Can Peja Improve Over Off Season

T

thesanityannex

just wondering if people think peja can improve his defense over the off season, and if not, is he worth keeping? can he become a tougher player as well and take the ball to the hoop more often?

I don't know about improving his defense. He can develope more of a low post game with just a move or 2, like a short fadaway shot over small SF.

Can he become a tougher player? We'll in my opinion no. He is what he is.

Any player that has the drive to improve will and can. He just has to commit himself to do the work in the offseason. I don't know if he does or not, I don't follow him around town to see. :)

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Which brings me back to the coaching question. What more can Rick Adelman add to their game at this point? I think that's as good a reason as any to think about a new head coach. Maybe someone new could expand their skills in new areas. Just so long as Pete Carril stays.

T

thesanityannex

anyone have peja's cell phone. im gonna talk to him and toughen him up this off season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Can he improve? Obviously. Will he? History suggests not. He's been what he is for basically his entire career, and he's back to playing for the NT this summer I am sure. Guess that beats playing soldier and taking the entire summer off from basketball, but its still likely another season of marginal improvement, if that.

As an aside, his defense? His defense is fine, and the parts of it that aren't fine (help defense) have nothing at all to do with working on it over the summer and everything to do with aggressiveness, heart and toughness. Since I know of no drills for those aspects, assume the defense will stay as it is.

I think he is going to. He seems to have added an off the dribble midranger that he was using sucsessfully vs. the Sonics, so he can continue to work on that to get it to be more constistant. A post up move would be sweet too.

I would really like it if he could work on some of those crazy off the dribble flying sideways 3 pointers that Ray Allen was throwing up against us.

Peja playing for his NT is not a bad thing. When he shows up in Sac he wont be in bad shape except if he gets inj. SCG NT has good program in prep. a lot of running a lot of workout.... better then sitting at home. A lot of inj. come from players not being prep. physically. during the season there's not much time for workout so if he can do it (workout) with some of the best eu. trainers let him. As for his style of play wel not much can be done there. He can try to go to hoop more often but he becoming a mean dunker. NO!

Every year man, this question is asked. and peja doesn't really deliver. Sure more regular season points, but eventually in the playoffs he gets shutdown for 50% of his games

Bricklayer said:
Can he improve? Obviously. Will he? History suggests not. He's been what he is for basically his entire career, and he's back to playing for the NT this summer I am sure. Guess that beats playing soldier and taking the entire summer off from basketball, but its still likely another season of marginal improvement, if that.

As an aside, his defense? His defense is fine, and the parts of it that aren't fine (help defense) have nothing at all to do with working on it over the summer and everything to do with aggressiveness, heart and toughness. Since I know of no drills for those aspects, assume the defense will stay as it is.
In another thread Brick you said Bibby could never become a good defender. When Peja started in the league he didn’t have any "D" to speak of. Peja has worked on that part of his game and is probably (well since we traded DC) one of the better individual defenders on the team. Team defense is another story however.

Any player can improve. Peja has improved since he has been here. Maybe not to the expectations of all the fans and stuff but he has improved. Especially on his Individual D.

IMO he needs to work on creating his own shot and being more aggressive on the boards. Each year he has improved one facet of his game. I don’t at all agree with that notion he hasn’t improved.

This year in the playoffs he put up the best #’s on AVG for the team. Just not in the 4th QTR. The most important time and I think that is what most are upset about. As am I.

Bricklayer

BigWaxer said:
In another thread Brick you said Bibby could never become a good defender. When Peja started in the league he didn’t have any "D" to speak of. Peja has worked on that part of his game and is probably (well since we traded DC) one of the better individual defenders on the team. Team defense is another story however.

Any player can improve. Peja has improved since he has been here. Maybe not to the expectations of all the fans and stuff but he has improved. Especially on his Individual D.

IMO he needs to work on creating his own shot and being more aggressive on the boards. Each year he has improved one facet of his game. I don’t at all agree with that notion he hasn’t improved.

This year in the playoffs he put up the best #’s on AVG for the team. Just not in the 4th QTR. The most important time and I think that is what most are upset about. As am I.
You would be extremely hardpressed to show that alleged improvement through any measurable statistic. Even ignoring for a moment the large step backward his rebounding and shooting took this year. The production, the good and the bad are the same every year. I make this post annually as every year people want to point to some alleged improvement. To seize upon something, anything. Nature of hope perhaps. But there has been little. Not none - like any veteran he's added little tricks and gotten a little saavier over the years. But little -- you would have a very hard time telling a Peja game in '01 from a Peja game in '05 if the uniforms wer blotted out. He's actually been one of the most consistent players in the league. But he's added very little. He topped out maybe about his first year as a starter and its been same ole same ole ever since.

