[Game] Warriors @ Kings

I presume the idea behind small ball is to outscore the opponent. At the end of last year, we had a team that could bash some teams into submission. Then through some mystery, that team disappears. GP as GM doesn't help as he was a shooter when he played. That helps when he finds diamonds in the rough like Peja and Thornton but it doesn't help on defense. People say losing this way is more fun than before but losing is losing and I never find losing fun.

OK, so English says we have to push the ball harder. Is that the solution, really? That's the mind set, I guess.
If we can push the ball so much that the other team dies from exhaustion we win. Brilliant!

MT is starting to pee me off. The dude no doubt has fantastic scoring ability, but he's not near good enough to have free reign over when he shoots
I think he's struggling with confidence .. among other things with this current lineup.

First of all, with the 3 guards We went from Evans as the primary ball handler, and Thornton being the secondary guy. To Thomas as the primary, Evans the secondary, and MT with basically nothing. I'm not trying to excuse his poor shot selection, but he doesn't have the ball in his hands all that much. We hardly ever run any plays for him either. He should be used in a Ray Allen type role where he runs off the ball through screens, but I don't know if our players are smart enough to place multiple screens in the right place.

That's the X's and O's stuff, but I think his confidence is a little shot because he's forced to defend, and be defended, by bigger guys. I know we won against Dallas the other night, but he was just getting pounded over and over again by Marion in the post. Tonight he's forced to play against either Thompson or Wright .. two guys who have at least 3 inches on him.

With Evans and Salmons (or Greene/Cisco/ anyone else who isn't short) we could cover for Marcus because we could always put him on the least potent scorer and/or shortest player .. with IT starting you can't do that anymore.

Skiles will make him play defense whether he likes it or not.
He's not going to be able to defend SGs very well in Milwaukee just like he hasn't been able to do it in GS. he's got the size of a PG and the game of a SG. Mil probably can cover up for him because they have some good defensive wing players like Mbah A'Moute but Monta's still the same guy. He's a good player but not sure his game is real conducive to winning.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
He's isn't at the 3, in my opinion.

He certainly CAN be a great defender with his length, but he doesn't play at that level consistently .. and it hurts him even more when he's defending the bigger 3's.
Sorry. I forgot to say he isn't that good guarding SFs. So you give up his natural advantage over tall guards to defend people who he has to play as an equal. I guess I can concede that he isn't an average defender as a forward.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
First of all, with the 3 guards We went from Evans as the primary ball handler, and Thornton being the secondary guy. To Thomas as the primary, Evans the secondary, and MT with basically nothing. I'm not trying to excuse his poor shot selection, but he doesn't have the ball in his hands all that much.
This makes a lot of sense.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
It's because he has far better angles at the basket playing off the ball. The defense doesn't pack the paint, and it shows with how efficient he's been tonight and the last few weeks. He's really starting to embrace that SF role well
It's not the SF role. It's the same old Evans.