Grant Napear made a rare prediction.

playmaker0017 said:
Name one team that trades big for small?

Name one team with a real all-star PF (that is hands down better than Shareef) that would trade for Peja and Thomas?
Didn't we trade Richmond for C-Webb although Thorpe was a throw in Richmond was the primary player they wanted.

C

Coach

The Celtics traded Rick Robey for Dennis Johnson.
The Bulls traded Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen.
The Lakers traded Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant.
The Kings traded Corliss Williamson for Doug Christie.
The Suns traded Ed Pinkney for Eddie Johnson.

There have been a lot of trades where the smaller man turned out to be far, far better than the big man.

Also, the Pistons, the Patriots, and the White Sox have all recently demonstrated that it is not necessary to win with a small group of superstars. A team can also dominate with unselfishness and teamwork. Anyone who tells you otherwise doesn't know what he is talking about.

P

playmaker0017

Coach said:
The Celtics traded Rick Robey for Dennis Johnson.
The Bulls traded Olden Polynice for Scottie Pippen.
The Lakers traded Vlade Divac for Kobe Bryant.
The Kings traded Corliss Williamson for Doug Christie.
The Suns traded Ed Pinkney for Eddie Johnson.

There have been a lot of trades where the smaller man turned out to be far, far better than the big man.
The caveat was where the player would be better than Shareef.

You trade Peja for ... ________.

I guess my point was that it's tough to get a good trade big for small ... and it's even tougher to get a big that's better than Reef for Peja.

They're gonna get Nene and Watson for Peja in a three team deal with Denver and Indiana.

Kings avoid sending Peja west.
Pacers avoid sending Artest east.
Kings avoid gambling on Artest and satisfy the fan's thirst for Peja's blood.
Kings get the backup PG they want in Watson.

I've decided to do it. Anybody have Geoff's number handy?

Francisco d'Anconia said:
They're gonna get Nene and Watson for Peja in a three team deal with Denver and Indiana.

Kings avoid sending Peja west.
Pacers avoid sending Artest east.
Kings avoid gambling on Artest and satisfy the fan's thirst for Peja's blood.
Kings get the backup PG they want in Watson.

I've decided to do it. Anybody have Geoff's number handy?
I'm fairly certain that's what is in the works...but who knows...

playmaker0017 said:
The caveat was where the player would be better than Shareef.

You trade Peja for ... ________.

I guess my point was that it's tough to get a good trade big for small ... and it's even tougher to get a big that's better than Reef for Peja.
It's pretty easy to get someone better than Peja. Peja is weak in the one place you can't help with a gym, or conditioning. His mind. He's mentally weak.

At his age, which is somewhere around my age *I'm 28* he is who he is. It's not changing. The Denver, Indiana trade is probably what is in the works, but I wouldn't Mind that Peja for Luol Deng and someone else on the bulls that was mentioned a while back.

That was my question Doc. Especially with all the injuries, we need help now, not just next season. There is also the concern that when Nene does come back, he may not even the same. Isn't he out because of a knee injury. didn't we trade away a player last season because we were unsure about his ability to come back because of a bum knee? I do not know that I would really like this trade. I believe that we will trade Peja, but I am not sold on this.

On a side note - wasn't KHTK going to be online by December?

DocHolliday said:
Thinking it through a little further, isn't Nene out for the rest of the year?? Why would we trade for someone who can't play right now?
Because it seems we can get along fine without Peja, we get our backup PG, we are not in realistic hopes for anything other than a very low seed in the playoffs (if any), and next year we have an athletic big man waiting. I'm in.

chelle said:
That was my question Doc. Especially with all the injuries, we need help now, not just next season.
We can't be thinking in terms of instant gratification. Realistically, this team isn't going anywhere this season. Nene is young and talented and has a fairly run-of-the-mill knee injury. Considering how Peja has been playing for us lately, it's a good move to make.

Yeah, but he's having a knee reconstruction. How could you go after a player and you're not even sure how he's going to be after the knee is reconstructed. That's a bigger gamble than trading Peja straight up for Artest in my opinion.

playmaker0017 said:
I disagree.

You want some superior players, but for the most part a team that's evenly talented and good will beat a team that's got no talent around a few players.

Houston and Sacramento are proof.

Look at Dallas. They've got a prime player, but their bench could start and they'd barely miss a step. Heck, their bench could start for most teams.

Look at all the top teams. They all have a derth of talent from top to bottom.

Perhaps I just misunderstood?
Talent like we had 5 years ago....

When we brought Pollard in he was just sitting on his ***. We really don't need talent that can "start" for teams. We need guys that can play a role, and understand that role. Not guys that are trying to bring starting stats to a losing cause off the bench.

The Pistons bench isn't deep/good.

The Spurs? Indeed. Pacers? Yes. Mavs? Yes. Heat? Yep. Cavs? Yeah. Nuggets? Yup. Bulls? Yeah. Bucks? Yeah. Grizz? Indeed.

And some more. ;)

Last edited:
We need to get a GOOD player that is vocal, and tell the guy "This is your team. You are the #1 option." and maybe keep one other player that listens well who is willing to support this... Maybe Bibby? And go from there. Bring in players that compliment their style and let them loose.

D-Mass said:
We can't be thinking in terms of instant gratification. Realistically, this team isn't going anywhere this season. Nene is young and talented and has a fairly run-of-the-mill knee injury. Considering how Peja has been playing for us lately, it's a good move to make.
It is not about instant gratification. While I agree the future is the most important goal for us, we cannot neglect the present. I firmly believe that it is NEVER right to entirely scap a season. If that were the case - why even show up to play or watch. It is about getting better NOW AND IN THE FUTURE. With Nene, until we know how he is going to respond to his knee surgery, he is an unknown. I do not know if I could take that risk. Of course, that is why they pay Petrie and not me.

On the other topic being discussed here:
I think that if you do not have a "superstar player" you need an above average bench. Right now, we do not ave either. I do not care which one we try to improve first as long as it is done soon and both eventually get addressed.

I think Reef has been in the league long enough to prove that he is neither a superstar or a leader, on the court. Now, he's extremely bright and fairly charismatic, so the sky's the limit off the court. He could be mayor of Atlanta or San Francisco in 10 years.

If we trade Peja for Nene/Watson, then Petrie is officially tanking the season in order to draft Morrison. I don't know how I feel about that. I love Nene, so why not? There is the injury, and we will have to resign him this summer w/out really knowing how the knee has recovered, but Nene is a phenomenal prospect. A Chris Webber clone really.

The Morrison thing bothers me, and we would be drafting Morrison, even at #1. It makes me think that Petrie has to project himself onto the court, be it in the guise of Peja or Adam. Morrison/Nene/Miller is a really talented front line though. I guess I would just rather see a tougher front line as well. But, I suppose you could do worse than a defense anchored by Nene and Bonzi. Morrison gets after it a little bit. He's no Bird, but he's not Peja either. Bring in the greyhounds, Martin and Garcia, off the bench with Watson. That's a pretty good team. Still no big man depth, but maybe Petrie can pry a first rounder out of Indiana.

Venom said:
If we trade Peja for Nene/Watson, then Petrie is officially tanking the season in order to draft Morrison.
Do you really think we'll be that much worse than we are now? Even without Nene for a year, we get a good backup PG (which we desperately need), we start the kids for now (right now I'll take Cisco over Peja any day...simply for hustle and rebounding), and we'll get Reef and Bonzi back later on. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I would never support tanking a season...I don't think this potential deal does that AT ALL.

chelle said:
It is not about instant gratification. While I agree the future is the most important goal for us, we cannot neglect the present. I firmly believe that it is NEVER right to entirely scap a season.
^see my above post. ;)

Nene's knee isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be, if I remember correctly he only tore his ACL. My step cousin did it(he's 17, 5'11'', can dunk pretty well even now) and now he's fine and he can still play basketball well too. Nene's a professional athlete who is going to have the best doctor's money can buy. Anyways, I'm fine with this if we can get a little bit more out of these guys. I'd love to see if we could package peja and reef for a leader like pierce or something though.

