Buddy Hield CANNOT start.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I think I've noticed a big improvement from Buddy in his ball handling since his rookie season. Of course, big improvement doesn't mean he's reached a level of competence.
I've even wondered if Walton's misuse of Buddy last year may have been the result of Vlade wanting Buddy to become the $100 million player he got duped into paying. If so, that doesn't excuse Walton from being a 2nd rate coach. It would just add another layer of complexity in trying to understand why the Kings continue to baffle and underperform.
On the backend of things, paying Buddy what he got wasn't be duped, it was being ahead of the curve. I mean, did you see what bargain basement versions of his type got this summer? Now is it ridiculous in some ways yes, but like with Barnes it is what it is. And those declining deals won't look to shabby in the long run.

It was a blip. The Bubble proved it. When games got real all of Waltons fumbling and stumbling blew up right in his face. Got his GM fired and so far in more than a few of the preseason interviews I've seen has most of the press and players talking as if Gentry is the coach already. This is going to be interesting. Walton is a true underdog this season.
20 game blip with suspicious timing. as far as the bubble is concerned, Buddy did not shoot 32% from the field because Walton put him on the bench. You can see how efficient he was off the bench during the 13-7 stretch. unless that was a blip as well. but either way, Walton's days are numbered, we agree there.

20 game blip with suspicious timing. as far as the bubble is concerned, Buddy did not shoot 32% from the field because Walton put him on the bench. You can see how efficient he was off the bench during the 13-7 stretch. unless that was a blip as well. but either way, Walton's days are numbered, we agree there.
Buddy did have Covid prior to the bubble. I think it surely affectted his play and certainly his prep and conditioning.

But this is not what happened though. Buddy was benched game 45 not after few poor games to start the season. the team was 3-14 I beleive before the benching with Fox and Hield starting. then after the lineup change, the team went 13-7.

Arguing that this was a detrimental move is arguing that somehow the team that was 3-14 since Fox came back was suddenly going to go better than 13-7 in the next 20, but Walton messed it all up by changing the starting lineup.
You're right. I got my seasons mixed up. It was Joerger that benched him after a slow start but now that I think about it, it was more about his defense than offense.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
He let Buddy run the offense. That's what happened with Buddy. Anybody could see that was Walton shooting himself in his own foot regardless of why he chose to do it.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Everyone that I can think of who tested positive for COVID prior to the bubble, struggled.
True, but Buddy struggled most of the year and he even cried for help in December by outwardly calling out for more catch and shoot opportunities. You can't really blame Buddy for any of the misuse.

Buddy did have Covid prior to the bubble. I think it surely affectted his play and certainly his prep and conditioning.
Not just Buddy, I think couple of other players, Barnes I think, also had it. And Holmes was quaranteened for 10 days which all contributed to the poor showing in the bubble as they did not have much time together.

You're right. I got my seasons mixed up. It was Joerger that benched him after a slow start but now that I think about it, it was more about his defense than offense.
Yes, and you might also be remembering Buddy playing a lot with Cojo, but thats because Fox was out and Cojo replaced him in the starting lineup.

He let Buddy run the offense. That's what happened with Buddy. Anybody could see that was Walton shooting himself in his own foot regardless of why he chose to do it.
Buddy did not have the ball in his hands more than either of Fox, Bogdanovic, Cojo when there were there. But at one point we were without both Fox and Bogdanovic. *someone* had to bring the ball up. People also say, Walton designed an offense where Buddy brings the ball up and Cojo is spotted up for the 3. No. Cojo shooting the 3 is what the opposing coaches made happen, not what Walton designed.

I think we tend to forget we were without Fox, Bagley, Holmes for large portions of the season, and without Bogdanovic or with hobbled Bogdanovic for that middle part of the season as well. Not defending Walton, and he is on the way out, but its not ALL his fault.

I want Buddy to start and to play tank commander. Looking forward to him getting benched behind Haliburton in the second half of the year. Do what you do best, Buddy Love. Shoot the Kings outta games, commit 5 turnovers a game, seek and destroy wins!
Sounds like we’d be continuing to normalize a crappy culture. No thanks

Man, you really don’t like Buddy. What did he do to you?
Buddy lost me when he got demoted to the bench, he started playing better as the 6th man, and the Kings started winning. Yet dude was still yapping. That may be a weak signal for others, but it's a neon bright signal for me. Essentially, I like players that place the team's interest before their interest. Especially so, after they've already received a life changing second contract.

Buddy lost me when he got demoted to the bench, he started playing better as the 6th man, and the Kings started winning. Yet dude was still yapping. That may be a weak signal for others, but it's a neon bright signal for me. Essentially, I like players that place the team's interest before their interest. Especially so, after they've already received a life changing second contract.
Buddy wasn't failing as a player. The stats just don't support it. The reports of his demise are vastly exaggerated. Moving Buddy to the 2nd unit says just as much about Bogi and Cojo not being able to generate enough offense to keep the second unit afloat as anything else.

You'll have to find me a quote where Buddy says he's not happy because he didn't start. I can't remember if it was an Athletic article or tweet, but it was said that Buddy was more bothered that he wasn't used at the end of the game when the team needed a big basket, or to make up ground.

Last edited:
Buddy did not have the ball in his hands more than either of Fox, Bogdanovic, Cojo when there were there. But at one point we were without both Fox and Bogdanovic. *someone* had to bring the ball up. People also say, Walton designed an offense where Buddy brings the ball up and Cojo is spotted up for the 3. No. Cojo shooting the 3 is what the opposing coaches made happen, not what Walton designed.

I think we tend to forget we were without Fox, Bagley, Holmes for large portions of the season, and without Bogdanovic or with hobbled Bogdanovic for that middle part of the season as well. Not defending Walton, and he is on the way out, but its not ALL his fault.
It's all part of the same issue. Doing one thing unravels the rest of your set. That's why there was a complete breakdown.

I don't get too worked up over social media posts. IMO most of those posts are silly & flippant remarks. If Buddy is still a King when the games begin we will see what he can do. Hopefully Whiteside and or Kaminsky can set a good pick and get the Kings shooters an open look.

Buddy wasn't failing as a player. The stats just don't support it. The reports of his demise are vastly exaggerated. Moving Buddy to the 2nd unit says just as much about Bogi and Cojo not being able to generate enough offense to keep the second unit afloat as anything else.

You'll have to find me a quote where Buddy says he's not happy because he didn't start. I can't remember if it was an Athletic article or tweet, but it was said that Buddy was more bothered that he wasn't used at the end of the game when the team needed a big basket, or to make up ground.
Here's a quick google search: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...he-is-unhappy-with-role-for-kings/ar-BB17VZMU

As for digging for more, I'm not doing that. Have fun trying to disprove what's readily obvious with Buddy's actions--both obvious and passive-aggressive actions.

Here's a quick google search: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...he-is-unhappy-with-role-for-kings/ar-BB17VZMU

As for digging for more, I'm not doing that. Have fun trying to disprove what's readily obvious with Buddy's actions--both obvious and passive-aggressive actions.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/k...ngs-after-rocky-2019-20-season-has-no-regrets

“I always love competing and it doesn’t matter, that’s not my job,” Hield said when asked if he’d prefer to start. “I don’t control that, the head coach controls that. They brought me here for certain reasons, to play basketball and win basketball games. So whatever they need me for, I’m going to do it and try to compete at the highest level I can.”

That's a direct quote right there that says the "right thing."

Again, I haven't found a quote with him saying he is upset because he wasn't starting. Every NBA player wants to start. However, he is not flat out saying that. His complaints have been surrounding catch and shoot opportunities or wanting to be in the game during crunch time because he thinks he can help. He's not wrong. Everything else is just speculation. Even the social media stuff, where I think he's just trolling fans.

Buddy can and will start. Unless he’s hurt or about to be traded.
The starting backcourt is Fox and Hield. Period.
I understand why Luke doesn’t want to say that. He needs to promote competition. But the real competition is who gets the backup minutes.

Buddy can and will start. Unless he’s hurt or about to be traded.
The starting backcourt is Fox and Hield. Period.
I understand why Luke doesn’t want to say that. He needs to promote competition. But the real competition is who gets the backup minutes.
True, but Walton however isn't good at the internal competition banter. Never has been. He weebles and wobbles and his clear and obvious tendencies to lift his fellow role player over his stars has come back to bite him too often. These players are sketched, he needs to navigate this like the corporate environment Vivek unfortunately fosters. He can't play his cards too heavy because everyone knows the house took some of his chips away. He's the one with his back against the wall here.

True, but Walton however isn't good at the internal competition banter. Never has been. He weebles and wobbles and his clear and obvious tendencies to lift his fellow role player over his stars has come back to bite him too often. These players are sketched, he needs to navigate this like the corporate environment Vivek unfortunately fosters. He can't play his cards too heavy because everyone knows the house took some of his chips away. He's the one with his back against the wall here.
Kings need to deal Cojo as well to force his hand, otherwise that 3 guard line-up some are calling for may just include Cojo.

Kings need to deal Cojo as well to force his hand, otherwise that 3 guard line-up some are calling for may just include Cojo.
I wouldn't hate it if they eased Haliburton in next to Cojo. So he can play some off the ball and not get everything on his plate at once.

But by the time the season ends, if Cojo is on the roster, he should be cheerleading both rookie guards from the bench.

I wouldn't hate it if they eased Haliburton in next to Cojo. So he can play some off the ball and not get everything on his plate at once.

But by the time the season ends, if Cojo is on the roster, he should be cheerleading both rookie guards from the bench.
I also dont think Haliburton will be ready for 15-20 minutes per game. Perhaps he can compensate with his height and length, but mans is quite thin. He also had a tough time in certain scenarios in college, and that difficulty is going to be amplified in the NBA. Still think he'll turn out to be a really good player.