Who Should We Sign? (2023 Off-Season)

Assuming they would agree to sign here, which SF/PF would be your top choice in free agency?

• Cam Johnson

• Dillon Brooks

• Grant Williams

• Jae Crowder

• Jalen McDaniels

• Jerami Grant

• Josh Hart

• Kyle Kuzma

• PJ Washington

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Looking at our cap situation for the upcoming offseason, we have the potential to resign Barnes while still having quite amount of cap to make a splash in FA.

We're on track to have ~$22.6 mil in cap space if we don't make any changes/moves, and we could have the ability to have ~38.0 mil in cap space if we...
  • Trade Richaun Holmes for cap space
  • Trade our 2023 SAC 1st for a future 1st (or cap space)
  • Waive KZ Okpala
  • Waive Chima Moneke

Assuming we resign Barnes to a reasonable deal, we'll have the following rotational players in place for next season:

PG - Fox / Mitchell
SG - Huerter / Monk
SF - Murray
PF - Barnes
C - Sabonis

We should be able to find an adequate backup C using our exception (after our cap space is used up) like Nerlens Noel so my question is which SF/PF would be your top choice in FA (assuming they would agree to sign here)?

@The_Jamal I know we’ve talked a bit about this already but I think I’m starting to come over from the PJ Washington bus to the G. Williams/C. Johnson bus as of late.

I might just be over-emphasizing Washington because he is the longest and best rim protector of the trio, but is he really that good of a rim protector to make a significant impact? Now if he was a Jonathan Isaac level rim protector, than sure, but I don’t see a PJ Washington overhauling this defense. I might have been giving that attribute too much weight simply because he was the best at it among the available guys.

Williams and Johnson are also solid defenders who are smart defenders. I’d even feel comfortable putting Williams on someone of the best forwards in the league and know that we’re handling them better than most teams. But with Williams and Johnson, we’re getting even better spacing than if we opted for Washington.

So the trade off becomes would we rather have the better defender (Williams) or the better shooter (Johnson)?

The idea of Huerter, Johnson, and Murray spacing the floor for Fox and Sabonis is unbelievable. That’s potentially three players who can take 7+ 3s a game and knock them down at a 40%+ clip. And there’s a difference between guys who knock down spot up shots and guys who can knock down movement 3s (off curls, pin downs, handoffs, etc.). Guys who can hit those types of 3s take the floor spacing to another level as defenses have to react quicker/defend them closer. And adding Cam gives us 3 of these guys? I think our offense would be unfair at that point and easily a top offense year in and year out.

As fun as that would be to watch, I question how far a team could go without even one great defender in the lineup. Having two guys that can hit 3s like that and one guy who is still money from spot up 3s is still darn good spacing, but Williams gives us another boost defensively which might help lift this team’s ceiling a bit more than Johnson.

I think I’m currently leaning towards Williams as of now (not to me mention the Celtics may be more likely to not match him considering how much salary they have tied up and will have to pay Brown soon).

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The season still has to play out but with the money Monte has I doubt he's going to be able to get much of an upgrade over Barnes. Holmes is going to kill a lot of his options at this point.

Realistically? Yeah, Grant Williams. Re-sign Barnes and hope you can beat out the offers for Williams.

Grant Williams for me but there is at least a little worry about how a role player looks when leaving a contending team. Sometimes they shine and sometimes they were a product of the system. I haven’t seen enough Celtics games to have a strong opinion on Grant but I’ve like what I’ve seen in the games I have caught.

The players that stand out to me from this list in terms of fit are...
  • Cam Johnson
  • Kyle Kuzma
Can the Kings add both Johnson and Kuzma instead of re-signing Barnes? If that is possible (i.e., after trading Holmes, and without giving away the 2023 1st round pick), I think it might be the best course of action. Barnes is the most replaceable in the starting 5. If the Kings can then add Naz Reid with an exception, the team will look like:

Fox................. Davion
Huerter........... Monk / Davis?
Murray............ Kuzma / Johnson
Johnson
........ Kuzma / Metu?
Sabonis.......... Naz Reid / Len?

