what was the last movie you watched?

Warhorse - Its starts out slow but ends up being a good horse/owner story

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol - I thought out of all the Mission Impossible, this was 1 of my favorite.

We bought a Zoo - At first I didn't know what to think about the movie other than Matt Damon was cast as the lead. I thought this was going to be a lame movie however as I was watching the movie, it ended up being a feel good type of a movie.

Contraband - A lot of action but sometimes slow. Glad I watched this on DVD rather than going to the theaters.

Battleship - I had no idea what type of a movie I was going to see. It started out slow but picked up quickly. Great action scenes.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Prometheous

Overall a pretty good film, but lots of questions/holes/unresolved plot points or issues. Hiding details in the spoilers tag. And I realize that much of this is probably left vague for a reason to get answers in a later film, but....

Just a partial list:

Was the opening scene on Earth or another planet? I assume another planet?
Why didn't they scan the whole planet first instead of landing at the first location they find an artifact? Wouldn't you want to check out the entire planet from orbit first to see what was there?
If the human-DNA aliens were coming to "destroy" Earth (or wipe out the human race), why mess with this method? Why not just a virus that kills instead of mutates? What's the goal to this?
Why were they waiting at all? Why was the one last alien on the ship in stasis - who was he waiting for and why? He couldn't have been waiting for humans to show up - what's the point if they were setting out to destroy us anyways? Was he the last of his race and just decided to put off the end? Was he waiting for more aliens to show?
What was the goal of David trying to put Shaw into stasis for a return trip? He had no real idea what she was pregnant with, did he? How could he? On whose orders was he under, or was he acting "independently" to wipe out his "parents" - the human race? He hinted as much in one of their conversations. But how would he know what the creature would ultimately turn into and what would be the point to wiping out Earth? What then?
When something tall and thin is falling towards somone, why do they run straight away from it instead of sideways?
Was the alien at the end a planned outcome from the stuff in the jars? Seems possible, but a man would have to get infected and quickly have intercourse with a woman in order to create the creature that resulted which would then have to create the alien inside someone not previously infected, right? Seems like the alien was, in fact, an unintended consequence perhaps?

Warhorse - Its starts out slow but ends up being a good horse/owner story

Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol - I thought out of all the Mission Impossible, this was 1 of my favorite.

We bought a Zoo - At first I didn't know what to think about the movie other than Matt Damon was cast as the lead. I thought this was going to be a lame movie however as I was watching the movie, it ended up being a feel good type of a movie.

Contraband - A lot of action but sometimes slow. Glad I watched this on DVD rather than going to the theaters.

Battleship - I had no idea what type of a movie I was going to see. It started out slow but picked up quickly. Great action scenes.
This was my favorite MI as well. Very well done. Edge of my seat the entire time.

As far as We Bought A Zoo..
I loved the movie. Thought it was very heartfelt. My only issue was the end when they look over the fallen tree and there is literally hundreds of people there. My first question was: How did they not hear all of those people from behind the tree?

Watched Journey 2--not the greatest, but not bad. Movie felt rushed and Dwayne Johnson's role felt more like a caricature then a person. Not a fan of 3-D(makes me nauseated) so watched it in regular mode.
Ghostrider 2- I only watched the first 10 minutes and that was bad enough. I felt sorry for my poor husband who kept watching hoping it might get better. It didn't even follow the same storyline as the first while using the same character.

Thinking about renting Mirror Mirror when it gets to redbox. Is it worth it?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Eyeborgs. Not exactly a blockbuster and made on an obviously very small budget, but it's a cautionary tale. Basically, when the US is hit with another terrorist attack, Homeland Security steps in and cameras and bots are soon everywhere, watching every move "for our own protection." It actually gave me chills.

