[Game] Kings @ Mavericks, 1/27/2024, 6:00p PT/9:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Thursday, June 21, 2018, The Sacramento Kings had the 2nd overall pick in the NBA draft. The Atlanta Hawks originally owned pick number 3, but, as we all know, they decided to send that bad boy to Dallas.

On that day, the Kings, wanting to draft according to need, rather than upside/potential, decided to throw their chips at Marvin Bagley III, thus allowing the Dallas Mavericks to throw their chips at Luka Dončić.

We all know what took place leading up to that pick, we know what took place when that pick was made, and we all know what took place the days immediately following that pick. I respectfully ask that no one brings that into this thread, because that is not my intention.

Luka has done well for himself over in Dallas but, unfortunately, has to deal with a front office that really doesn't know how to build around him.

Marvin didn't do so well for himself in Sacramento, and is no longer on the Kings (good riddance)!!!

Both the Mavs and the Kings are fighting for playoff position. At the end of the day, that's all we could've asked for.

The argument now is not "Luka Vs Marvin", as I think that ship sailed a long time ago.

The argument now becomes "Kings Vs Mavs: Who wins a championship first?". This is a solid argument on both sides, as I am not quite sure we can say one team will definitely win one before the other. Both have talented rosters. Both have star players. This is not an argument for us fans to ponder over. Let's leave the final determination to our front office folks. Let them decide which team reaches the pinnacle next.

All I know is that Luka is a special talent who is fun to watch.

But, on this night, we're going to bring the fun.

And we're going to bring it to Dallas.

Along with some beans to light.

LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Letssss gooooo kingggggssssss !!!
There is nothing better to do on Sunday 4a.m. then wake up and watch how we destroy the Mavs at their own ground !!!
They will be tired , Luka is great but not enough to score 100total points in two nights kn a row Irwing is questionable too soooooo let’s take the second W away from home !!!!

Losing out on Luka will obviously sting for years to come, but despite his MVP-level excellence this season, the Mavericks still have a worse record than the Kings. He put up 73 last night, his team scored 148, and they beat the 18-27 Hawks by... 5 points. Yes, he's truly great, a generational talent and all that. Yes, he needs more help around him, as well as a better coach than Jason Kidd. But I have yet to see irrefutable evidence that his heliocentric style of play will ever yield more than modest success. Harden couldn't get it done in his prime out west or alongside Joel Embiid in the eastern conference. Things are looking pretty good for him in LA, at the moment, but that's after he bought in and sacrificed being a high usage heliocentric score first player.

Luka's got plenty of time, obviously, so we'll see. He'll eventually start making a dent in the playoffs. I'm just not convinced that he's going to have the kind of winning trajectory we expect from MVP-caliber talent.

Losing out on Luka will obviously sting for years to come, but despite his MVP-level excellence this season, the Mavericks still have a worse record than the Kings. He put up 73 last night, his team scored 148, and they beat the 18-27 Hawks by... 5 points. Yes, he's truly great, a generational talent and all that. Yes, he needs more help around him, as well as a better coach than Jason Kidd. But I have yet to see irrefutable evidence that his heliocentric style of play will ever yield more than modest success. Harden couldn't get it done in his prime out west or alongside Joel Embiid in the eastern conference. Things are looking pretty good for him in LA, at the moment, but that's after he bought in and sacrificed being a high usage heliocentric score first player.

Luka's got plenty of time, obviously, so we'll see. He'll eventually start making a dent in the playoffs. I'm just not convinced that he's going to have the kind of winning trajectory we expect from MVP-caliber talent.
you left out he needs to contribute on the defensive end. Players who dominate the ball on one end and rest on the defensive end makes for a bad team. It was why I wrongly wanted Bagley that draft. But in reality no player in that draft has been a lead your team to the finals type of player.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Another thing to consider: Luka would have probably saved Vlade's job if he drafted him.

Vlade would then continue his preternaturally bad run as GM, and Luka would break all our hearts by demanding a trade to get away from whatever hot mess the Kangz would be in this sad timeline.

Easier to miss what you never had.

Now let's go crush that chubby whiner!

Luka's an extraordinary talent. That's obvious, but I also want to be clear that I acknowledge the obvious.

I also want to acknowledge that I don't like him. I find the extreme never-committed-a-foul whininess super annoying. More than a little prima donna to him. What kind of star player can thrive alongside Luka? Can Luka ever NOT be the one taking the last shot? It's partly why I have love our stars, especially Domas. Why I had such love for Tyrese. Why I love HB. Each of those guys has little/no ego. Domas truly celebrates his teammates' successes as much as his own.

It's no coincidence that Brunson has flourished post-Luka. Porzingas is happier and playing better post-Luka. It's easy to say the Cavs need to do a better job building around Luka - and I wonder: do guys - stars - want to play w/Luka? Irving obviously is there and re-upped there, so that seems like a promising sign for them though I remember reading that Irving didn't have a lot of options given his salary echelon.

We'll see!

Luka questionable with "ankle soreness."

I think more likely he came down with "ducking foxietis."

Jason Anderson: The Dallas Mavericks are listing Luka Doncic (ankle), Derrick Jones Jr. (wrist) and Maxi Kleber (toe) as questionable for tonight’s game against the Sacramento Kings. Kyrie Irving (thumb) is doubtful.

Luka questionable with "ankle soreness."

I think more likely he came down with "ducking foxietis."

Jason Anderson: The Dallas Mavericks are listing Luka Doncic (ankle), Derrick Jones Jr. (wrist) and Maxi Kleber (toe) as questionable for tonight’s game against the Sacramento Kings. Kyrie Irving (thumb) is doubtful.
He looked like he could barely stand at the end of the game yesterday due to exhaustion.

Dallas and specially Doncic look totally empty of power , hope will continue as this :)
It really looks that on is on us , if want it enough we will take it

Status
Not open for further replies.