Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

True, but those teams also had their wings in place to complete the team. We have our two stud guards and backup guards. We can score. We can’t defend unless we get those pieces in place.
I agree and love defensive teams I just think its easier to find defenders than stars and am of the minority opinion that Sengun can be one. Time will tell

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
True, but those teams also had their wings in place to complete the team. We have our two stud guards and backup guards. We can score. We can’t defend unless we get those pieces in place.
I get what he was saying but wing play was a significant factor in all those teams succeeding. The Bucks won with PJ Tucker playing great defense and Khris Middleton being their star perimeter player. The Suns had Booker as their best player (he’s a wing) and Jae Crowder, Mikal Bridges, and Cam Johnson playing huge roles for them.

Hell, you can pretty much point to bad wing play/ awful wing injury luck for why most of the other teams lost in the postseason.

Moses Moody reminds me a lot of Gary Trent Jr coming out of Duke. They both even have that little weird flick floater mid-range shot. Trent Jr. should've been a 1st round pick, but for those of you who don't remember, we drafted him in the 2018 draft at #37 overall for Portland.

He's not my first choice at 9, but I wouldn't be mad at the pick. I do think he's a lot closer to a SG than he is SF. He's not going to be able to match up to the big wings in the NBA. Using Bogdanovic as a comparison, he's 6'6 220lbs with a 6'11 wingpsan. Moody is 6'6 210lbs at a near 7'1 wingspan.

This is my last comment on Sengun or any prospect until the draft I swear :D

Most Kings fans (and some playoff teams) would love to sign Holmes to a 40 plus million dollar deal. And yet we have trepidation about drafting Sengun who right now is a better scorer, passer, rebounder and gets to the line more. They are both smaller centers who could or do struggle against bigger players. Sengun was second in the league in blocks and has a good steal rate which suggests he has similar energy and effort to Holmes on defense.

Is a better scoring, passing and free throw getting Holmes a reasonable projection for Sengun?
Whiteside's career stats blow Holmes' out of the water and yet he could barely sniff minutes with us, and he has shot-blocking and defensive ability that puts Sengun to shame.

The other problem with Sengun is that his skillset is the least valuable thing in today's NBA.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think the Kings, if they trade 9, will be making it part of a bigger deal which would include getting back later picks while getting a win now wing or big.

I'm cool about the aggressiveness. AND I hope they do end up making a pick in the first round. I've watched more tape on draft prospects this year than I have in a while and it's easy to spot "fool's gold" when you do that. That said, someone under discussion for the #9 will be there into the late-teens; there'll be talent into the second round; and you can't beat the contract costs of those later picks. Hoping the Kings leave draft night w/a couple young guys beyond whomever they might get in trade.

Last edited:
Whiteside's career stats blow Holmes' out of the water and yet he could barely sniff minutes with us, and he has shot-blocking and defensive ability that puts Sengun to shame..
I guess I am not sure what you are trying to say here. I believe Sengun is a better player than Holmes and teams like Dallas (playoff team) Charlotte (playoff aspirations) and the Kings all want him.

I think Sengun's floor is 14 and 9 with plus passing and slightly below average defense. (I think his effort and IQ will make keep him out of the atrocious defense category)

His ceiling for me is 25 11 4 & 2 80 percent from the line and high 30s from 3 with just above average over all defense.

His likely translatable skills: scoring, free throw rate, rebounding, passing and percentage from the line lead me to believe he has a better chance of reaching towards his ceiling than landing on his floor.

With all these reports coming out, it's clear that the Kings just aren't sold on the prospects at #9. Seeing who we've brought in (Moses Moody, Corey Kispert, Jalen Johnson, Keon Jonson, Trey Murphy III, Josh Primo, Ziarie Williams, Isaiah Jackson, Jared Butler, Alparen Sengun, and Jaden Springer) I think we're probably going to trade the pick completely, or trade back into the 20s.

I guess I am not sure what you are trying to say here. I believe Sengun is a better player than Holmes and teams like Dallas (playoff team) Charlotte (playoff aspirations) and the Kings all want him.

I think Sengun's floor is 14 and 9 with plus passing and slightly below average defense. (I think his effort and IQ will make keep him out of the atrocious defense category)

His ceiling for me is 25 11 4 & 2 80 percent from the line and high 30s from 3 with just above average over all defense.