I had high hopes for it because a few friends enjoyed it and it got good reviews, but it just never pulled me in
I've found that to be a common problem with Refn's films. There is a lot interesting in all of them, but his visual style is so cool as to keep me at a distance. The only reason Bronson manages to break through is because Tom Hardy's performance is so engaging, but both Drive's visual style and Gosling's guarded character/performance combine to almost aggressively push me away. I ultimately think Refn is a VERY interesting filmmaker, but he's yet to produce a film I can call good without reservation.

Taxi Driver. One of Deneiros first movies, and IMO his best. Its a fantastic dark movie the first time you watch it, but its one of those movies that get crazier every time yu watch it. "Are you talkin to me? Are you talkin to me"????

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I do not generally care for Quentin Tarantino. For that reason, I spent a long time avoiding Django Unchained. Luckily, I gave in and actually watched it a few days ago...and was very pleasantly surprised. I loved the flick. I loved the obvious homage to the spaghetti westerns. I loved the soundtrack. I loved the over-the-top gore whenever someone got shot (and there were a lot of people who got shot). I now actually own the DVD, which in itself is saying something.

Waiting to watch Django on my big screen which hasn't been set up since I moved a few months ago. I did get a largeish tv which is the only other tv in the house and I've been watching a lot of movies on that that don't require "critical viewing".

Most recent movies for me...
Re-watched Better Off Dead over the weekend, pretty much my favorite 80s flick, surely I picked in the movies draft a few years ago.
Seeking a Friend For the End of the World - This got a lot of bad reviews I guess but I really enjoyed it.
Safety Not Guaranteed - Another one that I liked the trailers for but never got around to seeing, quite enjoyed this as well.
Killer Joe - Not for the faint of heart.
21 Jumpstreet - ummmmm. Don't watch if you are a fan of the tv show.
Killing Hanson and Penhall completely inexcusable in a cameo appearance

I forced a friend to sit through a few numbers of Rock of Ages Sunday morning before going to Starbucks. I can not say enough awful things about this movie.

Also re-watched Pitch Perfect the other day, I think I could watch it a dozen more times. Not sure why. But the fact that Rock of Ages exists meant that I needed a better musical movie to fix it.

Guardians of the Galaxy, lots of humor written into it. Having Andy from Parks and Rec help that. If you know nothing about the comic but want to see a Marvel movie go ahead and see it, it's still entertaining.

Kinky Boots - not sure what I was expecting it to be but as I generally avoid movies that critics love, I didn't expect to like it. Well done story and acting that just drew me in.
Planes 2 - same basic formulation plot as Planes 1 but different story. Ziah enjoyed it and I will probably find myself watching it several more times. At least I'll enjoy it too.

My son wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy so I took him, thought it was great. No idea if he liked it or not, he wasn't super excited by the end but he didn't ask to leave either. Silence from him is ... strange.

My son wanted to see Guardians of the Galaxy so I took him, thought it was great. No idea if he liked it or not, he wasn't super excited by the end but he didn't ask to leave either. Silence from him is ... strange.
Ah so he was pretty neutral then. Could it be because it was a new set of characters (non staple Marvel characters) that I'm assuming he hasn't been exposed to before?

I don't know, most everything is knew to him when he gets to see the movie. Maybe we were up too late the night before. We'll see what he's like this week. Of course he is super excited about the Ninja Turtles this weekend.

Larry89

Disgruntled Kings Fan
Heat (1995)
Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight
A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist.

and also got around to seeing Chinatown (1974) with Jack Nicholson, both excellent movies. I was more opted towards Heat though.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Heat (1995)
A group of professional bank robbers start to feel the heat from police when they unknowingly leave a clue at their latest heist.

and also got around to seeing Chinatown (1974) with Jack Nicholson, both excellent movies. I was more opted towards Heat though.
DeNiro was always who I thought I might be as a criminal. He shoulda won over that overrated scenery chewer Pacino. :p

Ryan

I like turtles
Heat (1995)
One of my all time favorites. When I taught summer school film production I used to have my students analyze the opening scene. I tell the younger generation who brag about "The Dark Night" to watch Heat and see how it's really done.