I see Grant Williams leading the poll but is he starting quality? His skill-set works for the Celtics as one in their rotation because of the overall quality of the other players they have (Tatum, Brown, Smart, White, Brogdon, Horford, RW3). Not sure if Kings would be making a step forward by signing him, although he would be a good defender on large forwards and some bigs. Seems like the Kings need to first find someone who is better than Barnes for the main 5, and then think about adding guys like Grant Williams after that.

Jerami Grant would be real nice in terms of fit too... but I think he will stay in Portland, so I didn't go there.

Last edited:
Another SF/PF the Kings should consider... Patrick Williams!

If the Bulls make him available, the Kings should definitely take a punt on him. A change of scenery might do him good. If he gets things together, he will be an excellent fit at SF with this group (Fox, Huerter, Williams, Murray, Sabonis).

Holmes + 2023 FRP for Patrick Williams and filler.
(or)
Barnes + 2023 FRP for Patrick Williams + Coby White.

The Bulls might laugh off these offers but it doesn't hurt to ask.

To tie this trade suggestion into your thread... if the Kings FO can trade for Patrick Williams before this deadline itself, they will be better placed to make followup signings in the 2023 off-season... whether it is for Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, Kyle Kuzma, Grant Williams or whoever. Patrick Williams is already signed up for 2023-24, so the Kings can get more talent in with the 2023 cap-space (to keep or trade later)... before needing to extend anyone and go over the cap.

Last edited:

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
@The_Jamal I know we’ve talked a bit about this already but I think I’m starting to come over from the PJ Washington bus to the G. Williams/C. Johnson bus as of late.

I might just be over-emphasizing Washington because he is the longest and best rim protector of the trio, but is he really that good of a rim protector to make a significant impact? Now if he was a Jonathan Isaac level rim protector, than sure, but I don’t see a PJ Washington overhauling this defense. I might have been giving that attribute too much weight simply because he was the best at it among the available guys.

Williams and Johnson are also solid defenders who are smart defenders. I’d even feel comfortable putting Williams on someone of the best forwards in the league and know that we’re handling them better than most teams. But with Williams and Johnson, we’re getting even better spacing than if we opted for Washington.

So the trade off becomes would we rather have the better defender (Williams) or the better shooter (Johnson)?

The idea of Huerter, Johnson, and Murray spacing the floor for Fox and Sabonis is unbelievable. That’s potentially three players who can take 7+ 3s a game and knock them down at a 40%+ clip. And there’s a difference between guys who knock down spot up shots and guys who can knock down movement 3s (off curls, pin downs, handoffs, etc.). Guys who can hit those types of 3s take the floor spacing to another level as defenses have to react quicker/defend them closer. And adding Cam gives us 3 of these guys? I think our offense would be unfair at that point and easily a top offense year in and year out.

As fun as that would be to watch, I question how far a team could go without even one great defender in the lineup. Having two guys that can hit 3s like that and one guy who is still money from spot up 3s is still darn good spacing, but Williams gives us another boost defensively which might help lift this team’s ceiling a bit more than Johnson.

I think I’m currently leaning towards Williams as of now (not to me mention the Celtics may be more likely to not match him considering how much salary they have tied up and will have to pay Brown soon).
My only issue with Cam Johnson is I'm not exactly sure that he's a good defender. Or at least, not at the level of Williams where I'm fairly confident he's an above average defender. He's not Cam level on offense, but I do think he's become a super reliable spacer in that slot. If we had a choice, I think I'd lean the defensive guy. We're clearly showing enough on offense that if you can find the defender, that's probably the route we go.