Venom said:
I think Reef has been in the league long enough to prove that he is neither a superstar or a leader, on the court. Now, he's extremely bright and fairly charismatic, so the sky's the limit off the court. He could be mayor of Atlanta or San Francisco in 10 years.

If we trade Peja for Nene/Watson, then Petrie is officially tanking the season in order to draft Morrison. I don't know how I feel about that. I love Nene, so why not? There is the injury, and we will have to resign him this summer w/out really knowing how the knee has recovered, but Nene is a phenomenal prospect. A Chris Webber clone really.

The Morrison thing bothers me, and we would be drafting Morrison, even at #1. It makes me think that Petrie has to project himself onto the court, be it in the guise of Peja or Adam. Morrison/Nene/Miller is a really talented front line though. I guess I would just rather see a tougher front line as well. But, I suppose you could do worse than a defense anchored by Nene and Bonzi. Morrison gets after it a little bit. He's no Bird, but he's not Peja either. Bring in the greyhounds, Martin and Garcia, off the bench with Watson. That's a pretty good team. Still no big man depth, but maybe Petrie can pry a first rounder out of Indiana.
Morrison will be a SF in the NBA, so I don't think we draft him. We'll be drafting a big/PF or C or combo big man.

Also, it was reported a couple weeks back, that Nene is ahead of schedule in recovery. I'll see if I can find the link later.

Get off the "Jump To Conclusions Mat" with respect to Morrison. He's a nice college player who has a bright NBA future ahead of him, but that's it. Aside, to think that he's going to be a King next year is a bit of a reach right now anyways. Nene has more upside to him than almost any other young PF in the game right now. These days, torn ACL's and MCL's are not what they used to be. Players routinely come back from these injuries without any problems at all. Comparing Nene's injury to Webber's knee injury is like comparing Bonzi's groin pull to Nomar Garciaparra's groin injury last year (ouch!!!). Nene is going to be fine and because of his injury he's going to come relatively cheap this summer for somenoe of his talents. Pull the trigger on the Watson/Nene deal.

Kings113 said:
Morrison will be a SF in the NBA, so I don't think we draft him. We'll be drafting a big/PF or C or combo big man.
Not if Peja's gone. I agree, we should go for a PF, like Sheldon Williams. I am very enamored with Williams. Less so with Morrison. Man, I would love to see Nene and Williams policing the paint.

Also, I take back the "tanking the season" comment. There really is no season to tank. No matter what happens via trade, this team will be in the lottery. And I'm fine with that. Teams go in cycles, and right now we need to rebuild. I just hope that nobody reacts harshly, based on false hopes, by firing Adelman or something like that. If Petrie makes some crafty trades, and we get lucky in the lottery, this team will be a serious contender again within 2 years.

I know it was only one game, but last night we saw what happens when you have a balanced starting lineup. Not everyone on the floor needed to score, and everyone seemed to know their role.

I say we try to see what a Peja/Bonzi/Reef package could net us among superstar big men.

LPKingsFan said:
I know it was only one game, but last night we saw what happens when you have a balanced starting lineup. Not everyone on the floor needed to score, and everyone seemed to know their role.

I say we try to see what a Peja/Bonzi/Reef package could net us among superstar big men.
If you get rid of Bonzi you're crazy.

Kings113 said:

Also, it was reported a couple weeks back, that Nene is ahead of schedule in recovery. I'll see if I can find the link later.
We say that every year but Petrie has made it very clear that he always drafts the most TALENTED player. He never drafts to fill a position.