The SF Question

Which of these high-dollar SF options would you pursue with our cap space?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As I have pointed out on several occasions, Cuz is the lowest assisted center in the league. He gets about 25% of his baskets from assists. Howard gets around 65% of his baskets from assists. If Cuz got a few more easy assisted baskets his FG% will shoot up.
Might be true, but DMC will never be this crazy athletic, big lob-target like Howard and will always take a good amount of mid rang jumpshots. I expect him to be in the FG%-range of players like Gasol for the rest of his career. He is a very rare mixture of finesse and power and not one of those power-only guys like Howard or D.Jordan, who shoot in between 55-60% from the field, cause they are dunking all the time.

"The extra effort there by Cousins..."

Yeah, this guy isn't a max player. SMH. His handles are probably the best in the league for someone his size. He plays with a chip on his shoulder and doesn't back down from anyone. In fact, he seems to rise to the occasion of playing against the "big names". That's the kind of attitude we so desperately need, which yes, includes the negative that goes along with it on the court.

On a tangent - are we talking about Cousins at SF now?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I have pointed out on several occasions, Cuz is the lowest assisted center in the league. He gets about 25% of his baskets from assists. Howard gets around 65% of his baskets from assists. If Cuz got a few more easy assisted baskets his FG% will shoot up.
48% last season, actually. and howard was 70%...

and while i'd like to see cousins' assisted baskets climb a few percentage points (via the pick and roll), the very thing that makes DMC so special in the contemporary nba is that he's a rare old school-styled back-to-the-basket center who can truly "go to work" on the low block. you're simply not gonna pile up the assisted baskets with that style of play (and, for the record, we're not likely to see grievis vasquez's inflated assist totals from NO because of it). dwight howard, on the other hand, is almost entirely dependent upon his ballhandlers to lob it to him down low where he can catch the alley-oop or make an immediate move to the basket for the dunk...

but now that his athleticism is faltering, howard struggles against a set defense without a PG to feed him the lob or initiate the pick and roll. it's been the knock on howard his whole career, that he has very few go-to moves in the post. he's only more recently figured out the drop step, and he still doesn't use it enough. but demarcus cousins doesn't need a PG to compensate for a lack of post ability, and it's why i've long maintained that the kings don't need the "true PG" that so many around these parts have been clamoring for. such players are generally useless alongside first options like DMC. shaq didn't play with any (in his prime), neither did olajuwon, etc. in my estimation, it's a failure of the front office to not recognize that you don't need to invest a lot of value in the PG position if cousins is your franchise cornerstone...

Pistons signed Datome. 6'8 SF, from Italy (last Italian League MVP).
Not a star obviously, but still a nice and cheap player, signed with the minimum salary I supposed (not clear at the moment).
He could have been an interesting choice for us, he's easily better than our SFs right now.

EDIT

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 2m
Detroit Pistons deal with Italian shooter Gigi Datome: two years, $3.5 million, source tells Y! Sports.

Last edited:
48% last season, actually. and howard was 70%...

and while i'd like to see cousins' assisted baskets climb a few percentage points (via the pick and roll), the very thing that makes DMC so special in the contemporary nba is that he's a rare old school-styled back-to-the-basket center who can truly "go to work" on the low block. you're simply not gonna pile up the assisted baskets with that style of play (and, for the record, we're not likely to see grievis vasquez's inflated assist totals from NO because of it). dwight howard, on the other hand, is almost entirely dependent upon his ballhandlers to lob it to him down low where he can catch the alley-oop or make an immediate move to the basket for the dunk...

but now that his athleticism is faltering, howard struggles against a set defense without a PG to feed him the lob or initiate the pick and roll. it's been the knock on howard his whole career, that he has very few go-to moves in the post. he's only more recently figured out the drop step, and he still doesn't use it enough. but demarcus cousins doesn't need a PG to compensate for a lack of post ability, and it's why i've long maintained that the kings don't need the "true PG" that so many around these parts have been clamoring for. such players are generally useless alongside first options like DMC. shaq didn't play with any (in his prime), neither did olajuwon, etc. in my estimation, it's a failure of the front office to not recognize that you don't need to invest a lot of value in the PG position if cousins is your franchise cornerstone...
but but but but He doesn't have a go to move! I declare him a fat center who can't do anything.

