Clippers @ Kings Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a loss would have helped and hell, I even assume they're going to lose these days, but I still can't root for them to lose and am not-so-secretly glad they won.
I agree with you completely. I was there and it was fun to watch, the players were having fun and enjoying themselves - far more important and good for the team and its players and we fans than where we wind up in the draft. Far more important.

Another thing I worried about the game was whether the Kings and Tyreke would be falling all over themselves building Evans stats. It didn't happen. Tyreke took care of his stats in the most natural and team-friendly manner.

20 millions for Moore, Salmons, Garcia Udrih and other meaningless role players. Other teams have money too. Having money doesn't mean that you will get a good player
And having a higher draft pick doesn't mean you will get a good player. Let's enjoy what good we have right now. Go Kings. I would love it if the Kings win each of their last three. When the season is over and the ping pong balls have fallen then lets have fun with the draft.

piksi

Hall of Famer
And having a higher draft pick doesn't mean you will get a good player. Let's enjoy what good we have right now. Go Kings. I would love it if the Kings win each of their last three. When the season is over and the ping pong balls have fallen then lets have fun with the draft.

Find me a stat that shows how trough history getting #3 pick was worse that getting #10 pick and I will agree with you.

You don't get Evans if you are 5th pick.

Who was the 5 pick last summer ?

Would you love a winning season ? Probably not - huh

Find me a stat that shows how trough history getting #3 pick was worse that getting #10 pick and I will agree with you.

You don't get Evans if you are 5th pick.

Who was the 5 pick last summer ?

Would you love a winning season ? Probably not - huh
I understand where you're coming from, I just don't agree at all. I have no idea who the 5 pick was last summer and I don't care. I'm sure Kings management will improve the team just fine no matter where we draft. Or on the other hand, the Kings management or fate can screw up our draft pick no matter how high or low it is.

And having a higher draft pick doesn't mean you will get a good player.
What it does mean is that the higher the draft pick the more player available for you to draft including the good player. The lower the draft pick the less choice you have and more than likely all the good players taken.

What it does mean is that the higher the draft pick the more player available for you to draft including the good player. The lower the draft pick the less choice you have and more than likely all the good players taken.
I've seen it all as a Kings fan forever and I think I'll stick with my take. Thanks.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Definitely, look at Cavs. They were poisoned with Lebron for purposely losing games. that really, really sucked for them. wouldn't want to be like them now - would we?
The Cavs didn't start winning with LeBron James until they overhauled that whole team. The only player that was both on the 2002-03 team that lost sixty-five games and got them LeBron and the 2005-06 team that won fifty games and got to the conference semis was Zydrunas Ilgauskas... They "tanked" to get LeBron, and then promptly got rid of everybody that helped them do it, from the head coach on down. So it's more than a little disingenuous to imply that those guys weren't poisoned by losing to get to LeBron, because they weren't around for the aftermath of their losing.

Cleveland got their star, and promptly began, at least, attempting to develop a winning attitude and winning team around him. Unless you (using the royal "you") are of the opinion that Evans is not the player that this team should be built around, then I don't think that rooting for losing once you've gotten your star is the way to go. You bring up the Cavaliers, but I can pretty much guarantee you that the Cavs, after actually getting LeBron, did not set about trying to tank to get Dwight Howard. And they don't particularly seem to have suffered for it.

piksi

Hall of Famer
well, we should get rid of most of those guys anyways

If they did and got Howard - they would have had 2 rings by now and many more to come. So far - they have none

Definitely, look at Cavs. They were poisoned with Lebron for purposely losing games. that really, really sucked for them. wouldn't want to be like them now - would we?
Even if that were true, of the 14 players that participated in that season, only 8 returned. That's almost half the roster tossed out. Of those 8, Michael Stewart played 8 games, Ricky Davis 22 games, Dejuan Wagner 44 games, Darius Miles 37 games, Chris Mihm 22 games, Desegana Diop 56 games, Boozer 75 games, Ilgauskas 81 games. So of what few returning players they had, half didn't even make it halfway through the season.

On Ricky Davis' last game, they were 6-17. They won 29 more games w/o him and lost 30. That's almost .500 w/o Ricky Davis.

