Kings coaching prospects (Merged)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
kingsfan52miller said:
i would like to see Elston Turner give it a try.
I would say the chances of that are roughly 0%. He pretty much got fired with Rick, and if that was their man they could have immediately announced he was taking over. Doubt this move would have been made wihtout one or more coaches in mind as a replacement.

Bricklayer said:
You are simply playing with fire there. Why? PJ has never won ANYTHING, and last time he was seen coaching he was a complete ******* who inspired one of the worst player/coach incidents in the history fo the league. And so we would hire him to coahc one (or possibly two if Bonzi is resigned) of the most ocmbustible personalities in the league WHY???
I agree it is a risk, but it is a risk that is going to be taken by someone. Were talking about a coach that was choked, and how many years ago was that. In terms of him not winning anything, I seem to think he's got three rings-- not to bad. I don't see a better option that is available right now. Me personally, I wouldn't mind having a team that resembled that team that just beat us!

I don't know too much about the college level, but are there any college coaches worth giving a shot to? Or assistant coaches elsewhere?

My favorites I have heard mentioned so far: Terry Porter, PJ Carlesimo, Eddie Jordan (even though I know he's with the Wizards- any word on his contract?), Paul Silas...

Well, if we get PJ, maybe we can call up Sprewell and hire him as one of his assistants, I heard he isn't doing anything and if I remember right, these two work well together :p

How long are they going to make us insane wondering who they have in mind?

Has the league announced when the draft will be? It should all be settled before then, right?

Do they have a coach for our summer league team yet? I know that is of lesser importance right now, but it is important insomuch as we NEED to redevelop our bench.

Mario Elie.

He was the catalyst in the Spurs championship run. He's similar to Cassell... he has the intangibles to be a champion.

If he's on the market, I say hire him. Because let's face it, we would only fire Adelman to get a coach that can win us a championship. And Mario Elie has proven that he can make a champion. Not Lenny Wilkens. Not Hubie Brown (okay, not for 30+ years). Not P.J. Carlesimo.

If all we care about is winning the championship, our best option would be to sign Mario Elie. No, he hasn't the experience. But he has the attitude. Similar to Avery Johnson.

Lenny Wilkens. Doug Collins. Hubie Brown. etc. These are all proven veteran coaches. They're all going to win lots of games for you. And they're all SAFE picks. You know what you're getting. They're old school. None of them have had a whiff of a championship in a long time. They'll do their jobs well, but they won't connect with the players of today. I was a fan of a Wilkens coached team for 8 years. I know.

I don't know too much about Mario Elie, but I know he will get you the championship attitude. Honestly, we have players who can play, players that know their X's and O's; we need a coach that can give them the confidence to inspire them to that championship level. And that's why my vote goes to Mario Elie. I don't care that he's never been a head coach before. I don't even know that much about him. But I do know that what this team has needed is the mental attitude of a champion, and Elie is the one person on that list that has that. He can inspire, he can motivate, he can take us to that next level.

Bricklayer

It might take a while, it might be in a couple of days, All depends on how well planned this all was. Also depends to what degree Geoff is involved. If Geoff is running the show, I would expect him to interviewing people, maybe looking at assistant coaches etc. People we don't really know much about. If the Maloofs are running it, I would think they already have some bigger names in mind, and they are likely to be higher profile established guys + it might be quicker.

chelle said:
How long are they going to make us insane wondering who they have in mind?

Has the league announced when the draft will be? It should all be settled before then, right?

Do they have a coach for our summer league team yet? I know that is of lesser importance right now, but it is important insomuch as we NEED to redevelop our bench.
As of now, we have no coaches for the summer league team. At the press conference, GP said they'd like to get someone on board before the draft and the summer league. He also said they'd get together before the end of the week to put a list together. (I'm fairly certain they already know who they would like.) If its anybody associated with a team currently in the playoffs (like an assistant), I think they have to wait until after that team is eliminated. Also, I think if its someone with a current contract with another team, they have to ask the team's permission to talk to him? Not positive. Anyway, we could hear fairly soon or it could be a few weeks. The suspense will be killing me.:(

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
kingkung said:
Mario Elie.

He was the catalyst in the Spurs championship run. He's similar to Cassell... he has the intangibles to be a champion.

If he's on the market, I say hire him. Because let's face it, we would only fire Adelman to get a coach that can win us a championship. And Mario Elie has proven that he can make a champion. Not Lenny Wilkens. Not Hubie Brown (okay, not for 30+ years). Not P.J. Carlesimo.

If all we care about is winning the championship, our best option would be to sign Mario Elie. No, he hasn't the experience. But he has the attitude. Similar to Avery Johnson.
I know I've thrown his name out more than once tonight as have a few others but this is the most passioned and logical reason yet I've heard for bringing him in. I've already stated my desire to give a young coach a shot and I'd be 100% behind this. If Montgomery leaves Golden State I think he's first in line for that job and I have no doubt he'll be a head coach by this time next year.

Bricklayer

kingkung said:
Mario Elie.

Okay, I like Mario too, but he hasn't PROVEN anything when it comes to coaching. A complete neophyte. You can see the potential, but who knows how he reacts to the head coaching spot?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Bricklayer said:
Okay, I like Mario too, but he hasn't PROVEN anything when it comes to coaching. A complete neophyte. You can see the potential, but who knows how he reacts to the head coaching spot?
All of the other candidates whose names are being tossed out there have proven that they're capable of doing slightly less than the job that Rick did over the past few years. None have rings to show for it and most have significantly lower career winning percentages. I sure hope we don't jump on the coaching carousel with a string of average coaches. Why not give a guy like Elie a chance, it probably won't break the bank to bring him here and if it doesn't work out it will be easier to move on, especially if a truly elite coach becomes available. Of course if he is the next great thing then the Maloofs and Petrie look like geniuses.

Bricklayer said:

How did Avery Johnson react? That's the best judge of how I would expect Mario Elie to react. Personally, being a proven coach might not necessarily be a good thing. Like pdx said, I would rather have a young, energetic coach who hasn't experienced a losing culture yet. New, young team, new , young coach.

I get the feeling, perhaps just the hope, that the Maloofs will agree to someone who is not a big name. In my mind, that's really the best hope for this team. Find somebody with the coaching style that doesn't completely clash with the current players and that is an up and comer. While there's a distinct possibility that such a choice wouldn't work out, I think that path also has more potential for great things.

The Kings already have Artest, so they'll have some limelight no matter what for the next couple years. No need for a big name coach "splash". Just find somebody who could be very good.

Bricklayer

kingkung said:

How did Avery Johnson react? That's the best judge of how I would expect Mario Elie to react. Personally, being a proven coach might not necessarily be a good thing. Like pdx said, I would rather have a young, energetic coach who hasn't experienced a losing culture yet. New, young team, new , young coach.
Um...last time I checked, Avery Johnson and Mario Elie were two seperate people, without even so much as a psychic link.

You may HOPE that Mario works out as well as Avery, but laying it out there as any kind of "proof" is like saying that Byron Scott, Magic, and Rambis all played togetehr so they were all going to be equally good coaches. Does not follow.

doug collins is an intresting idea

what about convincining bill lambeer to ditch the WNBA and come coach the kings? i'm sure he could light a fire under brad to play better D. or how to take someone out LOL

what i want to know is if anybody really believes that any *available* coach being discussed in this thread would lead the kings to 5 straight 50+ win seasons and 7 consecutive playoff appearances.

why **** with what works? i sincerely do not understand. change for the sake of change doesn't work for players unless they're malcontents (see ron artest), and last time i checked, change for the sake of change never helped any coaching position, either (and, for the record, rick adelman is hardly a trouble maker). if the kings were a lottery team after the artest trade, we would be having this discussion, but after making the playoffs and with a bright future ahead, what reason was there to mess with what was shaping up to be a winning formula? obviously, the cement had not dried yet, but a foundation was being laid, and adelman was a clear part of that foundation. now the team is gonna be forced to start from scratch........again. there would have been continuity going into next season, but no, why do things "the right way" by extending rick adelman his due? :rolleyes:

the maloofs exercised very poor judgement in this instance, and i am extremely disappointed.

Last edited:
I haven't heard any relevant reasons why Don Nelson would be a bad idea yet. Despite the myth he can coach some great defense (check back when he was in Milwaulkee) he has a huge win percentage, comparable to Adelman's. He's eccentric, kind of like our players. I think he would be a great fit actually. He already works for the Maloofs on some stupid sitcom, I think he's all chummy with them anyway. He's really the odds on favorite right now.

Padrino said:
what i want to know is if anybody really believes that any *available* coach being discussed in this thread would lead the kings to 5 straight 50+ win seasons and 7 consecutive playoff appearances.

why **** with what works? i sincerely do not understand. change for the sake of change doesn't work for players unless they're malcontents (see ron artest), and last time i checked, change for the sake of change never helped any coaching position, either (and, for the record, rick adelman is hardly a trouble maker). if the kings were a lottery team after the artest trade, we would be having this discussion, but after making the playoffs and with a bright future ahead, what reason was there to mess with what was shaping up to be a winning formula? obviously, the cement had not dried yet, but a foundation was being laid, and adelman was a clear part of that foundation. now the team is gonna be forced to start from scratch........again. there would have been continuity going into next season, but no, why do things "the right way" by extending rick adelman his due? :rolleyes:

the maloofs exercised very poor judgement in this instance, and i am extremely disappointed.
I'm not sure if anyone COULD answer this. Could anyone have predicted that Avery Johnson would win COY? Or that Phil Jackson would have become the coach he is when he first took over in Chicago? Everyone keeps comparing him to existing "head coaches" in the league and yes its true that most of them lack Rick's resume. But that's irrelevant as the change was made to see what they can do with this team, not the other teams they've had. Its like saying that Rick shouldn't have been given the chance with the kings because of how poor his record was with the Warriors.

Bricklayer said:
Um...last time I checked, Avery Johnson and Mario Elie were two seperate people, without even so much as a psychic link.

You may HOPE that Mario works out as well as Avery, but laying it out there as any kind of "proof" is like saying that Byron Scott, Magic, and Rambis all played togetehr so they were all going to be equally good coaches. Does not follow.

Well, how would YOU think he would react? No one knows. I can only make an educated guess based on his personality. And based on his personality, which is similar to that of Avery Johnson (a relentless fighter, an underrated scrub who fought his way up through the ranks and eventually led the Spurs to a championship), I would guess that he would have a similar effect to the Kings as Avery has on the Mavs.

Hiring any coach is a risk, no matter what their prior history was. I say, if you're going to hire a coach, the most important quality to coach the Kings, a team that's done everything but win a championship, is a championship, never-say-die attitude. And Elie has that in spades.

Evenstar said:
what about convincining bill lambeer to ditch the WNBA and come coach the kings? i'm sure he could light a fire under brad to play better D. or how to take someone out LOL
That's another hiring I would back, but not as much as Elie.

Nobody out there can hold a candle to RA. But if you have to go with someone it's gotta be........Larry Brown. As much as I dislike him, the dude is great coach. Yes, he's had a terrible year with the Knicks, but I think is attributed more to the Knicks selfish players, than to LB. I think he's the best bet in trying to make this team a defensive juggernaut. He's also accomplished enough to command respect from the likes of Ron or Bonzi. Bring on Larry Brown.

Adelman coached the Blazers from 1989–1994. Who got the job after he left? PJ. From 1995–1997, Adelman coached the Warriors. Who took over the coaching job when he left? PJ.

PJ is the new Sacramento Kings coach

(This is all flawed logic.)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingKong said:
Nobody out there can hold a candle to RA. But if you have to go with someone it's gotta be........Larry Brown. As much as I dislike him, the dude is great coach. Yes, he's had a terrible year with the Knicks, but I think is attributed more to the Knicks selfish players, than to LB. I think he's the best bet in trying to make this team a defensive juggernaut. He's also accomplished enough to command respect from the likes of Ron or Bonzi. Bring on Larry Brown.
Command respect from Ron or Bonzi? Yeah...

Larry Brown would be run out of town on a rail before the ink dried on his contract.

SkinnerBox said:
So much for next season. I wonder which team Adelman will take the the playoffs next year?
We will win 50+ games and we will be a contender. Count on it. Just because a coach isn't physically present doesn't mean that his impact won't be felt on his team for years to come.

its funny....alot of people that were bashing adelman during his years here are the same people ***ching about him not being our coach anymore..

i think that angers me more then this whole adelman not being our coach anymore situation