Kings NBA Draft Workouts

Interesting tidbit on Samhan. Just read on draftexpress the synergy stats. Samhan had the highest usage rate of any of the big men at 20 PPG. But he had the lowest turnover rate of any of the big men despite handling the ball more than them.

I think we should invite this guy to our Summer League and take a good look at him, He reminds me of a mre effective John Bryant.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Reports say that Petrie was falling in love with Monroe until Cousins came to town. After the workout he was very impressed with Cousins skill set. So I think that if Cousins is there at 5 the Kings take him. But you have to be prepared for the eventuality that Cousins isn't there at 5. Rumors are that Westphal really wants a big man, and that that FO is leaning that way. So I agree, I think Petrie wants to see Monroe opperate against another defensive big man one on one, before deciding to take Monroe at 5 if Cousins isn't there.
That's good insight. So is Whiteside is basically a sparring partner to determine if Monroe is worthy of a 5 pick if Cousins isn't there?

What I don't get is...why do seemingly ALL the experts say we have a big hole at the 3? Do they not know that we have Greene? And everyone was praising Casspi at the beginning of the season for how impressive he was. I know he didn't finish the season the best, but did everyone just forget about these 2? Not to mention that Garcia can also play the 3

Kingster

Hall of Famer
When it comes to Monroe, what's a workout going to prove? He's a wuss. Do they have a wuss workout program? Maybe if he runs a Roman-like gauntlet he can prove that he's not a wuss. Until then, all you have to do is look at his games in college and forget about workout numbers. If they choose Monroe it's a gagga draft.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It looks like the last of our workouts have been dated. Look it up on the Bee, I cant get the list right now. No signs of Johnson.
Interesting that Donald Sloan of Texas A&M is coming back for a second workout. I think that would make him the only one of the potential #33 picks to come back. On the other hand, he doesn't even have a profile on Draftexpress, and his NBADraft.net profile is empty outside of his height/weight. Doesn't really seem to be on anybody's radar...just a workout junkie? Camp invite?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting that Donald Sloan of Texas A&M is coming back for a second workout. I think that would make him the only one of the potential #33 picks to come back. On the other hand, he doesn't even have a profile on Draftexpress, and his NBADraft.net profile is empty outside of his height/weight. Doesn't really seem to be on anybody's radar...just a workout junkie? Camp invite?
Not quite sure myself. I only saw him play a few times and the memory is a little fuzzy since he didn't leap out at me. He's not a bad shooter, but not great either. He handles the ball OK and he's not a bad passer. I believe he's around 6'2". Maybe 6'3". I can't imagine them using their second round pick on him. He has to be camp fodder or someone to help in the workouts.

Sometimes management have their favorite underdogs. A reporter asked the Memphis' scouting director why they brought in Dinma Odiakosa twice and he said because he likes him, thinks he will be in the NBA someday, and then in the next breath said just not anytime soon.

And sometimes they just need a body. So who knows?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I noticed that Udoh has been added to the workout with Monroe and Whiteside. Interesting!
So the message being sent here is: "Thanks for playing, Cole. Thanks for playing, Daniel."

I don't really believe Udoh is in play at #5, and Whiteside seems a bit unlikely as well, but this would suggest that Aldrich and Orton aren't really on the radar, even if we trade down.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Probably using him the same way they used the other PGs last yr to test Reke. They want to see if Monroe can shine amongst his peers.
I wouldn't look at Udoh as just tryout fodder. The rumor is that he impressed the Kings at his last workout. If you looking at Monroe as a potential pick at center and Udoh outplays him one on one, then what? They just might start looking at Udoh as the first option if Cousins isn't there.

Cousins looked great in Philly head to head against Favors.

according to "Chad Ford"

maybe Favors is slipping following these workouts.

he won't slip to 5 though.

according to "Chad Ford"

What does anybody think Petrie will do if, Wall, Cousins, Turner and Johnson are gone? Take Favors?

By the way, I think its more possible that Cousins is rising, which pushes Favors down. DC seems to be showing well in tryouts (including for the Kings) and maybe GM's are finding the rumors about problems are overblown.

Last edited:
I noticed that Udoh has been added to the workout with Monroe and Whiteside. Interesting!
I'm really liking this. udoh and whiteside will be great tests for Monroe if cousins is gone at 5, and we don't trade down. If Monroe can dominate a workout against udoh and whiteside then it definitely helps with a lot of Monroes question marks.

if whiteside and udoh kick his butt which is definitely possible then we can focus on cousins and maybe whiteside/udoh.

hopefully though we just take cousins and all of this is a moot point.