pretty sure that all Section was pointing out is that Cuz would profit immensely from just being set up for a couple more assisted baskets per game and I strongly agree with that. while Cuz might not have the necessary athleticism to finish lobs, he has ridiculously good hands. seriously, can't remember a big guy catching passes as well as he does since Webber. find him under the basket more, let him tack on a couple of easy points and not only does his shooting percentage rise, but he will also not have to work insanely hard for all his points. all of a sudden there might be a bit more energy left for defense and he might feel a bit better about his teammates, too. a lot of the problems Cuz detractors keep harping on about might not look quite as problematic anymore.

True. Maybe he should think about becoming a little bit leaner too. Might result into a bit more energy in the end and would also help his bones and joints not getting in the way of a long and hopefully very productive career. ;)

True. Maybe he should think about becoming a little bit leaner too. Might result into a bit more energy in the end and would also help his bones and joints not getting in the way of a long and hopefully very productive career. ;)
I'd rather he replace whatever fat he's got left (and he really has slimmed down over the years) with muscles. he seriously needs to start lifting, as I think his power game has really suffered from him losing strength. it's nice that he wants to drop weight, but nobody should want a skinny Cuz.

NYK's are talking to Pietrus and Childress about minimum contracts. Why do I have a feeling the one who doesn't sign with the Knicks will be a King?

Hey guys is there any chance we could bring Dejan Bodiroga over still?? i just noticed we still have his rights!
Not sure where you read that, but the Kings renounced his rights...a long long time ago because of the salary cap...plus he retired a few years ago. But, he is one of my all-time favorite players...too bad Petrie could never lure him over to the NBA. He absolutely killed the Dream Team back in the day.

Not sure where you read that, but the Kings renounced his rights...a long long time ago because of the salary cap...plus he retired a few years ago. But, he is one of my all-time favorite players...too bad Petrie could never lure him over to the NBA. He absolutely killed the Dream Team back in the day.
Realgm tradechecker says we still have him, haha! Yah that dude was incredible. Wish we could of brought him over in the glory days.

possibly relevant news:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Orlando Magic and Hedo Turkoglu are progressing on contract buyout talks, league sources tell Y! Sports.

I mean, I guess, for very little money...

So, at least betther than Salmons in that regard. Seems a solid rebounder for his limited minutes too. Shooting percentages all over the place though. Hopefully he can develop a corner 3 really quick.

So, at least betther than Salmons in that regard. Seems a solid rebounder for his limited minutes too. Shooting percentages all over the place though. Hopefully he can develop a corner 3 really quick.
Definitely better then Salmons. Hopefully Chris Jent can help him with his shooting. I still think we need a second scoring option in the starting lineup. One that can break a defense down on his own. Im thinking Luc may be a bench player for us when all is said and done.

Nope. He has the offensive repertoire of Chuck Hayes without the passing. As pure a defensive small forward as exists in the league, though.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
possibly relevant news:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
The Orlando Magic and Hedo Turkoglu are progressing on contract buyout talks, league sources tell Y! Sports.

I mean, I guess, for very little money...
Not anymore. Too old, and too slow to play the 3, might help some team as a 3rd PF but that is about all .

dude12

Hall of Famer
A question for those that know the young prospects on our Summer league roster....is there any prospective SFs who could possibly make the jump to our real roster? A quick defensive oriented role playing SF who could knock down a 3? A guy who might have slipped through the cracks of the draft. A guy we can offer a minimum contract.

Nope. He has the offensive repertoire of Chuck Hayes without the passing. As pure a defensive small forward as exists in the league, though.
Not entirely true. He was hurt a lot of last year which hurt his finishing ability. He's always hovered around 47-50% FG in his career which suggests last season was a big outlier.

He'll never be a guy who look (or should) shoot, but i'd be willing to bet he's right back at his career shooting numbers next season

I like both of those players but not sure what it would take to acquire them.
i dont think it would take much. Memphis could use another scorer off the bench. Would they take jimmer or thornton? Philly could use thornton as well bc they lost holiday and have a aging richardson. We could then use mbah a moute off the bench and have salmons be the back up SG.