Big Man in free agency

Entity

Hall of Famer
We definatley need defensive shot blocker to come in for JT and Spence. The only top guy i see out there is Chris Anderson. He fills that role to a T and already knows his role coming in. He knows he isn't a starter and rebounding and shot blocking is his niche. We could offer him a luckrative contract starting at $6 mil (a little to high) if thats what he commands. Denver will probably do everything they can to get him back.

Anybody else have any thoughts on how hard we should pursue the Birdman?

at a little lower level than chris whom brings the same things to the table is Brian Skinner. He could fill the hole as a last resort. Stromile Swift never made the transition but that was his assumed role as well.

This has to be the next thing we need to address. If nothing else they have to have some bodies in there.

There are a couple ways we could go IMO. There are guys that have proven a bit more like Gortat and Anderson out there, but I'm not sure how much we want to spend right now on benchers since we don't know if we have that star yet (I think Tyreke could be but definitely not sure). We could try for a younger, less proven, but cheaper guy like Fesenko, but then you don't really know what you're getting.

Honestly I'm not sure which route would be best at this point. If you could get one of those proven guys on a short contract I would be ok with it. I'm guessing they'll go the cheaper route though based on recent events.

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
Gortat is restricted. I don't mbenga on the FA list anywhere. What about seeing if Sean May can be that guy that pans out 4 years later with his second team? Sheldon is available.

Gortat is restricted. I don't mbenga on the FA list anywhere. What about seeing if Sean May can be that guy that pans out 4 years later with his second team? Sheldon is available.
Mbenga was an ender for Lakers last season, so he should be available in the market and he should be cheap. He only earns less than 1M last season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The other guys are really too old to matter, so Gortat becomes the major target as a FA. But frankly it would be just another example of our passivity if we are done making moves this summer, so maybe something can be accomplished on the trade market.

Entity

Hall of Famer
if we were done we have

Evans/Sergio/Beno
Martin/Garcia
Noc/Greene/Cassipi
JT/KT
Hawes

Going by that 11 players. No way we could be done. They absolutley have to add depth to the PF/C positions. Even if they do get Diogu back you can't go into the season with those 3 plus KT.

I think they really are tired of this crap and want to make as big of a splash this season as they can and that can only happen by getting a big.

yeah Brick I think your dream may actually come true this offseason. I think we finally get that defensive presence down low.

I don't see how we can't

Bricklayer

yeah Brick I think your dream may actually come true this offseason. I think we finally get that defensive presence down low.

I don't see how we can't
Oh I do. Petrie has been a passive "evaluating" half measures schmuck forever now. Everytime we make even the slightest hint of a move toward something, he immediately stops to "evaluate" whether it was enough for the next two years. We never finish anything off. Need toughness? Cool, he did his toughness thing on draft day. Now it could be time to sit back and call it mission accomplished rather than continuing the theme through to its logical conclusion. Times SHOULD be changing, but I ahve said that many times over the years without it being true.

There is also Diogu BTW, which does nothing for us defensively, but hey, we didn't get to be the worst defensive team in the league by focusing on defense.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We need to resign Diogu. He's better than Birdman. Just as tough, strong in the post, good scorer. He's not a shot blocker like the Birdman is from the weak side, but he's a better one on one post defender than Birdman.

I wouldn't mind snagging Zaza Pachulia, he's only 25 (supposedly) and would be a pretty decent backup center. He kind of got lost in the shuffle in Atlanta.

Chris Wilcox also wouldn't be a bad choice.

Last edited:
Gortat would be a good pick up, and from what I’ve heard, Geoff has been interested in him as well. I can see us going after him.

Grab Diogu for one year..

Oh I do. Petrie has been a passive "evaluating" half measures schmuck forever now. Everytime we make even the slightest hint of a move toward something, he immediately stops to "evaluate" whether it was enough for the next two years. We never finish anything off. Need toughness? Cool, he did his toughness thing on draft day. Now it could be time to sit back and call it mission accomplished rather than continuing the theme through to its logical conclusion. Times SHOULD be changing, but I ahve said that many times over the years without it being true.

There is also Diogu BTW, which does nothing for us defensively, but hey, we didn't get to be the worst defensive team in the league by focusing on defense.
Then how about trying to get Camby. Won't he be a free agent by then. He'll be 36-37 by then but he could always rebound and block shots.

Our shotblocking potential lies with Hawes and Thompson. They both have a chance to become decent shotblockers.

I think Diogu has to come back as well. What we need before a roleplaying shotblocker is a legit 20 and 10 guy, or a big that can be a force on offense. Why you ask? Because they hold far more value than a roleplayer like Gortat would. We just need to continue stockpiling talent and hope that one or two of the bigs turn into something great, and one or two of the G/F's turn into something great. Then keep the best out of those guys and build around that. Oh and you can still be a decent defensive team w/o dominant shotblockers, just look at Utah the last couple of years with Boozer and Okur, Thompson and Hawes are freaking Wilt and Deke compared to those guys.

I'd love to add either Gortat or Pachulia, but I'm afriad neither will be cheap. Gortat was showcased well during the playoffs, and Pachulia was already making around $4-5 million last season. Perhaps, however, he'll be one of the many FAs who get less $$ this year than previous seasons, and is definitely worth a look.

Oh and you can still be a decent defensive team w/o dominant shotblockers, just look at Utah the last couple of years with Boozer and Okur, Thompson and Hawes are freaking Wilt and Deke compared to those guys.
Those Utah teams have been good but not great. And don't forget about that lanky shotblocker they have called Kirilenko...

How about this instead of an FA signing

I know this maybe a bit far fetched, but....

Here something Ive just been working out....

Dunleavy actually likes Beno Udrih, and he needs a back up point guard. Also, there is a logjam of Bigmen with the Clippers, especially if they're going to try to start Griffin right away.

So what if:

Real GM
Trade ID #5147352

We Give up Beno, K9, and Donte Greene for Camby, Skinner, Eric Gordon, and Mardy Collins.

The only thing we end up keeping is Eric Gordon, who is a decent guard that can back up Kmart, (because his contract is another 3 yrs.) But we can also substitute Gordon for Ricky Davis who has a 1 year deal left along with the other guys.

Bricklayer

There is no way the Clippers are giving up Eric Gordon.

Its not totally impossible that you could turn Beno and KTs ender into Camby's bigger ender though, and then try to use the Camby deal to swing to a contender or a team trying to clear cap room for the 2010 FAs.

Last edited:
I know this maybe a bit far fetched, but....

Here something Ive just been working out....

Dunleavy actually likes Beno Udrih, and he needs a back up point guard. Also, there is a logjam of Bigmen with the Clippers, especially if they're going to try to start Griffin right away.

So what if:

Real GM
Trade ID #5147352

We Give up Beno, K9, and Donte Greene for Camby, Skinner, Eric Gordon, and Mardy Collins.

The only thing we end up keeping is Eric Gordon, who is a decent guard that can back up Kmart, (because his contract is another 3 yrs.) But we can also substitute Gordon for Ricky Davis who has a 1 year deal left along with the other guys.
Gordon's going to be on par with Martin here in a few years. I think the Clippers know this.

How do you guys feel about Hakim Warrick? I believe he is a free agent. Not exactly the defensive stopper alot of us want but he does give us some needed athleticism.

I think one important point (probably the most important) shall be the amount of money owners are ready to spend.

We won 17 games last year. In the middle of the year, we traded away our most productive (at that time at least) player, along with the veteran big man (even though he was playing very poorly then). Nothing short of someone like Lebron is going to change our fortunes overnight, and it shall probably be good for us to suck another year, and have a shot at Wall.

As of now, we have only our picks in next year's draft, a thin front court, and lot of SFs. We have at least 3 players (Noc, Garcia, Beno), who are making good amount of money, and we might not mind moving Martin along with them, if a good deal comes along.

In short, lot of work needs to be done before we can think of being even respectable, not to talk of playoffs or beyond. In such circumstances, I doubt owners shall be willing to put down mid level kind of money on someone like the birdman, or Gortat (though Magic might want him since they traded away Battie), and I think someone like Boozer can be safely ruled out, even if we had the cap space/dough to spend on him, and he wanted to come here.

We shall need to set our sights lower. Probably someone like Feseneko. Plus trade some of our SFs (Noc or Garcia preferably) for either some prospects/picks along with expirings or to unload some bad contract like Beno. Shall be tough, but this is the approach we need to take.

Bricklayer

How do you guys feel about Hakim Warrick? I believe he is a free agent. Not exactly the defensive stopper alot of us want but he does give us some needed athleticism.

No interest. He is very very small and there is a reason the Grizzlies have been disasters at his position. Very soft. Cisco sized. Can score some, but that is not what we need. We need a big ole defender. We get bullied and run through/over like children out there. We don't just need any ole big guy (if Warrick even qualifies as "big"). We need someone to try to cover up our shtoblocking/rebounding/toughness issues up front. That Warrick cannot do.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Gortat would be a good pick up, and from what I’ve heard, Geoff has been interested in him as well. I can see us going after him.
Gortat would be my first choice. He can play both positions. He would be perfect in a three man rotation. Greene can do his impersonation of a PF from time to time. We'll have to see about Brockman. I've seen him play a lot and I wouldn't count him out on making the team. He's tough and has no quit in him. But he is athleticly limited, and he's not a shot blocker. I do think he'll be able to grab rebounds though, and put bruises on people.

There is no way the Clippers are giving up Eric Gordon.

Its not totally impossible that you could turn Beno and KTs ender into Camby's bigger ender though, and then try to use the Camby deal to swing to a contender or a team trying to clear cap room for the 2010 FAs.
Clips dont have to take KT's ender as we are under the cap, so why would they? Wouldn't that just mean they have to pay more? You figure a better chance on just giving them Beno for Camby. I think they could get more than just Beno, though. Would Beno+2nd get it done?