Kings do not pick up Giles and Caleb team options for next year!

It was a team option. $4 mil was the only option.
Yes, I get that. Which also means that if they have agreed on anything else they can't execute that until this contract expires. So say they agree he isn't ready to play and in exchange for rehabbing 2 of 3 seasons on this contract he'll take 2 years at 3mil per; they can't do that until this is up.

Since I imagine this may also technically be outside the spirit of the rules they also can't say publicly they've done this.

eta: as a relevant example Sixers appear to have done this with Furkan Korkmaz.

Last edited:
SB Nation: The Kings Are Effectively Bailing On The Harry Giles Project

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...ffectively-bailing-on-the-harry-giles-project

"The Athletic’s Sam Amick went on Sports 1140 KHTK (h/t to StR user Kangz1960) this morning and reported that the Kings declined Giles’ 4th year option because they wanted to make him earn it."

This makes NO sense. NONE.

"Congrats Harry! You definitely earned it, you killed it out there! Well...see ya..."

"The Kings put more of their Giles ambiguity on display this season. He’s injured right now with some kind of knee soreness. Or something. Giles was recently upgraded from ‘Out’ to ‘Questionable’ so whatever the current issue is, it sounds like he’s going to be medically cleared soon. Or not. Who really knows at this point."

Nobody knows. Entire situation is a cluster.

Last edited:
Above article basically admits it is wild speculation, so take with a grain of salt.
That’s what makes discussing the Harry Giles project intelligently nearly impossible — the Kings have consistently and consciously muddied the waters regarding his health from the beginning. There is so much about this situation we don’t know.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sa...ffectively-bailing-on-the-harry-giles-project

"The Athletic’s Sam Amick went on Sports 1140 KHTK (h/t to StR user Kangz1960) this morning and reported that the Kings declined Giles’ 4th year option because they wanted to make him earn it."

"Congrats Harry! You definitely earned it, you killed it out there! Well...see ya..."
Lies on top of lies on top of lies.

I despise these people.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
I got to the point in the Hornets game where I was laughing during the 2nd half instead of getting mad. That's where I'm at as far as caring goes.
Same. Forget about the playoffs, I'd be excited to watch this team look like professional basketball players for a full 48 minutes right now. The bar is so low there's nothing beneath it anymore. I'd cheer for 0-82 at this point. At least that would be noteworthy. Imagine it's late March or early April and the Clippers/Lakers are resting all of their starters for the playoffs. Can this squad pull out an improbable loss to keep the winless streak alive? Will we resort to shooting on our own basket and fouling our own players to make it happen? Excitement! Drama! Tears! Laughter!

One of my favorite movies is called In a Lonely Place. It stars Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame as unlikely lovers brought together and then torn apart by a murder investigation. It's a masterpiece of character development and it's got a real gut punch of an ending which feels relevant here. All through these years of futility I could convince myself that whatever eventual success waited on the other side would be worth it. At some point it turned though and I'm not even sure a championship would wash away the bitterness anymore. If this team eventually wins a championship it won't be for me, it'll be for the legions of young (ex -Warriors?) fans who they pick up along the way all blissfully unaware of what it feels like to support a team for decades which does nothing but sabotage itself over and over again, the cycle of hope and empty promises repeating indefinitely until it just becomes background noise while you watch the game with the sound turned off knowing before it even starts what the outcome will be...

The question then will be if that brief moment of excitement is only the entrée to further decades of suffering for those poor young fans who have no idea the trap they've entered into or if things will be different for them. This is where I'm at now. I'm rooting for these players to get as far away from this team as possible as soon as they can while they still have a chance at a successful career somewhere else. So I guess congrats to Harry Giles, Caleb Swanigan, and Bogdan Bogdanovic whose brief terms are now nearly at an end. Congratulations to all the superstars this franchise didn't draft who have no idea how truly fortunate they are. Congratulations to Luke and Vlade and so many coaches and GMs before them for participating in something that is far greater than themselves. It takes years of effort, expert craft, and more than a little luck to completely squander every ounce of good will a one-team sports market can offer. When they write the story of the Sacramento Kings beginning to end, it may just be another masterpiece of existential Nausea (in the Jean-Paul Sartre sense, not the one that makes you want to vomit, although... it could probably be both).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

No, that doesn't make any sense. Here's a scenario that might make a little more sense:

Harry: "I'm ready to play!"
Kings: "Your knee needs rest. Have you seen this MRI?"
Harry: "No, I'm ready to play!"
Kings: "Harry, if we put you out there, you're going to blow your knee out again and spend year 4 rehabbing all over. Let's get that knee right first."
Harry: "Forget year 4, I'm ready to play!"
Kings: "We'd really rather not pay $4M next year to rehab you again, Harry."
Harry: "DID YOU HEAR ME? I SAID FORGET YEAR 4, I'M READY TO PLAY!"
Kings: "If you say so, Harry." (Decline option) "All right, Harry, you'll be on the court next week. Good luck. You'll need it."

