There is no topic

Circles are easy, but good job :)
I have just recently found an enthusiasm for math, and I'm 26 years old. Honestly, I pulled down straight D's in high school, the furthest I ever cared to delve into math was basic geometry. I didn't plan to go to college, so I never took the SAT's or ACT's. Now I'm in college and I struggle a little, but it seems to be probably one of the coolest things ever (even though I'm surrounded by disinterested 19 year olds in this remedial class). Just the price I have to pay, I guess. :D

Wow, that's alot and I do mean alot. Even at the dealership, the oil change is $24.99.
Its through the dealership. They say its a "service" (my car tells me when I'm "due" for the specific service) .....I know they do other stuff, but mainly its an oil change.

I'm looking online at tire prices-I'm going to need to work some overtime. :eek: Anyone have any tire recommendations?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Its through the dealership. They say its a "service" (my car tells me when I'm "due" for the specific service) .....I know they do other stuff, but mainly its an oil change.

I'm looking online at tire prices-I'm going to need to work some overtime. :eek: Anyone have any tire recommendations?
A couple things - what kind of car?

I have had good luck checking pricing and reviews here:

http://www.tirerack.com/

And Big O tires will match the price.

Personally, I just put Bridgestone Radial Long Trail T/A (Tour) on my 2006 F-150 not long ago. Got over 75,000 miles out of my last set of those on my previous F-150 (2002) and really like them. So if you have an SUV/light truck, take a look at them.

$314 for an oil change!!!!!!

:mad:

And I need new tires and front brakes.

Sometimes I wish I lived in a big city, like NY where I would not need a car.
I'm not sure what your make and model is, but oil changes are very easy to perform at home, provided you have the appropriate wrenches (and a basic understanding of what you're doing and why). All you need is the replacement oil, an oil filter, a pan to collect the used oil, and some ramps to drive up if your vehicle is too low to crawl underneath. Usually, you can get away with every other oil change at home (because you're right, when you get it done professionally, there is more involved). I did mine a few weeks ago, couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes.

I have just recently found an enthusiasm for math, and I'm 26 years old. Honestly, I pulled down straight D's in high school, the furthest I ever cared to delve into math was basic geometry. I didn't plan to go to college, so I never took the SAT's or ACT's. Now I'm in college and I struggle a little, but it seems to be probably one of the coolest things ever (even though I'm surrounded by disinterested 19 year olds in this remedial class). Just the price I have to pay, I guess. :D
Hey, I'm impressed!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I'm not sure what your make and model is, but oil changes are very easy to perform at home, provided you have the appropriate wrenches (and a basic understanding of what you're doing and why). All you need is the replacement oil, an oil filter, a pan to collect the used oil, and some ramps to drive up if your vehicle is too low to crawl underneath. Usually, you can get away with every other oil change at home (because you're right, when you get it done professionally, there is more involved). I did mine a few weeks ago, couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes.
Oh, is that all? :eek:

I'm a computer guy; I don't know **** about cars. To quote Hedberg, "If my car won't start, and the gas tank does not say 'E,' I'm ****ed."

Oh, is that all? :eek:

I'm a computer guy; I don't know **** about cars. To quote Hedberg, "If my car won't start, and the gas tank does not say 'E,' I'm ****ed."
really? oh wow, I'm kinda shocked by this. I am forever greatful to my dad that he insisted we(my bro, sis and I) all learn basic car maintenance.

Reina- America's Tire Store is really good too.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
That would have been difficult for my dad to do, since I more or less refused to drive until I was twenty-two, and had no interest in cars whatsoever... In fact, the thing that finally made me break down and get my drivers license was the fact that my ex-wife had to drive herself to the hospital when she went into labor.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I love cars and yet I hate working on them. I don't know why. If I ever had space the idea of restoring a car always seems fun but when it comes to simple stuff, I can do an oil change but I'd rather pay someone else to do it.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
A couple things - what kind of car?

I have had good luck checking pricing and reviews here:

http://www.tirerack.com/

And Big O tires will match the price.

Personally, I just put Bridgestone Radial Long Trail T/A (Tour) on my 2006 F-150 not long ago. Got over 75,000 miles out of my last set of those on my previous F-150 (2002) and really like them. So if you have an SUV/light truck, take a look at them.
I want to second tirerack.com. They ship directly to an installer who has a good install price, and they're usually a smaller car repair place that will pay attention to detail.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
really? oh wow, I'm kinda shocked by this. I am forever greatful to my dad that he insisted we(my bro, sis and I) all learn basic car maintenance.

Reina- America's Tire Store is really good too.
I used to do my own but oil disposal is kind of a pain (containerizing and transportation for disposal to a place that will take it), so now I just take it in.

I love cars and yet I hate working on them. I don't know why. If I ever had space the idea of restoring a car always seems fun but when it comes to simple stuff, I can do an oil change but I'd rather pay someone else to do it.
This is about where I am with the whole thing. I love the idea of having a project car, but... certainly it would cut into my already thin video game time. And we just can't have that.

That would have been difficult for my dad to do, since I more or less refused to drive until I was twenty-two, and had no interest in cars whatsoever... In fact, the thing that finally made me break down and get my drivers license was the fact that my ex-wife had to drive herself to the hospital when she went into labor.
You're a strange cat, Slim. I got my DL the day I turned 16. At the time, being able to drive was the single most important objective in my life. Pretty much the same for everyone else I've ever known.

You're not from around here, are you?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You're a strange cat, Slim. I got my DL the day I turned 16. At the time, being able to drive was the single most important objective in my life. Pretty much the same for everyone else I've ever known.

You're not from around here, are you?
When you're young, and full of vim and vigor, you feel like you can run anywhere...

And that's exactly what I did.

There was no place I cared to go to that was more than ten miles away and, when I was in my teens/early twenties, I would simply walk and/or run that. And, since I didn't actually date until after I joined the navy, I didn't have any other motivation to want to drive.

I didn't get my license until I was 21. And the only reason I did was because, for the first time in my life, I lived somewhere with horrible public transportation.

Getting it in high school wasn't a possibility, mostly for financial reasons, but in SoCal there really wasn't anywhere I needed to go that couldn't be reached by bus. Or by a friend with a car if I was really living it up. When I went up to college at 18, I was living in the Bay Area and my social life was in San Francisco. If I'd had a car then, I would have likely left it behind and used BART anyway.

In the years since, I've become very reliant on my car. But I'm not terribly happy about that fact. I'll be walking distance to both school and the street car when I move to New Orleans in June and I'm really looking forward to using my car only for grocery trips and running errands.

Incidentally, I wrote, completely, a 12 page paper, including an appendix of images, full end notes, and a bibliography, proofread, printed, went to campus and turned it in all between last night at 10:00 PM and today at 4:00 PM. That's gotta be some kind of record.

When you're young, and full of vim and vigor, you feel like you can run anywhere...

There was no place I cared to go to that was more than ten miles away and, when I was in my teens/early twenties, I would simply walk and/or run that. And, since I didn't actually date until after I joined the navy, I didn't have any other motivation to want to drive.
I didn't get my license until I was 21. And the only reason I did was because, for the first time in my life, I lived somewhere with horrible public transportation.

Getting it in high school wasn't a possibility, mostly for financial reasons, but in SoCal there really wasn't anywhere I needed to go that couldn't be reached by bus. Or by a friend with a car if I was really living it up. When I went up to college at 18, I was living in the Bay Area and my social life was in San Francisco. If I'd had a car then, I would have likely left it behind and used BART anyway.

In the years since, I've become very reliant on my car. But I'm not terribly happy about that fact. I'll be walking distance to both school and the street car when I move to New Orleans in June and I'm really looking forward to using my car only for grocery trips and running errands.
I guess driving and having a car was a status symbol in high school, and my first job was 30 miles away, so it was absolutely necessary that I have a car. And where I grew up, public transportation wasn't fast or comfortable. Had I lived in NYC or something, I might still not be able to drive.

Plus, unlike Slim, I was dating at 14. Had to get wheels to see the honeys.

Incidentally, I wrote, completely, a 12 page paper, including an appendix of images, full end notes, and a bibliography, proofread, printed, went to campus and turned it in all between last night at 10:00 PM and today at 4:00 PM. That's gotta be some kind of record.
You beat my personal best of 11 pages from roughly the same time frames. If I remember correctly I kept stopping and taking 30-45 min naps up until 6 am when I had to leave for class. I do believe I got a very good grade on that paper. And I do believe that was one of the moments if not the exact moment I realized most of my college professors don't know what they are taking about :p

You beat my personal best of 11 pages from roughly the same time frames. If I remember correctly I kept stopping and taking 30-45 min naps up until 6 am when I had to leave for class. I do believe I got a very good grade on that paper. And I do believe that was one of the moments if not the exact moment I realized most of my college professors don't know what they are taking about :p
I have 15 to do within the same time frame too, although I get the feeling that my professor doesn't have high expectations for anyone in the class so if I do a decent job I'll get a good grade. Hopefully I'm successful even though I keep distracting myself here :rolleyes:

My brother was like you, Slim, except he was a bicyclist. He had no use for a driver's license or car. Road his bike or walked everywhere. He was also was a backpacker. He doesn't backpack anymore, but takes long day hikes or walks (miles).

I remember when he was at UCLA, he said he couldn't sleep one night, so he walked to the ocean and back. Make that about 11 miles round trip in the dead of night. :eek:

I think he finally got his license at about age 20, so he could take a huge road trip after graduation. He did.......25,000 miles. Made up for lost time behind the wheel I guess. :eek: His wife does most of the driving now, excpet when they take the jeep off-road. :)