Webber Taking Two Days Off to Rest Knee

I just heard on ESPN Sportscenter that Chris is taking two days off to rest his knee. He's got swelling in that knee and is hoping that the days off will allow the swelling to go down. Yes...it is his surgically repaired knee....man...it begins already. Hopefully everything is okay...but WOW!!!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No, the two days are just two days, not 4. And its a little swelling, not pain.
This would be precautionary in the preseason. Why push it?

Used to have, actually ocassionally still do have, an ankle like that. Blew it out badly, and for years afterward it would sometimes get "puffy". Not really painful, other than the extra pressure against the shoe/ankle brace, just "puffy". Fluid would be retained in the area and the ankle/top of the foot would be puffed up. It was no big deal, other than as a reminder that I had badly injured the ankle. I played through it without incident.

I fully expect Webb to be shut down for the ocassional game over the course of the season just to rest the knee (particularly on back to backs). And that's fine. A game here, a game there, as long as there is no actual pain and corresponding deterioration in performance we will be fine.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Todays Kings vocabulary test:
Can you definethe following terms?
1. Precaution
2. Long term Healing Process
3. Risk/Benifit Ratio
4. Preseason
5. Regular Season
6. Post Season
7. Daily Use
8. Wear and Tear
9. Wise Use vs. Unnecessary Risk
10. Puffy Tissue

The Kings are obviously doomed. Chris has not even played a single game, not one minute of NBA competition, and he is already on the bench, resting his "perfectly healed" knee. Why couldn't it have been a crippling jaw injury instead.

Sacramentans enjoyed the Kings a lot more in the friendly, bad old, days when we had minimal expectations. I think it would be wise for everyone to recalibrate the old "expectation meter", and simply assume that the Kings will have a lack-luster season. We should accept the proposition that Chris Webber will play no more than 30 games this season. We should stop bitching, expect nothing, and be grateful for periodic glorious wins. This will be my "coping mechanism" in an attempt to enjoy a potentially dubious season.

Bricklayer

quick dog said:
The Kings are obviously doomed. Chris has not even played a single game, not one minute of NBA competition, and he is already on the bench, resting his "perfectly healed" knee. Why couldn't it have been a crippling jaw injury instead.

Sacramentans enjoyed the Kings a lot more in the friendly, bad old, days when we had minimal expectations. I think it would be wise for everyone to recalibrate the old "expectation meter", and simply assume that the Kings will have a lack-luster season. We should accept the proposition that Chris Webber will play no more than 30 games this season. We should stop bitching, expect nothing, and be grateful for periodic glorious wins. This will be my "coping mechanism" in an attempt to enjoy a potentially dubious season.
30 games? Er...based on what exactly? Unless he actually reinjures the thing, the swelling isn't going to keep him out of many games in and of itself. Might have sit the ocassional one out, and might have to have the knee drained periodically. But neither one is actually long-term debilitating.

quick dog said:
Sacramentans enjoyed the Kings a lot more in the friendly, bad old, days when we had minimal expectations. I think it would be wise for everyone to recalibrate the old "expectation meter", and simply assume that the Kings will have a lack-luster season.
That is definetly easier on my fragile emotions. So, I'm in for that approach.

P.S- Avatar=Hank Snow??

piksi

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:

50 would be a miracle

Bricklayer

thedofd said:
Does anyone else think it would be wise for Chris to stay home from the China trip and just order take-out?
Might be a thought, but there's really no more wear on the knee from flying to China then there is to staying home.

Just think its going to be a season-long concern, and maybe you take the ocassional back to back off, maybe you skip a practice if there's discomfort, and see how it goes.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Might be a thought, but there's really no more wear on the knee from flying to China then there is to staying home.

Just think its going to be a season-long concern, and maybe you take the ocassional back to back off, maybe you skip a practice if there's discomfort, and see how it goes.
Ever spend 16 hrs cramed up in an airline seat? Hopefully the Kings will charter a jet for the trip and let the big guys streach out a little.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Ever spend 16 hrs cramed up in an airline seat? Hopefully the Kings will charter a jet for the trip and let the big guys streach out a little.
I don't think they fly commerical. ;)

Can you imagine a 7' tall guy stuck in a coach seat? :D :eek:

Yeah...I have a reconstructed knee...torn ACL about 5 years ago. It swells from time to time...usually not painful. Sometimes it is and I have to ice it and it goes down. Still kinda disconcerting, though...

I once flew to Frankfurt jammed into a coach seat. I did not, and basically could not, move for 12 hours. Twelve hours with a deathly ill woman sniffling and sneezing on my neck. I think cheap airplane seats are designed for stunted asian children. Gawd, I love to fly.

I just spent 10 of the last 14 days on airplanes.

(to tokyo>Bangkok>Hanoi>Saigon>Hanoi>Hong Kong>Manila>tokyo>back to US)

All the flights EXCEPT the two intra-Vietnam ones were business class. Its amazing how fast you get spoiled... the coach flights were only 2 hours each, and still I felt like I was frankenstein flying in an iron maiden, with the villiagers poking sticks at me, while someone else kicked my dog.

I just can't WAIT untill my next "pleasure flight" (ie, not for work).... in coach.... with a 1 and a 3 year old climbing all over me, screaming, and generally endearing me to all of my flight neighbors. scrumdidilyicious.

Bricklayer

mcsluggo said:
I just can't WAIT untill my next "pleasure flight" (ie, not for work).... in coach.... with a 1 and a 3 year old climbing all over me, screaming, and generally endearing me to all of my flight neighbors. scrumdidilyicious.
I don't know if you've heard this or not, but I'm pretty sure the FAA just passed new regulations allowing you to stow toddlers in the overhead bins. be doing EVERYBODY a favor. ;)

P.S. interesting itenerary by the way.

I'm probably the only one, but I think this is good news. It tells me that Chris isn't pushing it too hard. That, coupled with the news earlier that he took a good month and half or more off after the season was over, makes me feel better about his knee.

I have a bad ankle, and it swells up now and then. I'm in my early twenties and usually play ball 4 or 5 times a week (plus the occasional tackle football game on Saturday afternoons). I'm sure that I don't put the same kind of stress on my ankle that Webber does on his knee, and I'm almost sure that I didn't hurt it as bad as he hurt his knee. But I do deal with the swelling with a little RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation), which is probably what Chris is doing. I think it's a good thing, rather than pushing through it in early October.

I hope it's a good thing...

Bricklayer said:
I don't think they fly commerical. ;)

Can you imagine a 7' tall guy stuck in a coach seat? :D :eek:
That used to be the case in the days before the Kings bought Airball 1. I was on a United flight to LAX with the Kings in 1985, Joe Kleine's rookie year. The veterans occupied first class, so the rook had to squeeze into an aisle seat in coach. It was something to see; I think it required the use of a crane.

I don't imagine that whatever plane the Kings routinely travel in during the season is the one they'll take to China. They probably have the first class accomodations booked on one of the major airlines that flies directly, such as Cathay Pacific.

But the comment I made about C-Webb staying home if his knee's puffy stands. Traveling takes its toll; he won't just be sitting in an airplane seat. In addition to the exhibition games, there will be photo ops, tours, and other demands on his time. Yeah, you want him there from a PR standpoint. But from a basketball standpoint, he'll get better treatment and more rest at home.

Bricklayer said:
I don't know if you've heard this or not, but I'm pretty sure the FAA just passed new regulations allowing you to stow toddlers in the overhead bins. be doing EVERYBODY a favor. ;)

P.S. interesting itenerary by the way.
Yeah, that schedule sucked donkey kong.

As to depriving all my fellow travelers the joy of experiencing my children in their full shrieking glory, I wouldn't dream of it!

This is an NBA sponsered trip, so I am going to assume that the NBA made the travel arrangements. That could be either good or bad. At times they can be a first class operation and yet other times they can be cheap.

slugking50 said:
I thought they shared with the SJ Sharks?..lol
:) Maybe they do, but i think I remember an instance last year where the Kings got into a city late because the Dbacks bullpen blew the lead and they had to play extra innings.

Bricklayer

mcsluggo said:
As to depriving all my fellow travelers the joy of experiencing my children in their full shrieking glory, I wouldn't dream of it!
Ah yes, the two great advances genetic engineering should provide in our lifetimes: 1) non-pooping dogs; and 2) children who do not develop voiceboxes until about age 5. ;)