What is up with De'Aaron Fox?

I’m morseo saying it’s a phenomenon than making an excuse for Fox, because I agree with you.

He’s getting paid the big bucks, and he has the talent (debatable lately, but I’m still a believer) to push this team out of the Kangz-zone.

But I don’t think we should just discount how frustration could turn into apathy. This franchise is a dumpster fire, and that’s not debatable. But it is on Fox to fight through that and bring it every night.
Thing is that thru 9/10 games the Kings looked GOOD. Not because 5-4 is awesome, but the way they did it, the competitiveness given the quality of opponent - all of that. It WASN'T just HB going League MVP on everybody. IT WAS WORKING, at least arguably so - in spite of Fox underperforming, in spite of Hali underperforming. And it looks like Fox's underperformance wasn't simply due to a scheme that didn't fit his strengths; apparently, it was also due to his sulking and effectively undermining what Walton was trying to do.

That's some selfish, insubordinate s***, tell you wut. I get how frustration can turn into apathy when the team is losing. But we were all asking questions about Fox's attitude from the get-go - during that solid start. That's a REALLY bad look from any player at any level, much less an ostensible team "leader." Disappointed.

I’m morseo saying it’s a phenomenon than making an excuse for Fox, because I agree with you.

He’s getting paid the big bucks, and he has the talent (debatable lately, but I’m still a believer) to push this team out of the Kangz-zone.

But I don’t think we should just discount how frustration could turn into apathy. This franchise is a dumpster fire, and that’s not debatable. But it is on Fox to fight through that and bring it every night.
I'll just add that ironically fans love Fox irrationally because if I recall correctly he said he wanted to lead this team to the playoffs. So like you said, it is very much on Fox to fight through any team frustration, and if not, fans should review their irrational love for him that treated him as some untradeable superstar.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'll just add that ironically fans love Fox irrationally because if I recall correctly he said he wanted to lead this team to the playoffs. So like you said, it is very much on Fox to fight through any team frustration, and if not, fans should review their irrational love for him that treated him as some untradeable superstar.
Fair.

I’ve definitely downgraded him from “untouchable” status in my book, but I’d still be wary to trade him based on the small sample size of this season.

And even IF you want to trade him, it would be best to let him boost his value playing under a coach who isn’t an incompetent mess like Luke. Gentry isn’t exciting, but he knows offense. I’d wager we’ll see a lot of guys start to put up better individual numbers - who knows if that’ll impact Ws though.

Fair.

I’ve definitely downgraded him from “untouchable” status in my book, but I’d still be wary to trade him based on the small sample size of this season.

And even IF you want to trade him, it would be best to let him boost his value playing under a coach who isn’t an incompetent mess like Luke. Gentry isn’t exciting, but he knows offense. I’d wager we’ll see a lot of guys start to put up better individual numbers - who knows if that’ll impact Ws though.
Only reason I've moved him from untouchable is because we are now in complete desperation and he can yield the biggest return. I just don't see a window for us if we keep him, sad as that is.

This so-called "wall of hopelessness" is BS: Woe is me; I'm the victim, it's the environment, it's the organization, it's the building, it's the fans, it's the city, it's climate change, whatever. Fox wants to recede into the background, not take command of the ship. If anything, the pressure is greater on Fox now than before Walton got hired. Now the Walton excuse is no longer there. It's not getting easier from Fox from here on forward. He's got to man-up. He's not a kid anymore.
I agree. He also had it way easier than Cousins in terms of the pressure and media. But if Fox were on any big market team, his disappointing play would make headlines every week.

Only reason I've moved him from untouchable is because we are now in complete desperation and he can yield the biggest return. I just don't see a window for us if we keep him, sad as that is.
Interesting thought that came to mind - honestly our best path for future success might be trading Fox for Simmons who then sits out most of the year due to his ongoing issues, allowing us to tank for a high pick. We go into next year with a new coach chosen by Monte, a core of high pick and Simmons + Tyrese (I leave out Davion in case he might need to be packaged in a trade) , and whatever remainder of the rest of the guys.

Interesting thought that came to mind - honestly our best path for future success might be trading Fox for Simmons who then sits out most of the year due to his ongoing issues, allowing us to tank for a high pick. We go into next year with a new coach chosen by Monte, a core of high pick and Simmons + Tyrese (I leave out Davion in case he might need to be packaged in a trade) , and whatever remainder of the rest of the guys.
It's riskier but I might be more interested in Siakam if we can get a couple picks or complementary player back as well.

Thing is that thru 9/10 games the Kings looked GOOD. Not because 5-4 is awesome, but the way they did it, the competitiveness given the quality of opponent - all of that. It WASN'T just HB going League MVP on everybody. IT WAS WORKING, at least arguably so - in spite of Fox underperforming, in spite of Hali underperforming. And it looks like Fox's underperformance wasn't simply due to a scheme that didn't fit his strengths; apparently, it was also due to his sulking and effectively undermining what Walton was trying to do.

That's some selfish, insubordinate s***, tell you wut. I get how frustration can turn into apathy when the team is losing. But we were all asking questions about Fox's attitude from the get-go - during that solid start. That's a REALLY bad look from any player at any level, much less an ostensible team "leader." Disappointed.
I mean would it have been better if he just straight up said Walton needs to go? IMO he was trying his best to be professional but being a human being his negative feelings were leaking through to the post game interviews. Sure he could have approached it better and even I lost a little respect for him but clearly he wanted Walton gone. Now he’s gotta beast out and prove to us that Walton was not putting him ina situation to succeed as a player (Walton has done that to other players).

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I mean would it have been better if he just straight up said Walton needs to go? IMO he was trying his best to be professional but being a human being his negative feelings were leaking through to the post game interviews. Sure he could have approached it better and even I lost a little respect for him but clearly he wanted Walton gone.
Weren't there some quotes after the bubble games about not being prepared or something that could be considered to be "negative" in relation to the coaching staff's preparations?

Edit: I think I found what I was thinking of:

Last edited:
Weren't there some quotes after the bubble games about not being prepared or something that could be considered to be "negative" in relation to the coaching staff's preparations?

Edit: I think I found what I was thinking of:

so basically Fox just finally lost his patience. Im surprised he didn’t get all sulky for this long lol.

Ty also said this so Walton just straight up sucked

Anybody else think that Fox showed some heart and fire by getting ejected?

Maybe the "shrug the shoulders" type of reactions are in the past now that the vision has changed. Hope it is reflected in his play and in his stats.

He could earn back the confidence of the fans on here with a little chippyness and results. Bagley seem to be moving in that direction with just one game of production.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Anybody else think that Fox showed some heart and fire by getting ejected?

Maybe the "shrug the shoulders" type of reactions are in the past now that the vision has changed. Hope it is reflected in his play and in his stats.

He could earn back the confidence of the fans on here with a little chippyness and results. Bagley seem to be moving in that direction with just one game of production.
I’ve never lost confidence in Fox and there are others. It’s always going to be somebody for many people. If Fox is traded then the hammer is going to eventually fall on Hali and or Davion. We fans know very little except what we see and then there is a lot of guessing and speculating.

What we all know and there should be no dispute is that Walton was as bad as any head coach we have had.

I’ve never lost confidence in Fox and there are others. It’s always going to be somebody for many people. If Fox is traded then the hammer is going to eventually fall on Hali and or Davion. We fans know very little except what we see and then there is a lot of guessing and speculating.

What we all know and there should be no dispute is that Walton was as bad as any head coach we have had.
Agreed. I also don't think Haliburton is ready for that type of load. He's starting to float with Justin Jackson with these single digit scoring games :(. Would love for him to pick it up.

so basically Fox just finally lost his patience. Im surprised he didn’t get all sulky for this long lol.

Ty also said this so Walton just straight up sucked
Now hold on a second, are we forgetting that Luke probably would have been fired last season if not for a sudden piece on how Fox liked him?

Curious how much of this is a case of playing himself back into shape. Came in up 10 pounds this year - supposedly all muscle but I don’t think it’s realistic to thing he packed on all that weight in muscle without carrying some extra fat around. In any case he looks more toned to me but I could be imagining things.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Curious how much of this is a case of playing himself back into shape. Came in up 10 pounds this year - supposedly all muscle but I don’t think it’s realistic to thing he packed on all that weight in muscle without carrying some extra fat around. In any case he looks more toned to me but I could be imagining things.
If anything, it may be a case of him losing some of that bulky muscle mass thanks to the 35+ minutes a night of aerobic exercise.