Big Man in free agency

There is no way the Clippers are giving up Eric Gordon.

Its not totally impossible that you could turn Beno and KTs ender into Camby's bigger ender though, and then try to use the Camby deal to swing to a contender or a team trying to clear cap room for the 2010 FAs.
The problem is that most trade ideas or scenarios involve trading Beno and we can't afford to trade him at this point. He is our best option at PG for now. If you trade Beno then you are playing a rookie combo guard there or an inconsistent Sergio. I think we're stuck with Beno now.

The problem is that most trade ideas or scenarios involve trading Beno and we can't afford to trade him at this point. He is our best option at PG for now. If you trade Beno then you are playing a rookie combo guard there or an inconsistent Sergio. I think we're stuck with Beno now.
You're against an inconsistent Sergio who might be inconsistent due to inconsistent playing time, but want to play HIGHLY inconsistent Beno?

Ship him off, Sergio can hold it down just as badly as Beno did last year.

You're against an inconsistent Sergio who might be inconsistent due to inconsistent playing time, but want to play HIGHLY inconsistent Beno?

Ship him off, Sergio can hold it down just as badly as Beno did last year.
Perhaps I should have said a less experienced Sergio. Beno is inconsistent as well, but has gotten a lot more run in his years. I have liked Sergio, but he hasn't shown me that he's ready to start yet.

edit: I'll put this sort of comment in the Beno trade thread and not continue it here. It was just meant as a possible hinderance to acquiring a big man through trade, but Beno talk doesn't belong here.

how about

Vyacheslav Kravtsov

didnt he go undrafted?

i say work him out during the summerleague and offer him 1mil/year hes going to get significant minutes behind hawes

S

sactownfan

We need to trade Beno for a vet big... End of story... hopefully someone that might be able to increase his trade value if he gets some back up mins.

Entity

Hall of Famer
When was Beno not inconsistent. I think Sergio is better and Evans is way better option at point for us. just my opinion but you keep yours in thinking that Beno is our best option at point. I will happily see you proved wrong along with lots of others.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Of course we can afford to trade him -- enough velied passive stuff about Evans. Evans will run the point, and we have a decent backup in Sergio for a more pure guy. Its no worse a situation than we were in last year WITH Beno, and if Evans works out its considerably better. Wins and losses next year will again not be terribly important -- there will be no playoffs for us, so we are just working on the roster right now. A major part of working on the roster will be finding a way to shed Beno's deal, and his softness.

Yeah, right now I'd rank:

1. Gortat
2. Pachulia
3. Wilcox

Yea I was going to mention ZaZa .. beat me too it =]

I would really prefer trading for a big man than signing one though .. it will be tough to get a decent big without giving him multiple years, and ideal situation would be trading for one with 2-3 years max left on the contract. If Oden were healthy I would be thrilled to try and pry Pryzbilla from the Blazers... maybe Dalembert if we can convince them to take Beno ..

Super cheap option would be Patrick O'Bryant.

Yea I was going to mention ZaZa .. beat me too it =]

I would really prefer trading for a big man than signing one though .. it will be tough to get a decent big without giving him multiple years, and ideal situation would be trading for one with 2-3 years max left on the contract. If Oden were healthy I would be thrilled to try and pry Pryzbilla from the Blazers... maybe Dalembert if we can convince them to take Beno ..

Super cheap option would be Patrick O'Bryant.
I am a bit the same way with this one. I love Gortat''s game and I would love to have him on our roster but the thing is, he won't come cheap. There would be a lot of teams out there that would drop MLE on him. A lot of contenders would do it and if we want to get him we would need to go over that. I am not sure we are at the point where we have to hand out MLE + , long term deals on role players.

As some point we have to realise that we have a lot of young kids on our team and our plan is still to clear out cap space to make a run at a FA in the 2010 class. I think the idea would have to be to clear out as much cap as we possibly can by trading as many replacable players with long terms deals out for expirings or role players that address our needs.

We need to have enough money to drop a max contract on someone in 2010. Otherwise the rebuild will be a lot longer than it needs to be. Once you get your star and your cornerstone, THEN you go out and pay big money on complementary pieces.

If we already had our franchise player I would be going after Gortat 100 mph but unless we pull off a trade to get that star, I think the best approach would be to save the cap space and fill out the roster with cheap veternas or trade for them. Say trade for someone like Francisco Elson or such or get another big with an expiring deal such as Camby.

In Camby's case we could probably get them off the Clippers for a very reasonable price. Help them get under the luxury tax by taking Camby's contract for the 2nd rounder. We should be under the cap for some $7 million and Camby makes roughly $7.6 million and is an expiring deal.

lol just for the name???

