Kings coaching prospects (Merged)

:rolleyes:

****...just heard the news...

the kings better pray that some premiere nba coach gets fired this offseason, because 5 straight 50-win teams and 7 straight playoff appearances don't come cheap...

F

Fillmoe

is there any truth about jeff van gundy getting fired? if so i wish we could get that guy

I wouldn't mind having a younger coach with some fire. I liked Terry Porter. And I know he's with the Wizards but I liked Eddie Jordan a lot and didn't feel he got a good opportunity here.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Fillmoe said:
is there any truth about jeff van gundy getting fired? if so i wish we could get that guy
Decent coach, but there's a reason he's getting fired.

Never coached a great team, and may be fundamentally unable to. Also really resembles Rick Carlisle on offense -- control freak that I could see Artest chafing under.

Bricklayer said:
Decent coach, but there's a reason he's getting fired.

Never coached a great team, and may be fundamentally unable to. Also really resembles Rick Carlisle on offense -- control freak that I could see Artest chafing under.
not to mention Bibby, Miller, Martin, Wells...

My picks:
Paul Silas or Jim O'Brien
Both are solid coaches.

Paul is the great REBOUNDING master. I always liked his style (but, admittedly, was a bit scared by the ERIC SNOW thing)
Jim is a fundimental coach of the New School. Likes the 3, but is SOLID on defense.

No Van Gundys. I LOVE the Gundys, but they would be terrible fits for this Kings squad. Kings need another midle of the road coach (O vs D) with emphasis on in game decision making.

:eek: The more I read this thread, the more depressed I got.

Oh my goodness, the choices are limited at best. I just keep thinking, "Who is going to erupt first next season - Ron or Bonzi? Of course that is assuming that we keep Bonzi.

NOT a highpoint day in the kingdom.:rolleyes:

Bricklayer

jacobdrj said:
My picks:
Paul Silas or Jim O'Brien
Both are solid coaches.

Paul is the great REBOUNDING master. I always liked his style (but, admittedly, was a bit scared by the ERIC SNOW thing)
Jim is a fundimental coach of the New School. Likes the 3, but is SOLID on defense.
The same Jim O'Brien who got canned in Philly last year? :eek:

chelle said:
:eek: The more I read this thread, the more depressed I got.

Oh my goodness, the choices are limited at best. I just keep thinking, "Who is going to erupt first next season - Ron or Bonzi? Of course that is assuming that we keep Bonzi.

NOT a highpoint day in the kingdom.:rolleyes:
I think we're making a lot of assumptions about Adelman's ability to "control" Bonzi and Artest. While I agree that he is a good players coach and has dealt with some troublemakers, he was also at the helm in the Webber vs. Peja days and did a poor job of controlling the team during the rough start at the beginning of the year. Not saying there couldn't be problems but I don't think that should be the major issue for next year.

Bricklayer

PixelPusher said:
O'Brien needs to stay right were he is at ESPN.

Paul Silas is the first name mentioned so far today that didn't make me want to vomit.
And yet, such a horrendously overrated coach. He's ok in a boringly workmanlike fashion. That is if you like your coaches sub-.500 and thinking the first round of the playoffs are Nirvanna.

I just had a bad thought.

I know that if they are paid enough, we can get a coach. However, do y'all think that we will have trouble finding a QUALITY coach because of Artest and Wells? I think that most of us have learned to really appreciate what they bring to our team and, as the custom of most Kings fans, have grown to love them as Kings already, but are the coaches as willing to accept them?

Haven't most coaches expressed a reluctance to have one or both of them on their team?

NewMonkey said:
The last guy he screamed at didn't take well to it. I wouldn't try the same thing with Artest.
I agree, Spreewell has proven himself to be a first rate, classy professional who is well adjusted, who has shown a willingness to get along with coaches and management. Golden State has also shown itself to be a first rate organization that has continued compete for a championship since he left. Finally, getting a coach that has sat next to a coach who is widely viewed as being one of the three best in the league is a terrible idea. The alternatives are so more appealing.:confused:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Jim O'Brien would be a big bad no no. Horrible reputation with a lot of his former players (some of whom are current Kings, although most of us are hoping to see them go) so I can see him not working with Bonzi and Artest. He brought some success to the Celtics although they were one of the least watchable teams during that stretch and then flamed out in Phily. He is also worse than Adelman when it comes to exiling players to the nether regions of the bench.

Hubie Brown is a good enough commentator and coach but too old, has health problems and is way more of a disciplinarian than we need.

We could do a lot worse than Silas or either Van Gundy but I also think we could do better. I don't think any of them could take this team to the next level.

Unfortunately there just aren't any elite level coaches out there in the wings so we're probably going to have to gamble on someone of lesser experience at this point. Last year they were out there, this year they're not. I think our best bet is taking a gamble on a younger coach if one can be found that will command the respect of the core vets on the team, most likely one of the former players who have already been mentioned. And if it doesn't work out you pull the plug and bring in one of the elite coaches the moment they become available.

Bricklayer

rings4Kings said:
I agree, Spreewell has proven himself to be a first rate, classy professional who is well adjusted, who has shown a willingness to get along with coaches and management. Golden State has also shown itself to be a first rate organization that has continued compete for a championship since he left. Finally, getting a coach that has sat next to a coach who is widely viewed as being one of the three best in the league is a terrible idea. The alternatives are so more appealing.:confused:
You are simply playing with fire there. Why? PJ has never won ANYTHING, and last time he was seen coaching he was a complete ******* who inspired one of the worst player/coach incidents in the history fo the league. And so we would hire him to coahc one (or possibly two if Bonzi is resigned) of the most ocmbustible personalities in the league WHY???