[Game] Kings @ Clippers - Wednesday, Dec. 26 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings allowed 41 and 39 points respectively in the first quarter of the two games played against the Clippers. The Clippers physical players set a lot of screeens, allowing for drives to the paint with no fear at all of getting their shots blocked by Kings interior players. They also have no fear of an inside offensive presence on the Kings; thus, they can pressure on the outside with their very good defensive guards. Moreover, as has been noted, with the centers of the Kings being no outside shooting threat, the defensive physicallity of the Clipps is just magnified that much more, as they pack the paint, which means they get even more dominant in the paint than they would be otherwise. To me, it is amazing that Fox made the interior baskets that he did, given the above. He had to be like a quick-on-quick mouse looking for a micro-crack in the woodwork in order to get the cheese. The mortals like Hield and Bogs just can't do that and end up crushed in the mass of bodies.

To defeat a team like the Clippers, the Kings can go one of two ways, or maybe they can go both ways with different types of centers in different parts of the game. Either they have a center who is a legit inside scoring threat, drawing the opposition to double team, thus leaving open outside shooters such as Hield. Or the Kings can have a legit outside shooting center who opens up the court for Fox and Co., thereby making their drives to the basket more of a threat, hence giving them space on the periphery for their three point shooting. Space is an enemy of physicallity and 3 point shooting creates space. On defense, the Kings must get longer, more physical, more active, and more threatening to the opposition, and must get better at defensive rebounding. In so doing, they can get a lot more fast break opportunities. Overall, the Clippers are far too physical for the Kings as they are now constitued This isn't news to Divac. I'm sure his future acquisitions will target this area of need.

I don't think we were exhausted last night. I think we were outclassed by a better team.
To be fair, I didn't watch the game (family stuff), so I would trust your eyes on that. I remember Joerger saying something along those lines (guys are tired, esp Fox) after the previous game... I did notice a lopsided first quarter that we never recovered from, so what ever is causing that... obviously needs to be addressed.

Great teams or coaches never talk about players being tired. Do you ever hear Pop, Rick Carlisle, Rivers, etc spewing that garbage. Tired? Please. This is the NBA. Great teams step up.

Joerger is Soft. That's why Kings have yet to beat one Elite Team, other than OKC.

Joerger outcoached??? Give the other team some credit! The Clippers are bigger at almost every position, are more experienced at almost every position and have a team full of good veteran players. It is easy to see the influence Jerry West has had on that squad. Doc Rivers has not forgotten how to Coach as well.

The Kings just had two thrilling comeback games but could not get it done in LA last night. The loss was due to many things but I think Coaching had little to do with it. The Kings could not make a 3 pointer for most of the game. Their interior defense continues to allow too many layups. That said the Clippers starters are huge and the whole squad is full of defensive stoppers. The Clippers have players who have been on all defensive teams and 2 sixth men of the year candidates.

Some games you just have to tip your hat to the other squad and focus on moving forward.
Clippers are about the worst matchup for the Kings in the league. They can defend our strengths, have a much better bench, and how they attack on offense is in the area we are weak defensively. If we are not draining 3s we just cant stay with them

The Kings allowed 41 and 39 points respectively in the first quarter of the two games played against the Clippers. The Clippers physical players set a lot of screeens, allowing for drives to the paint with no fear at all of getting their shots blocked by Kings interior players. They also have no fear of an inside offensive presence on the Kings; thus, they can pressure on the outside with their very good defensive guards. Moreover, as has been noted, with the centers of the Kings being no outside shooting threat, the defensive physicallity of the Clipps is just magnified that much more, as they pack the paint, which means they get even more dominant in the paint than they would be otherwise. To me, it is amazing that Fox made the interior baskets that he did, given the above. He had to be like a quick-on-quick mouse looking for a micro-crack in the woodwork in order to get the cheese. The mortals like Hield and Bogs just can't do that and end up crushed in the mass of bodies.

To defeat a team like the Clippers, the Kings can go one of two ways, or maybe they can go both ways with different types of centers in different parts of the game. Either they have a center who is a legit inside scoring threat, drawing the opposition to double team, thus leaving open outside shooters such as Hield. Or the Kings can have a legit outside shooting center who opens up the court for Fox and Co., thereby making their drives to the basket more of a threat, hence giving them space on the periphery for their three point shooting. Space is an enemy of physicallity and 3 point shooting creates space. On defense, the Kings must get longer, more physical, more active, and more threatening to the opposition, and must get better at defensive rebounding. In so doing, they can get a lot more fast break opportunities. Overall, the Clippers are far too physical for the Kings as they are now constitued This isn't news to Divac. I'm sure his future acquisitions will target this area of need.
Skal might be the player to get more minutes at center in matchups like this.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Great teams or coaches never talk about players being tired. Do you ever hear Pop, Rick Carlisle, Rivers, etc spewing that garbage. Tired? Please. This is the NBA. Great teams step up.

Joerger is Soft. That's why Kings have yet to beat one Elite Team, other than OKC.
Oh, please. This is a YOUNG team that has surprised virtually everybody with their amazing improvement and you want to blame it on Joerger, saying he's soft? Weak, dude. Really weak.

First you said we hadn't beaten an elite team. Then when corrected, you add in OKC. Face it. Nothing this team does is going to be good enough for you.

WE AREN'T A GREAT TEAM YET - but we're headed in the right direction. To think otherwise is just silly.