Big Man in free agency

I don't know why there's so many people who want to dump Nocioni...not me, I thinkhe sees the progress Petrie has made in evolving our roster already and probably wants to stick around for awhile now...as far as big men to pick up, Varajao would be nice, but pricey, I'll take Zaza if he's available.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't know why there's so many people who want to dump Nocioni...not me, I thinkhe sees the progress Petrie has made in evolving our roster already and probably wants to stick around for awhile now...as far as big men to pick up, Varajao would be nice, but pricey, I'll take Zaza if he's available.

We've got too many youngsters at his position needing development time. I like Noc. Years ago I advocated getting him for our still pretending to matter teams. But we are just in a different place now, and he represents a big salary sitting in front of a bunch of draft picks that will be wasted if they don't get PT. People like to throw out B.S. about the kids don't have tol play when until they are ready and whatnot, but that's unrealistic. You only have young guys around for a couple of years before their contracts come up -- you have to get them out on the court and see what they can do in order to make intelligent decisions on them. The Gerald Wallace mistake was costly, but at least at the time we had the exccuse that we were playing vets while trying to contend for a title. There is no such excuse now.

If you're serious about the future, either Noc or Cisco, or perhaps Kevin, has to go. Not all of them. In fact probably only 1 of them. But one of them has to be moved for Greene or Casspi to have a window. With all 3 guys in place, that's basically all of your 2/3 rotation minutes.

big season for donte coming up, casspi will push him and whilst cisco and noc are both here i can only really see one of them getting substantial playing time

Bricklayer

I'm with you on this one. As many young guys as we have, we need tough, veteran guts like Noc around to cut their teeth with. We can trade Donte...a Noc/Casspi tandem at SF sounds good to me.

You don't trade your 20 yr old kids until you've got a definitive answer (and 1 yr at age 19-20 is not a definitive answer). Not just to keep an old roleplayer.

how about justin williams.... he last tried to make the rockets and warriors roster last summer...

if he is still playing somewhere, why not give him a chance at summer league to see if he can still block and rebound....

jackie butler is another young big in need of a second chance....

how about justin williams.... he last tried to make the rockets and warriors roster last summer...

if he is still playing somewhere, why not give him a chance at summer league to see if he can still block and rebound....

I liked Justin Williams too, but he looked lost on offense AND a tad out of shape in HOU, so I'd pass for now- especially with plenty out there for next year.

What gets lost in the shuffle about the '10 offseason is how many mid-level/"hidden" guys are available along with LeBron, Kobe etc. In my opinion, that's where Petrie thrives, and exactly the type of move we'd make. That said, I think Pachulia, Gortat or possibly a trade could be great options. One idea I've had is looking at taking on a guy like Dampier from DAL, who faces decreasing minutes and has a big contract that comes off in 2 years.

My trade idea would be Dampier and Shawne Williams for Udrih and KT. Sure, we lose all the money KT escapes next year, but also dodge Udrih and add depth and great size in the frontcourt. Williams is coming off a down year, but played efficiently in IND and gives something in limited minutes, which is what he would get behind JT and (possibly) Brockman, Noc, or Diogu depending where we put him. Just an idea.

I liked Justin Williams too, but he looked lost on offense AND a tad out of shape in HOU, so I'd pass for now- especially with plenty out there for next year.

What gets lost in the shuffle about the '10 offseason is how many mid-level/"hidden" guys are available along with LeBron, Kobe etc. In my opinion, that's where Petrie thrives, and exactly the type of move we'd make. That said, I think Pachulia, Gortat or possibly a trade could be great options. One idea I've had is looking at taking on a guy like Dampier from DAL, who faces decreasing minutes and has a big contract that comes off in 2 years.

My trade idea would be Dampier and Shawne Williams for Udrih and KT. Sure, we lose all the money KT escapes next year, but also dodge Udrih and add depth and great size in the frontcourt. Williams is coming off a down year, but played efficiently in IND and gives something in limited minutes, which is what he would get behind JT and (possibly) Brockman, Noc, or Diogu depending where we put him. Just an idea.

Dampier!? :eek: why not Diop if he's still around?

Dampier!? :eek: why not Diop if he's still around?
I know, I had a hard time typing it. But if you are serious about adding size and snarl to the front court, and serious about Evans at PG, and seriously done with Udrih's inconsistencies and Thomas' bench-warming role, it could be a decent deal. The hardest part for me is losing KT's expiring, but a pick could be gained and Dampier does a lot off the ball that gets outrageously overlooked- just one man's opinion.

