Players that I would target with the 9th pick:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
Fox is 23, Haliburton is 21. What veteran are we going to acquire who fits that timeline? The only reason we have any hope at all right now is because McNair drafted Haliburton in the lottery last year. If we're trading that pick we'd better be getting someone 25 or younger who is better than an average free agent and based on the types of trade suggestions being thrown around by the media I don't feel like that kind of deal is available.

"The Kings are being extremely aggressive in trade talks and there is a good chance they won't be making this pick, as well as their second-round pick at No. 39," Givony wrote in his 2021 NBA Mock Draft writeup.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-draft-rumors-kings-extremely-225039387.html

I just read that the bolded part from Givony’s original write up was left out of the tweet. Imagine if we traded both of our picks on draft day :eek:

Fox is 23, Haliburton is 21. What veteran are we going to acquire who fits that timeline? The only reason we have any hope at all right now is because McNair drafted Haliburton in the lottery last year. If we're trading that pick we'd better be getting someone 25 or younger who is better than an average free agent and based on the types of trade suggestions being thrown around by the media I don't feel like that kind of deal is available.
Simmons just turned 25.

I'm hoping for the trade-up to grab Mobley, w/the major caveat that the move from #9 to #3 would be COSTLY. If they can do it while hanging onto Fox and Halliburton - I can't imagine them doing it otherwise - well, Fox, Haliburton and Mobley could/should/would be a pretty sweet core.
IF Mobley falls to #3 and IF Cleveland doesn't get a better offer I think you're looking at something like Barnes, Bagley, #9 and an unprotected 1st in 2023 for #3 and the ghost of Kevin Love.

And I'm not sure that's enough. But I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That's a core to build on. Start adding 3&D wings and there's a clear path forward.

IF Mobley falls to #3 and IF Cleveland doesn't get a better offer I think you're looking at something like Barnes, Bagley, #9 and an unprotected 1st in 2023 for #3 and the ghost of Kevin Love.

And I'm not sure that's enough. But I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That's a core to build on. Start adding 3&D wings and there's a clear path forward.
The fact that the team's #2 overall pick from just a few years ago wouldn't be remotely enough to move up 6 spots to #3 overall just underlines the risk inherent in such a move. That's a LOT of draft capital to move in exchange for... promise. (2021-22 could well yield another spot in the lottery.) But here we are, hoping beyond hope that something like this happens.

Sheesh.

The fact that the team's #2 overall pick from just a few years ago wouldn't be remotely enough to move up 6 spots to #3 overall just underlines the risk inherent in such a move. That's a LOT of draft capital to move in exchange for... promise. (2021-22 could well yield another spot in the lottery.) But here we are, hoping beyond hope that something like this happens.

Sheesh.
The other side of that coin is to say what good is draft capital when you had the #2 pick in a loaded draft and came away with a kid who currently has almost zero value?

And the Kings likely will be in the lottery or just out of it next year. They'd also still have that pick in my scenario. The other 1st rounder would be from 2023.

Apparently we are giving Sengun serious consideration at 9. That will please some and disappoint others. Although we are involved in every rumour at the moment so who knows what's true.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/26/nba-mock-draft-2021-latest-buzz-rumors-cade-cunningham-jalen-green
The nice thing about this draft is its so deep with really talented prospects. I absolutely prefer a wing, but I wouldn't be mad at taking Sengun at all. He has some serious initiator promise along with the super elite international production at such a young age.

McNair just has to have the plan to stock the 3/4 with super defensive players. Because while Hali/Fox/Sengun could be the best trio in the NBA on offense, they just aren't going to be more than average on defense.

dude12

Hall of Famer
The nice thing about this draft is its so deep with really talented prospects. I absolutely prefer a wing, but I wouldn't be mad at taking Sengun at all. He has some serious initiator promise along with the super elite international production at such a young age.