00-01 75gms 38.7min 20.4pts (.470 .400. 856) 5.8rebs 2.2ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 2.0 TO
01-02 71gms 37.3min 21.2pts (.484 .416 .876) 5.3rebs 2.5ast 1.1stl 0.2blk 2.0 TO
02-03 72gms 34.0min 19.2pts (.481 .382 .875) 5.5rebs 2.0ast 1.0stl 0.1blk 1.4 TO
03-04 81gms 40.3min 24.2pts (.480 .433 .927) 6.3rebs 2.1ast 1.3stl 0.2blk 1.9 TO
04-05 66gms 38.4min 20.1pts (.444 .402 .920) 4.3rebs 2.1ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 1.6 TO

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
00-01 75gms 38.7min 20.4pts (.470 .400. 856) 5.8rebs 2.2ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 2.0 TO
01-02 71gms 37.3min 21.2pts (.484 .416 .876) 5.3rebs 2.5ast 1.1stl 0.2blk 2.0 TO
02-03 72gms 34.0min 19.2pts (.481 .382 .875) 5.5rebs 2.0ast 1.0stl 0.1blk 1.4 TO
03-04 81gms 40.3min 24.2pts (.480 .433 .927) 6.3rebs 2.1ast 1.3stl 0.2blk 1.9 TO
04-05 66gms 38.4min 20.1pts (.444 .402 .920) 4.3rebs 2.1ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 1.6 TO
Glenn Robinson type numbers and consistancy

Last edited:
I think that preparations for the NT will not be till the August,so Peja has a lot of time for improving his game.I think European Championship is chance for us to see did he done something good this summer,or he didn't...

Bricklayer

Mad D said:
Glenn Robinson type numbers and consistancy
Peja (ages 23-27):

Glen Rice, same ages (23,24,25,26,27):

90-91 77gms 34.4min 17.4pts (.461 .386. 818) 4.9rebs 2.5ast 1.3stl 0.3blk 2.2 TO
91-92 79gms 38.1min 22.3pts (.469 .391 .836) 5.0rebs 2.3ast 1.1stl 0.4blk 1.8 TO
92-93 82gms 37.6min 19.0pts (.440 .383 .820) 5.2rebs 2.2ast 1.1stl 0.3blk 1.9 TO
93-94 81gms 37.0min 21.1pts (.467 .382 .880) 5.4rebs 2.3ast 1.4stl 0.4blk 1.6 TO
94-95 82gms 36.8min 22.3pts (.475 .410 .855) 4.6rebs 2.3ast 1.4stl 0.2blk 1.9 TO

Look Ma! Its twins! :D

And so if history is any gauge, Peja will be traded this year for the next Alonzo Mourning (Rice was traded after his 27th year for Zo). :eek:

Peja said:
I think that preparations for the NT will not be till the August,so Peja has a lot of time for improving his game.I think European Championship is chance for us to see did he done something good this summer,or he didn't...
Agree to a point.

I do agree that he will be in much better shape when he comes back than he did last year because this time around he will play for the National team and most of us know how demanding and physically tough the preparation of the NT is.

He will need to take some time off to recover properly and just have a bit of a break. He should definetly work on a post move or 2 but I am not sure we can use his NT form to judge if he has added this to his game or not simply because he will be playing in a different system and against inferior opposition.

Don't forget Peja has played as a SG for the NT from time to time and the offence is structured around Peja and your cousin the great Bodiroga. Its either Peja from the perimeter or Dejan in a one on one game where he does that move where he dribbles between his legs goes in for a bit of a spin and lays it in.

Peja's role in the offense on the NT is very different to that he plays with the Kings so I am sure Obradovic wouldn't want Peja posting people up. He would rather Peja hang around the perimeter and shoot over his opponent because he is lot taller than anyone who plays on him ;)

Presumably GP and Adelman discussed Peja adding a post move to his game in this offseason. If he doesn't come through next season, I'd hope that the Kings look to move him before the trade deadline.

If he doesn't do bball at home then how's he supposed to get better? He's too complacent where he is and doesn't seem to have the desire to improve. I'd like him to prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.

loopymitch said:
If he doesn't do bball at home then how's he supposed to get better? He's too complacent where he is and doesn't seem to have the desire to improve. I'd like him to prove me wrong but I'm not holding my breath.
The frustrating thing about Peja, as it was/is with CWebb, is that he has all of the abilities to be a better player than he currently is, but sometimes he doesn't seem to have the head on his shoulders to get there. Both of these guys are in some ways the opposite of a guy like KT, a guy who clearly gets the most out of all of his abilities. You know his limitations up front, and they smack you in the face sometimes, but at least you never have to be frustrated with his effort.

T

thesanityannex

04-05 66gms 38.4min 20.1pts (.444 .402 .920) 4.3rebs 2.1ast 1.2stl 0.2blk 1.6 TO[/QUOTE]

i'll take those numbers from my forward any day. mr consistent. all star role player.

Ryan

I like turtles
My problem with Peja is that he's not selfish enough. He has no problem giving up the ball to someone else, and I'm not too sure that's something he can improve over the summer. Peja does well when he knows his roll and his roll is uncertain with all of the changed we've had.

IMHO, what Peja needs to improve on most is rebounding. My god, he's a 6'8 shooter and he's not getting rebounds? If he watched the way Larry Bird used to get the offensive rebound and then took a few steps back to make a shot, Peja would be lethal.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12851957p-13701516c.html

Kings center Brad Miller spoke about coming back stronger and quicker. Point guard Mike Bibby said he hopes the team establishes more defined roles. Stojakovic said he wants to work on new moves for his offensive game. And Greg Ostertag, who said he might be big but is hardly stupid, said he plans on accepting the option on the final season of his two-year contract. Ostertag is to be paid $4.4 million next season
I hope it is true

I am very sceptical. In fact, I am so sceptical of Pedja being able to add to his game or to reinvent it that I would strongly advise him not to bother with adding new moves to his "repertoir". If I was his coach or adviser I would ask him to work on getting more comfortable in the post and in the traffic, which is basically strength, conditioning and willingness to give up his body for his team/teammates. Here's is why:

1. He will not be able to improve his dribbling. He is 6'9''/6'10''. That's 4-5 extra inches that ball needs to travel compared to an average OG. The only way that he can improve his dribble is by lowering his stance. Whether his back is bad or just inflexible his current stance makes me believe that he cannot do much there. Right now, he's basically just sticking his behind out instead of "crouching" into a stance. As far as dribbling goes, just stick with minimum required: one or two hard slaps of the ball against hardwood to either get position after faking his defender or to take off towards the basket. Please, no more dribbling around.

2. He is physically unable to get the type of lift off on his jumper that would make his turn around jumper deadly. There will be situtations that he will have height advantage and he will be able to turn around and get his shot off but nothing like an athletic SF could. Maybe he could use a weighted-belt in practice to get some more "explosion" to it, but that is just a placibo that boosts your confidence and does not make you Air Pedja.

3. Rebounding: Same as 2. He will not get more rebounds by simply lifting weights or working out. I think that at his age and with his body, more work will result in more strenght and stamina but nothing spectacular like Air Pedja. The only advancements that he can make in this respect is to be a more willing participant on the boards and to work smart. Positioning, boxing out, getting in the way instead of running out of the way. Again, we don't want him to get too agressive and to swarm the ball together with the rest of our front line as that would leave one or more of them out of position defensively _even_ if we make the basket.

4. Assists. I think that Pedja is a good passer as far as technique is required - hitting the hands of your guys with just enough zing. He is our designated inbounder. Now, if he could take advantage of double teams or other defensive movement (like lurking) that his shooting prowess provokes, here is an area where Pedja could make his teammates "better". Having watched him in 1st quarter of Game 5 (quick 3-4 assists, one by splitting double team), I am starting to think that even this aspect of his games can be automatically improved by Pedja being more "into the game". Just one advice here: Don't wait for the elimitation game to wake up and you will do fine. Talk to your guys and more importantly listen.

5. points 1-4 lead me to my real conclusion here: He just needs to be more willing to post up and incorporate post up by recognizing defense and going to the post, not necesserily to finish there but to create mismatches and if nothing else be in a better position to rebound. There is no specific tool that he can work on that would give him the type of advantage that would make him Air Pedja, but by simply being a willing participant he can throw a spanner in the works of his defensive nemesis and help the team.

Practice will help him familiarise himself with the post. I don't expect him to become a post up monster, but by simply being involved in post game he will add some much needed versatility.

Who knows, if he starts liking it he might get really good at it relative to his athletic ability.

On the other hand, if he develops a baby hook and enough strenght to push off...Oh, my! ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
He did something in the last game I haven't seen him do very often. He made an assertive two-handed dunk that looked pretty good.

So next year...Peja, the dunk-monster?

;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
He did something in the last game I haven't seen him do very often. He made an assertive two-handed dunk that looked pretty good.

So next year...Peja, the dunk-monster?

;)

maybe he will challenge Chris Anderson in the dunk competition :eek:

piksi said:
maybe he will challenge Chris Anderson in the dunk competition :eek:
If they invite Chris Anderson to take part again next year, they'd better give the dunk competition it's own night. Those missed attempts took forever.

piksi

Hall of Famer
GoGoGadget said:
If they invite Chris Anderson to take part again next year, they'd better give the dunk competition it's own night. Those missed attempts took forever.
he needs more like a whole weekend