Noc for Verejao would be great, although Verejao was pretty important to the Cvas during their playoff run. But it might be appealing to them because Noc could guard Hedo and serve as a backup 4 for them. Interesting idea, and it wouldn't cost the Kings cap space. I like it.
I agree moving Noc for a PF is an option, but the real sleeper fit I see is trading him to PHX for Wallace. Noc and Udrih for Wallace and (possibly) Alondo Tucker? Pipe dream...

...also gives us 2 huge expirings to barter with come JAN/FEB...

L

LWP777

I can't believe the fascination with Justin Williams. The guy is garbage and this is why he can't make an NBA team.

You don't trade your 20 yr old kids until you've got a definitive answer (and 1 yr at age 19-20 is not a definitive answer). Not just to keep an old roleplayer.
I think many of us are way to eager to give up on a YOUNG talented player. I was as dissappointed by his play as anyone, but still couldn't help but see there is talent, size, and athleticism I would be leery of throwing away. I am really looking foward to seeing how much he has worked on his game this off-season. If he comes back a much improved player, then that may say something about his ability and maturity (which seems to be his biggest problem).

I just can't help remembering a couple discussions near the end of last season on the radio where the question was asked: "Who has the potential to be the best out of Hawes, JT, and Donte?" The answers coming from those who watch practices (and one was an assistent coach) was Donte Greene. It really surprised me at the time, because I feel that JT will be the best of the 3.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think many of us are way to eager to give up on a YOUNG talented player. I was as dissappointed by his play as anyone, but still couldn't help but see there is talent, size, and athleticism I would be leery of throwing away. I am really looking foward to seeing how much he has worked on his game this off-season. If he comes back a much improved player, then that may say something about his ability and maturity (which seems to be his biggest problem).

I just can't help remembering a couple discussions near the end of last season on the radio where the question was asked: "Who has the potential to be the best out of Hawes, JT, and Donte?" The answers coming from those who watch practices (and one was an assistent coach) was Donte Greene. It really surprised me at the time, because I feel that JT will be the best of the 3.

Donte put up the same numbers kevin did his rookie season only difference is kevin was 2 or 3 years older.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Donte put up the same numbers kevin did his rookie season only difference is kevin was 2 or 3 years older.
Well I guess at least that bode's well. Donte is a hard read right now. He did practicly nothing to distinguish himself last year. I can't remember one game where there was a point when I said to myself, WOW! that was impressive. Even with Gerald Wallace, he made his presence known whenever he was on the floor.

I'm not saying we should give up on him by any means. But I do think he has to show some improvement this coming year. I still have high hopes for him. By the way, I guess you could say that he distinguished himself with some clever videos.:rolleyes:

The best teams in the league are all able to protect the basket significantly better than the rest of the teams. If youre not going to have a star bigman, then size athleticism and shot blocking become the #1 priority. Chris Anderson and Marcus Camby must be pursued. I say Camby because hes part of the 4-5 logjam in LA.

Gortat would be my first choice. He can play both positions. He would be perfect in a three man rotation. Greene can do his impersonation of a PF from time to time. We'll have to see about Brockman. I've seen him play a lot and I wouldn't count him out on making the team. He's tough and has no quit in him. But he is athleticly limited, and he's not a shot blocker. I do think he'll be able to grab rebounds though, and put bruises on people.
It all depends if the front office thinks that Brockman will remain on this team. If they feel like we have a solid rotation, I don't really see us going after anybody right now...But with Gortat in the mix you'd have a really nice rotation.

Bricklayer

It all depends if the front office thinks that Brockman will remain on this team. If they feel like we have a solid rotation, I don't really see us going after anybody right now...But with Gortat in the mix you'd have a really nice rotation.

Brockman is not a serious consideration at his size -- Geoff specifically mentioned needing to get some more size up front (and gee, is this even the same guys specializing in midgets for half a decade?). Brockman is tough, but he's not size, and we still have a major MAJOR issue in shutting down the middle. I think we were dead last in the league in points in the paint against us last year. We need help. BIG help.