And the Celtics just gave Horford an extenson for 2/20. So that money isn't totally coming off the books anymore. They now have:

Tatum-32 mil
Brown-30 mil (last year of contract, likely extension looming this off-season)
Horford-9.6 mil
Brog- 22.5 mil
Smart-18.5 mil
White-18.1 mil
Bob Williams- 11.8 mil
Gallo- 6.8 mil (Player option, likely takes)
Pritchard- 4mil
Kornet-2.4 mil

I'm not sure what their breaking point is, but I find it hard to believe they'd shell out another 12+ mil for a guy coming off their bench with really no path to starting for them.

the "assuming they would agree to sign here" part changes my answer significantly..

I'll take other

Sign me up for the scenario where Kristaps Porzingis declines his player option and signs here instead!

To me Porzingis is a pretty damn good fit here. He can play the 4 while Sabonis plays the 5 if that'll work better. He can shoot, block shots makes us a lot taller.. I mean just look at the 41 points he dropped on the Wolves last week, he could get us baskets in high pressure moments like a vet, like whats asked of HB this season.

Fox
Huerter
Murray
Porzingis
Sabonis

Last edited:
the "assuming they would agree to sign here" part changes my answer significantly..

I'll take other

Sign me up for the scenario where Kristaps Porzingis declines his player option and signs here instead!

To me Porzingis is a pretty damn good fit here. He can play the 4 while Sabonis plays the 5 if that'll work better. He can shoot, block shots makes us a lot taller.. I mean just look at the 41 points he dropped on the Wolves last week, he could get us baskets in high pressure moments like a vet, like whats asked of HB this season.

Fox
Huerter
Murray
Porzingis
Sabonis
Zinger/Lauri are good fits for Fox/Sabonis I wanted the Kings to trade a 1st + Barnes/Holmes/Mitchell for Lauri/Bogdanovic before the season started.

Another SF/PF the Kings should consider... Patrick Williams!

If the Bulls make him available, the Kings should definitely take a punt on him. A change of scenery might do him good. If he gets things together, he will be an excellent fit at SF with this group (Fox, Huerter, Williams, Murray, Sabonis).

Holmes + 2023 FRP for Patrick Williams and filler.
(or)
Barnes + 2023 FRP for Patrick Williams + Coby White.

The Bulls might laugh off these offers but it doesn't hurt to ask.

To tie this trade suggestion into your thread... if the Kings FO can trade for Patrick Williams before this deadline itself, they will be better placed to make followup signings in the 2023 off-season... whether it is for Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, Kyle Kuzma, Grant Williams or whoever. Patrick Williams is already signed up for 2023-24, so the Kings can get more talent in with the 2023 cap-space (to keep or trade later)... before needing to extend anyone and go over the cap.
We can’t trade our 2023 1st at the deadline and we can’t trade Barnes in the off-season (unless it’s a sign & trade). You’re probably looking at a Holmes & 2023 1st for Pat Williams in the off-season type deal but if the Bulls are rebuilding, would they want to move a 21 year old SF/PF? At that age, you’d think they’d want to keep him around.

I'll take other

Fox
Huerter
Murray
Porzingis
Sabonis
I thought about adding Porzingis as an option but have him more as a C than a PF. I would not be a big fan of watching him try and guard PFs full time.

My only issue with Cam Johnson is I'm not exactly sure that he's a good defender. Or at least, not at the level of Williams where I'm fairly confident he's an above average defender. He's not Cam level on offense, but I do think he's become a super reliable spacer in that slot. If we had a choice, I think I'd lean the defensive guy. We're clearly showing enough on offense that if you can find the defender, that's probably the route we go.

And the Celtics just gave Horford an extenson for 2/20. So that money isn't totally coming off the books anymore. They now have:

Tatum-32 mil
Brown-30 mil (last year of contract, likely extension looming this off-season)
Horford-9.6 mil
Brog- 22.5 mil
Smart-18.5 mil
White-18.1 mil
Bob Williams- 11.8 mil
Gallo- 6.8 mil (Player option, likely takes)
Pritchard- 4mil
Kornet-2.4 mil

I'm not sure what their breaking point is, but I find it hard to believe they'd shell out another 12+ mil for a guy coming off their bench with really no path to starting for them.
If Brown gets a max extension, they’d have ~$163 mil tied up in 7 players for the 2024-25 season…

Brown = $42.9 mil
Tatum = $34.8 mil
Brogdon = $22.5 mil
Smart = $20.0 mil
White = $19.3 mil
Williams = $12.7 mil
Horford = $10.4 mil

Then the following season, Tatum can opt out and potentially sign a super max extension. I believe it’s 35% of the cap and the cap could skyrocket to $171 mil that year meaning Tatum could be making around $60 mil during the 2025-26 season.

Would Boston be willing to add a $15-$20 mil Grant Williams to that equation? I’m not so sure.

Zinger/Lauri are good fits for Fox/Sabonis I wanted the Kings to trade a 1st + Barnes/Holmes/Mitchell for Lauri/Bogdanovic before the season started.
Yeah I mean. Some of these other options in this thread are vastly inferior to us adding Porzingis in my book. Porzingis means we've added 2 all-star frontcourt players in their 20's in the course of a year and a half....

Sabonis has the wingspan of a PF not a C, it's part of the reason Richaun Holmes isn't a good fit here anymore because he's the same... So paying 6'6" grant williams big $$$, when Sabonis is due even bigger $$$ the summer after sure makes me nervous.... Is Grant Williams gonna guard Ayton in a playoff series? He's gonna guard Jokic? Jaren Jackson? Wembanyama? Top of the standings in the west right now all the teams have these big strong C's, the plan is to beat them using only smallball? well....... doesnt that sound a lot like this years team?

I feel quite strongly Porzingis solves many issues here and really widens some of the possibilities on lineups, clearly adds a layer were lacking. His offensive rebounding and passing have been best of his career so far with the Wizards. He's currently playing so well this scenario where he declines the option and hits the market is beginning to seem more and more plausible.

In fact you couldn't convince me the Kings actually miss the playoffs with a relatively healthy Porzingis/team next year. Lauri too but he is obviously much more of a PF and doesnt bring the shotblocking that Porz does, which I think the Kings could use.

It actually would be a cool wrinkle for those still holding grudges over passing on Doncic too. If Porzingis who didnt work with Doncic comes here and flourishes with Fox and we make the 'offs. Nothing will ever fix the blunder in that draft but at least you can say the faith in Fox was well placed.

Last edited:
I thought about adding Porzingis as an option but have him more as a C than a PF. I would not be a big fan of watching him try and guard PFs full time.
Well the way I see it you could have Porz guard certain C's for sure. Thats one of the luxuries of this. I think it's good once u start to look over potential matchups in the playoffs, and also positional flexibility.

The big luxury on offense though is Sabonis obviously has been ultra efficient in his hotspots this year and Porzingis is such a good 3pt shooter, far better than Sabonis, that he doesnt need to really crowd up Domas space. Then there's also the factor of they could actually pass the ball to each other well. Porzingis with his massive frame could potentially eat up a lot of space, with our team already being as fast as it is, and having such excellent passing, Porz gets hot, I just feel like there's really a chance it works great. This would be the best team he's been on! We could get him so many clean looks..

Last edited:
I wonder if we have room for a 20 point scorer on our team? That may sound like a silly question but Zinger wants to be a feature and here he would be sharing the ball with a bunch of guys that can scorer. I would be slightly concerned he throws off the share the
Ball philosophy this team has. Plus, the injury concern.

Well the way I see it you could have Porz guard certain C's for sure. Thats one of the luxuries of this. I think it's good once u start to look over potential matchups in the playoffs, and also positional flexibility.

The big luxury on offense though is Sabonis obviously has been ultra efficient in his hotspots this year and Porzingis is such a good 3pt shooter, far better than Sabonis, that he doesnt need to really crowd up Domas space. Then there's also the factor of they could actually pass the ball to each other well. Porzingis with his massive frame could potentially eat up a lot of space, with our team already being as fast as it is, and having such excellent passing, Porz gets hot, I just feel like there's really a chance it works great. This would be the best team he's been on! We could get him so many clean looks..
My concern isn’t so much defending the C spot with a Porzingis/Sabonis frontcourt. My concern is who is going to defend the PF? It makes me nervous thinking we’ll have that type of mismatch game in and game out.

I guess another question is what makes a Porzingis/Sabonis frontcourt work but not a Turner/Sabonis frontcourt?

I wonder if we have room for a 20 point scorer on our team? That may sound like a silly question but Zinger wants to be a feature and here he would be sharing the ball with a bunch of guys that can scorer. I would be slightly concerned he throws off the share the
Ball philosophy this team has. Plus, the injury concern.
I actually don’t think it would be much of an issue.

Sabonis always struck me as a facilitator who maybe is your 3rd leading scorer. I don’t think Sabonis is ever going to be an efficient 25+ PPG type of guy. I think he’s perfectly content getting his efficient 18 PPG and helping set his teammates up allowing Fox and Porzingis to be your top two scorers.

It’s just the defensive fit of Porzingis and Sabonis that gives me pause. Which one of those guys do we expect to go chase PFs on the perimeter?

My concern isn’t so much defending the C spot with a Porzingis/Sabonis frontcourt. My concern is who is going to defend the PF? It makes me nervous thinking we’ll have that type of mismatch game in and game out.

I guess another question is what makes a Porzingis/Sabonis frontcourt work but not a Turner/Sabonis frontcourt?
I mean, it goes both ways, Porzingis is tough to cover plus hes a knockdown 3ball shooter so theres the chance to trade 3's for 2's.. Which could be potentially devastating to opponents in series. Plus he could potentially punish smaller lineups on the oboards, as hes doing this szn.

With a roster that looks something like this, which i admit is like a pipedream scenario (and I assume we'd use an MLE on Roby) Roby is solid n switchable defensively, the 1st rd pick Dillon Mitchell is exceptionally talented and menacing defender, almost a kenyon martin type physical profile, electric athelete and wrecking ball, there's Okpala who can lockdown certain PF's. Strawther who's taken in this scenario is a well polished upperclassman with a 3'n'd profile solid 6'7 200+lb frame and he's pretty quick. Also Murray can guard some PF's. We'd have a lot of bodies to throw at any PF whos hot..

Fox / Mitchell / Monk
Huerter / Monk / (*'23 2nd rd pick) Emoni Bates
Murray / (*'23 2nd rd pick) Julian Strawther / Okpala
Porzingis/ (*FA) Isaiah Roby / (*'23 1st rd pick) Dillon Mitchell
Sabonis / Queta

This type of roster comfortably switches from playing big to smallball many dif ways.. and there's still roster spots to aid that. Our 3rd string PG is playing 6mpg rn and Holmes/Len barely play so I didnt think filling those spots were a big deal

Pace and surrounding talent. Point Guard. Floor spacing(Huerter, Monk, Murray etc). Porzingis is much more of a natural offensive player as well, he gets extremely hot at times n it looks like he can make everything. Myles Turner has always been a slightly mechanical big who was also fantastically explosive and had a jumpshot and the frame.. Don't take this too far though. If Myles Turner was on this team right now with Sabonis surely we'd be pretty good, so i guess the best answer really is the surrounding peices.

Last edited:
I mean, it goes both ways, Porzingis is tough to cover plus hes a knockdown 3ball shooter so theres the chance to trade 3's for 2's.. Which could be potentially devastating to opponents in series. Plus he could potentially punish smaller lineups on the oboards, as hes doing this szn.

With a roster that looks something like this, which i admit is like a pipedream scenario (and I assume we'd use an MLE on Roby) Roby is solid n switchable defensively, the 1st rd pick Dillon Mitchell is exceptionally talented and menacing defender, almost a kenyon martin type physical profile, electric athelete and wrecking ball, there's Okpala who can lockdown certain PF's. Strawther who's taken in this scenario is a well polished upperclassman with a 3'n'd profile solid 6'7 200+lb frame and he's pretty quick. Also Murray can guard some PF's. We'd have a lot of bodies to throw at any PF whos hot..

Fox / Mitchell / Monk
Sabonis / Queta

This type of roster comfortably switches from playing big to smallball many dif ways.. and there's still roster spots to aid that. Our 3rd string PG is playing 6mpg rn and Holmes/Len barely play so I didnt think filling those spots were a big deal

Pace and surrounding talent. Point Guard. Floor spacing(Huerter, Monk, Murray etc). Porzingis is much more of a natural offensive player as well, he gets extremely hot at times n it looks like he can make everything. Myles Turner has always been a slightly mechanical big who was also fantastically explosive and had a jumpshot and the frame.. Don't take this too far though. If Myles Turner was on this team right now with Sabonis surely we'd be pretty good, so i guess the best answer really is the surrounding peices.
I’ll have to watch Porzingis more on the defensive side but I’m skeptical it would work defensively as both him and Sabonis seem to slow footed to defend the perimeter on a regular basis.

As for the roster you have assembled, are you expecting us to be able to dump Holmes for pure cap space without attaching any incentive?

Also, how much are you thinking we’d have to offer Porzingis to convince him to sign here?

I
I actually don’t think it would be much of an issue.

Sabonis always struck me as a facilitator who maybe is your 3rd leading scorer. I don’t think Sabonis is ever going to be an efficient 25+ PPG type of guy. I think he’s perfectly content getting his efficient 18 PPG and helping set his teammates up allowing Fox and Porzingis to be your top two scorers.

It’s just the defensive fit of Porzingis and Sabonis that gives me pause. Which one of those guys do we expect to go chase PFs on the perimeter?
I would rather bank on Murray becoming that second or third scorer because he can do it without needing to be fed the ball. If Fox is going to average 21-26, Sabonis at 17-19, Huerter at 14-16 and then Murray anywhere from 13-19 imo. I think a floor stretching defender is a better fit with the core. You could even make the argument to not sign anyone (unless it’s HB on a three year deal) because we are going to have some big contracts potentially coming up with Sabonis and an extension for Monk. We are going to need cheap guys too to fill out the roster like maybe TD on a new deal

I

I would rather bank on Murray becoming that second or third scorer because he can do it without needing to be fed the ball. If Fox is going to average 21-26, Sabonis at 17-19, Huerter at 14-16 and then Murray anywhere from 13-19 imo. I think a floor stretching defender is a better fit with the core. You could even make the argument to not sign anyone (unless it’s HB on a three year deal) because we are going to have some big contracts potentially coming up with Sabonis and an extension for Monk. We are going to need cheap guys too to fill out the roster like maybe TD on a new deal
Sure I’m not opposed to try and grow that 2nd option and delegate Sabonis to #3 when it’s time. I think Murray is far from a sure thing in regards to becoming that 2nd scoring option.

The other thing about Porzingis that has not been brought up is his abysmal injury history. Even if he’s a good fit on the floor (which I still question), you have the added risk of him going down with an injury any minute. As a small market team, do we want to dedicate a significant ant portion of our cap that is that unreliable?

In regards to Washington, I know I speak a lot about his shooting, defense, rim protection, and length, but his scoring and passing are also other factors to consider.

Washington (or Cam Johnson for that matter) would give you 5 starters who could all give you 15+ PPG. There’s something to be said when everyone on the floor is a legitimate threat to score (I don’t really see Williams that way).

