[Game] Kings @ Warriors - Thursday, Feb. 21 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw bits and pieces of the game at various bay are spots last night. I live in the bay. Dubs fans respect the sh*t out of the Kings. Well earned.

Hate that we lost, but I guess it was expected. Bags really jumped out in the pieces that I saw. Sounds like there's some drama between Buddy and Joeger--I don't mind it. That was a crazy shot. A Trae Young shot. Hero ball. He made it, but had he missed, the narrative would've been different.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The Kings gave GS all they wanted. The Kings played defense and outrebounded GS. Bagley got 14 boards, Hield 7, Barnes 7, Giles 8 and Willie a measly 5. The Kings could not hit the 3 worth beans but were still right there at the end. That is impressive right there. The Kings play GS tough every game even at their place.

The Kings match up okay with GS. We ran their tails off. I was wrong about suggesting some Kofous and Swanigan. We wore out Cousins by the half.
Wasn't Cousins basically a non-factor until the second half?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
When Buddy got the ball the play of the game Bagley was WIDE OPEN under the basket. The closest Warrior to Bagley was a "small" who was at least 12 feet from him. So not only did Hield pass up a wide open 3 near the same place where he made the basket previously, he had tunnel vision and didn't see Bagley. If Hield had taken the 3 point shot, Bagley would have at least been there to rebound it if he missed. And then to make matters worse, when Hield did start dribbling into the teeth of the Warriors defense he didn't see a WIDE OPEN Bogs at the 3 point line. Hield didn't make one mistake on that play. He made THREE mistakes. Hield has a lot of work to do on his tunnel vision and on his ball handling (After making a great rebound with his hustle in the last minute of play, he casually dribbled the ball and Durant easily reached in front of him to slap the ball of off Buddie's leg). He's mostly heart and not enough brain. It's going to be an interesting film session after this one. I have no doubt that several Kings' players aren't going to be happy after playing that film back.

When Buddy got the ball the play of the game Bagley was WIDE OPEN under the basket. The closest Warrior to Bagley was a "small" who was at least 12 feet from him. So not only did Hield pass up a wide open 3 near the same place where he made the basket previously, he had tunnel vision and didn't see Bagley. If Hield had taken the 3 point shot, Bagley would have at least been there to rebound it if he missed. And then to make matters worse, when Hield did start dribbling into the teeth of the Warriors defense he didn't see a WIDE OPEN Bogs at the 3 point line. Hield didn't make one mistake on that play. He made THREE mistakes. Hield has a lot of work to do on his tunnel vision and on his ball handling (After making a great rebound with his hustle in the last minute of play, he casually dribbled the ball and Durant easily reached in front of him to slap the ball of off Buddie's leg). He's mostly heart and not enough brain. It's going to be an interesting film session after this one. I have no doubt that several Kings' players aren't going to be happy after playing that film back.
I agree with all of this, although I don't think it's as big of a sin that he didn't put up the initial 3 as everyone else. Yes, he was open, and he hit a similar shot earlier, but he was damn near half court. Open or not, you should be able to get a better look than that with 6 seconds left. The sin was the tunnel vision and then for some reason going for the two which is inexplicable. Should have hit Bogi for a clean look at a three and I would have been OK with the execution win or lose.

He made the wrong play, it happens. He does need to work on his vision and passing. Its a tough break for him given whatever the hell transpired with Dave also happened minutes prior. The hardest part is you cant necessarily teach 'vision,' buddy just has to be more aware of the options out there and Dave needs to put the balls in the hands of those who can execute a final play.

We had time, the ball by design, didnt necessarily need to go to Buddy to facilitate breaking down the offense and finding the right man. If that was the play then coach failed us.

Hield himself admits he should have pulled the trigger initially so take that as what you will - post game comments.

Id say that was the plan, Dave drew it up so Buddy would get the ball and have the last shot. Hield balked when he had space initially and then paniced into driving into the lane failing to see the open Bogi. It is what it is. He had the hot hand and Dave empowered him to take us home. It didnt work out.

If Dave truely had it out for Buddy, he wouldnt have put the ball in his hands for the final play. There is a strong possibility Dave was not berating Buddy for his shot selection or that it was a side note with the primary conversation being the fouls buddy had given up.

This is just my hypothesis, take it for what you will.

Last edited:
It's hard to guess what the thought process was for that last play. If the goal was to simply get any score, then Barnes missed Marvin wide open under the basket during the inbounds play. If the goal was to have Buddy hit a 3 to win the game, an iso with 6 seconds is not the most effective way with him. Give the man a screen or 2 and let him shoot off of that.

Hield sat in his locker stall long after media members walked away. He had his phone out watching the replay again and again, feeling worse about the decision with every view. - NBCSports

These last 2 losses are "feel-good" losses, but losses nonetheless. Kings needed the split for playoff considerations. The Warriors games seem to be carbon copies of one another - Kings allow a spurt at the end of the game to sink them. The Warriors even gift-wrapped the win-opportunity in this particular game with the FT misses..

Hield sat in his locker stall long after media members walked away. He had his phone out watching the replay again and again, feeling worse about the decision with every view. - NBCSports
Hield has more than earned his share of mistakes, with his solid play over the year. Kings would have 7 or 8 additional .losses at least without his production over the year.

OUCH!!!! Buddy didn't take a wide open shot. Bagley cut to the basket and was wide open but Barnes didn't see him. Bogie was wide open when Buddy drove. We lost the game 3 times in 1 play. :(:confused:
I mentioned this last night. Barnes already committed the pass to Buddy just as MB3 started to flash open. He wasn’t open when Barnes saw Buddy then turned his way.

Remember, the KINGS didn’t have anymore timeouts remaining so Barnes couldn’t risk not getting the ball in. Buddy came open and in view first. HB can’t be faulted for that. Besides, even if they hit that play, GSW still would have had the last shot to win it.

I was at the game it’s crazy seeing how good KD is in person he’s literally a walking bucket. We could’ve came out with the win if bogdan played a little better but other than that good game

Aye. The Warriors D broke down even more than I remembered. Kings blew it.
We were sort of in no man's land in terms of time remaining. Barnes sees Bagley for the quick two. Warriors win at the Buzzer. Buddy pulls the trigger on that deep 3, still plenty of time left for the greatest shooting team of all time to break our hearts again... At the end of the day, Fox is our point guard and you've simply got to get the ball into him and let him create.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
These last 2 losses are "feel-good" losses, but losses nonetheless. Kings needed the split for playoff considerations. The Warriors games seem to be carbon copies of one another - Kings allow a spurt at the end of the game to sink them. The Warriors even gift-wrapped the win-opportunity in this particular game with the FT misses..
I would say there is nothing "feel-good" about these. They suck and they sting.

The hope is that that suck and sting is still there 2-3 years from now when these losses become wins that translate to home court, not an 8-seed.

If Buddy makes that 3 the warriors would have had about 3 seconds left at the most. If it went in we just maybe win the game. If he missed that 3 then we still would have had a shot at a tie with a put back or tip in if the ball bounced right.
I would think most teams would of loved to have the chance for a win with their best shooter taking that shot.

Yeah it doesn’t matter anymore but this is basically the same team we will have next year. We will be better prepared with more experience next season but I gotta think it would do wonders for our players to make the playoffs this year.

I would say there is nothing "feel-good" about these. They suck and they sting.

The hope is that that suck and sting is still there 2-3 years from now when these losses become wins that translate to home court, not an 8-seed.

Feel-good in this case refers to being 2 baskets from beating the 3rd and 4th ranked teams by league standing. They need to push for 8th seed to get the experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.