would we resign Chuck Hayes?

That crafty Chuck Hayes just Dalembere'd us into getting an extra million with a "heart condition" that is now mysteriously non existant. Well played sir.
Maybe Hayes gets a little more and maybe not. The Amick quote is approximately $22 mil/4yrs. The original deal was for $21.3 mil.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
I don't think it was Chuck's doctor's, though. I think it was the doctor's the King's sent him to for further treatment/testing.
Ok, if the Kings sent him to the Cleveland Clinic for more testing and the results are already back, then voiding his contract was premature. I guess it was to make a run at Dalembert amid the heart concerns. Either way the front office looks pretty bad and the we're lucky Chuck still wants to sign with us.

I guess sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet
How about this: if Chuck Hayes gets and extra $1 Million Dollars, $103,000 goes for California State income tax and $350,000 goes to Federal income tax. He takes home an estimated $547,000... and there are other taxes he must pay as well...

Ok, if the Kings sent him to the Cleveland Clinic for more testing and the results are already back, then voiding his contract was premature. I guess it was to make a run at Dalembert amid the heart concerns. Either way the front office looks pretty bad and the we're lucky Chuck still wants to sign with us.
Maybe voiding the contract was premature and maybe not. If time limit for voiding was running up against the clock then Kings were right to act. They sent Hayes to top cardiologists at UCDavis Med Center who found the heart problem. Then Kings recommended he go to Cleveland Mayo Clinic for further testing and Hayes was cleared after extensive tests at one of the top medical centers in the world. Seems to me if Hayes is resigned then all is well and no more finger pointing necessary since it looks pretty frivolous as it is.

There had to be some sort of deadline to void the deal, a week maybe? I think there was possible intent on their part if they suggested he go for further testing.

Dalembert. I don't know what to believe right now. The way everything could potentially work out I thinking the Kings may have Dalembert'd the Rockets! Come back with interest so the Rockets had to pull the trigger, heard Hayes may be available pulled their offer, acted as if they never were serious, and then took the main competitor for his services off the market. Petrie....you so bad! :)

How about this: if Chuck Hayes gets and extra $1 Million Dollars, $103,000 goes for California State income tax and $350,000 goes to Federal income tax. He takes home an estimated $547,000... and there are other taxes he must pay as well...
That's enough $ to buy like 3 houses in Sac right now. Then he can turn around and sell them for a huge profit when the market rebounds. Crafty b*stard had this planned out all along.

That's enough $ to buy like 3 houses in Sac right now. Then he can turn around and sell them for a huge profit when the market rebounds. Crafty b*stard had this planned out all along.
Except the Bush tax cuts are scheduled to expire a year from now (12/31/12). If not extended (Obama and Congress did extend them once already) then here's the issue. Captial gains tax on real estate is currently exempt up to $250K for single and $500K for married. Unless extended that will drop to $50K and $100K. Plus, there's so much massive inventory of existing homes it's projected to take minimum of ten years to cycle in any significant way even if economy slowly rebounds. Ok, enough on taxes and real estate - back to B-ball!

resign this guy and give him more money for the cluster**** that this organization created over the last week. My thinking is that the report that the Kings pulled the offer for Dalembert, was because they heard about Chuck being cleared to play. We need a guy like Chuck, on Tuesday David Lee KILLED us, we have no one who can gaurd those skilled 4's. Chuck is that guy. Shotblocking can be alleviated by playing long lineups and good team defense.
Shot blocking is kind of overrated anyways. I saw someone on STR bring up the point that shot-blocks often just lead to the other team rebounding the ball and taking another shot. It's a nice extra to have but losing one blocked shot per game is not going to make or break a team.

Is there anyone here besides me who would have rather had Hayes than Dalembert anyways?

Admittedly I never liked Dalembert’s demeanor or on court decisions much.

But aside from that, let’s just look at the advantages each player has

Dalembert advantages

Taller
Better shotblocker

Hayes advantages

Better passer
Vocal leader
Won’t jack up dumb shots and whine about PT
Younger
Actually wants to be in Sacramento
Seems to be loved by coaches and teammates
Doesn’t want a ridiculous contract

From my perspective, it's Chuck Hayes by a long shot.

