviously. The Kings have a fairly balanced team, good centers, and Bagley is good.
The point guards are very good. The 2 guards are pretty good (Buddy and Jeffries).
They seem to be a little lacking at the small forward (to backup Barnes, who is great).

I would think it would serve the Kings well to play 10 to 12 players each game. At least get more players in the game, at least a little. With the accelerated schedule this year, it seems like more players are going to get injured and need rest. So the bench players need to be ready to step in. James, Guy, Parker, Metu/Pelle should all get into the games to stay fresh. Maybe just play them at the end of a quarter when you don’t want a starter to get a silly foul. I would think each player has their own strengths, and could be substituted in for certain matchups.

It‘s a different kind of season this year with the compressed schedule. A lot of teams are having injuries, so let’s take advantage of that and have our starters a little more rested (and getting fewer minutes). But at the same time have a more experienced bench. Geeze we‘re losing anyway. What do you guys think?

dude12

Hall of Famer
So y’all are saying even more minutes for Cory Joseph? Sounds good to me!
When the Cojo era is over, I’m going to add him to my random posts including Jimmer because after so many years, using Jimmer is a heck of a punchline for a smile or laugh. Same will it be with Cojo.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This a very dangerous proposition with a team full of vets. Platooning rarely works when you're winning. When you're losing? It just adds more gasoline to the dumpster.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Developing and playing the young guys really needs to be the plan post all-star break. Sooner but you know, sometime soon. Otherwise, it’s borderline criminal.
Yeah and at least it signals a direction. Rather than bringing your whole team down a little it's better to try and salvage some sort of commitment from part of the roster.

It’s been a frustrating season, obviously. The Kings have a fairly balanced team, good centers, and Bagley is good.
The point guards are very good. The 2 guards are pretty good (Buddy and Jeffries).
They seem to be a little lacking at the small forward (to backup Barnes, who is great).

I would think it would serve the Kings well to play 10 to 12 players each game. At least get more players in the game, at least a little. With the accelerated schedule this year, it seems like more players are going to get injured and need rest. So the bench players need to be ready to step in. James, Guy, Parker, Metu/Pelle should all get into the games to stay fresh. Maybe just play them at the end of a quarter when you don’t want a starter to get a silly foul. I would think each player has their own strengths, and could be substituted in for certain matchups.
I def agree in re giving more young guys some run. I don't doubt for a second that HB's slump had everything to do with fatigue. Over 5 games he averaged 7.4 ppg, gets 8 days off to rest his foot, and has averaged 22 ppg in the 4 games since on excellent shooting. But he's also averaging almost 40 mpg over those 4, which have been played in 6 days. Fox has played 38+ min in those 4 games in a row and 38+ in 5 of his last 6. He's a young guy but he plays a very high-energy offensive game, takes a lot of hits, and obviously isn't a big guy. Just not smart.

But I actually started this in response to your first point. Sincere question: given your assessment of the roster, why are the Kings 13-21? You say Bagley and the centers are "good," Buddy and Jeffries are "pretty good," the point guards are "very good" and Barnes is "great." So why aren't they much better than they are?

Hey Woot, thanks for the input. I think the King’s are 13-21 because they just aren’t deep enough. When they were on the winning streak I think they were playing 7 to 8 players, just not sustainable in this compressed schedUke.
Also, as a long time fan, for years the Kings played just well enough to lose. Remember those days? We had “good“ teams, but just couldn’t get the stop when we needed it, nor the big shot when we really needed it.
Just my thoughts, thanks Woot.

It does not matter what we think. It actually matters little what Walton's plan is.
The Kings are going to keep losing and that is the point.
The lottery is a strange process that rewards people for losing.

It does not matter what we think.
I would argue that my thoughts matter. Not enough to influence anyone here, let alone at the Kings, but enough to at least offer here. Imagine it is the same for most other posters.

For the rest of the season, I would like to see the Kings continue to play to win. I don't think it will make much difference to our win total, but is a nice mentality. It would also be nice to see some of our unused players sent to playoff teams in return for something with at least modest promise. Anything more than that is a bonus.

I can't think of any young guys on this team that i'd even wanna see outside of the ones that already play. I just want more PT for everyone so guys like Fox don't get hurt