Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

I'm pretty sure that we could have picked up the option to guarantee the final season on his contract and then traded him. Option deadlines are the last day action can be taken, not the only day action can be taken.
We probably could have moved him to Utah for Davis and the 23d, or later when they traded back to the 27th

I'm pretty sure that we could have picked up the option to guarantee the final season on his contract and then traded him. Option deadlines are the last day action can be taken, not the only day action can be taken.
Details and then more damned details..... the two of you are pretty good at catching the small things.

Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
Sources say the Sacramento Kings have explored trades for Nemanja Bjelica, whose role has been reduced as part of GM Monte McNair's plan to rebuild around De'Aaron Fox. sacbee.com/sports/article…

I wonder what trades they have "explored."
We should of sold high on draft night, that said it is probably one of the reasons he has been out of the rotation. Using the term "rebuild" a poker tell that there is other trade talks too.

We should of sold high on draft night, that said it is probably one of the reasons he has been out of the rotation. Using the term "rebuild" a poker tell that there is other trade talks too.
In the little bit of the Bee that can be read on Hoopshype, it indicates that they did try to trade him during the draft and is expected to continue trying.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Lonzo Ball seems to be a bit of a tough fit in terms of designing a trade around him. It's almost as if for a Kings/Pelicans trade involving Lonzo there's no middle-ground trade where we would be able to agree on equal value. We wouldn't trade Fox or Haliburton to get him, and although some on here would do it, I would say (and I trust our front office would say) that trading Bagley for Lonzo would also be a very bad idea. So with probably one exception, we don't have anything that New Orleans would want that we'd be willing to let go. And they're not going to trade him for scraps.

The player they might want is Buddy Hield, as they badly need three point shooting. Salaries don't match, so a trade would probably have to be Buddy+James for Lonzo+Redick. But at that point, we've sent away four years of Buddy for one year of Lonzo and we would seem to have lost the trade badly so we'll need to get picks back. New Orleans has picks to give, but are they going to want to give them?

If a trade like that happened, I imagine that Lonzo would fit in reasonably well, we'd have a primary guard rotation of Fox/Hali/Lonzo with Hali/Lonzo getting a lot of minutes as a 3 as well, with Barnes spending a good amount of time in the 4.

Something like:
PG: Fox (35), CoJo (8), Hali (5)
SG: Hali (28), Ball (9), CoJo (8)
SF: Barnes (17), Ball (23), GRIII/Redick (8)
PF: Bagley (31), Barnes (17)
C: Holmes (28), Whiteside/Metu (20)

Would put us on a nine-man rotation after a Buddy/Ball trade. That's probably how something like that would work out.

If a trade like that happened, I imagine that Lonzo would fit in reasonably well, we'd have a primary guard rotation of Fox/Hali/Lonzo with Hali/Lonzo getting a lot of minutes as a 3 as well, with Barnes spending a good amount of time at the four.
This is assuming Ball is ok with a reserve role long term. My guess is he is not.

Fox, Haliburton, and Ball is interesting. Flawed in certain ways but interesting. Get one of those point F's in the next draft and you have the ultimate multi playmaker team. Bagley might average 30 points a game on pick and roll alone.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This is assuming Ball is ok with a reserve role long term. My guess is he is not.
I don't know, I mean I was offering him 32 minutes a game "off the bench" so if it really matters to him that he's in the starting lineup, we could bring Haliburton off the bench for a year or two. I figure that's the kind of lineup where you start with Barnes/Bagley/Holmes and then you run the last 6 minutes of the game with whatever's working, so I assume Fox/Ball/Hali would close out games together pretty often.

Where do you see him fitting into the lineup?
He could play the 2/3 or come off the bench. I’m not as worried about fit with Ball, because he’s a connector. Have been beating this drum, but if you love Hali, you’ll love Ball. Worse shooter, better rebounder, better on the ball defense, about same as a passer/vision. Both move the ball exceptionally quick. The Kings would be a really tough team to play against since all three (Fox...) could create and pass.

Kelly Oubre Jr is available. I think this team is missing a long disruptive wing that can generates steals and deflections. Last year we had Ariza then Bazemore, but this year we have no one. It is a big reason why this team is so bad at forcing TOV.

I don't think we have enough to trade for Oubre. Go after him at the end of this year. Would be a great fit, defensively.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kelly Oubre Jr is available. I think this team is missing a long disruptive wing that can generates steals and deflections. Last year we had Ariza then Bazemore, but this year we have no one. It is a big reason why this team is so bad at forcing TOV.

I don't think we have enough to trade for Oubre. Go after him at the end of this year. Would be a great fit, defensively.
There is a reason team after team seems to try to dump him at the first available opportunity. I’m not sure exactly what it is but at this point, it’s concerning.

He’s so inconsistent and appears to think himself a star. If he committed to being a glue guy, he could be really useful. Of course, he would be a different person. His 3 point shooting is trash - which we should stay away from at the 3.