Kings NBA Draft Workouts

Does Minnesota have a contingency plan in case New Jersey takes Wesley Johnson at 3? I know that in all probability, they will take Favors or Cousins but if they take Johnson, Minnesota would then be in position to take Cousins so I'm thinking that they should at least have him in for a workout.

Does Minnesota have a contingency plan in case New Jersey takes Wesley Johnson at 3? I know that in all probability, they will take Favors or Cousins but if they take Johnson, Minnesota would then be in position to take Cousins so I'm thinking that they should at least have him in for a workout.
If Wesley Johnson goes 3 it means Turner or Favors is there at 4 for Minny. Those are the two best fits in the whole draft for them.

I could see Johnson being picked ahead of Cousins but not Favors.

Minnesota is extremely likely to be in a position to take Cousins anyway. And they're trying to get him in for a workout, Cousins agent is the one stopping it

Rumor is that the Kings are trying to get Johnson and Babbitt in at the same time and have them go one on one. Hope they do. That would be a fun workout to see. Babbitt can score with the best of them.
Good, I was worried for a second that they weren't even considering Johnson.

I dont think Johnson is coming.

I herd he KILLED it at Minni. Ford thinks he is now a lock at 4. Of course, its Chad Ford, so you never know .. but if Johnson doesnt make a trip to Sac, you can bet he has a promise from Sota.

More workouts added, including whiteside and Monroe on Saturday. I'm starting to be convinced that we're trading down
I'm fearing that this is the case too, but not just because we're working out guys like Whiteside and Hayward. It's normal for teams to bring in some random players in the top 20, since I'm sure GM's don't pay much attention to mock drafts. I'm gonna be very upset if we trade down though (depending on the trade of course). With a potential star in Cousins possibly available at #5, we could possibly be set for years at the 2 hardest positions to fill. I don't see why we give up an opportunity like that

I'm fearing that this is the case too, but not just because we're working out guys like Whiteside and Hayward. It's normal for teams to bring in some random players in the top 20, since I'm sure GM's don't pay much attention to mock drafts. I'm gonna be very upset if we trade down though (depending on the trade of course). With a potential star in Cousins possibly available at #5, we could possibly be set for years at the 2 hardest positions to fill. I don't see why we give up an opportunity like that
Good centers like Cousins are REALLY hard to come by, so I don't see how trading down would help us all that much. Unless Petrie sees red flags in Cousins. This could potentially be a very interesting and eventful draft for the Kings this year. I think Petrie is going to be wheeling and dealing, unlike previous years. Hopefully all these workouts signal that Petrie is trying to get another first round pick instead of trying to trade the #5 pick.

The Monroe - Whiteside workout will be interesting.

Anyone else get the feeling we may be bringing in Whiteside to defend Monroe? The first workout we had with Monroe was solo .. bring in one of the best defensive bigs in the draft and see what he can do up against him. I cant get it into my head that Whiteside is a realistic option at 5, so unless we plan on trading down, the only logical reason to have Whiteside at the workout is to test out Monroe. My theory is a tad 'out there' but it makes sense. I would do it if I were a GM.

I dont mind us working players out, but Im starting to get scared. Will we really take someone over Cousins if hes available to us? That would be heart-breaking. Last year we made up our minds on Evans after the second workout. Im praying Monroe doesnt do that this year.

I will say this, discussion is starting to pick up, and im getting excited. Cant wait for some summer league ball.

Good centers like Cousins are REALLY hard to come by, so I don't see how trading down would help us all that much. Unless Petrie sees red flags in Cousins. This could potentially be a very interesting and eventful draft for the Kings this year. I think Petrie is going to be wheeling and dealing, unlike previous years. Hopefully all these workouts signal that Petrie is trying to get another first round pick instead of trying to trade the #5 pick.
Yeah I hope so too. If he does get another pick I hope he doesn't pick Hayward though. Actually, if we end up with Cousins at #5 and Jordan Crawford at #33, I'd be very happy

Just my luck I've been pushing for years for geoff to be aggressive at the draft in order to get the kind of big man we need and the one year that exact kind of player could be there, we'll trade the pick away. Please no.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't think a Monroe-Whiteside workout means that we're considering trading down, nor that it means we're trying ot get another lottery pick (nice as that might be). I think it simply means that right now we are looking at a 5-man race for the #5 pick: Cousins, Favors, Johnson, Monroe, and Whiteside. Two of these five will definitely be picked at #3/4, but we don't know which two. We also don't know how much we like Johnson, as we haven't worked him out. So even if we're convinced of Cousins/Favors being the better players in the group, both might be gone, and it becomes a race between Johnson, Monroe, and Whiteside (who apparently impressed a lot at the first workout). Working Monroe out against Whiteside seems to be the best strategy.

I don't think a Monroe-Whiteside workout means that we're considering trading down, nor that it means we're trying ot get another lottery pick (nice as that might be). I think it simply means that right now we are looking at a 5-man race for the #5 pick: Cousins, Favors, Johnson, Monroe, and Whiteside. Two of these five will definitely be picked at #3/4, but we don't know which two. We also don't know how much we like Johnson, as we haven't worked him out. So even if we're convinced of Cousins/Favors being the better players in the group, both might be gone, and it becomes a race between Johnson, Monroe, and Whiteside (who apparently impressed a lot at the first workout). Working Monroe out against Whiteside seems to be the best strategy.
Exactly. My read at this point is that they like Cousins, but want to be ready in case Minny or someone else in the top 4 takes him. So, another look for Monroe and Whiteside.

