Warriors beating Lakers

Freakout said:
Lakers still have several holes that need addressed. Its pretty impossible to go through what LA did this off season and have a complete team. They lack solid outside shooting from the guard positions. Rush can help some once he's back but he's not consistant. Losing Banks back to Boston hurt because at the moment they lack anyone that can play average d at the 1 spot. Sasha clearly helps when he's in the game but Claxton blew by him at will forcing the defense to rotate leaving GS shooters open. I would still like one more solid big man (not sold yet on Medvedenko) but hopefully Vlade can help fill that need once he's back.
At least we have this.

http://home.earthlink.net/~dngo17/LALgirlbooty.gif

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KA_2 said:
Er no. I just find it funny that you pretend to know anything about basketball. I mean clearly, Suns > Spurs. Preseason tells all.
Odd I don't remember saying anything about the Suns or Spurs, but please enlighten me as to how Kobe's TO's are part of "doing what ever it takes to win." Your right I am ingnorant and confused on that subject.

JayBird said:
How bout I do you one better and name one on the Lakers: Mr. Vlade Divac?

And who would I consider unselfish? Let's see... Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Tony Paker, Tim Duncan, etc, etc. There are plenty of unselfish players in this league. Kobe Bean just isn't one of them.
Jason kidd and steve nash i kinda agree that they are pass first PGs. (If i were to talk about philosophy as per Mark Twain, everyone is selfish in whateve they do, nash and kidd want to pad up their assist stats and hence are passing too much and even dont take easy layups and give it to the trailing guy for a dunk. Anyhow that will be too much for you to handle now :) )

Mike bibby and doug christie - is there a reason why you say so, i looked at their assist numbers and they seem to be similar to Kobe Bean's, bibby averages more than kobe but then isnt a PG supposed to do that. DC is not a scorer and his assists seem pretty low for a non scorer (i know he is not the playmaker in the team and that it goes through the PG and the big men, but since you were pointing to stats i wanted to do the same ). if you are going to just look at the way they play and not back it up with numbers, facts then i can leave it as just perception which no one can change from either side.

Tim Duncan - If he is one among the best and teams double him that much, i would expect the assists to be higher and for an unselfish player like him, how is it that the assists are way lower than the selfish ballhog. Or is it again a perception from what you have seen or heard from people.

What are your criteria for an unselfish player, other than stats. Sometimes to make things clear, you can try to maintain stats for a game, where you can count the number of times the player touches the ball and the number of times he passes the ball or shoots it. That kinda would give an idea about what the team is doing and who the team considers their main weapon. If there are sequences in a game where DC doesnt touch the ball at all in offense then i am not sure if he can pass the ball or better yet try to score, and even when he does the chances of that going are going to be different.

I am not trying to defend Kobe here, but trying to understand your point of view or others who call someone a ballhog

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kobe = Iverson. Will get plenty of assists just from handling the ball every single time down the court. Will also put up 4 or 5 shots for every assist he tallies because his first option has always been and remains Kobe.

What the Lakers should do is give the ball to Odom and let him play Pippen to Kobe's Jordan. Kobe running your offense means you aren't going to have an offense at all, just the Kobe show.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
[FLaT] said:
Where's the Kings lose thread? hehehe.
We have a number of them over in the KINGS forum. Then again, we don't actually bother trying to win games that do not count, so its not particularly heartbreaking.

I can almost guarantee that Dwayne Wade is gonna average 2-3 more apg than last season.
I can almost guarantee you will be wrong. No really, I'd like to see you bet on that.

Also, Kobe has played well over half a season worth of games without Shaq in his career, and in that time has averaged more apg than he averaged with Shaq.

JayBird said:
If any Lakerfans can show evidence of Kobe being unselfish OTHER than his mighty assist numbers, I would greatly appreciate it.
Er, you just asked a question that 99% of the known basketball world hasn't figured out. How on earth do you quantify unselfishness without assist statistics, which are inherently objective in nature? What objective way is there to determine an unselfish player? Please, enlighten the basketball community.

HndsmCelt said:
Odd I don't remember saying anything about the Suns or Spurs, but please enlighten me as to how Kobe's TO's are part of "doing what ever it takes to win." Your right I am ingnorant and confused on that subject.
*whoosh* is the sound of you completely missing the point. Preseason games are usually a poor indicator of regular/post season performance, be it a team or player. In fact, preseason is a just plain horrible measure of team/player ability, period.

Gargamel said:
Where's the Lakers lose thread tonight?
That's what I was thinking. Five pages for a Laker preseason loss. I can't wait for the season to begin.

I do have to admit, I'm concerned Kobe may try to score too much this season. The Lakers will be better off if he leads the league in Triple Doubles rather than scoring. He can do either if he chooses IMO.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
KA_2 said:
*whoosh* is the sound of you completely missing the point. Preseason games are usually a poor indicator of regular/post season performance, be it a team or player. In fact, preseason is a just plain horrible measure of team/player ability, period.
I think I understand, you chose to respond to my spesific observation with a gross generalization.

Bricklayer said:
Then again, we don't actually bother trying to win games that do not count, so its not particularly heartbreaking.
You must be referring to the pre-season. When did this start? I pressume after the Phil Jackson era?

JP_Lakerfan said:
That's what I was thinking. Five pages for a Laker preseason loss. I can't wait for the season to begin.

I do have to admit, I'm concerned Kobe may try to score too much this season. The Lakers will be better off if he leads the league in Triple Doubles rather than scoring. He can do either if he chooses IMO.
From what I've seen so far, Kobe will try to carry the scoring load if the team struggles offensively, to try to get a spark. If the team could just figure out that the spark they need should start from the defensive end, they will be a much better team.

HndsmCelt said:
I think I understand, you chose to respond to my spesific observation with a gross generalization.
And that "gross generalization", as you inaccurately put it, will continue to be true. Preseason means very little, and means virtually nothing with an entirely new squad and offensive schemes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 said:
And that "gross generalization", as you inaccurately put it, will continue to be true. Preseason means very little, and means virtually nothing with an entirely new squad and offensive schemes.
If pre-season means very little, then why, in another thread, are you citing pre-season performance against the Kings (and our scrubs, at that) as evidence of how well your team is going to run the fast break this year?

You can't have it one way in one thread and the other way in another thread...

VF21 said:
If pre-season means very little, then why, in another thread, are you citing pre-season performance against the Kings (and our scrubs, at that) as evidence of how well your team is going to run the fast break this year?

You can't have it one way in one thread and the other way in another thread...
Here's exactly what I said in the other thread:

Kobe, Odom, Butler, and Jones all thrive in the open court, and Brown and Sasha have already proven to be excellent initiators, so the Lakers fast break offense is going to be very good, as partly evidenced by the Kings game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're judging your assessment of your fast break offense at least partly by how they did against our scrubs.

Whatever...

VF21 said:
You're judging your assessment of your fast break offense at least partly by how they did against our scrubs.

Whatever...
Sure. Admittedly it didn't mean much, more of a throwaway line because this is a Kings board and I wanted a reference.

But you're right, those 1.5 quarters mean very little compared to the regular season.

KA_2 said:
Here's exactly what I said in the other thread:

Kobe, Odom, Butler, and Jones all thrive in the open court, and Brown and Sasha have already proven to be excellent initiators, so the Lakers fast break offense is going to be very good, as partly evidenced by the Kings game.
yeah........and that means you are partly wrong..........

but what the hell.........we are not discussing English grammar here.........

Double-K said:
yeah........and that means you are partly wrong..........

but what the hell.........we are not discussing English grammar here.........
See above.

And see other thread for your ownage. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KA_2 said:
Sure. Admittedly it didn't mean much, more of a throwaway line because this is a Kings board and I wanted a reference.

But you're right, those 1.5 quarters mean very little compared to the regular season.
Okay, now that I'll buy with no problem.

;)