Vyacheslav Kravtsov - i really would want this kid to try out for the kings.. hes got athleticism like kyrylo fesenko he can play our Center.
John Bryant - slow but big.. i wouldnt mind him slugging it on the inside.

Last edited:
I think Pops is a solid rebounder and a great guy coming off the bench. He´d be much cheaper than Gortat and just one year older. He averaged 5.4 rebounds in only 13 minutes per game last year for the Raptors.

And his name is a funny side effect ;):D

Last edited:
Ideally, I'd love to see ZaZa in a kings uniform, talk about going with a theme of toughness. He's not much of a shotblocker but he's a scrapper. I have no idea what he'd cost of how hard ATL will fight to keep him... but if we could pick him up for the same money we'd otherwise be offering Diogu, I'd take Z.

I'd like to see both Bryant and/or Heytvelt on our summer league team with a chance to make the roster.

Definitely think Gortat's value is as high right now as it ever will be. Don't buy high.

Kleiza would be nice - Andersen would be better, but I can't imagine Denver won't be moving mountains to keep him. Maybe this means Kleiza slips through the cracks?

And I hate to bring it up, but if Shelden Williams was willing to come back for a minimal contract, why not? When you look at him as a role player making the league minimum - as opposed to a lottery pick we got in exchange for Mike Bibby - he looks pretty good.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ahhhh, last time I checked, we only won 17 games last year. That was with Beno at the helm, when he was healthy enough to play. How much worse could the team be with either Sergio or Evans at the point. This team needs players that are tough, have heart, and don't make excuses. Beno fails on all three counts as far as I'm concerned. We can always sign Bobby Jackson to a cheap contract for insurance if necessary.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I am a bit the same way with this one. I love Gortat''s game and I would love to have him on our roster but the thing is, he won't come cheap. There would be a lot of teams out there that would drop MLE on him. A lot of contenders would do it and if we want to get him we would need to go over that. I am not sure we are at the point where we have to hand out MLE + , long term deals on role players.

As some point we have to realise that we have a lot of young kids on our team and our plan is still to clear out cap space to make a run at a FA in the 2010 class. I think the idea would have to be to clear out as much cap as we possibly can by trading as many replacable players with long terms deals out for expirings or role players that address our needs.

We need to have enough money to drop a max contract on someone in 2010. Otherwise the rebuild will be a lot longer than it needs to be. Once you get your star and your cornerstone, THEN you go out and pay big money on complementary pieces.

If we already had our franchise player I would be going after Gortat 100 mph but unless we pull off a trade to get that star, I think the best approach would be to save the cap space and fill out the roster with cheap veternas or trade for them. Say trade for someone like Francisco Elson or such or get another big with an expiring deal such as Camby.

In Camby's case we could probably get them off the Clippers for a very reasonable price. Help them get under the luxury tax by taking Camby's contract for the 2nd rounder. We should be under the cap for some $7 million and Camby makes roughly $7.6 million and is an expiring deal.
With Gortat I think it would depend first on what the cost is, and secondly how you would project him for the future of the team. He's only 25 years old, so its not as though his clock is running out. We also have to think realisticly about who we could actually attract here in 2010. I know the players that everyone would want. But is it realistic to believe we could sign one of those players, regardless of the money.

Also, I'm not so sure were still 7 mil under the cap. We just took on Sergio's contract which I believe is close to 2 mil a year. Whereas we didn't trade away any salary its got to affect our cap.

Last edited:
Let's trade Beno Udrih to the Bobcats(in need of extra PG help) for Nazr Mohammed(who they're looking to move). We shed two years off of Beno's deal and fill a need.

Then look to move Nocioni for a veteran PG, maybe a TJ Ford?

Sign a free agent SG/SF type to back-up Martin.

C: Hawes, Mohammed
PF: Thompson, Brockman, Thomas
SF: Garcia, Greene, Casspi
SG: Martin
PG: Evans, Ford, Rodriguez

Ahhhh, last time I checked, we only won 17 games last year. That was with Beno at the helm, when he was healthy enough to play. How much worse could the team be with either Sergio or Evans at the point. This team needs players that are tough, have heart, and don't make excuses. Beno fails on all three counts as far as I'm concerned. We can always sign Bobby Jackson to a cheap contract for insurance if necessary.
O comon, thats being a little harsh on the guy... I'm actually really happy that he was able to at least legitimatize himself as a player by fronting our team (no matter how bad it was). Without us giving him the shot he would still be a third stringer at the end of the bench. I don't see how Beno doesn't have heart or makes excuses.

Gortat would be a decent pick up in the FA but that is the onlyg even worth looking at. He is a young big man that can play some defense. If we can get him cheap then I would not mind grabbing him up. Although, I would rather step in the trading market and grab a big man there.

As people mentioned, Tyson Chandler would be a realistic pick up with KT's ender and possibly Garcia for Tyson + salary fixer.

Gortat would be a decent pick up in the FA but that is the onlyg even worth looking at. He is a young big man that can play some defense. If we can get him cheap then I would not mind grabbing him up. Although, I would rather step in the trading market and grab a big man there.

As people mentioned, Tyson Chandler would be a realistic pick up with KT's ender and possibly Garcia for Tyson + salary fixer.
If Chandler want's to come off the bench... which he won't. I don't want to take away our big men's starting positions.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Chandler want's to come off the bench... which he won't. I don't want to take away our big men's starting positions.

Chandler's good enough at what he does bring that if he beats out one of our young bigs, that's life. And yet he is still limited enough that he would nto be getting 38 min a game. It would be similar to the dynamic if Thabeet had been selected. Solid minutes all around.

Man, a KT for Chandler swap would be almost too good to be true. He would be such an ideal third big and Arco would love his hustle.

What about Anderson Verejao? The Kings have been interested in him before... I think he could be signed and traded from Cleveland possibly. The Cavs have a lot of $$ invested in Shaq and Big Z but still haven't addressed their inability to guard mobile big men like Lewis or Turkoglu. Could we entice them with Nocioni? Andres for Anderson S&T straight up, anyone?

What about Anderson Verejao? The Kings have been interested in him before... I think he could be signed and traded from Cleveland possibly. The Cavs have a lot of $$ invested in Shaq and Big Z but still haven't addressed their inability to guard mobile big men like Lewis or Turkoglu. Could we entice them with Nocioni? Andres for Anderson S&T straight up, anyone?
Noc for Verejao would be great, although Verejao was pretty important to the Cvas during their playoff run. But it might be appealing to them because Noc could guard Hedo and serve as a backup 4 for them. Interesting idea, and it wouldn't cost the Kings cap space. I like it.

Chandler's good enough at what he does bring that if he beats out one of our young bigs, that's life. And yet he is still limited enough that he would nto be getting 38 min a game. It would be similar to the dynamic if Thabeet had been selected. Solid minutes all around.
Chandler would have been ok with Rubio throwing him lobs. He will disappear like in Chicago w/o someone helping him score.

Those Utah teams have been good but not great. And don't forget about that lanky shotblocker they have called Kirilenko...
You mean the one that's a tad bit like another lanky shotblocker? Fransico Garcia. He plays on the wing and isn't the type of shotblocker we're discussing here.

I´d love Pops Mensah Bonsuh :D
Now there's an under the radar guy. If we are trying to beef up the frontline it should be on hopeful potential guys like him. You don't go around dropping $$$ on guys to fill up the 3rd/4th big spot if they don't have the potential to be more than just that, 3rd/4th big off the bench roleplayer. Petrie might do it, but it would be exactly the type of move so many around here have been damning recently.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
O comon, thats being a little harsh on the guy... I'm actually really happy that he was able to at least legitimatize himself as a player by fronting our team (no matter how bad it was). Without us giving him the shot he would still be a third stringer at the end of the bench. I don't see how Beno doesn't have heart or makes excuses.
I wish Beno on ill will. I gave him my full support after he signed. He played well when we first traded for him, so I had no reason to believe he couldn't continue to play at that level. When people first started to critizise him, I tried to come to his defense. Then I heard that he came into the season out of shape. Then he was injured. Then I remembered everything that was said about him prior to his coming here.

I'm sure he's a nice guy. I'd probably love to sit and have a beer with him. There are some politicians I'd like to sit down and have a beer with too, but I'd never vote for them. When he was asked about not getting the ball to another Kings player that was wide open under the basket, and he said, well sometimes I don't see them. He lost me. THAT! Is his job.

To be happy for a guy to legitimize himself is all well and good. But the Kings aren't running a rehap center. He's being paid to do a job, and last year he didn't do it. The fact that he came in with a reputation didn't help his cause. But thats not my fault or the Kings fault. Its his fault. If he shows up at camp this year in great shape, and starts to play the way he was expected to play. Great! It just makes the Kings that much better. And at worst, it will increase his trade value.

One last thing. If he happens to be one of your favorite players, then I understand your feelings. And You have my sympathies. I was a big Peja fan, and it was hard hearing everyone critizise him.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Justin Williams anybody? he was what we ask for a good rebounder, shot blocker, and defender. If he wasn't just SOOOOO lost on offense he would be a nice defensive role player. Any chance Westphal could find a spot for him?