Shot blocking is kind of overrated anyways. I saw someone on STR bring up the point that shot-blocks often just lead to the other team rebounding the ball and taking another shot. It's a nice extra to have but losing one blocked shot per game is not going to make or break a team.
What you want is the Bill Russell shot blocker, who controls the tip and gets you possession. But still, most blocks are five feet from the rim, so that's a high percentage shot. If they get the ball back and wind up with a contested jumper, that's not a bad trade-off. You also might get them the ball with just a few seconds on the shot clock.

Then there's the deterrent factor. If you have a shot blocker who gets two or three a game, he's also altering another four or five a game.

I definitely wouldn't argue that shot blocking is overrated. That sounds like something a fan of a team without a good shot blocker would say. :p

Last edited:
What you want is the Bill Russell shot blocker, who controls the tip and gets you possession. But still, most blocks are five feet from the room, so that's a high percentage shot. If they get the ball back and wind up with a contested jumper, that's not a bad trade-off. You also might get them the ball with just a few seconds on the shot clock.

Then there's the deterrent factor. If you have a shot blocker who gets two or three a game, he's also altering another four or five a game.

I definitely wouldn't argue that shot blocking is overrated. That sounds like something a fan of a team without a good shot blocker would say. :p
Overrated doesn't mean it's not important. Just not a important as some seem to make it out to be.

Is there anyone here besides me who would have rather had Hayes than Dalembert anyways?

Admittedly I never liked Dalembert’s demeanor or on court decisions much.

But aside from that, let’s just look at the advantages each player has

Dalembert advantages

Taller
Better shotblocker

Hayes advantages

Better passer
Vocal leader
Won’t jack up dumb shots and whine about PT
Younger
Actually wants to be in Sacramento
Seems to be loved by coaches and teammates
Doesn’t want a ridiculous contract

From my perspective, it's Chuck Hayes by a long shot.
100% agree,

Hes going to improve the team by just being around them, showing them how to act, how to work, how to be mature.. he just brings so many more intangibles to the team that arent stats... He kind of reminds me of Vlade, they have a similar demeanor, Vlade was the father of our old team, and I can see Chuck being the same for this team.

OHHHHHHHHHHH YEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. CHAYES BABY. look ill be the first to admit i wanted sammy, massively wanted sammy even when we initially brought in hayes i was like this is all well and good but getting sammy needs to be priority. After seeing how much of a leader and how much the coaching staff and players rated him im so glad we've got him back.

GP has planned our offense to run through boogie and hayes and that is getting back to kings basketball. Hayes has a huge heart and whilst size wise we might has issues the defensive presence he will bring will make a huge difference.

BACK TO PLAN A OHHH YEAH

while i liked what sam brought to the team, i would rather have a 28 year old who wants to be here, is a vocal leader, than a 31 year old who is essentially a one trick pony, that wants touches in the paint.

Petrie is pretty damned smart still. Good move. Welcome yet again, Chuck. I feel much more comforrtable going into the season now. Hope he can quickly regain the week's practice he missed.

We're paying him even more???

When you have a chance to overpay a 6'6 center and then have a chance to void his contract, you gotta go out and resign him after you know his heart may have problems and overpay him more!

We're paying him even more???

When you have a chance to overpay a 6'6 center and then have a chance to void his contract, you gotta go out and resign him after you know his heart may have problems and overpay him more!
He's been cleared medically. And we're paying him a whole $700k more over the next four years. It's like 3.2% more over the life of the contract.

I'm not thrilled with the Hayes signing to begin with, but if he's been cleared, then this is all to the good. I hope DMC, JT and Hickson are ready to contribute. If we can get a few minutes out of Whiteside, then we have a decent rotation.

I'm going to be honest. I am thrilled we got Chuck back. He's not perfect, and he's not the answer defensively despite what some think. But he can guard PFs very well, which makes things easier for Cousins. And personally, I think that Chuck is a fantastic person. He's a classy guy, very smart and a great leader. He can really help our young guys develop. Just from watching his interviews, he's already one of my favourite players. It may be somewhat irrational, but we're allowed to love a player for reasons other than basketball.

Welcome back Chuck, glad to have you on our team again.

Great news! Signing Chuck Hayes isn't the flashy, hyped signing we were all hoping for, but if he already isn't a fan favorite here then he will be soon. Barring injury or medical condition, I predict there will be at least a few Chuck Hayes appreciation threads opened by February

I wish I could be at the first home game when Chuck is first introduced but I can't attend. I am hoping those of you who do attend add my well earned and deserved applause, scream and standing ovation to your own when Chuck is introduced. He deserves an outrageous reception!!!