Vlade?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Actually, it would be funny if he did return and help coach in that capacity - the Lakers would actually be financially susidizing the Kings' coaching....

Kinda be a last laugh at the Lakers, wouldn't it? :)

I agree that it would be great to bring him back as an assistant coach, but to pay him to come back as a player wouldn't be smart and I doubt GP would go for it. His knowlege of the game and locker room motivation would make him a great coach, and maybe that long-term inspiration that Peja needs to get back into his groove. But as a player, I just don't see it happening.

piksi

Hall of Famer
I think that he is pretty much done as a player.

However, saying that - I would feel much better if we had him now (healthy), no matter how slow he might have been.

Vlade could be a nice addition to the team next year as an insurance policy. Lets face it, Brad gets hurt every year so it would be nice to have a guy be able to come out and put in 20 minutes a game when Brad is out and run this offense because he still knows it better then anyone else on the Kings current roster. Vlade is the best passing point gaurd this team has ever had!!

piksi

Hall of Famer
KKSloga said:
Vlade could be a nice addition to the team next year as an insurance policy. Lets face it, Brad gets hurt every year so it would be nice to have a guy be able to come out and put in 20 minutes a game when Brad is out and run this offense because he still knows it better then anyone else on the Kings current roster. Vlade is the best passing point gaurd this team has ever had!!
he is also 73 years old

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Diehard Jim said:
it is not about age with vlade, it is the fact vlade is one of the nicest guys in basketball
When you're being asked to keep up with Amare Stoudamire, being nice doesn't help much.

Warhawk

Staff member
Bricklayer said:
When you're being asked to keep up with Amare Stoudamire, being nice doesn't help much.
True, but what has Daniels done against Amare?

Again, I wasn't thinking about him starting or anything, maybe a couple minutes a game here and there or as an emergency backup (11th or 12th man). Heck, keep him on injured reserve for stretches if he's not needed for most of the season. I think the intangibles he could bring would be worth it, again for say the vets minimum and retire his jersey at the end of the year and keep him as an assistant coach for the big men (like Houston has for Yao with Ewing).

It's really easy to fall in love with the idea of bringing Vlade back now that Brad is out and RA can't/won't use Tag. As 11th/12th man on veteran's minimum or something along those lines. I still say, do it only and only as an assistant coach first. We shouldn't pay people 1mil+ a year just because they are well liked around here and have history with the team. We can spend that money on the next GP discovery/diamond in the rough type of player (even though the risk is greater).

So, if Vlade wants to come and work with our bigs and earn that veteran's minum that way, while still registered player I say it is worthy experiment for a year. If he gets to play - that means we're really in trouble again.

But he really needs to want it badly and bring it as an assistant, and that is really for Vlade, RA and GP to figure out.

Warhawk

Staff member
bozzwell said:
It's really easy to fall in love with the idea of bringing Vlade back now that Brad is out and RA can't/won't use Tag. As 11th/12th man on veteran's minimum or something along those lines. I still say, do it only and only as an assistant coach first. We shouldn't pay people 1mil+ a year just because they are well liked around here and have history with the team. We can spend that money on the next GP discovery/diamond in the rough type of player (even though the risk is greater).

So, if Vlade wants to come and work with our bigs and earn that veteran's minum that way, while still registered player I say it is worthy experiment for a year. If he gets to play - that means we're really in trouble again.

But he really needs to want it badly and bring it as an assistant, and that is really for Vlade, RA and GP to figure out.
Is that what Daniels is? :)

That is what I was talking about - 1 year at the vets minimum and then he retires, as planned.

Not being argumentative, but the $$$ difference between having Daniels on the bench and Vlade on the bench wouldn't be that great, and I'd much rather have Vlade on the floor in an emergency when we need a bucket....

Warhawk said:
I know it was mentioned / discussed before, but I was just watching a bit of the Laker game and the commentators mentioned that the Lakers probably won't pick up Vlade's contract extension for next year and he has expressed interest in playing one more year, preferably with the Kings.

If he would sign for the veteran's minimum, would anyone like to see him return as a 3rd string C / (un)official assistant coach to the younger guys? The Tag thing doesn't seem to be working out with RA and passing big men are hard to find. I think for minimal $$$ he could be an asset to have on the bench for situations such as that we are in right now....

Any thoughts?
The Lakers don't have the option not to re-sign him. It's Vlade's option. Most likely, he'll be traded as an expiring K this offseason (or I'll go to bed in a sleeping bag full of tarantulas and harvestmen). Then, the new team buys him out at $2 mill and they save $3 mill off of their cap. Then, he becomes a free agent.

Warhawk said:
Actually, it would be funny if he did return and help coach in that capacity - the Lakers would actually be financially susidizing the Kings' coaching....

Kinda be a last laugh at the Lakers, wouldn't it? :)
Would be nice but isn't the rivalry kinda dead now:confused: .. nobody really talks about it anymore. Mainly because Shaq left the Lakers and Vlade came there. Well, Vlade was one of our good passers you can't forget about that.

