Buddy Hield CANNOT start.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
ideally he gets traded at the trade deadline to a team that's looking to add additional shooting for a Playoff push but if the asking price is too high, then try again in the offseason of 2021

We don’t owe him any favors at this point. If you look at someone like Harrison Barnes who has been a model citizen through the ups and downs if he requested a trade I’d do him a favor by flipping him to a contender if I can. But someone like Buddy who has actively sh****ed on Sac any chance he gets in subs and post game interviews? F it, he can go to the Hornets or the Bulls for all I care for a protected 1st, at this point that’s all it’d take to get him off our team

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If there is no trade before the season Buddy should absolutely not be a starter. His social media antics cannot be rewarded it would send a message that the new regime is soft and gives into role players. Buddy is a sunk cost and should be treated as such.
Right idea wrong rationale. Starting Buddy exposes all of his downside playing him off the bench makes him look like a superstar. If the team plans to keep him you use him or he's most effective if you plan to trade him you want his trade value at maximum. either way starting Buddy is a bad idea.

Basketball is a team game. With exception of a few HOF, an NBA player shines or sucks depending on who the other 4 guys he will be playing the floor with. The best games for Buddy as a Kings was the sprinting backcourt with him and Fox on early season run with Dave. Both players were in top 10 of NBA sprinters that season. Remember this article in Dec of 2018 (https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/22/sa...-fox-fastest-nba-russell-westbrook-john-wall/), Buddy's speed topped the league during that early run and we were winning until injuries came and eventually slower players joined the roster and then totally benching Buddy followed.

With Bogi (our main man at half-court plays) gone, the only way for this team to compete is with speed again, especially with the T.H. pick. So McNair is really getting Buddy a good chance to shine as a starter again. I don't see a Buddy benching at all. That check is gonna get it's worth this season.

Everyone wants to build up buddy’s value to trade him. For what? A draft pick or player that will hopefully be as good as “good” buddy? If he gets to somewhat tradeable status I can understand. If he gets to contract year buddy, then last year was an anomaly/luke is an idiot, and he’s back to normal. Keep him and let him grow with the team.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Basketball is a team game. With exception of a few HOF, an NBA player shines or sucks depending on who the other 4 guys he will be playing the floor with. The best games for Buddy as a Kings was the sprinting backcourt with him and Fox on early season run with Dave. Both players were in top 10 of NBA sprinters that season. Remember this article in Dec of 2018 (https://hoopshype.com/2018/12/22/sa...-fox-fastest-nba-russell-westbrook-john-wall/), Buddy's speed topped the league during that early run and we were winning until injuries came and eventually slower players joined the roster and then totally benching Buddy followed.

With Bogi (our main man at half-court plays) gone, the only way for this team to compete is with speed again, especially with the T.H. pick. So McNair is really getting Buddy a good chance to shine as a starter again. I don't see a Buddy benching at all. That check is gonna get it's worth this season.
Excellent point. And I'd go one step further and add that the most likely scenario where Marvin Bagley justifies his top 5 pick status is on a team that gets out and runs every chance they get. Taking Fox, Hield, and Bagley and forcing them to play flat-footed half court offense is incomprehensible to me. No team in the league can keep up with these guys for 48 minutes. Putting pressure on the defense to contain an athletic big man, an elite shooter, and the fastest ball handler in the league all at once is how we win. As far as I'm concerned, it's the only argument worth listening to for drafting Bagley over Doncic and if we waste another year trying to run some garbage single action iso-heavy offense it will be a tremendous missed opportunity to see what this group of players is actually capable of when set loose.

Play him with Fox instead of with Cojo and leaving him as a primary ball handler and he'll get back to the Buddy that got paid. Luke Walton did him good last season. Luke Walton is an awful basketball coach.
As long as Fox can stay healthy. He missed 33 games last year I beleive, which is one of the reasons Buddy played with Cojo.

Only the Kings would have Buddy handle the ball while bricklayer Cojo spots up for threes. Not sure how that developed. Never really thought about it until now.
How it developed is if not for his time "coaching" a championship Warriors team on autopilot and association with the Lakers, Luke Walton's coaching resume would be arguably worse than most of the terrible coaches we've had in the past 15 years.

If there is no trade before the season Buddy should absolutely not be a starter. His social media antics cannot be rewarded it would send a message that the new regime is soft and gives into role players. Buddy is a sunk cost and should be treated as such.
bruh relax. He is starting until if/when monte decides to trade him

My guess is that the Kings were only getting lowball offers for Buddy with teams thinking they could grab a disgruntled player who was pushed out of the starting lineup at a discount, especially with a new front office in place.

If so, I think the message McNair have Buddy and his agent was that the offense was going to be retooled to play to his strengths and it was in everybody's best interest for Hield to start and put up good numbers. Either it makes him happy to stay in Sacramento or it raises his trade value.

But McNair does have one good GM skill down which is answering questions without really saying anything and keeping his cards close to his vest. Hard to say if he actually sees Buddy as a long term piece or just wants to be patient and get a good deal to move him.

I want Buddy to start and to play tank commander. Looking forward to him getting benched behind Haliburton in the second half of the year. Do what you do best, Buddy Love. Shoot the Kings outta games, commit 5 turnovers a game, seek and destroy wins!