No, that doesn't make any sense. Here's a scenario that might make a little more sense:

Kings: "Harry, if we put you out there, you're going to blow your knee out again and spend year 4 rehabbing all over. Let's get that knee right first."
Kings: "If you say so, Harry." (Decline option) "All right, Harry, you'll be on the court next week. Good luck. You'll need it."
And then if he shows up, plays great on the court and his knees don't implode, the Kings FO sure looks dumb.

I despise these people.
Me too. Actually the older I get - and the more teams I follow with season tickets (Niners, Giants, Kings, Raiders)... the more it seems that to be a sports franchise executive, you really do have to be a sociopath with no conscience about ripping people off. All the teams I listed engage in duplicitous behavior - cyber intimidation - lies - bigger discounts game-to-game than season ticket holders get - usury price increases at the slightest excuse.... false advertising, ego driven petulant personnel decisions... it goes on and on.

God help me I love sports entertainment so I bend over for it. But there are no good guys. not Granger. not Vivek. certainly not Jed York, Mark Davis or Larry Baer. Against this list of guys... when the Maloofs owned the team, they were professional hosts, treated customers with respect, and were better than any of the ones I just listed. And they did the biggest villainy of all at the end.

So you can't have a naive love for these guys. Their job is to pick your pockets. They are not your friend. They don't care about you. They will not love you back.

Thank the heavens that the Kings didn't sell PSLs. I'd have bought them and then would have no good options. As it is... all I have to do is leave. Thank god.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
And then if he shows up, plays great on the court and his knees don't implode, the Kings FO sure looks dumb.
The Kings' Front Office has been called dumb by the national media, the national fans, and even by a decent portion of the local fans for basically every move they've made for going on 15 years now. If I were the Kings' Front Office, about the last factor I would weigh into my decisions is whether or not the move might make the FO look dumb. We're already guaranteed to be portrayed as dumb.

It does seem pretty clear Harry thinks he's ready (if social media is an indication) so there could be something to this. Certainly would be interesting if he took the court tonight.

The Kings' Front Office has been called dumb by the national media, the national fans, and even by a decent portion of the local fans for basically every move they've made for going on 15 years now. If I were the Kings' Front Office, about the last factor I would weigh into my decisions is whether or not the move might make the FO look dumb. We're already guaranteed to be portrayed as dumb.
very true. optics are the least of our worries

Actually being dumb is what concerns me

I despise these people.
It’s one thing to be vague about injuries to keep the opponent guessing and gain a competitive advantage. It’s another to give fans a false sense of hope and excitement to sell tickets, concessions, and merchandise. I’m not saying they did the latter, necessarily, but there’s a lot that needs explaining here.

Just a coincidence we've been a bottom dweller for 15 years? You're a smart guy. This is not a case of "everybody else is wrong". This is a classic case of the abuser not recognising that maybe, just maybe, he is wrong.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Just a coincidence we've been a bottom dweller for 15 years? You're a smart guy. This is not a case of "everybody else is wrong". This is a classic case of the abuser not recognising that maybe, just maybe, he is wrong.
Didn't say we weren't dumb. Said we shouldn't make moves to avoid being called dumb. Already been called dumb plenty. Been there, done that, ain't nothing new.

On the other end of the spectrum consider the Patriots and Bill Belichick are constantly making stupid/idiotic moves according to the media. I agree ignore the optics when making decisions. It's just going to be a very long season at the current rate.

King Diddy and Jason Lakers Fan Jones are saying that Giles came in lazy and out of shape and that this is on him.

Super weird, because so much talk was about how much of a hard worker he is/was. So which is it?

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
King Diddy and Jason Lakers Fan Jones are saying that Giles came in lazy and out of shape and that this is on him.

Super weird, because so much talk was about how much of a hard worker he is/was. So which is it?
That's nonsense. Doesn't really warrant a mention if you follow Gizzle on any social media. Knees may be shot, but it won't be due to lack of work ethic. Out of shape? The dude needs to add 30lbs just to be an average size PF.