Washington’s passing would gives us another good ball mover/playmaker. If Murray improves enough in this area, that gives us 5 starters who are capable passers who can find the open man.

Fox / Mitchell / Monk
Sabonis / Queta

I think Kristaps has found a real home as a permanent 5. He just doesn't have the foot-speed anymore to defend out on the perimeter like he could his younger years.

And honestly, for all the hand-wringing on how Sabonis can't anchor a defense... most of his defensive metrics have been very very good for the year. The team really only falls off a cliff when he's off the floor.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The players that stand out to me from this list in terms of fit are...
  • Cam Johnson
  • Kyle Kuzma
Can the Kings add both Johnson and Kuzma instead of re-signing Barnes? If that is possible (i.e., after trading Holmes, and without giving away the 2023 1st round pick), I think it might be the best course of action. Barnes is the most replaceable in the starting 5. If the Kings can then add Naz Reid with an exception, the team will look like:

Fox................. Davion
Huerter........... Monk / Davis?
Murray............ Kuzma / Johnson
Johnson
........ Kuzma / Metu?
Sabonis.......... Naz Reid / Len?

I see Grant Williams leading the poll but is he starting quality? His skill-set works for the Celtics as one in their rotation because of the overall quality of the other players they have (Tatum, Brown, Smart, White, Brogdon, Horford, RW3). Not sure if Kings would be making a step forward by signing him, although he would be a good defender on large forwards and some bigs. Seems like the Kings need to first find someone who is better than Barnes for the main 5, and then think about adding guys like Grant Williams after that.

Jerami Grant would be real nice in terms of fit too... but I think he will stay in Portland, so I didn't go there.
Kyle Kuzma would be a terrible move although great looking on paper. It will either damage value elsewhere on the team or kill his value. Kuzma is taking as many shots as Fox is to get the production he's getting. Let that sink in. Now, if the Kings were looking to add a 3rd piece to Fox/Domas. Yeah, I'd still look elsewhere haha.

I think Porzingis will not fit with Sabonis. It's either Sabonis or Porzingis, not both together. Porzingis may play as PF on offense, but not on defense... he will be the rim protector as he cannot defend the perimeter. Then you'll push Sabonis to defending the perimeter, which he cannot do well either. Porzingis would fit great at Toronto, next to Siakam and Anunoby, but not at the Kings. Also, his salary is too high and he is always an injury risk.

Kyle Kuzma would be a terrible move although great looking on paper. It will either damage value elsewhere on the team or kill his value. Kuzma is taking as many shots as Fox is to get the production he's getting. Let that sink in. Now, if the Kings were looking to add a 3rd piece to Fox/Domas. Yeah, I'd still look elsewhere haha.
What I like about Kuz is that he fits at both Forward positions and is mobile. What you said is a possibility too though... i.e., since Kuz is older than Murray, Huerter/Monk, he might feel that he needs to take over as 3rd option from them and start jacking up shots. That won't be good.

Anyway, my preference is to sign or trade for one of these for the main 5:
1) Herbert Jones
2) Patrick Williams
3) Cam Johnson

Any of the three would be great... but I'm leaning toward Herbert and PWill over Cam, as I think the Kings need a lengthy Wing who can act as lead defender (i.e., doing what Wiggins does for GSW, or what Mikal Bridges does for the Suns).

Once one of those has been signed, then I'd look at one or more of these guys to improve depth:
1) re-sign Barnes
2) Kuzma
3) Grant Williams
4) Dillon Brooks
5) PJ Washington

Last edited:

^ Kings need this more than anything else... lead defender, shot-stopper, chase-downs, disruption in the passing lanes. Will make life easier for Fox, Huerter/Monk, Murray, Sabonis.

Pelicans have a club option this summer, at only $1.8m. He's playing way above his contract. Kings need to tap him up and get him to ask out, so he can sign for better guaranteed money (4-years @60m?) instead of risking another year at a pittance.

Last edited: