Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

I just don't get what the Celtics have to offer here. They're not going to send us Kemba (not a great fit with Fox anyway), they're not going to send Brown, they're not going to send Tatum. They also don't have any first round picks except their own, which will be late picks for the foreseeable future. Nesmith has shown basically nothing so far, so I don't see how he's terribly enticing.

OK, but how about this. Here's perhaps the only way to structure this that gets me vaguely interested. We make two simultaneous trades.

#1: Barnes to the Celtics for a portion of their trade exception (via Hayward) and some combination of picks.
#2: Cojo to the Celtics for Smart and Robert Williams

So ultimately, the deal ends up being Barnes/CoJo for Smart/Williams/picks. Here Smart is our upgrade on CoJo, and Williams comes in as a bench player that rebounds and blocks shots and stays out of the way on offense.

Still, I think this is a pretty big L for us as CoJo isn't that huge of an anchor (he's gone after this year) and Barnes is a major piece and really our only legitimate full-size wing. How do we replace Barnes? How many picks in the 20s make this deal worthwhile? I really don't think the Celtics can offer much more value than that. And look, we're in playoff position right now. Maybe that falls apart later but right now, why do we sell? The right move seems to be to KEEP Barnes and figure out how to improve around a core of Fox/Hali/Barnes/Bagley (yes, Bagley), potentially using Hield's value to supplement that in a trade - but a value-for-value trade, not a salary dump like some seem to think is appropriate. Holmes seems to like it here, Whiteside seems to like it here, so let's hope we can re-sign those two to hold down the paint.

I guess the recent stretch of wins has me optimistic again, but trading Barnes to the Celtics looks like a tanking move any way the C's try to play it, and I'm not really interested (unless they want to put Tatum on the table ;)).
Langford, Nesmith, and an unprotected first. Bet on some of their youth, who haven't performed yet.

Or Pritchard for Barnes. Pritchard is going to be a player. Though I suspect Boston says no.

Trade deadline is March 25th. We currently have 13 games scheduled until March 4th. I assume we will play approximately 9 more games between the 4th and the 25th which gives us around 22 games to see what we have with this team. If we go say 8-14, Barnes, Buddy or Holmes will probably be traded. If we go 12-10 we would be right in the thick of things and would more than likely hold on to our guys for a crack at the playoffs. I'd like to see us go 13-9 and head to the trade deadline at 25-20.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Langford, Nesmith, and an unprotected first. Bet on some of their youth, who haven't performed yet.

Or Pritchard for Barnes. Pritchard is going to be a player. Though I suspect Boston says no.
Well, aside from the fact that neither of those trades work as a salary cap matter without some form of additional pieces, those are both highway robbery for the Celtics. Do they want Fox and Haliburton thrown in too?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Trading Barnes is a tank move. Unless the team goes on a 10 game skid there's no call for that unless we had done it at the start of the season. But like I said, I like Barnes here. He may not be "on the timeline" but not every player is.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, aside from the fact that neither of those trades work as a salary cap matter without some form of additional pieces, those are both highway robbery for the Celtics. Do they want Fox and Haliburton thrown in too?
”Here, take some of our crappy young players who haven’t performed well at all for us. In exc hanger, we’d like the third best player on your team please.”

”Here, take some of our crappy young players who haven’t performed well at all for us. In exc hanger, we’d like the third best player on your team please.”
Some of the Boston trade scenarios over the years have been really annoying, the war chest. Some people even acted like Fab Melo had some value.

They are even worse than the 76er speculators.

Anyone have an interest in seeing what Blake Griffin has left in the tank? He can mentor Bags and give us another option on offense when Fox is cold. I’m guessing we can get him for something like Buddy and a couple 2nd rounders.

Anyone have an interest in seeing what Blake Griffin has left in the tank? He can mentor Bags and give us another option on offense when Fox is cold. I’m guessing we can get him for something like Buddy and a couple 2nd rounders.
Came here to ask the same thing. Intrigued, but haven’t seen him play in quite some time.

Came here to ask the same thing. Intrigued, but haven’t seen him play in quite some time.
From what I remember he was quite the passer for a big man? Might not have a lot left as far as speed and ability to dunk over a car but his presence on the floor might help elevate some of our younger playmakers

Dude's completely fallen off. He still has skills but man, he's even struggling to put up empty stats now. Maybe he's not trying or something but no thanks.

griffin has 36,5 mil. salary this season and 39 mil. next season

so, they can give us saddiq bey, 2021 first round pick and collect anyone from our roster, except fox and hali. and some second rounders, why not...
Hows Saddiq Bey looking so far? I know there was a lot of talk around here about him being a good pick at 12. I wasn’t keen but he certainly showed a balanced skill set and has good size for a forward.

Hows Saddiq Bey looking so far? I know there was a lot of talk around here about him being a good pick at 12. I wasn’t keen but he certainly showed a balanced skill set and has good size for a forward.
Started the season pretty poorly but has really turned it up the last week. Even had a 30pt game in there.

Started the season pretty poorly but has really turned it up the last week. Even had a 30pt game in there.
Thanks for that. Pre lottery I got the idea he could be a nice 4th or so option someday for a decent team, but an unexciting pick for Sac.
We got lucky, and glad Saddiq is showing good promise.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yanmeyjr

Adjust the trade a bit so we would only have to cut 2 guys. I would cut Justin James and Jabari Parker, not in rotation or future plan.

The real targets are cap space and Nassir Little.
Ramsey is arguably a more valuable asset than Little at this point. If we’re trading Barnes, it’s gotta be for more than cap space and the odd tweener struggling to find playing time on a team that has barely managed to scrape together enough healthy players to field a team especially if we’re trading him to a team in-conference.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
The trade proposal is interesting. He hasn’t been healthy for a while but I do like Zach Collins as he can stretch the floor which is always a good thing for Fox.

I think we keep an eye on Boston and Nesmith and their other youngish prospects. Nesmith had a big game the other day and is seemingly getting more minutes.