Darius Miles played in 4 more wins with that team after Ricky Davis left meaning he had only participated in 10 wins out of his 44 games. When he left, they were 16-28 (6 wins of which he did not participate). After he left, the Cavs won 19 more games. That's 25 wins w/a Miles-less lineup. There were 45 games w/o Miles in the lineup. They were over .500 w/o Miles.

Losing is toxic and the Cavs had to purge the losers to win again.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There is no question that turnover is needed; that is undisputed. The point (or, at least, my point) was that, once you get a player that you believe you can build a winning team around, you stop actively trying to lose.

And Tyreke will be one of those 3 or 4. Lebron was not one of those returning players on the Cavs. The Cavs didn't risk poisoning Lebron. The Kings shouldn't risk poisoning Tyreke.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Don't remember Pierce being "poisoned" when they tanked to get Garnett and Allen

don't remember Robinson being poisioned when Spurs got Duncan

Don't remember Kobe got poisoned when Lakers got Bynum.

You generally need 2 great players to win it all

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But the Kandi man was a good player!!!;)

In the end it doesn't really matter how many games you lose (see last season), it all comes down to luck and having a guy at the helm of the ship who knows how to steer it.

Don't remember Pierce being "poisoned" when they tanked to get Garnett and Allen

don't remember Robinson being poisioned when Spurs got Duncan

Don't remember Kobe got poisoned when Lakers got Bynum.

You generally need 2 great players to win it all
celtics didnt tank for garnett... they got the short end of the stick in the lottery and traded away alot of young players for garnett. initially, garnett didnt even want to go to the celts until ray allen went there.

robinson was hurt when they got tim.

kobe was actually asking to be traded during the losing period.

sooo, i dont really think those three samples you provided dont really fall under what your talking about. but, thats just my opinion.

piksi

Hall of Famer
celtics didnt tank for garnett... they got the short end of the stick in the lottery and traded away alot of young players for garnett. initially, garnett didnt even want to go to the celts until ray allen went there.

robinson was hurt when they got tim.

kobe was actually asking to be traded during the losing period.

sooo, i dont really think those three samples you provided dont really fall under what your talking about. but, thats just my opinion.
Celtics tanked. They send Pierce home for the last couple months of the season. They might not planed it that way but they tanked on purpose and won the ring

Robinson was hurt and then "don''t rush back, take your time, start fresh next season." Just like Wade couple years ago and many others.

Kobe has asked to be traded so many times - I lost the count.

Well luck does play a big role, but why cut your chances short?

I'm not telling the team to tank but as a fan I really don't want them to win if it can improve our chances in the lottery. Expecially when winning doesn't get you anywhere.

GP is good with the draft and allowing him to have MORE OPTION would give us MORE CHANCE of landing another start-->superstar player.

I'm not telling the team to tank but as a fan I really don't want them to win if it can improve our chances in the lottery. Expecially when winning doesn't get you anywhere.

GP is good with the draft and allowing him to have MORE OPTION would give us MORE CHANCE of landing another start-->superstar player.
I dont really see us winning any of the 3 remaining games anyway, so I'm not REAL worried about that...I just want us to show up for the LA game and at least punch one of their players, or coaches...or fans, for all I care. I'm pulling for us to be competitive, and pulling for Reke's ROY.

I differ. Winning gets you everywhere. Without it you lose. I don't believe in artful losing. If I did I don't think I could also be a Kings fan. So, root for a lose all you want but you won't get any sympathy from me.

which is okay

However I would like to know what the difference that one win makes ? Name one positive thing that will come out of it.

We have lost 212 games in the last 4 seasons. The one win over Clippers few years ago has cost us who know how many more and how many more to come. Last night's "win" could have the same effect.

What do you really want as fan ? Do you want to win single games year after year or do you want to be good again because both don't come together. Sacramento doesn't get good FAs because it is a small market and now because it has losing mentality again. And the vicious circle is full in motion here and it needs to be broken fast.

a 24 team win beat 27 team win - yay, woooooooooooootttttttttt

no one mentioned that game last night. On ESPN/NBA I had to work hard to find something about it this morning. We are oblivious, meaningless NOTHING in the NBA right now. And we are not helping ourselves winning these games. Moreover we are hurting ourselves big time with this.

Maybe, you are right. Maybe, we should be happy about beating clippers and should look forward to the next 30-52 season and 12th pick and then 35-47 season and 14th pick and then 42-42 season and 15th pick. By that time Evans will play somwhere else because he will be sick and tired of losing. Then we go back to 20-62 and so on and so on.
kings fans are not realistic. they need to be reminded of the great musselman era. LMAO! yes, lets win these pathetic meaningless games that will propel us towards the playoffs. wake up kings fans! 1 win = huge draft position movement with everybody jockeying for a higher position.

i guess we get that feel good pat on the back at the end of the season for this win. :rolleyes:

There's still the lottery which could put the Kings at #1 even if they won 35 games. And playing to lose is never good even for a game because it develops bad character habits. The Clippers are bad--particularly right now. It would have taken a special kind of effort to have lost to them at home which I don't think anyone paying $10 wants to see. Reke would have needed to have scored about 7 points which would have been disasterous.

And even if the Kings don't win the lottery, there's still draft day. Deron Williams was taken before CP3. Darco, Oden, Minnesota picking 2 point guards in a row to allow Golden State to get Curry. Someone will screw up and someone will be able to capitalize on a better player. Cousins might be a top 3 player but could still fall to 6.

It's not worth getting upset about considering the odds that things will work out anyway, especially when the price to get there is to be a loser. That being said, I hope the rest of the lottery teams continue to win as well.
LMAO, yeah just wait til they have blake griffin and another top lottery pick next season. that my friend there is strategizing for the next season

K

Kingsguy881

I differ. Winning gets you everywhere. Without it you lose. I don't believe in artful losing. If I did I don't think I could also be a Kings fan. So, root for a lose all you want but you won't get any sympathy from me.
I think the point that you keep missing is we want to see the Kings be competitive but we also have an eye on the future. We are not actively rooting for the team to lose, but if they do we are ok with it because there is a bigger picture than winning games Musselman-style (ie.. screw up your draft positioning and further mire your team in rebuild mode).

Indeed there will be a turnover going into next season, I only see Reke, Casspi, Mandry, Greene and MAYBE Beno, as gaurenteed to return next year...everyone else is probably expendable. So we'll see what we end up with come July when the open market for FA's happens.

I think the point that you keep missing is we want to see the Kings be competitive but we also have an eye on the future. We are not actively rooting for the team to lose, but if they do we are ok with it because there is a bigger picture than winning games Musselman-style (ie.. screw up your draft positioning and further mire your team in rebuild mode).
I not missing your point. If the game is over and the Kings have lost, like could be possible, even likely, on Saturday night with the Mavs, I'm OK with that. But you won't find me giving any encouragement to those on here "that pray to the gods" and hope for a loss and moan after a win. Keep trying hard to win and let the chips fall where they may. And whether we're bettin' on your system or my system to help us next year, good luck either way.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Indeed there will be a turnover going into next season, I only see Reke, Casspi, Mandry, Greene and MAYBE Beno, as gaurenteed to return next year...everyone else is probably expendable. So we'll see what we end up with come July when the open market for FA's happens.
I'd probably include JT in that list as well.

We'll most likely be stuck with Noce by virtue of his contract.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Losses, all losses help. But the difference is that this year wins help too. Winning tow years ago was just stupid. Winning last year was just stupid. Anybody who wanted it to happen just didn't get it. But this year there is a huge change -- many of the foundational blocks of the futrue team are here. So yeah, losing still helps gvine where we are, an involved in a huge pack of teams with near identical records it would be fundamentally stupid to end up as the one with one more win. I mean whooppee. But now if you do win, it means something in a way it did not last year. It goes in Reke's tally, maybe Omri and Donte's maybe even JT or Hawes's. It keep s morale up amongst key guys for the future, it helps keep us looking like a team for the future, it might being in a few more ticket hoolders, it helps the general vibe. Not so much as nabbing a top 3 pick and adding another huge stud to the lineup mind you. But wins aren't he pure negative they were a year ago.

That said, I'm all for 0-3 now. I'm convinced this is the last high lottery chance we are going to have for a very long time. So let's do it right and see if we can't be worrying about what it wil take to get a #8 seed next year ratehr than a #1 pick.

That said, I'm all for 0-3 now. I'm convinced this is the last high lottery chance we are going to have for a very long time. So let's do it right and see if we can't be worrying about what it wil take to get a #8 seed next year ratehr than a #1 pick.
Now co-signed. I can't wait for the lottery! i may attend the Rockets game though, so I want it to be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.