Then they lied for months.

That's worse. Way worse, I'd have respect for them as people if they were just incompetent at their jobs.
I don’t see that they lied. Things change. When this current injury surfaced, its time to re-evaluate him. Of course, the team hoped he would excel and be a part of their future. Maybe they have information that leads them to believe otherwise. If so, it’s irresponsible to extend him for another $4MM and a gross waste of potential salary cap space.

Did they mix him up with Swanigan?
Probably.

On a related note, what do people think of Harry's recent IG story's? Doesn't prove much, but it absolutely proves that his ACLs aren't torn at this moment in time. Dude is explosive as we've seen him. I just find the whole situation extremely bizarre. And I absolutely love Harry, which makes it hurt more. There is zero chance he'll be back if he proves himself healthy.

Well, seeing that the Kings have not made the playoffs for 13 years and going, maybe they should look at what the ardent fans on Kingsfans.com are saying BEFORE they make their dumb mistakes.

I mean, if they just went by what the majority of this board want, the Kings would no doubt be in a better place than they are at the current moment!

For example, the Kings should really read this board, because Mike Malone was a fan favorite to keep as coach and Luka Doncic was the runaway favorite on this board to draft. Those two decisions alone would had put this team on a much better trajectory than what we see now.

Last edited:
A player can have muscles and not be conditioned. There's a difference between pushing yourself to sprint up and down the court vs using little machines to make your abs pop out.

So I can see a scenario where Harry got jacked but did little to aid himself on the court. At the same time, this FO has lost a lot of their credibility, so who knows.

Unless Giles knees are truly busted, for the first time im F*ing pissed at this frront office that they didnt pick up his option.

My favorite player from that draft whom kings invested a ton of time into as well as gambling that 10th pick. This right on top of the horrific dumpster fire of a start.

Might be taking a break

Last edited:
Who would be a better back up center at 4 million (250th highest paid player) than Harry Giles even if he plays 60 games. Harry plays with skill and toughness - much needed traits. Sign Kings ownership is not rich enough for pro team ownership - Ownership is a billionaire club. Kings are bush league.

Who would be a better back up center at 4 million (250th highest paid player) than Harry Giles even if he plays 60 games. Harry plays with skill and toughness - much needed traits. Sign Kings ownership is not rich enough for pro team ownership - Ownership is a billionaire club. Kings are bush league.
Giles has yet to play 60 games total, now entering his 3rd year. I'm not sure he has played 60 games between his last 3 years of high school and one year of college.

Holmes himself got 5 million as a player with 3 years of rotation player experience.

While I hate the fact that Giles isn't viewed as worth a 4 million dollar gamble, it is a valid belief.

I never bought into Harry Giles' hype.

1. Harry missed his entire rookie year
  2. Harry only played 58 games in his first season debut
  3. Harry missed the entire SL+Preseason
  4. Harry has missed the teams' first 5 games in this season.
And - knowing that this is a business - we're upset that he isn't being offered a max contract? I agree there is financial value in Harry's social capital (we love him, he loves us), but I get being cautious on the business front. The FO has said clearly that he can still be an important part of the Kings future. Sadly, it makes sense to give the business side of things a little more time.

Giles has yet to play 60 games total, now entering his 3rd year. I'm not sure he has played 60 games between his last 3 years of high school and one year of college.

Holmes himself got 5 million as a player with 3 years of rotation player experience.

While I hate the fact that Giles isn't viewed as worth a 4 million dollar gamble, it is a valid belief.
I think Willie ended up only getting $2.1 million.

It's disappointing to say the least. Giles started off last season looking like trash, but he made significant improvements as the season went on.

Pre All Star Break On/Off = -12.3
Post All Star Break On/Off = +11.1

That's a massive change. His per36 numbers improved pre vs. post as well:

Pre All Star Break = .512 TS% / .496 FG% / .000 3PT% / .625 FT% / 9.2 PPG / 5.1 RPG / 1.9 APG / 0.9 SPG / 0.4 BPG / 1.8 TOPG / 3.9 FPG
Post All Star Break = .543 TS% / .518 FG% / .000 3PT% / .667 FT% / 12.4 PPG / 6.9 RPG / 2.7 APG / 0.5 SPG / 0.8 BPG / 1.8 TOPG / 3.4 FPG

So he improved his scoring efficiency, rebounds, assists (while keeping TOs the same), blocks, and started to foul less.

God if his knees aren't done for, this is a really stupid decision on Vlade's part.