Warriors beating Lakers

Gargamel said:
What are you talking about? This is the best chemistry they've shown in 5 years.
hey.........you can't just pop up a conclusion like this.............
where are the premises that u think support this? otherwise I got nothing to attack to.........:p

Last edited:
Coook? He's the surprise of the pre-season but I'm not surprised with Mihm. This is the kind of game I thought he would play although he did miss a lot of easy layups tonight.

4-2 in OT and Kobe mised about 3 layups. Plus, Sasha missed 3 three pointers that would have changed the outcome of the game. The score says they lost but I believe they accomplished a lot of things they wanted to accomplish tonight.

Double-K said:
hey.........you can just pop up a conclusion like this.............
where are the premises that u think support this? otherwise I got nothing to attack to.........:p
They look happy. They do things as a group (like swimming with dolphins and orcas like Kobe said). They seem to like each other. Kobe isn't being aloof to them and they're not shutting Kobe out. Tomjanovich doesn't play mindgames. No more locker room vipers.

PS: Kobe lied about the orca and dolphin thing. :eek:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Actualy I was also impressed with Cooks play in the games I have seen. Honestly though Sasha has not realy done much against good players. He may be earning a spot on the bench, but I don't think this is the guy you wnat to run your point this season.

Sasha is going to be fine. He reminds me of a young Hornacek with a little more passion for defense. He just might be the future PG of the Lakers. He's a tough cookie.

Gargamel said:
They look happy. They do things as a group (like swimming with dolphins and orcas like Kobe said). They seem to like each other. Kobe isn't being aloof to them and they're not shutting Kobe out. Tomjanovich doesn't play mindgames. No more locker room vipers.

PS: Kobe lied about the orca and dolphin thing. :eek:
please tell me you're being sarcastic............

Lamar_Odom said:
Coook? He's the surprise of the pre-season but I'm not surprised with Mihm. This is the kind of game I thought he would play although he did miss a lot of easy layups tonight.

4-2 in OT and Kobe mised about 3 layups. Plus, Sasha missed 3 three pointers that would have changed the outcome of the game. The score says they lost but I believe they accomplished a lot of things they wanted to accomplish tonight.
Mihm's a little ham-handed too. We've had both ham-handed centers and weak finishing centers, but none who could block shots and exhibit low post moves. In those regards, Mihm is a keeper.

Cook looks great. I hope he's not pulling a Devean on us. Kobe got shoved out of bounds on one of those layups, nary a call.

I think they showed mettle in the comeback. I'm glad they didn't pack it in. I think too much of their game is predicated on long jumpers. They need more penetration and concientious ball movement. Along hsdmcelt's line, I think they can't afford to come out lax like they did in the 1st quarter. They are a very capable team when they are aggressive on D and O. When they are lax, they are much easier to take advantage of than they were with Shaq and Malone down low.

Final thought...nice wedgy on that Laker girl in the 4th Qtr. That was quite distracting.

I agree about the chemistry. Vlade might have a lot to do with that... ;)

I don't think Cook is pulling a Devean on us. While his shot may lack some trajectory to the normal basketball shooting eye, he does have a soft touch when he releases it. It's a natural shot for him, unlike Devean's mechanical technique. I hope they deal George. I'd take Jumaine Jones over him any day.

Gargamel said:
No. I pay attention to the team. You can trust this source.
well.........even if they really did what u said........that doesn't necessary equal to chemistry.........the whole Lakers starters this yr is new........with the exception of..........well.............ehh................................. (asking my brother:"who's left Lakers and who's not?"..............yeah, shaq left, malone's not playing this yr, fox retired, fisher went fishing in Golden State, Gary's with Pierce now.......) so...............the exception would be......
K.O.B.E.!!! right!! the only starter last yr left in Lakers is KOBE!!

if 4 of the 5 starters in a team changed, to say they would have a hard time getting chemistry with each other is an understatement. Not to mention Kobe ala "Basketball Blackhole" wouldn't sharing the ball this time around........(I mean come on, it's the only reason why Kobe want to get rid of shaq.....)

Blackhole? If I'm not mistaken, Kobe led the Lakers in assists last year and most likely will lead this year in that department. Kobe does whatever it takes to win and he has proven that he is a winner.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Lamar_Odom said:
Blackhole? If I'm not mistaken, Kobe led the Lakers in assists last year and most likely will lead this year in that department. Kobe does whatever it takes to win and he has proven that he is a winner.
Would that include the 7 TO's tonight?

Would that include the 7 TO's tonight?
Citing Kobe's amount of TO's in a preseason game is almost as ignorant as saying that teams that take preseason seriously should worry when they lose those games. Oy, nevermind, you did actually say that. No wonder the Suns beat the Spurs yesterday, clearly the Suns are the favorites for this year's title.

HndsmCelt said:
A little sensitive about Kobe's TO/Assist ratio eh?
Er no. I just find it funny that you pretend to know anything about basketball. I mean clearly, Suns > Spurs. Preseason tells all.

KA_2 said:
Er no. I just find it funny that you pretend to know anything about basketball. I mean clearly, Suns > Spurs. Preseason tells all.
wowowow.......slow down.....my friend..........we were on the topic of Kobe being not passing the ball........not that the pre-season game can reflex how Kobe being selfish (which he is)......for the sake of discussion, you should provide something that show Kobe being NOT selfish........not attacking another person by questioning his/her knowledge in basketball..........and at this time, no one can be 100% sure how selfish/not selfish he would be this season......but given his attitude and his actions during the summer.......I don't think anybody can argue with him having the "Me-first attitude".........

(btw, from how I respond to posts lately, seems like the Philosophy classes I took actually working........haha)

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Lamar_Odom said:
Kobe has never won squat without Shaq at his side, and quite frankly its quite obvious he still has a lot of growing up to do before he's ready to win by himself. Figure this is a throwaway year for the Lakers -- let Kobe shoot, and shoot, and force and force and kind of get it out of his system. Then after he's done Iversoning maybe you can have a talk with him in the offseason about the need to involvve teammates if he ever wants to win anything again.

P.S. Its preseason, but the Lakers results right now are certainly more telling than the Spurs results for the simple reason that you don't see th Spurs playing their starters 40+ minutes trying to win the games. Maybe its necessary to get the newly constructed team together, maybe not. But either way the regular season seems to have arrived a few weeks early for the Lakers.

P.S. it should be noted that for some bizarre reason the lakers have ALWAYS had problems with Golden State, no matter how good the Lakers were and how bad Golden State was. Much like Seattle for us. But with Kobe virtually the last of the old Lakers, you would think that would change.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
The Lakers are down 60-52 in the middle of the third quarter.

That's not why I started the thread. I just noticed a very quiet Vlade Divac, sitting in street clothes, on the end of the bench. He has his chin resting on the palm of his hand. He's not saying a word to anyone...

What a difference...

:(
Really sad to see Divac like that:(.

It's really bothersome that Lakerfans quickly cite Kobe's assist numbers as a reflection of how "unselfish" he is. When you have the most dominant human to ever play the sport of basketball taking up half the paint, and when more than 50% of your team's playbook involves dribbling up the court and passing to him, you're gonna get your assist numbers padded a little bit. I can almost guarantee that Dwayne Wade is gonna average 2-3 more apg than last season. Does this mean he has been hit with a sudden dose of unselfishness? No. It is misleading to see that Kobe dished out five or six assists a game, and conclude that he is unselfish. Watching him play shows much more than just looking at his stats. Clearly, he has a shoot-first, shoot-second, pass-third mentality. When you're as good as he is, you probably should have the green light to shoot at will (and with Rudy T as coach, Kobe WILL have that green light this season more than he ever did with Jackson).

Kobe's good, but he's a ballhog. And I think after the first month of the season, after averaging 35+ ppg (all the while leading his team to a .500 record, but thats not important), it's going to get more into his egotistical mind that he is "the man" and he will continually jack up his errant shots when he has one, maybe even two teammates wide open.

If any Lakerfans can show evidence of Kobe being unselfish OTHER than his mighty assist numbers, I would greatly appreciate it.

So who is unselfish in the league, can you point out some one who is unselfish in the kings team

Interesting to see the kings fans pound on the number of minutes the starters played for the lakers ;), we do tend to forget the past dont we ;)

vladetomiller said:
So who is unselfish in the league, can you point out some one who is unselfish in the kings team

Interesting to see the kings fans pound on the number of minutes the starters played for the lakers ;), we do tend to forget the past dont we ;)
How bout I do you one better and name one on the Lakers: Mr. Vlade Divac?

And who would I consider unselfish? Let's see... Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Tony Paker, Tim Duncan, etc, etc. There are plenty of unselfish players in this league. Kobe Bean just isn't one of them.

JayBird said:
It's really bothersome that Lakerfans quickly cite Kobe's assist numbers as a reflection of how "unselfish" he is. When you have the most dominant human to ever play the sport of basketball taking up half the paint, and when more than 50% of your team's playbook involves dribbling up the court and passing to him, you're gonna get your assist numbers padded a little bit. I can almost guarantee that Dwayne Wade is gonna average 2-3 more apg than last season. Does this mean he has been hit with a sudden dose of unselfishness? No. It is misleading to see that Kobe dished out five or six assists a game, and conclude that he is unselfish. Watching him play shows much more than just looking at his stats. Clearly, he has a shoot-first, shoot-second, pass-third mentality. When you're as good as he is, you probably should have the green light to shoot at will (and with Rudy T as coach, Kobe WILL have that green light this season more than he ever did with Jackson).

Kobe's good, but he's a ballhog. And I think after the first month of the season, after averaging 35+ ppg (all the while leading his team to a .500 record, but thats not important), it's going to get more into his egotistical mind that he is "the man" and he will continually jack up his errant shots when he has one, maybe even two teammates wide open.

If any Lakerfans can show evidence of Kobe being unselfish OTHER than his mighty assist numbers, I would greatly appreciate it.
Considering he probably handles the ball on every single possesion and the offense runs through him I would assume his assists will go up.

Ryle said:
Considering he probably handles the ball on every single possesion and the offense runs through him I would assume his assists will go up.
I don't think that's a safe assumption though, cuz instead of dishing to guys like Shaq (57% fg) and Karl, he's gotta look for the likes of Mihm and Slava. How many times will his teammates let him down before he decides the only way to win is through Kobe and Kobe alone. Did you see him with Cook last night after Cook blew a play? It looked like he was gonna cry!

JayBird said:
It's really bothersome that Lakerfans quickly cite Kobe's assist numbers as a reflection of how "unselfish" he is. When you have the most dominant human to ever play the sport of basketball taking up half the paint, and when more than 50% of your team's playbook involves dribbling up the court and passing to him, you're gonna get your assist numbers padded a little bit.
On the other hand, most of Kobe's detractors claimed he was selfish because he went 3:1 instead of passing to Shaq. Which is the truth?

And why doesn't Kobe's assist averaging seem to precipitously plummet when Shaq doesn't play?

JayBird said:
How bout I do you one better and name one on the Lakers: Mr. Vlade Divac?

And who would I consider unselfish? Let's see... Mike Bibby, Doug Christie, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Tony Paker, Tim Duncan, etc, etc. There are plenty of unselfish players in this league. Kobe Bean just isn't one of them.
It's bothersome that people bring up Kobe's assist stats because it's difficult to reconcile why he's averaged .1 less than the leading SG over the past 6 seasons if he's truly a ballhog.

Double-K said:
well.........even if they really did what u said........that doesn't necessary equal to chemistry.........the whole Lakers starters this yr is new........with the exception of..........well.............ehh................................. (asking my brother:"who's left Lakers and who's not?"..............yeah, shaq left, malone's not playing this yr, fox retired, fisher went fishing in Golden State, Gary's with Pierce now.......) so...............the exception would be......
K.O.B.E.!!! right!! the only starter last yr left in Lakers is KOBE!!

if 4 of the 5 starters in a team changed, to say they would have a hard time getting chemistry with each other is an understatement. Not to mention Kobe ala "Basketball Blackhole" wouldn't sharing the ball this time around........(I mean come on, it's the only reason why Kobe want to get rid of shaq.....)
Ah, I didn't realize you were using your baiting skills learned from psych class. I must use my reverse psychology tactic of ignoring your future posts.

Lakers still have several holes that need addressed. Its pretty impossible to go through what LA did this off season and have a complete team. They lack solid outside shooting from the guard positions. Rush can help some once he's back but he's not consistant. Losing Banks back to Boston hurt because at the moment they lack anyone that can play average d at the 1 spot. Sasha clearly helps when he's in the game but Claxton blew by him at will forcing the defense to rotate leaving GS shooters open. I would still like one more solid big man (not sold yet on Medvedenko) but hopefully Vlade can help fill that need once he's back.