[Game] Kings @ Clippers - Thursday, Jan. 30 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta say we saw the impact of a Dewayne Dedmon defensively tonight. Basketball is all confidence and rhythm. Dedmon is always solid on D, even in the blowouts but he got things flowing tonight and for the first time we saw how valuable a dialed in Dedmon is. There are obviously bigger problems that need to be addressed by the FO because there is some overflow going on in the front court. This combo of bigs is too deep and this team is too good when playing small for it to be left as is. And Walton can't continue to rotate the bigs in and out like puzzle pieces once they are all healthy because of that rhythm everything is built on. I don't know who are the 3 main bigs left standing are when the dust settles but Vlade and his staff need to be putting on their thinking caps. It might even be worth looking into a blockbuster type of deal if need be.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Gotta say we saw the impact of a Dewayne Dedmon defensively tonight. Basketball is all confidence and rhythm. Dedmon is always solid on D, even in the blowouts but he got things flowing tonight and for the first time we saw how valuable a dialed in Dedmon is. There are obviously bigger problems that need to be addressed by the FO because there is some overflow going on in the front court. This combo of bigs is too deep and this team is too good when playing small for it to be left as is. And Walton can't continue to rotate the bigs in and out like puzzle pieces once they are all healthy because of that rhythm everything is built on. I don't know who are the 3 main bigs left standing are when the dust settles but Vlade and his staff need to be putting on their thinking caps. It might even be worth looking into a blockbuster type of deal if need be.
Yes. They would not have won without Dedmon in this game. Giles just couldn't handle Harrell at all. Four steals and good defense around the basket by Dedmon. He probably had his best game of the season. I agree about the bigs. There is an overabundance and it puts Walton in a difficult situation. Divac needs to make a deal to rectify the situation. It would be interesting to know if Dedmon is as adamant about a trade as he once was.

Great win.
I hope they can sustain it going forward. Lack of consistency and focused effort has been an issue all season.

And Fox has been one of the main culprits IMO. Whoever alluded to Fox having the Mamba mentality, I disagree. That is something that drives you constantly, not something you switch on every 3 games or so.

I hope I am wrong.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great win.
I hope they can sustain it going forward. Lack of consistency and focused effort has been an issue all season.

And Fox has been one of the main culprits IMO. Whoever alluded to Fox having the Mamba mentality, I disagree. That is something that drives you constantly, not something you switch on every 3 games or so.

I hope I am wrong.
Yeah, you're wrong. Tonight is the totally wrong night to make some absurd comment like that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Great win.

I hope I am wrong.
"Hey the Kings just won. Time to go to a Kings fan page and spit out my #HOTTAEK about the best player on the team immediately after he puts up a career night against one of the best defenders in the league for some reason."

Admittedly, as the game went on, I wasn't expecting the big lead to hold. But it did. And they didn't need to hit 15 threes in the 2nd half to do it. Swipa just decided to take over.

Shout out to the defense, which was pretty darn good most the night. Like coach said in his presser, if they could somehow manage to play that type of defense consistently, they might really have something.

This is a lost season and highly disappointing, but I do like that they're trying. A fairly impressive win, even without Leonard. At that point differential, I'm not sure Leonard would've made up the gap anyway. Sometimes I look at the statline and wonder about Barnes.... like this game- 3 Reb/ 3 Ass/ 6 pts -- no steals no blocks in 31 min - his large haul contract for these interspersed pidlly-widlies. I expect more rebounds and a steal or a block. He's got to be more consistent and/or assertive.

This is a lost season and highly disappointing, but I do like that they're trying. A fairly impressive win, even without Leonard. At that point differential, I'm not sure Leonard would've made up the gap anyway. Sometimes I look at the statline and wonder about Barnes.... like this game- 3 Reb/ 3 Ass/ 6 pts -- no steals no blocks in 31 min - his large haul contract for these interspersed pidlly-widlies. I expect more rebounds and a steal or a block. He's got to be more consistent and/or assertive.
In my eyes Barnes' role on this team is to be
1) a good finisher (check)
2) a person you could dump the ball into the post to draw a foul score a bucket when the offense isn't working (WAY too inconsistent)
3) floor spacer (absolutely failing)
4) play excellent perimeter defense (decent, but the team defense is way too bad for it to maek a difference)

As long as he's doing those things, I'm happy even though he's being paid double what someone with that role should be getting. I want to see him be more consistent in the post when needed and work on his shot. He doesn't even need to be guarded on the perimeter and that will limit Fox from doing what he did last night more often.

In my eyes Barnes' role on this team is to be
1) a good finisher (check)
2) a person you could dump the ball into the post to draw a foul score a bucket when the offense isn't working (WAY too inconsistent)
3) floor spacer (absolutely failing)
4) play excellent perimeter defense (decent, but the team defense is way too bad for it to maek a difference)

As long as he's doing those things, I'm happy even though he's being paid double what someone with that role should be getting. I want to see him be more consistent in the post when needed and work on his shot. He doesn't even need to be guarded on the perimeter and that will limit Fox from doing what he did last night more often.
Barnes is the Kings’ most capable and consistently utilized post-up guy, which to me is problematic and speaks to the deficiencies of the “big men” currently on the roster. Harrison seems like he is an unselfish team player and probably a valuable veteran presence in the locker room, but I don’t think he is worth the $20+M/season that the organization is paying him.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Kayte Hunter mentioned during the postgame that Lindsay Harding was the assistant coach who was assigned scouting duties for this game. That makes me wonder whether there is a way we can find out which assistants scout which games. Is that information published anywhere?

Obvious Fox had a great offensive game, but to me I think the last game was his best defensively. He was active; got in passing lanes, for steal that led to fast break/dunk. He was wearing other players, playing solid defense without fouling. He wasn't going for head fakes. He was going for chase down blocks and help defense in the paint. He gambled for a steal here and there, but I'm okay with that.

Fox can still improve, especially with his free throws and 3 pt shot, but this is what I've been waiting for. The dribble penetration is there, but I've been waiting for his defense to reach "another level."

Status
Not open for further replies.