Tokyo Olympics: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
UPDATE: Golf has been temporarily suspended, due to lightning risk. Nelly Korda (USA) is clinging to a one-stroke lead, through sixteen holes.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States wins the women's 4x400 relay, earning Allyson Felix a gold medal, and her eleventh career medal, overall, in her final Olympic race. Her teammates in the final were 400m hurdles gold and silver medalists Sydney McLaughlin and Daliliah Muhammad, as well as 800m gold medalist Achting Mu.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Also happening while I was sleeping, United States smashed Spain in the final of women's water polo, but Kyle Snyder was defeated in the men's freestyle < 97kg final.

4-for-5, with two still being contested, and one to go. Barring a miracle, USA is going to come up short on both of those other two (baseball/women's high jump), as well.

On the bright side, China surprisingly only went 1-for-3, in the events they were favored to win (although they did pick up an unexpected canoe gold)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States wins the men's 4x400m relay. Botswana wins bronze, with an Area Record, earning only their second Olympic medal in the country's history.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Mariya Lasitskene (ROC) wins gold in the women's high jump. Vashti Cunningham (USA) finished in sixth.

USA finishes 5-for-8, but gains three on China, putting the Gold Medal lead back in play.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
BREAKING: Japan defeats United States in baseball, 2-0.
I was hoping Japan would win the gold as the host country. I tried to get up for this one but my work schedule didn't cooperate. Looks like it was a good game though as the US team brought the tying run to the plate in the bottom of the 9th. I was going to say "our own" Nick Allen got three hits in the game including a 2-out hit in the 9th inning but then I remembered this is a Kings fan board and not everyone here is an Oakland A's fan.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Team USA's best Gold Medal prospects tonight:

Basketball

• Women's 5x5 (#1 seed)

Boxing

• Keyshawn Davis (men's lightweight)
  • Richard Torrez, Jr. (men's super-heavyweight)

Indoor Volleyball

• Women's volleyball (#2 seed)

============================

There are still thirteen gold medals remaining to be handed out on the last day of competition. United States is in contention for six of them, and favored in at least two (women's basketball, super-heavyweight boxing). China is in contention for four of them, and is favored in one (women's middleweight boxing). USA needs to outperform China by two gold medals, in order to move into a tie atop the Gold Medal count.

There are only two events in which both United States and China have a competitor involved (men's marathon, women's omnium track cycling), and neither country is expected to medal in either event.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Eliud Kipchoge (KEN) wins the men's marathon. Galen Rupp (USA) was hanging around in medal contention for most of the race, but faded down the stretch, finishing in eighth.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: Serbia beats Republic of Korea in straight sets, to win the bronze medal in women's indoor volleyball. The gold medal match between Brazil and United States is scheduled to start at approximately 12:30 AM ET.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Any Japanese team reaching the finals of a basketball tournament is a miracle on its own.
I'd have given Japan a shot, with fans in the arena. As it is, they've only got a chance, if Dawn Staley out-coaches herself. Which, if you watched any of the pool play games, is totally a thing that could happen.

Any Japanese team reaching the finals of a basketball tournament is a miracle on its own.
Graphic at the start: Team USA average height - 6'2" Team Japan average height - 5'9" I thought would be even greater disparity with USA having 6'8" center and Japan's best player 5'4" PG.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Also, at the risk of being salacious, I couldn't help but notice that I haven't seen Kara Lawson wearing a wedding band, during this entire Olympics, even though, according to Doctor Internet, she and D-Lo are still married.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
No disrespect to Japan, but if United States were playing against a better team, I'd be worried. USA has the deepest team in the world, and Dawn Staley is only going eight deep. Between that, and some questionable offensive schemes, she's basically out-coaching herself. If the size/talent gap weren't so overwhelming, this'd be a two or three-possession game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
BREAKING: United States defeats Japan, 90-75, for the gold medal in 5x5 women's basketball. It's their seventh consecutive Olympic gold medal, and their fifty-fifth consecutive win in Olympic play.

Japan's silver medal is their first-ever medal in women's basketball.