2022 Summer League Open Thread (non-Kings games)

And honestly I’m ok with that, as long as you’re still stepping into the box and swinging for this baseball terminology. EJ Lidell isn’t a home run, but he’s a solid single with an off the bench NBA forward game who is going to kill you anywhere. So far Monte’s 1sts have been good to really good players, obviously there’s still a lot of time left for them to either go up or down from there, but if someone wants to call them singles, HRs or HBPs I don’t care, as long as it impacts the Kings play in a positive manner.
I had high hopes for Monte. Saw the analytics background and thought he would be the Farhan (Zahidi) type of GM. Someone who games the system at every possible turn to acquire talent. Instead, the Kings got the Paul De Podesta type, who takes the one standard deviation option each and every time.

I had high hopes for Monte. Saw the analytics background and thought he would be the Farhan (Zahidi) type of GM. Someone who games the system at every possible turn to acquire talent. Instead, the Kings got the Paul De Podesta type, who takes the one standard deviation option each and every time.
And I get that but dang, your commitment to kill every buzz on here is strong haha.

The Woulda Shoulda Coulda crowd hasnt even mentioned Josh Minott? He's playing great rn for the T'Wolves..

Thats why I kind of just put some of these always negative posters on ignore n never second guess it... Their hindsight is even lacking context.

Excellent showing from Marko Simonovic for the Bulls today! I think a sneaky good performance was from Javonte Freeman-Liberty off the bench from them too, he was so good in college last year n got no publicity for it.

Another sneaky good showing was Lindell Wigginton off the bench for the bucks dropping 17 and 7 dimes

AJ Lawson was lights out for the Mavs! he's another underrated Canadian who basically being very skinny always hurt his stock, but he could always ball.

Blake Wesley and Josh Primo looked very good for the Spurs. You gotta assume the Spurs have some real confidence in these young guards they have trading Murray, and these 2 looked like they are doing all they can to prepare for more minutes/offensive load.

I want to mention Amar Sylla for the Cavs but It'd be foolish not to mention the Spurs played extremely small in the frontcourt which is ideal conditions for him to put up such stats on such effeciency..

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Dude was laying bricks all night but I still remain firmly on the Quentin Grimes train. Had an 8 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and looked comfortable out there, ten misses from three be damned.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
MPJ currently being interviewed on the Nuggets-Wolves game. Dude says he's completely healthy which honestly just feels like he's tempting fate at this point.

Josh Minott though!!!! He looks spectacular!

All the complaints i've seen on this board about the 2nd rd picks, and not a single one mentioning this kid is hilarious, and he's 19 and outperforming so many older players.

As far as Im concerned he was always one of those guys who you'd look at and think (1) "this kid is going to the NBA" (2)"will he actually be more effective in the NBA game than vs amateurs?"

He was also one of the guys where I just didnt believe in his low assist #'s at Memphis (in limited minutes) If you saw this kid play back when he stormed up the rankings you could see he wasnt limited with his passing/didnt have tunnelvision and really was a natural on the break making solid reads.

Its so crazy to me hes out here with twice the FGA's of anyone else on the team. HA! Showing a bit of everything, soft touch on drives, the 3pt shot and he always projected as aplayer with great defensive tools and is explosive. good for him.

See I'll never be one of these people thats rooting for other teams young players to do bad, and for ours to do good, so you can 'justify' your ire towards front office members..Mistakes happen, and they can be fixed.. If you follow these players half as closely as me and have that bitter mindset i pity you. I hope they all do well and ours can do better.

Last edited:
Benne, Duarte and McGowen all looked like the best players on the court, bitter sweet.
And so did our guy in two of his three games so far. So what is your point? I guess you want to draft them all! And how could Mathurin and Duarte both look like the best player on the court? Seems physically impossible...

The Woulda Shoulda Coulda crowd hasnt even mentioned Josh Minott? He's playing great rn for the T'Wolves..

Thats why I kind of just put some of these always negative posters on ignore n never second guess it... Their hindsight is even lacking context.
Being honest here, I wasn’t big on Minott at all haha. Win some ya lose some.

Monte's lack of success and priority with his 2nd round picks is alarming. I don't know if it's a scouting thing, but a poverty franchise like the Kings can't afford to whiff on them.

Friendly reminder... Xavier Tillman and Kenyon Martin Jr were both drafted with Kings' picks in 2020.. they each contributed a whole lot more to their teams than any of Monte's 2nd round picks combined.

And so did our guy in two of his three games so far. So what is your point? I guess you want to draft them all! And how could Mathurin and Duarte both look like the best player on the court? Seems physically impossible...
Pump the brakes man haha. I like Murray and thought he played very well and big time rooting for him. This is in fact a summer league discussion thread, I’m nearly talking about the games and other players and how they look haha. Your insecurity is showing. Also, reading comprehension is important, I said looked like the best players, with an s, on the court.

Monte's lack of success and priority with his 2nd round picks is alarming. I don't know if it's a scouting thing, but a poverty franchise like the Kings can't afford to whiff on them.

Friendly reminder... Xavier Tillman and Kenyon Martin Jr were both drafted with Kings' picks in 2020.. they each contributed a whole lot more to their teams than any of Monte's 2nd round picks combined.
Up until, this season, I've had absolutely 0 problem with how we've dealt with our developmental program. Woodard, Ramsey, King, Metu, Jones, Queta. We'd been taking shots and Monte found 2 pretty good bench guys in Metu/Jones. To say we hadn't "hit" is just being results-oriented with how high variance 2nd rounders are whether they turn out or not.

But not even giving a shot at 37 or 48 if Vezenkov never comes over is very bleh and bad process. It'd be one thing if we still had Ramsey/Woodard/King taking up roster slots, but we cleared them out. Your back-end 13-17 contracts should always be young guys you're developing.

It's good to see the time honored tradition of making far too much of summer league play is still intact.
Haha it’s the only basketball we got, people are gonna get excited about it. I’d hope a majority of everyone knows a summer league performance doesn’t make, break or truly mean anything other than a start to a career. A lot can happen from there.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Up until, this season, I've had absolutely 0 problem with how we've dealt with our developmental program. Woodard, Ramsey, King, Metu, Jones, Queta. We'd been taking shots and Monte found 2 pretty good bench guys in Metu/Jones. To say we hadn't "hit" is just being results-oriented with how high variance 2nd rounders are whether they turn out or not.

But not even giving a shot at 37 or 48 if Vezenkov never comes over is very bleh and bad process. It'd be one thing if we still had Ramsey/Woodard/King taking up roster slots, but we cleared them out. Your back-end 13-17 contracts should always be young guys you're developing.
To be fair, it looks like it will be, just not with guys we picked in the second round this year. Keon and Queta are both solid development pieces. Monte might end up keeping slot 15 on the NBA roster open to maintain flexibility (can take on an extra player in a trade or sign someone mid-season without a corresponding move). I don’t necessarily agree with this approach but I can see it.

Yea, we may not get a good one or maybe another Woodard/Ramsey, but I do mind they are not taking the chance with a fairy good 2nd round position at 37.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member

Jones and Metu were both free agent signings. It's possible that their success and Woodard and Ramsey's lack of success helped motivate the decision to forego using those picks at all this year and instead keep roster spots open in case another Metu or Jones becomes available. So many people are acting like this #37 pick is a big deal, it's not. I think it's been about 15 years in a row that some first round rated prospect is available to us, we pass on them, fans freak out, and then they're forgotten about within a year. Monte seems to prefer taking chances on develepmental prospects who are already in the NBA as minimum contract free agents or trading second round picks at the deadline for role players who fill a need. Both of those avenues seem like they have a higher chance of successfully landing a player who will help the team than the second round of the draft does.

Good to see Marko Simonovic beasting dude has put on weight while maintaining his fluidity, still probably needs to improve his positional defense to be a serious rotation player. Jump shot looks smooth now as well interesting to see what happens with him can't go wrong with that size and a relentless motor MEGA bigs rise up!

Jones and Metu were both free agent signings. It's possible that their success and Woodard and Ramsey's lack of success helped motivate the decision to forego using those picks at all this year and instead keep roster spots open in case another Metu or Jones becomes available. So many people are acting like this #37 pick is a big deal, it's not. I think it's been about 15 years in a row that some first round rated prospect is available to us, we pass on them, fans freak out, and then they're forgotten about within a year. Monte seems to prefer taking chances on develepmental prospects who are already in the NBA as minimum contract free agents or trading second round picks at the deadline for role players who fill a need. Both of those avenues seem like they have a higher chance of successfully landing a player who will help the team than the second round of the draft does.
Monte likes to draft sophomore or junior players. Prefers older developmental prospects. He is very conservative and risk averse. Wants the proven commodity. As long as he is the GM, Kings fans may have to accept that as the path.

This was probably foreseeable as a Morey disciple.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Monte likes to draft sophomore or junior players. Prefers older developmental prospects. He is very conservative and risk averse. Wants the proven commodity. As long as he is the GM, Kings fans may have to accept that as the path.

This was probably foreseeable as a Morey disciple.
Yep. Few people enjoy trading completely out of drafts to acquire older known quantities than Daryl Morey. At least Monte is splitting the difference by drafting slightly older players in the first round and using those second round picks as trade asset pieces for players.