Buddy Hield CANNOT start.

Buddy Hield is the biggest problem and major factor in the Kings team defense. Him not being able to guard anybody open a flood gate of water where team members can't stop it despite having great defensive-mind players. Him allowing his guy to penetrate and attacking and kicking out to open guy is all on him. I think he knew he sucks at defense....that's why he ain't talking much about it. He is self defeat when it comes to defense. When a guy score on him, his demeanor was like whatever...he pretty much got used to it. They can talk all day about how each one need to play better defense or play harder...but if you don't have the DEFENSIVE DNA in you, you just don't have it no matter how much you try or practice. In the game against the Pacers in the final minutes, he let his man received a pass from inbound and even get a foul to score 3pts to tie up the game. That's inexcusable. That's Buddy Hield inability to play defense.

Like I said before, the sad thing is we need him to score points because he's a hell of a shooter. Other than shooting, he isn't much of a factor. I didn't watch much of the Kings game last year but i heard he came off the bench. Well, I think I understand why the coach did that....he's pissed that Buddy doesn't play defense and I (as a fan) watching the game, pissed too...i was like get him out!!

To cover his defensive liability, the Kings need to surround him with more defensive minded players. A roster of FOX, Buddy, Haliburton, Barns and Holmes might work, not with Bagley and Homes in the lineup. But if you put use that lineup, I am sure Bagley's dad will be whining all over the internet again, and that's a problem. You're going to have team chemistry problem. Another player that don't play D is Bjelica....that's why he ain't getting much minutes. In this league, a 2D player is sorely needed and the Kings don't have enough of it.

Last edited:
Not sure how anyone can actually be watching the games this season and conclude that Buddy Hield is the reason (our #1 reason) why our defense sucks

Not sure how anyone can actually be watching the games this season and conclude that Buddy Hield is the reason (our #1 reason) why our defense sucks
Buddy is reason 1A. Bags is reason 1B. The Kings are dead last in team defense. It is because they’re often playing 5 on 3 on defense. To their credit, Buddy tries and Bags has improved. And with Bags, there is still some hope that the light will come on eventually, but Buddy should just focus on offense as a 6 man. Buddy is the worse defending starting two guard in the league.

If the solution to successful defense is to replace Bagley and/or Buddy with any other warm body on the bench, I think that would have worked itself out already. Specifically in the second half when Luke goes away from his starting lineup.

Meanwhile Holmes gets a pass on defense for some reason
Fox, Barnes and Holmes are the best defenders on the team. Haliburton is very good off the bench.
Holmes often has to provide the weak side help because guys like Hield can't stop anyone.
Defense is a team game and you cannot blame one player. Bagley still ranks pretty low in defensive ability.

Meanwhile Holmes gets a pass on defense for some reason
I really don't think Holmes is a player worthy of any finger pointing. He's a backup who has elevated himself to fringe starter due to hard work and hustle. If the defense isn't good enough at the 5, then that's on the GM to find a better player than Holmes and regulate Holmes to backup minutes where he would be well above average against other backups.

Boston needs shooting:

Steve Popper @StevePopper
Celtics 0-8 from 3 in the quarter

Michael Pina @MichaelVPina
we're midway through the third quarter and boston has 39 points.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
Celtics have had two four-plus minute scoring droughts already in the first 30 minutes of this game.

Chavano makes sense because they have perimeter decenders in Brown and Tatum.

Kings out Chavano and Whiteside
Boston out M. Smart, Tristan Thomas, and filler.

Kings get a perimeter defender. Tyrese slides into starting lineup (sooner the better). Walton doesn't play Whiteside anyway, and bringing in Thomas means we can move Holmes to backup center. Kings can waive JJ when they get filer from Boston.

Boston gets a shooter who can hit open shots when teams double Tatum or Brown.
---------

Houstin said the asking price is about 3 second rounders for PJ Tucker, since ours are so valueable 2 should do.

Fox (Hali/Smart)
Hali/Smart
Barnes/PJ Tucker
Bagley/Bjelly
Thomas/Holmes

9-man rotation. Boost to rebounding and addition of two perimeter defenders. Would like to see Woodard get some burn.

Next find a way to rid ourselves of CoJo . . .

Boston needs shooting:

Steve Popper @StevePopper
Celtics 0-8 from 3 in the quarter

Michael Pina @MichaelVPina
we're midway through the third quarter and boston has 39 points.

Brian Robb @BrianTRobb
Celtics have had two four-plus minute scoring droughts already in the first 30 minutes of this game.