McNair just has to have the plan to stock the 3/4 with super defensive players. Because while Hali/Fox/Sengun could be the best trio in the NBA on offense, they just aren't going to be more than average on defense.
It’s imperative that Woodard gets his opportunity and shows up AND Walton plays him if he’s locking up guys. I think the kid can play D. For that matter JJ is good defensively but once again, Walton just doesn’t utilize him. But yeah, if we trade our tradeables for 3 and D wings and draft Sengun, that could be a path.

Interesting mock draft with Moody going 15. If that were to happen time to start talking with OKC.
Sengun scares me on the defensive end but how much worse will the team defense really be if Holmes and Bagley are replaced at the 4&5 with Sengun and Barnes/Woodard? Potentially the team could actually improve on that end of the floor.

The Kings have been working out a lot of guys that figure to go in the 16-24 range. Could just be due diligence or maybe they have the parameters of a possible deal in place. If as this mock suggests, guys like Moody, Jalen Johnson, and Ziaire Williams fall into the late teens or early 20's I'd be really pleased to see the Kings come out of the draft with Sengun and one of them.

If they could nab Herb Jones at #39 it'd be a near perfect draft night IMO.

Last edited:
Interesting mock draft with Moody going 15. If that were to happen time to start talking with OKC.
This seems really inconsistent with the rumblings I've been reading. Seems like Moody is going up draft boards, not down. Like guaranteed-ish top 10 pick. Lots of people talking about him to the Magic at 8. Very interesting that he got mocked 15 here.

To me, Sengun is going to be another Kangz pick. I just can't get on board with non defensive centers. Crossing my fingers and hoping he's going to turn out like Jokic just seems like a losing plan to me. It's kind of a similar plan to drafting Bagley while hoping he's going to be Giannis.

I also wouldn't trade up for Mobley. Cade and Green would be the only two players I'd trade up for. Using your most valuable assets to acquire players that aren't as valuable in the modern NBA just doesn't sit well with me. Unless it's an absolute no brainer of a pick, I think it would be best for the Kings to stay away from drafting big men in the lottery all together. It's kind of like the NFL. I think you're better off drafting an offensive lineman in the top 10 and a RB in the 3rd round rather than the other way around.

To me, Sengun is going to be another Kangz pick. I just can't get on board with non defensive centers. Crossing my fingers and hoping he's going to turn out like Jokic just seems like a losing plan to me. It's kind of a similar plan to drafting Bagley while hoping he's going to be Giannis.

I also wouldn't trade up for Mobley. Cade and Green would be the only two players I'd trade up for. Using your most valuable assets to acquire players that aren't as valuable in the modern NBA just doesn't sit well with me. Unless it's an absolute no brainer of a pick, I think it would be best for the Kings to stay away from drafting big men in the lottery all together. It's kind of like the NFL. I think you're better off drafting an offensive lineman in the top 10 and a RB in the 3rd round rather than the other way around.
Agree to disagree but I think Mobley is the type of player who is essential in today's NBA. He can guard the basket, switch on the perimeter, playmake, and has shown a lot of potential as a floor spacer. I'm not sure what else he could do to be a better big man fit in the NBA. His biggest weakness is that as a 7 foot 19 year old he needs to gain weight and strength. You only have to look at guys like Bosh and AD to see that it should happen with time and hard work.

To me Jalen Green is a bigger risk. He doesn't have great size or length and has a slight build. He's going to score but will he be more like LaVine and Booker (until CP3 arrived) putting up stats for a bad team? Scorers aren't tough to find. Versatile defending bigs with a great feel for the game and shooting/scoring upside are.

Last edited:
I know we are all prospected out and ready for the draft. But I did want to thank everyone that contributed their own insights on this thread. It’s been fun.
Yeah. We may have disagreements on who to take, but I think we are all excited to see what happens. I haven't really been this excited for a draft in a while, a proper GM that seems to be hunting for a lot of moves. It should be an exciting day/couple of days.