I like the idea of bringing Vlade back (for the right price...always). I remember Kareem's last season (and his son singing the US national anthem -- shudder) he looked like he needed a walker he was so slow but he still got his points and was a big part of the Lakers. You just don't replace a talent like that no matter how old he is. Now Vlade is no Kareem (as he well knows) but he's a very good and smart basketball player that knows our system. And the man can turn it on and off like a tap (and personally I felt he turned the tap off last year not that he faded after he was bumped to backup).

Warhawk said:
I know it was mentioned / discussed before, but I was just watching a bit of the Laker game and the commentators mentioned that the Lakers probably won't pick up Vlade's contract extension for next year and he has expressed interest in playing one more year, preferably with the Kings.

If he would sign for the veteran's minimum, would anyone like to see him return as a 3rd string C / (un)official assistant coach to the younger guys? The Tag thing doesn't seem to be working out with RA and passing big men are hard to find. I think for minimal $$$ he could be an asset to have on the bench for situations such as that we are in right now....

Any thoughts?
I think bringing Vlade in for the '05/'06 season would be a real good way to encourage Peja to resign. It would be better if it were the '06/'07 season, so it could have a direct impact on Peja, but if we bring in Vlade for his final season and get him to help recruit players, that would be keen.

This is a ridiculous thread. Some of you have a hard time realizing that Vlade is done as a player. We don't need Vlade, I can't see how he could help us???

There is a post about this thread on one of the lakers boards. Asides from the usual Kings bashings.....there was one reply that i agree with: "king's fans think with their hearts not their minds." for most parts i would have to agree with this assesment. This thread is an excelent example.

Vlade is done, let it go people...

Gargamel said:
The Lakers don't have the option not to re-sign him. It's Vlade's option. Most likely, he'll be traded as an expiring K this offseason (or I'll go to bed in a sleeping bag full of tarantulas and harvestmen). Then, the new team buys him out at $2 mill and they save $3 mill off of their cap. Then, he becomes a free agent.
Ain't that a beautiful thing. Even in Lakers uni, Vlade is still a King and giving LAL royal rogering.

Sweet.

i would bring back vlade because that would make peja happy.. i think this will help peja regain his all star form and help keep peja resigned to a long term contract... after next year, vlade can become one of our assistant coaches... vlade is much more loved here in sacto, while he is just another face in LA...

BullKing said:
There is a post about this thread on one of the lakers boards. Asides from the usual Kings bashings.....there was one reply that i agree with: "king's fans think with their hearts not their minds." for most parts i would have to agree with this assesment. This thread is an excelent example.
It was Variant who said that. He should post more here. I like ol Variant.

bozzwell said:
Ain't that a beautiful thing. Even in Lakers uni, Vlade is still a King and giving LAL royal rogering.

Sweet.
Not so fast. The only way he harms LA is if they don't trade him. He doesn't have a no-trade clause. However, he'll get paid regardless of the path LA takes. When they trade him and he's cut, he is then free to sign with Sac if he wants. Think of Vlade as a walking, wheezing $3 million rebate.

PS: If I am forced to spend a night in a sleeping bag full of tarantulas, I can make a call to scottstarantulas as advertised atop the page I'm viewing right now. What the heck is that?! I thought the Laker ticket ads were strange enough. ;)

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
Really be carefull about what you say there are some bets you just do not want to risk looseing and some experikences that I would not wish on any one including a Laker fan.

HndsmCelt said:
Really be carefull about what you say there are some bets you just do not want to risk looseing and some experikences that I would not wish on any one including a Laker fan.
I ain't fraid of no spider. ;) Actually, I think the worst part would be sleeping outdoors. I'm not the wildery type. I find it curious that some would choose the ground over a Sealy mattress, but that's just me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BullKing said:
This is a ridiculous thread. Some of you have a hard time realizing that Vlade is done as a player. We don't need Vlade, I can't see how he could help us???

Vlade is done, let it go people...
If you think it's a ridiculous thread, then just move on. We have a wide variety of threads here and people can choose for themselves which ones to participate in and which ones to ignore.

Gargamel said:
Not so fast. The only way he harms LA is if they don't trade him. He doesn't have a no-trade clause. However, he'll get paid regardless of the path LA takes. When they trade him and he's cut, he is then free to sign with Sac if he wants. Think of Vlade as a walking, wheezing $3 million rebate.

PS: If I am forced to spend a night in a sleeping bag full of tarantulas, I can make a call to scottstarantulas as advertised atop the page I'm viewing right now. What the heck is that?! I thought the Laker ticket ads were strange enough. ;)
Maybe it is too early for schaudenfraude, but when Vlade signed with LA, I had this fear that he will have just enough in the tank to put you over this year - as a team glue if not as a starting center. Now, I am at peace with Vlade in LAL uni (or rather street clothes).