His likely translatable skills: scoring, free throw rate, rebounding, passing and percentage from the line lead me to believe he has a better chance of reaching towards his ceiling than landing on his floor.
When I watch Sengun, I see a smaller Enos Kanter. Which translates into a solid backup center whose lack of defense limits his minutes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

He wouldn’t be getting 25 points a night on the Kings though unless they let us play with two balls or something.

He wouldn’t be getting 25 points a night on the Kings though unless they let us play with two balls or something.
For sure, but I like the idea of Fox averaging less points while being more efficient. Hali isn't a natural scorer and imo is best suited as a guy who runs the offense averaging say 17 a game. We could squeeze another 20 point a game guy in the lineup.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
For sure, but I like the idea of Fox averaging less points while being more efficient. Hali isn't a natural scorer and imo is best suited as a guy who runs the offense averages say 17 a game. We could squeeze another 20 point a game guy in the lineup.
I see what you’re saying but Sengun, despite the numbers, isn’t exactly the greatest stretch big option and playing him in the paint when you’ve got one of the best penetrators in the league in Fox is just asking for trouble and isn’t a good enough defender to justify expending a mid-lotto pick to grab him at this point unless the idea is to trade Fox and just reload on potential gambles instead of guys that go around the star already on the team.

Exactly, and look at the Suns. They DRAFTED theirs. The Raps drafted OG. I think that if you can draft that type of player it adds a ton of value to it since you don't have to overpay for one initially.

I’ve posted this several times, but what would you rather have:

Draft Sengun and have to find vet wings who are good enough
Or
Draft Moody or Wagner and sign another cheap defensive big like Damian Jones or splurge a bit more to get Noel

I’m choosing the 2nd option
Well put question. There isn't a wealth of available wings the likes of what the Kings can potentially get at 9 this year. There just isn't. And the ones out there in FA or via trade are likely unattainable because the Kings have no money to spend and the only assets they have are either ones they've seriously diminished, are paying big bucks to, or are ones they better not move to fill that hole because it's taking two steps back to take two steps forward.

So, that said, yeah the Kings are back into the game of looking at Harkless/GR3 level wings if they don't draft one. No thanks. Been there, done that. Not enough. And exactly, you can find serviceable bigs on the cheap at every turn and considering the teams build around someone like Fox all they have to do is be able to catch and finish. I mean, if they can shoot all the better but decent bigs are a dime a dozen right now.

You called it. Either gonna be disappointing at that draft party if it’s traded before the pick or super awkward when the pick is made and everyone is celebrating and we find out a few mins later the pick is traded. Great job Kings marketing department!
They could be looking to move up though, never know. Look, the Kings are aggressive which is good, but what happens on draft night will determine if they are desperate. And they really don't need to be. They just need to stay the course and let early next year determine what direction to head from there. Worst case it might require just a partial reset. Go all in and fail and you might as well wipe out all hope for the next half a decade.

They could be looking to move up though, never know. Look, the Kings are aggressive which is good, but what happens on draft night will determine if they are desperate. And they really don't need to be. They just need to stay the course and let early next year determine what direction to head from there. Worst case it might require just a partial reset. Go all in and fail and you might as well wipe out all hope for the next half a decade.
I'm hoping for the trade-up to grab Mobley, w/the major caveat that the move from #9 to #3 would be COSTLY. If they can do it while hanging onto Fox and Halliburton - I can't imagine them doing it otherwise - well, Fox, Haliburton and Mobley could/should/would be a pretty sweet core.

Last edited:
He’s just quoting Givony.
I still question who is really available in a veteran type trade. It looks like Siakam and Turner are the only names I’ve seen that could maybe be had with the Kings assets.

I don’t know if you have heard but it’s a wing league so no one is trading their defensive minded 3 or 4 for a lowly mid lottery pick. What is Tinker McNair up to?

I still question who is really available in a veteran type trade. It looks like Siakam and Turner are the only names I’ve seen that could maybe be had with the Kings assets.

I don’t know if you have heard but it’s a wing league so no one is trading their defensive minded 3 or 4 for a lowly mid lottery pick. What is Tinker McNair up to?
There's this:
Maybe #9 for Ingles + #30?

There's this

Maybe #9 for Ingles + #30?

That would probably be the win now move that a lot of King's fans would be furious with.

Fox
Haliburton
Ingles
Barnes
Easily obtained big

Draft Herb Jones at 30, Queta in second round, Kuzma, Wright, Davis, Metu to round out the bench.

I'm curious what the board's thoughts would be on something like this.

One side note: Ingles is a free agent after this season so that lowers his value some. It will be interesting to see what the market is if they do indeed trade him.

Last edited: