Webber Taking Two Days Off to Rest Knee

quick dog said:
Did you have to Google it?
No, I was passingly aware of him before, but I easily recalled him by his nickname this time due to your own posts about him several months back. :)

L.A. Brian said:
Shoulda used Pistol Packin' Papa as your user title, QD! That'd perk some ears up.
Pistol Packin Mama was written by Al Dexter in 1942. That song was indeed performed by the mystery cowboy singer, but it was a minor contribution by the Singing Brakeman.

bigdog5142 said:
Yeah...I have a reconstructed knee...torn ACL about 5 years ago. It swells from time to time...usually not painful. Sometimes it is and I have to ice it and it goes down. Still kinda disconcerting, though...
Do you workout regularly, i mean does it swell when you do something abnormal or is it just like that. I have been similar situations and it normalls acts up when i get a little lazy with my workouts and still go out and play

usually when I over work my knee...and it's usually when I play b-ball...I can only play about once a month right now...I hope to remedy that soon...:)

Bricklayer said:
Ah yes, the two great advances genetic engineering should provide in our lifetimes: 1) non-pooping dogs; and 2) children who do not develop voiceboxes until about age 5. ;)
Oh, good grief! The flaw in your argument is that you do not require them to forget every question they ever wanted answered in their first 5 years of life! EEK!:D

KK!

ReinadelosReys said:
:) Maybe they do, but i think I remember an instance last year where the Kings got into a city late because the Dbacks bullpen blew the lead and they had to play extra innings.
Could be. Sounds familiar. I know the Sharks and Kings shared AirBAll1. But im not sure whether the Kings are still using Lukenbills charter company or not.

slugking50 said:
Could be. Sounds familiar. I know the Sharks and Kings shared AirBAll1. But im not sure whether the Kings are still using Lukenbills charter company or not.
Does anyone else wonder about the wisdom of nicknaming the Kings plane AirBall1? It's always bothered me in the last .0001% of available brain cells I own! :D

KK!

slugking50 said:
Yeah...I'm thinkin' no...;)
I'm sure this article was posted on the site before the great crash but here it is again.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/06/14/story2.html

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS
From the June 11, 2004 print edition
Former Kings owner sues team in charter-airline contract spat
Mark Larson
Staff Writer
Sky King Inc., the Sacramento charter airline headed by former Sacramento Kings co-owner Gregg Lukenbill, has sued the NBA team, claiming it owes him at least $8.2 million for rejecting his airline's flight services contract for the last four years.

"Obviously there is a disagreement," said team attorney David Price, who had seen only a draft of the suit early this week. "The team wouldn't have terminated the contract several years ago if it didn't feel strongly that there was a nonperformance by Sky King."

Lukenbill, a developer who helped bring the Kings to town in 1985, filed the suit May 27 in Sacramento County Superior Court. Phoned for a statement, he said, "I don't want to know what the subject is, I have no comment, thank you much."

Since July 2000 the Kings have used an NBA-run charter that negotiates prices based on the number of teams participating, Price said.

In the latest season the Kings used Pace Airlines of Winston-Salem, N.C. Pace specializes in team charters; its partners are Hooters Air, which offers short-haul flights in the Southeast, and Atlanta-based Vacation Express, which offers flights in the Southwest and connections to Mexico, Costa Rica and the Caribbean.

Point man: Lukenbill was a key member of the local group which moved the Kings to Sacramento from Kansas City, Mo. In 1990 he formed Sky King to fly the team to games, according to filings with the Federal Aviation Administration.

The company says it now operates a fleet of seven Boeing 737s. Vacation Express -- which Sky King worked with last year -- said the local company is in its third year of selling long-term charter service to more than 20 National Hockey League and NBA teams. It didn't name the teams.

In 2001, Sky King diversified from sports team charters, joining with Avoca, Pa.-based Aviation Technologies Inc. to develop tour and leisure markets, according to a Vacation Express press release. Last year, Sky King operated for Vacation Express and Jamaica Vacations, on both domestic and international routes.

In March, Sky King began flying Vacation Express flights between Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport in Pennsylvania to Orlando and Myrtle Beach, Fla.

Local start, growing rift: Sky King signed a contract with the Kings in September 1997 to fly the team aboard a Boeing 737. The lease was extended in December 1998 to continue through the end of this month at $1.2 million per year.

The deal was signed by Rick Benner of the Kings' former ownership group.

Then the team was sold to Joe and Gavin Maloof in mid-1999. During the transition in ownership, Kings general manager Geoff Petrie told Lukenbill that the team wanted to be flown in a different aircraft.

A series of increasingly testy letters, contained in the lawsuit, followed between Petrie and Lukenbill.

Lukenbill responded that adding a new jet would increase annual charter costs by at least another $400,000.

The Kings also brought up safety. After getting a letter of reassurance about Sky King's safety precautions, Petrie wrote in May 1999 saying that the Kings "certainly have no present intent to sever our relationship with you and with Sky King Inc.''

He later added, "as you can appreciate, the Kings are very concerned because of the numerous technical or mechanical problems which the plane experienced over the past NBA season."

The suit doesn't list the problems. Petrie went on to ask for new in-cabin electronics, long-range fuel tanks and internal soundproofing for the team jet, among other changes.

A fight over certification: In a follow-up October 1999 letter to Lukenbill, Petrie asked Sky King to get a federal "Part 121" certification to ensure high safety and maintenance procedures. He told Lukenbill that the team would stop using Sky King in February 2000 if it didn't get the certification by then.

Petrie also asked that Sky King have an aviation safety director, in accordance with federal safety rules, and balked at Lukenbill's intent to do the job. Petrie suggested Lukenbill would have a conflict of interest as head of the company, and also questioned the qualifications of the pilots flying the team plane.

In responses in late 1999 and early 2000, Lukenbill said the FAA had named him safety director, and claimed he'd spent more than $6.5 million on aircraft improvements and a Part 121 certification application.

Although the application for the Part 121 certification was filed, Lukenbill said he had no way of knowing how long the FAA would take to approve it. He said the agency had acknowledged the application was making "satisfactory progress."

Lukenbill also argued that his maintenance routines were at least as good as those required in the Part 121 certification.

And he groused in one letter that he'd regularly delivered extra pass-through services, such as catering and baggage handling, not required in the charter contract -- getting them "at substantial cost savings that seemingly go unnoticed."

FAA spokesman Donn Walker said Sky King got its Part 121 certification to provide paid passenger airline service in October 2002.

Sky King says it deserves at least $4.8 million in compensatory damages, $480,000 in interest, and $3 million in special damages, plus attorneys' fees and court costs.

kingskings! said:
In the latest season the Kings used Pace Airlines of Winston-Salem, N.C. Pace specializes in team charters; its partners are Hooters Air, which offers short-haul flights in the Southeast, and Atlanta-based Vacation Express, which offers flights in the Southwest and connections to Mexico, Costa Rica and the Caribbean.
I'm beginning to think I understand why the Kings have trouble on their East Coast games. :D

Yeah, it's THAT Hooters....

Some of the offered amenities include:
  • Easy to buy! Fun to fly!
  • Non stop jet service! All Boeing fleet!
  • One-Way Fares
  • No advance purchase requirements
  • No Saturday night stay requirements - travel when you want!
  • Extra leg room!
  • Real food on most flights!
  • One class configuration in the cabin - We call it Club Class!
  • All leather seats
  • The best customer service!
  • The same great flight crews plus two Hooters Girls on every flight!
  • A great experience that enlivens the senses and puts the fun back in flying!

kingskings! said:
Yeah...I'm thinkin' no...;)
I'm sure this article was posted on the site before the great crash but here it is again.
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacramento/stories/2004/06/14/story2.html

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS
From the June 11, 2004 print edition
Former Kings owner sues team in charter-airline contract spat
Mark Larson
Staff Writer
Sky King Inc., the Sacramento charter airline headed by former Sacramento Kings co-owner Gregg Lukenbill, has sued the NBA team, claiming it owes him at least $8.2 million for rejecting his airline's flight services contract for the last four years.

"Obviously there is a disagreement," said team attorney David Price, who had seen only a draft of the suit early this week. "The team wouldn't have terminated the contract several years ago if it didn't feel strongly that there was a nonperformance by Sky King."

Lukenbill, a developer who helped bring the Kings to town in 1985, filed the suit May 27 in Sacramento County Superior Court. Phoned for a statement, he said, "I don't want to know what the subject is, I have no comment, thank you much."

Since July 2000 the Kings have used an NBA-run charter that negotiates prices based on the number of teams participating, Price said.

Point man: Lukenbill was a key member of the local group which moved the Kings to Sacramento from Kansas City, Mo. In 1990 he formed Sky King to fly the team to games, according to filings with the Federal Aviation Administration.

The company says it now operates a fleet of seven Boeing 737s. Vacation Express -- which Sky King worked with last year -- said the local company is in its third year of selling long-term charter service to more than 20 National Hockey League and NBA teams. It didn't name the teams.

In 2001, Sky King diversified from sports team charters, joining with Avoca, Pa.-based Aviation Technologies Inc. to develop tour and leisure markets, according to a Vacation Express press release. Last year, Sky King operated for Vacation Express and Jamaica Vacations, on both domestic and international routes.

In March, Sky King began flying Vacation Express flights between Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport in Pennsylvania to Orlando and Myrtle Beach, Fla.

Local start, growing rift: Sky King signed a contract with the Kings in September 1997 to fly the team aboard a Boeing 737. The lease was extended in December 1998 to continue through the end of this month at $1.2 million per year.

The deal was signed by Rick Benner of the Kings' former ownership group.

Then the team was sold to Joe and Gavin Maloof in mid-1999. During the transition in ownership, Kings general manager Geoff Petrie told Lukenbill that the team wanted to be flown in a different aircraft.

A series of increasingly testy letters, contained in the lawsuit, followed between Petrie and Lukenbill.

Lukenbill responded that adding a new jet would increase annual charter costs by at least another $400,000.

The Kings also brought up safety. After getting a letter of reassurance about Sky King's safety precautions, Petrie wrote in May 1999 saying that the Kings "certainly have no present intent to sever our relationship with you and with Sky King Inc.''

He later added, "as you can appreciate, the Kings are very concerned because of the numerous technical or mechanical problems which the plane experienced over the past NBA season."

The suit doesn't list the problems. Petrie went on to ask for new in-cabin electronics, long-range fuel tanks and internal soundproofing for the team jet, among other changes.

A fight over certification: In a follow-up October 1999 letter to Lukenbill, Petrie asked Sky King to get a federal "Part 121" certification to ensure high safety and maintenance procedures. He told Lukenbill that the team would stop using Sky King in February 2000 if it didn't get the certification by then.

Petrie also asked that Sky King have an aviation safety director, in accordance with federal safety rules, and balked at Lukenbill's intent to do the job. Petrie suggested Lukenbill would have a conflict of interest as head of the company, and also questioned the qualifications of the pilots flying the team plane.

In responses in late 1999 and early 2000, Lukenbill said the FAA had named him safety director, and claimed he'd spent more than $6.5 million on aircraft improvements and a Part 121 certification application.

Although the application for the Part 121 certification was filed, Lukenbill said he had no way of knowing how long the FAA would take to approve it. He said the agency had acknowledged the application was making "satisfactory progress."

Lukenbill also argued that his maintenance routines were at least as good as those required in the Part 121 certification.

And he groused in one letter that he'd regularly delivered extra pass-through services, such as catering and baggage handling, not required in the charter contract -- getting them "at substantial cost savings that seemingly go unnoticed."

FAA spokesman Donn Walker said Sky King got its Part 121 certification to provide paid passenger airline service in October 2002.

Sky King says it deserves at least $4.8 million in compensatory damages, $480,000 in interest, and $3 million in special damages, plus attorneys' fees and court costs.
Ouch! Safe to say the Kings and Lukenbill wont be asking eachother for dinner anytime soon.