I think Whiteside is just a sideshow. Two years ago, GP brought in Hibbert twice. The second time just to workout against another player Petrie really likes (I suspect it was JT). Even Hibbert said the Kings just needed a body and he was available.

I think this workout is all about testing Monroe. The Kings is narrowing down the choice to either Cousins or Monroe now. And I don't see GP picking Wesley Johnson and for that matter, I don't expect too much enthusiam from his camp to come here.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think you hit the nail on the head. Reports say that Petrie was falling in love with Monroe until Cousins came to town. After the workout he was very impressed with Cousins skill set. So I think that if Cousins is there at 5 the Kings take him. But you have to be prepared for the eventuality that Cousins isn't there at 5. Rumors are that Westphal really wants a big man, and that that FO is leaning that way. So I agree, I think Petrie wants to see Monroe opperate against another defensive big man one on one, before deciding to take Monroe at 5 if Cousins isn't there.

Other rumors indicate that Collins is lobbying for a big man, and would like the 76ers to pick Favors. If that were to happen then who knows what the Nets do. Personally I'd take Turner, but they might opt for Cousins. The first four picks are going to be interesting, and could decide the fate of the Kings for some time to come.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I also like that were bringing in Samhan. I think he can play.
I'm a big fan of Samhan's, but I think he'll have a difficult time defending the pick and roll. He definitely can score and rebound, and I think he can fill a role on our team. It would interesting to see how he fared in a workout against some of the other bigs.

I still want to see the Monroe vs Whiteside workout. But if Monroe doesn't show anything superstar potential like, then I would still go with Cousins. If DC is not there, a Monroe at #5 and Whiteside at another pick we acquire would make my day also.

I'm a big fan of Samhan's, but I think he'll have a difficult time defending the pick and roll. He definitely can score and rebound, and I think he can fill a role on our team. It would interesting to see how he fared in a workout against some of the other bigs.

Yea, its too bad he wasnt invited to the combine. It would be interesting to see how he measured out. Maybe its just me, but he looks really big on TV, and it seems like he takes up a lot of space down low, which is a plus. Seems like he knows how to use his body too, and usually has good position offensively and defensively. His quickness is what scares me, he does look very slow. Good footwork can overcome that sometimes .. and I dont know, he has good post moves so maybe the footwork will show up on defense too. Its a little alarming that we havent herd anything from him since the season ended. Ive looked for writeups on what he's been up to, and even where he has worked out, and I havent found much.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Reports say that Petrie was falling in love with Monroe until Cousins came to town. After the workout he was very impressed with Cousins skill set. So I think that if Cousins is there at 5 the Kings take him. But you have to be prepared for the eventuality that Cousins isn't there at 5. Rumors are that Westphal really wants a big man, and that that FO is leaning that way. So I agree, I think Petrie wants to see Monroe opperate against another defensive big man one on one, before deciding to take Monroe at 5 if Cousins isn't there.
Yep, that's how I read it, too.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yea, its too bad he wasnt invited to the combine. It would be interesting to see how he measured out. Maybe its just me, but he looks really big on TV, and it seems like he takes up a lot of space down low, which is a plus. Seems like he knows how to use his body too, and usually has good position offensively and defensively. His quickness is what scares me, he does look very slow. Good footwork can overcome that sometimes .. and I dont know, he has good post moves so maybe the footwork will show up on defense too. Its a little alarming that we havent herd anything from him since the season ended. Ive looked for writeups on what he's been up to, and even where he has worked out, and I havent found much.
Yeah it was interesting to see his name pop up. It was almost as if he fell off the map. Samhan is a very deadly shooter from 15 feet also. I haven't heard much about Parakhouski either. I was hoping the Kings would bring him in as well. Who knows, he might be one of the bigs added to the workout when Monroe and Whiteside come in.

We have GOT to get Wes Johnson in, and more than once.... Even if we're looking at taking a big... We need to be in the mix if any teams start trading things around... so they need to consider us taking him.

If everything we do says we're taking a big, like going for Monroe or Cuz, Minni will just work something out with Golden State or Detroit on a Wes Johnson deal and take the Cuz option away from us... If they think we're gonna pass on Wes, and he'll be there to make the trade back, they won't use the 4 on him.

.... But if they are not sure we may take Johnson, they're gonna have to consider us potentially messing things up for them, and that may leave Cuz on the board to us if that's who we want.

And besides, if he's there at 5, Wes Johnson is probably the best player available anyway... and If we could fit him at the SG that's still a great pick.

We have GOT to get Wes Johnson in, and more than once.... Even if we're looking at taking a big... We need to be in the mix if any teams start trading things around... so they need to consider us taking him.

If everything we do says we're taking a big, like going for Monroe or Cuz, Minni will just work something out with Golden State or Detroit on a Wes Johnson deal and take the Cuz option away from us... If they think we're gonna pass on Wes, and he'll be there to make the trade back, they won't use the 4 on him.

.... But if they are not sure we may take Johnson, they're gonna have to consider us potentially messing things up for them, and that may leave Cuz on the board to us if that's who we want.

And besides, if he's there at 5, Wes Johnson is probably the best player available anyway... and If we could fit him at the SG that's still a great pick.
Truth

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Interesting tidbit on Samhan. Just read on draftexpress the synergy stats. Samhan had the highest usage rate of any of the big men at 20 PPG. But he had the lowest turnover rate of any of the big men despite handling the ball more than them.