Chavano makes sense because they have perimeter decenders in Brown and Tatum.

Kings out Chavano and Whiteside
Boston out M. Smart, Tristan Thomas, and filler.

Kings get a perimeter defender. Tyrese slides into starting lineup (sooner the better). Walton doesn't play Whiteside anyway, and bringing in Thomas means we can move Holmes to backup center. Kings can waive JJ when they get filer from Boston.

Boston gets a shooter who can hit open shots when teams double Tatum or Brown.
---------

Houstin said the asking price is about 3 second rounders for PJ Tucker, since ours are so valueable 2 should do.

Fox (Hali/Smart)
Hali/Smart
Barnes/PJ Tucker
Bagley/Bjelly
Thomas/Holmes

9-man rotation. Boost to rebounding and addition of two perimeter defenders. Would like to see Woodard get some burn.

Next find a way to rid ourselves of CoJo . . .
Tatum wasn't playing. Boston sucked today. I watched the 1H. That NYK defense is top 10 currently. Handsy. Thibs. Tatum, Brown, Pritchard, and Kemba means shooting isn't as big of an issue as you make it.

I don’t even think it’s 5 v 3 as many claim. I just see us not playing good defense in general. We don’t make any teams uncomfortable in anyway. We react to what they give us instead of at least trying to make them uncomfortable.

Chavano has a scorched Earth field goal percentage of 36.7%.

He is 14% lower than a rookie in FG and 3 PT%.

Let's not act like four games atones for all his bad shots, antics, mushroom hat, etc.

Teams go right at him because he is the weakest link. Did you see the whites of Kawhi's eyes? Teams seek him out at go right at him. Wouldn't you?

There used to be a time when the worst defensive player on the floor is rotated farthest from the ball on defense and the defense rotates him even farther as the ball is being passed around. That's a kind of defense system that is coach who plays defense would often pull from his pocket instead of just staying on a zone (cough *Luke Walton).

I'm just getting tired of fans pushing players out when we actually got more quality players now than having the likes of Marcus Thornton, Garrett Temple start at SG. While other teams are stacking their rosters with more stars, Kings fans are in awe of a rookie and immediately wants their 3pt contest winner out the door and probably the next best SG since Mitch Richmond/Dough Christie (because Kevin Martin sucked at defense too).

When we were winning games early this season, Buddy was mostly on catch and shoot mode as teams got a surprise games from Hali who was all over the court than teams would have scouted. Now teams are taking notice of Haliburton teams are letting Buddy do dribble drives and and dribble and spot, which I think is his low percentage shots.

If Walton has some sense of sanity left, he should make adjustment get keep his shooter away from his low percentage shots instead of calling plays where Hali turns into a spot shooter or Fox only doing drive and dish play thru out 4 quarters.

You guys are can blame Buddy all you want, I'm just on the side that there are better ways around this without losing another quality player especially if the coaching staff starts counting the shot selection percentage of each player and find ways to improve on defensive rotations.

There used to be a time when the worst defensive player on the floor is rotated farthest from the ball on defense and the defense rotates him even farther as the ball is being passed around. That's a kind of defense system that is coach who plays defense would often pull from his pocket instead of just staying on a zone (cough *Luke Walton).

I'm just getting tired of fans pushing players out when we actually got more quality players now than having the likes of Marcus Thornton, Garrett Temple start at SG. While other teams are stacking their rosters with more stars, Kings fans are in awe of a rookie and immediately wants their 3pt contest winner out the door and probably the next best SG since Mitch Richmond/Dough Christie (because Kevin Martin sucked at defense too).

When we were winning games early this season, Buddy was mostly on catch and shoot mode as teams got a surprise games from Hali who was all over the court than teams would have scouted. Now teams are taking notice of Haliburton teams are letting Buddy do dribble drives and and dribble and spot, which I think is his low percentage shots.

If Walton has some sense of sanity left, he should make adjustment get keep his shooter away from his low percentage shots instead of calling plays where Hali turns into a spot shooter or Fox only doing drive and dish play thru out 4 quarters.

You guys are can blame Buddy all you want, I'm just on the side that there are better ways around this without losing another quality player especially if the coaching staff starts counting the shot selection percentage of each player and find ways to improve on defensive rotations.
Move Buddy to the bench, let him play the 6 man role. He gets hidden on defense 100% of the time. Problem solved.

The worst defensive player on the floor has been Bagley. Which way are you going to rotate then?

I don’t disagree with your point about loosing Buddy buts let’s be honest hiding two players is a tall task for any coach.