What does anybody think Petrie will do if, Wall, Cousins, Turner and Johnson are gone? Take Favors?
I have to assume favors is the pick there over Monroe, whiteside and udoh but I guess Petrie could always surprise us and take Monroe if he dominates this workout. I don't see the nets taking anyon otherthan favors though they could really use a pf the most and favors makes perfect sense for them next to lopez.

I wouldn't look at Udoh as just tryout fodder. The rumor is that he impressed the Kings at his last workout. If you looking at Monroe as a potential pick at center and Udoh outplays him one on one, then what? They just might start looking at Udoh as the first option if Cousins isn't there.

As you know, I've said before I don't want Monroe as a center. But if Cousins is gone, the reality is GP will most likely pick him. GP said there are 5 or 6 bigs that they are looking at, one of which they'll take for sure if he is available. That one I'm assuming is Cousins. Most likely they'll take Monroe over Wesley Johnson. I feel Johnson should be the BPA pick with DC gone since we now have Sammy. He is not a long term championship aspiration solution at center but we are better than before at center so we can go BPA.

according to "Chad Ford"

This was what I was worried about. The possibility of Sixers taking Cousins at #2 or trading down with Nets/Wolves to take Cousins and give either of them Turner. That will mean Johnson is left to us and GP will most likely pass and take Monroe. I don't like Monroe at center long term.

according to "Chad Ford"

I think this just makes Philly even more comfortable about picking Turner.

Don't see Favors falling out of the top three nevertheless.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
If Cousins looks good on Monday in New Jersey they might take him #3. That's really the only concern at this point. Wash=Wall, Philly=Turner, Minny=Johnson but what if New Jersey picks Cousins? Will Minnesota still take Johnson over Favors? I think it's likely they do. Jefferson, Love, Milicic, Pekovic is already a lot of big men. They're looking to trade somebody but if they like Johnson as much as they do, it makes more sense to pass on Favors. It's still a win for us if we end up with Favors.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Why would New Jersey take Cousins when Favors is the better prospect and the better fit?
Well, I think the workout on Monday is going to decide that. But it's not as far-fetched as it might first appear. Cousins is big enough to play center but he also has range on his outside shot and decent perimeter skills so it's not hard to see him getting minutes at PF either. Aren't we talking about potentially pairing him with Dalembert in the front court next year? Why couldn't New Jersey do the same thing with him and Lopez? So far Cousins and Favors have worked out together here and in Philly and it sounds like Cousins was more impressive in both workouts. If he dominates Favors in New Jersey as well, no amount of wishful thinking is going to prevent New Jersey from picking the better player.

Well, I think the workout on Monday is going to decide that. But it's not as far-fetched as it might first appear. Cousins is big enough to play center but he also has range on his outside shot and decent perimeter skills so it's not hard to see him getting minutes at PF either. Aren't we talking about potentially pairing him with Dalembert in the front court next year? Why couldn't New Jersey do the same thing with him and Lopez? So far Cousins and Favors have worked out together here and in Philly and it sounds like Cousins was more impressive in both workouts. If he dominates Favors in New Jersey as well, no amount of wishful thinking is going to prevent New Jersey from picking the better player.

Dalembert is strictly a defensive guy. But Lopez needs his touches and Cousins and Lopez essentially occupy the same space on the floor and they will fight for the ball. By fight, I don't mean it literally although I wouldn't be surprised when it comes to Cousins.

At any rate, I don't know who NJ will pick (actually I think I do but you never know). All I know is that if I already have Lopez on my team then I'm picking Favors.

In 2001 Tyson Chandler dominated Kwame Brown in the Wizard workout in front of Michael Jordan, didn't stop MJ from picking Brown (although in hindsight not so good a move).

bajaden

Hall of Famer

By the way, I think its more possible that Cousins is rising, which pushes Favors down. DC seems to be showing well in tryouts (including for the Kings) and maybe GM's are finding the rumors about problems are overblown.
Well the question is, rising to where? I don't see the Nets taking him at 3 when they already have Lopez, and there biggest need is a PF. They have Jianlian and Humphries, and I think Humphries is a freeagent. Jianlian has been a bust so far and in my opinion he's not really a PF anyway but a tall SF. I guess its possible that they could go for a twin towers thing, but Cousins is mostly a post player and Lopez is a post player. It could get crowded in there. Favors is the perfect fit for them.

I doubt Washington will draft anyone but Wall and Minny seems intent on Johnson. We just traded with the 76ers, which makes me wonder if we didn't have a mutual agreement added to the trade. Such as we'll include Hawes in the deal as long as you don't take Cousins at 2. Not that they wern't going to take Turner anyway. But one way to leverage a deal is to offer a little something special in the trade. Such as throw in Hawes and we promise not to draft Cousins.. Probably not, but its worth a thought.