[Game] Kings @ Pelicans, 11/20/2023 5:00pm Pacific 8:00pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have back-to-back games against the Pelicans on the road.
I haven’t been following many teams this and last season and the Pelicans is one of them. Since my knowledge about them (and I guess some folks on this board) is limited, please shed light on their:
  • pros and cons,
  • tough matchups,
  • what and who to look for., etc.?
Recently they beat the Nuggets and went toe to toe with the Timberwolves, so I’m curious. Their current standing in WC is 6-7.

NO.jpg

Their big man is a rough and tough center. He’s not going to have crazy stat lines but is as solid as they come and can be tough to deal with. Domas may struggle a bit here as he is not going to be able to initiate bully ball very easily here. Will have to beat him with speed and smarts and pepper in some outside shots to open up that lane a bit.

Brandon Ingram can have some crazy hot streaks and is capable of making some really wild shots. I suspect we will have trouble guarding him; I would try putting Keegan on him and see what results we get. Very savvy offensive player, but also capable of making some dumb decisions at times.

The rest of the team I don’t know that well. Zion is a human pogo stick and is capable of some highlight reels, but don’t know much more than that.

Back to back after an exciting win in Dallas. Any word on Ellis, limped off the court, and Huerter for tonight?
CD might have found his groove, very happy with his contributio.

Their big man is a rough and tough center. He’s not going to have crazy stat lines but is as solid as they come and can be tough to deal with. Domas may struggle a bit here as he is not going to be able to initiate bully ball very easily here. Will have to beat him with speed and smarts and pepper in some outside shots to open up that lane a bit.

Brandon Ingram can have some crazy hot streaks and is capable of making some really wild shots. I suspect we will have trouble guarding him; I would try putting Keegan on him and see what results we get. Very savvy offensive player, but also capable of making some dumb decisions at times.

The rest of the team I don’t know that well. Zion is a human pogo stick and is capable of some highlight reels, but don’t know much more than that.
yes, wish we had Lin at our disposal to throw at Valanciunas. Never liked the guy after his move on Metu.

yes, wish we had Lin at our disposal to throw at Valanciunas. Never liked the guy after his move on Metu.
Wasn’t all that likable even before that, but I agree. I hope JaVale is able to keep his composure tonight, we are going to need him. He was completely out of whack for a good portion of the game yesterday. Revenge game and all that, I get it, but he was definitely not zeroed in and made some silly mistakes. We are going to need him tonight, hope he’s ready.

@Remi. Thanks for the shot chart. Was hoping to see more outside the paint
I mean.. why? Dude was literally 13-13; they could not stop him from getting to the rim, so go take the easiest shots closest to the rim. He had a few 3pt attempts, at least 2 like 12-foot jumpers and a beautiful turn-around 15 foot mid range jumper.

Macro, we need him taking open jumpers, but I'm not going to fault him just dominating around the rim when they aren't putting any sort of defense against stopping it.

I mean.. why? Dude was literally 13-13; they could not stop him from getting to the rim, so go take the easiest shots closest to the rim. He had a few 3pt attempts, at least 2 like 12-foot jumpers and a beautiful turn-around 15 foot mid range jumper.

Macro, we need him taking open jumpers, but I'm not going to fault him just dominating around the rim when they aren't putting any sort of defense against stopping it.
I’m not faulting him. Just was hoping to see more evidence he has successfully expanded his range.

I didn't get a chance to comment before the other thread closed but I thought that was the best performance of the season. Both teams had their offenses turned up to 100 for almost 3 quarters. It was like which team is going to falter and merely play average instead of incredible offense first? Mavs faltered and the Kings never let off the throttle. That was a game where you're down by 10 if your offense dips for even a couple minutes. Great win.

I can't stand Doncic game and would have a hard time rooting for him. He is such a whiny P hole.
Donic and Jokic's game are similar using their overweight size to dominate with slow-mo movement. The best way to defend these type of players is to have another lengthy player coming from behind to swat the ball from blindside. Since they're slow at rising up...there is plenty of time to block their shots.

Donic and Jokic's game are similar using their overweight size to dominate with slow-mo movement. The best way to defend these type of players is to have another lengthy player coming from behind to swat the ball from blindside. Since they're slow at rising up...there is plenty of time to block their shots.
Doncic flops, flails, and whines. I just can't with that guy. He has the most punch able face in the entire league, right ahead of Draymond.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Regarding Zion, I saw him interviewed and he didn't seem like a happy camper with the coach. He grudgingly talked about buying in, but it was all words as far as I could tell. Seemed like the prototypical young guy that gets drafted high and then petulantly thinks his team owes him whatever his heart desires.

I want to trade for him personally.
He is a bit too expensive as a back up for 10-15 min a game, but would dominate offensively in those minutes.Every time Zion sits JVal turns into 20/10 guy.I hope they keep him parked at the 3 point line tonight because Zion is playing and needs spacing.He has dominated Domas on offense almost every time

Sasha at the 5 small ball?

He'll die against Jonas though. Who backs him up?

We're deep at wing now with Colby emerging, so Hueter and Keon dosen't hurt too much.
Will he though? If we have five shooters on the floor we might run them ragged. Shooters who all can attack the rim a bit too. Would be quite interesting to go small/shooting heavy here.

Fox
Jones
Keegan
Barnes
Sasha

Or:
Fox
Monk
Jones
Sasha
Javale Abdul Jabbar

Status