Tokyo Olympics: The Thread (OPEN SPOILERS, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Man, these Olympics are going to be brutal for me: the last time the Games were held this many time zones away from me, I was still in my early thirties. I don't have the stamina to be staying up until zero-dark-thirty, to be watching this ****, anymore.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
One of Laos' flagbearers competes in track and field. Which is a reminder that for, like, ninety percent of these athletes, the "win" is just getting to the Olympics, itself.

It's also a head trip to be reminded, every four years, that the countries are introduced in alphabetical order, but not necessarily the English alphabet, and not in the order of how the US spells these countries names.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I watched the latter third of this Opening Ceremony, earlier today but, watching it again, when I'm not half-sleep, seeing the host nation walk into the stadium to dead silence is... not wassup.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Whoever decided everyone had to wear full suits when they marched into the stadium has obviously never had the pleasure of enjoying the miserable inferno that is a Tokyo summer.

One of Laos' flagbearers competes in track and field. Which is a reminder that for, like, ninety percent of these athletes, the "win" is just getting to the Olympics, itself.

It's also a head trip to be reminded, every four years, that the countries are introduced in alphabetical order, but not necessarily the English alphabet, and not in the order of how the US spells these countries names.
Correct way to pluralize Laos (officially Lao Democratic Peoples Republic) not Laos' but... "One of the Lao..." or "One of the Laotian..." The country misnamed by France when they colonized and ruled French Indochina (Lao, Cambodia, Viet Nam). Lao was always the name of the land locked ancient kingdom, not Laos. Simply put, French colonial masters messed up and every one just went along with spelling error to this day. But not the Lao people who do not refer to their country as Laos but Lao (LDPR). I've been there, several times and one of my favorite places on the planet is stunning, magical, ancient capital Luang Prabang.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Rich Eisen and Kenny Mayne back talking about the Olympics on NBC Sports because Sportscenter when I was a kid was the best Sportscenter #RIPStuartScott

The Olympics are the best!

Woke up at 3 AM yesterday, started with beach volleyball, continued the morning watching some 3 x 3 basketball action. TV started a live feed from road race event (love this sport it's so interesting, but especially in Olympics, because there are no teams, riders can't really have some pre-race tactics, because there is no team with 9 people like in Tour de France or Giro d'Italia, where every single one has a task what they need to do in the particular race, riders from all over the world form a collaborative with other nations riders during the race, it's just incredible). And ended my day with some fencing, judo, table tennis, tennis, and classic volleyball, where Iran made one of the biggest upsets in volleyball history by beating defending World Champions Poland! Just love it!

I'm already pumped for day 2!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
USA gave up a bases-loaded walk, to fall behind in the top of the 8th, but scored two in the bottom of the 8th, to beat AUS 2-1, in extra innings.

France ended game on 16-2 run to take down USA
First loss since 2004
Gobert(14)Nando de Colo(13), Fournier(28) kicked our butt
Holiday(18),Durant(10),Lillard(11) all under 40% shooting
Maybe we can beat Iran in next game?

Last edited:
After all the sound and fury, Skinner’s Olympics are done. Had one of the best overall meets of her life, but got 2-pered out of the events finals.

I’ll be glad in Paris when we return to five person teams, and eliminate this awkward “competing as an individual” experiment.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That's a tough break for her, but it sounds like she would have been "2-pered" out of the events finals, even if they still had five-person teams. It sucks that she doesn't get a chance at a team medal, though.