Kings do not pick up Giles and Caleb team options for next year!

I think I am done with the kings for this year. I can't stand watching them, I cannot stand the moves they make... WTF... Fire everyone who has done anything to this team. Including the coach.
I’m pretty close. This has been such a disappointing first week of the season. Even if Giles never amounts to anything and this is a wise decision, it just throws one more wet blanket on everything. Can’t dream of Harry’s potential in a Kong’s uniform anymore. So deflating.

I’m pretty close. This has been such a disappointing first week of the season. Even if Giles never amounts to anything and this is a wise decision, it just throws one more wet blanket on everything. Can’t dream of Harry’s potential in a Kong’s uniform anymore. So deflating.
You can still dream about Justin James and Kyle Guy's potential...

:(

I understand the emotional side of this, but the Kings have been telling us they were wary of Giles for quite some time. People chalked it up to the Kings being careful with him. It's been so long since his injury, and included a full year of NBA rehab. If he's not ready to ball all out after that, then he won't get better. Someone who tears their achilles is ready to play sooner than that and an achilles is considered to be much more devastating. I'm sure I've said all of this before, but the writing was on the wall. I also bet they actually DID want to trade him this off season, but what does his MRI's show? The Kings may just be betting that when other teams take a look at the medical, they say no thank you.

I understand the emotional side of this, but the Kings have been telling us they were wary of Giles for quite some time. People chalked it up to the Kings being careful with him. It's been so long since his injury, and included a full year of NBA rehab. If he's not ready to ball all out after that, then he won't get better. Someone who tears their achilles is ready to play sooner than that and an achilles is considered to be much more devastating. I'm sure I've said all of this before, but the writing was on the wall. I also bet they actually DID want to trade him this off season, but what does his MRI's show? The Kings may just be betting that when other teams take a look at the medical, they say no thank you.
dude bs.

He has no value now.

If you guarantee it is possible to trade for value as a team could buy low then control his services later. Vivek = cheap sob.

On multiple forums, way early according to the experts many fans wanted OG.

We got sheehat and are going to let it fly away.

meh at both nothing major here, if Harry overcame his injury that would be nice but to look at him as a franchise changer is completely wrong. I think with the injuries and the fact Holmes is a terrific big off the bench (which Harry they hoped would be) was the final nail in the coffin. Again the terrible offseason really did a number on the Kings.

dude bs.

He has no value now.

If you guarantee it is possible to trade for value as a team could buy low then control his services later. Vivek = cheap sob.

On multiple forums, way early according to the experts many fans wanted OG.

We got sheehat and are going to let it fly away.
The worst part of this is, I don't think he's cheap. That spending spree over the summer - $150 million to Ariza, Dedmon, and Barnes. A cheap owner would've stuck for Willie at $2 million per year. The willingness to fire coaches and eat their contracts, even back to opting out of revenue sharing - Vivek is anything but cheap.

The sad reality is, management is just that dumb. They looked at a one-year option at $4 million and said it wasn't worth it. They're fine telling Harry they don't think he's worth squat, letting him go to UFA - think there's a chance in hell he re-signs after all this?

Unless you are 100% dead certain that Harry will never play again, or that he's 100% absolute busto nothing-burger even if he gets back on the court, you pick up that option. $4 million to secure the rights to a promising young rookie. That is absolutely nothing to this team.

Management is that completely hopeless. There is no universe where this move makes sense, no possible justification. None.

The worst part of this is, I don't think he's cheap. That spending spree over the summer - $150 million to Ariza, Dedmon, and Barnes. A cheap owner would've stuck for Willie at $2 million per year. The willingness to fire coaches and eat their contracts, even back to opting out of revenue sharing - Vivek is anything but cheap.

The sad reality is, management is just that dumb. They looked at a one-year option at $4 million and said it wasn't worth it. They're fine telling Harry they don't think he's worth squat, letting him go to UFA - think there's a chance in hell he re-signs after all this?

Unless you are 100% dead certain that Harry will never play again, or that he's 100% absolute busto nothing-burger even if he gets back on the court, you pick up that option. $4 million to secure the rights to a promising young rookie. That is absolutely nothing to this team.

Management is that completely hopeless. There is no universe where this move makes sense, no possible justification. None.
Yeah this. If Harry Giles plays another minute with anybody, this is by far one of the worst mistakes the FO has made and that's saying something. Even if you think he has irreparable knee problems, you still have another year of control/rehab available with him you can do and then make your decision then.

Kings gave up 5+years of possible team control of a talented young player (who may or may not be broken) to save $4mil next season. Absolutely sickening. Hope Giles recovers and beats our ass the next 10 years.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First a confession: I haven't read the whole thread. I don't have the time or stomach...

As far as the decision goes, I don't have a problem with it. Caleb is a no-brainer. Giles? What exactly has he shown? Hopes and dreams aside, he's STILL an unknown. Harry Giles, at least at this moment, is not going to save the franchise - especially if he cannot find a way to get and stay on the court.

First a confession: I haven't read the whole thread. I don't have the time or stomach...

As far as the decision goes, I don't have a problem with it. Caleb is a no-brainer. Giles? What exactly has he shown? Hopes and dreams aside, he's STILL an unknown. Harry Giles, at least at this moment, is not going to save the franchise - especially if he cannot find a way to get and stay on the court.
Well if Giles has value as a player, it's a penny pinching move that many find objectionable.
If Giles does not have value as a player, then our 10th pick in the 2017 NBA Draft turns out to be 27 year old $23M/yr Harrison Barnes, and is an indictment of our GM's scouting acumen. It bolsters the argument that only wild lottery luck has off-set his poor judgment on how to spend assets.

There is no good way to spin the news that the Kings aren't picking up a lousy $4M for the guy they have been putting on billboards and promotional videos for the last two years.

Thank you, finally someone said it!

I don't disagree with the decision to not pick up the option. In most cases this would easily be the right move and honestly he hasn't shown anything and likely will never play. My issue is more than we passed up on Donovan Mitchell and a few other solid players to draft him and Justin Jackson and then two years later just act like it's not a big deal to just let him walk. How many times can Vlade screw up before there is accountability? Most GM's would be fired over the Papa screw up, but outside of Fox Vlade has missed on every pick. WCS never panned out, Papa was a joke, Justin Jackson is terrible, and add to that we passed on two of the top star young players in the game right now - Mitchell and Doncic. At least Bagley could be good, but to pass on Mitchell for two dud picks is ridiculous. I think Vlade should step down ASAP

They do pick up Marvin and Fox of course, and yeah Caleb can just go

But they dont pick up Giles for 4 Mil , next year? Really?
yeah, he’s looked so solid this season. How could they not, right? Obviously, they know more about his condition to make this judgment.

I don't disagree with the decision to not pick up the option. In most cases this would easily be the right move and honestly he hasn't shown anything and likely will never play. My issue is more than we passed up on Donovan Mitchell and a few other solid players to draft him and Justin Jackson and then two years later just act like it's not a big deal to just let him walk. How many times can Vlade screw up before there is accountability? Most GM's would be fired over the Papa screw up, but outside of Fox Vlade has missed on every pick. WCS never panned out, Papa was a joke, Justin Jackson is terrible, and add to that we passed on two of the top star young players in the game right now - Mitchell and Doncic. At least Bagley could be good, but to pass on Mitchell for two dud picks is ridiculous. I think Vlade should step down ASAP
Yeah. The pick itself was always a gamble. The organization hyped him up because there was a new arena and nothing else to hype up. It backfired.

It's more than the draft picks with this franchise. It's how the develop the picks and set expectations. I think they really messed up the development of Skal and even failed to put WCS in his place.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This front office has mastered the art of "one step forward and two steps back". I'm not sure what there is to root for at this point. Keep losing until everyone gets fired I guess but that would just put us back at square one with Vivek hiring another coach and GM. If changing the coach isn't the answer and changing the GM isn't the answer and winning the lottery isn't the answer, what have we got left? Caring less is probably the only answer left.

Just about the only thing that would justify not picking up the option would be that the team just got new info that Giles would be shut down for the rest of the year, because of the knee injury, then I would give the Kings a pass on this one. If he doesn't play this year, then the Kings could resign him on a cheaper contract this summer.

But, If Harry Giles steps foot on the court to play this season, this is an absolute moronic move to not excercise his $4 million option. Declining a cheap $4 million on a player the FO and coaches have touted as a game changer since day one would be absolute moronic and inexcusable.

This front office has mastered the art of "one step forward and two steps back". I'm not sure what there is to root for at this point. Keep losing until everyone gets fired I guess but that would just put us back at square one with Vivek hiring another coach and GM. If changing the coach isn't the answer and changing the GM isn't the answer and winning the lottery isn't the answer, what have we got left? Caring less is probably the only answer left.
I got to the point in the Hornets game where I was laughing during the 2nd half instead of getting mad. That's where I'm at as far as caring goes.

Just about the only thing that would justify not picking up the option would be that the team just got new info that Giles would be shut down for the rest of the year, because of the knee injury, then I would give the Kings a pass on this one. If he doesn't play this year, then the Kings could resign him on a cheaper contract this summer.
In theory they could have agreed in principle that they would re-sign him to say 2 years at 3 million - more money guaranteed but money off the table for year 5. This could be because he is a month or two away and they don't want to rush him, etc. etc. They couldn't announce that kind of deal (which would also be non-binding) until the current contract is up.

But we're not at a point that I have any faith in the organization right now so I (and everyone else) am going to assume the absolute worst case.

In theory they could have agreed in principle that they would re-sign him to say 2 years at 3 million - more money guaranteed but money off the table for year 5. This could be because he is a month or two away and they don't want to rush him, etc. etc. They couldn't announce that kind of deal (which would also be non-binding) until the current contract is up.

But we're not at a point that I have any faith in the organization right now so I (and everyone else) am going to assume the absolute worst case.
I doubt that this F.O. can think that far ahead. A cheap $4 million option would be a no brainer for most F.O. for a player of Giles supposed talent.

Either they were lying to us about the condition of his knees all along or this F.O. has no clue on how to build a franchise. If Giles steps foot on the court to play basketball in the next few weeks, then this F.O. really has no clue.

Last edited:
I doubt that this F.O. can think that far ahead. A cheap $4 million option would be a no brainer for most F.O. for a player of Giles supposed talent.

Either they were lying to us about the condition of his knees all along or this F.O. has no clue on how to build a franchise. If Giles steps foot on the court to play basketball in the next few weeks, then this F.O. really has no clue.
I think it is fair to question this FOs talent evaluation right now. However I think when it comes to the cap and working around it creatively to maximize how and when money is spent, they have been aces. So I wouldn't put it past them.

What wouldn't change is the risk if Harry plays half a season and puts up the all star like numbers we are told he is capable of, that some team wouldn't just say F it and offer him crazy money that we could not match and Harry and his agent would say "hey, sorry about our deal but we can't take the risk of passing up guaranteed money".

If Harry shares an agent with some of our other guys though it could be indicative that there is some behind the scenes quid pro quo taking place to get both clients maximum money.

It was a team option. $4 mil was the only option.