Last edited:
Brockman is nto a seriosu consideration at his size -- Geoff specifically mentioend needing to get some more size up front (and gee, is this even the same guys specilizing in midgets for half a decade?). Brockman is tough, but he's not size, and we still have a major MAJOR issue in shutting down the middle. I think we were dead last in the league in points in the paint against us last year. We need help. BIG help.
Having some form of a defensive plan would be a start. The King's defense seemed to change so much last season, that it often made me wonder if there was a plan or just the players just trying to do something on their own. Obviously, getting a defensive big man would help, but not if there isn't a system in place.

Both Hawes and JT have enough size to at least clog up the middle, but the defensive system has to allow for them to somehow remain close to the basket as much as possible. They were constantly caught on switches last season trying to guard a PG or SG on the perimeter. And when a quick switch back could be made, there was rarely any effort by the King's guards to do so. Beno was one of the biggest offenders at this.

A

AriesMar27

if you want bigmen detroit would be a good place to start, we could trade thomas for kwame and oberto. though we would have to wait until after august 23rd because oberto was just traded. both of them are expiring contracts just like thomas so we lose nothing in the process. that would give us more than enough depth and we can still start hawes and thompson. kwame isnt a threat to take anyones starting spot and is a good defender. oberto played with beno, maybe he will pass him the ball...

I wonder what it would take to get Camby from the Clippers?!

I would think not a lot and he would be a perfect fit for us. Defensive presence, rebounding, shotblocking and he is an expiring contract so it doesn't affect our plans for the salary cap space in 2010.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I wonder what it would take to get Camby from the Clippers?!

I would think not a lot and he would be a perfect fit for us. Defensive presence, rebounding, shotblocking and he is an expiring contract so it doesn't affect our plans for the salary cap space in 2010.
Actually, I think that's the question of the offseason. They've got a logjam up front, and they've got to clear minutes for Griffin. They shouldn't trade Kaman because he's relatively young (27), though they are on the hook for three years and $34M. I don't imagine they even CAN trade Randolph. So Camby, 35 years old and on the last year of his deal could be the odd man out.

The only problem is that Camby is still pretty good, and has a desirable $9.7M ender. So they may actually get some decent trade offers for him. We don't have a lot to offer. We could send Beno at 4 years and $27M which saves them almost $4M this year but then sits on their cap forever. Granted, Dunleavy was after him last year and they don't have a backup point, but I don't know if they're so desperate for Baron insurance to do that.

On our side, it would be ideal. Get out of Beno's contract, get a shot-blocking and rebounding third big man for the rotation, and clear PT for Evans. If only I could convince myself it could happen...

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Wait, back up:

I wouldn't mind snagging Zaza Pachulia, he's only 25 (supposedly) and would be a pretty decent backup center. He kind of got lost in the shuffle in Atlanta.
Pachulia got lost in the shuffle? He's the seventh man in an eight-man rotation. How many Hawks games did you watch last year?

Wait, back up:

Pachulia got lost in the shuffle? He's the seventh man in an eight-man rotation. How many Hawks games did you watch last year?
I was referring more to the fact that he only averaged 19 minutes a game this season (down from 28-31 earlier in his career) because they started playing Horford more at center. He didn't disappear completely, but his role has been diminished the last two years.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We've got too many youngsters at his position needing development time. I like Noc. Years ago I advocated getting him for our still pretending to matter teams. But we are just in a different place now, and he represents a big salary sitting in front of a bunch of draft picks that will be wasted if they don't get PT. People like to throw out B.S. about the kids don't have tol play when until they are ready and whatnot, but that's unrealistic. You only have young guys around for a couple of years before their contracts come up -- you have to get them out on the court and see what they can do in order to make intelligent decisions on them. The Gerald Wallace mistake was costly, but at least at the time we had the exccuse that we were playing vets while trying to contend for a title. There is no such excuse now.

If you're serious about the future, either Noc or Cisco, or perhaps Kevin, has to go. Not all of them. In fact probably only 1 of them. But one of them has to be moved for Greene or Casspi to have a window. With all 3 guys in place, that's basically all of your 2/3 rotation minutes.
I agree about the small forward spot. But if a trade happens, ideally I'd like it to happen at mid year. I'd really like there to be some major competition at the small forward spot during the pre-season and early part of next year. Already, Greene has got to be feeling some heat because of the logjam, and I think that's all to the good.

I don't see Kevin being traded anytime soon because Evans is going to be more of a one than a two. Although, just like with Greene, if Martin thinks that Evans might take some minutes from him because of his lack of defense, it's all to the good.