The SF Question

Which of these high-dollar SF options would you pursue with our cap space?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think if we don't make any more moves Salmons/Mbah isn't the worst thing. Salmons actually becomes useful now that Tyreke is gone, they were pretty much redundant starting together. I get the feeling there is still one or two more moves though with our glut of guards and PF's.

I think if we don't make any more moves Salmons/Mbah isn't the worst thing. Salmons actually becomes useful now that Tyreke is gone, they were pretty much redundant starting together. I get the feeling there is still one or two more moves though with our glut of guards and PF's.
Hahaha

I believe John is still a valuable asset to this team, but not as a starter. He's still one of our best perimeter defenders, with a solid basketball IQ and who's able to make plays every now and then.

This deal would essentially kill 3 birds one stone:

Glut of Guards
Glut of Tweener PFs (assuming Landry signs-please God NO!)
Need of another quality SF

I believe John is still a valuable asset to this team, but not as a starter. He's still one of our best perimeter defenders, with a solid basketball IQ and who's able to make plays every now and then.
It just happens to be a lot more "then" than "now". Seriously it seems like some of you have really short memories. 9 points on less than 40% shooting and giving us less than 3 rebounds in 30 mpg, and he's only getting older.

It just happens to be a lot more "then" than "now". Seriously it seems like some of you have really short memories. 9 points on less than 40% shooting and giving us less than 3 rebounds in 30 mpg, and he's only getting older.
Salmons role last year was pretty much strictly to be the spot up man in the corner, while he is serviceable at that, that is not his natural play style. Salmons best moments last season were when he got hot driving in, and using his midrange jumper off the dribble. In a structured system he is still useful, you can never question his professionalism, always in shape, never complains.

Salmons role last year was pretty much strictly to be the spot up man in the corner, while he is serviceable at that, that is not his natural play style. Salmons best moments last season were when he got hot driving in, and using his midrange jumper off the dribble. In a structured system he is still useful, you can never question his professionalism, always in shape, never complains.
How can you argue that salmons and Evans were redundant then correctly state this as salmon's role, which is nothing like Evans?

Also, you can question his professionalism. He pouted massively on the bench and complained to philly papers that he wasn't featured more in the offense.

well, that's kind of the problem, isn't it? Salmons game is suited to be ball-dominant and make plays. gets complicated, once the player doesn't have enough left to do that on any kind of consistent basis. Smart still occasionally (tbh, far too often for my liking) tried to run the offense through Salmons. wasn't pretty, since he didn't get hot near anywhere often enough to make any positive impact. he's also mildly deficient as a defender of SFs and incredibly deficient as a rebounder at that position. I don't see any system, no matter how structured, capable of masking these deficiencies.

you could try and run him as a backup guard. that might have more merit. but it also presupposes a LOT of purging to take place in the backcourt and would still be ways away from anything remotely approaching an ideal solution. I still say amnesty his behind and move on.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
He is indeed a professional thief.

Bottom 20 player in the NBA the last two years. Completely and in all ways ineffective. And getting paid about $7mil a year for being born 6'7" basically.

He is indeed a professional thief.ou

Bottom 20 player in the NBA the last two years. Completely and in all ways ineffective. And getting paid about $7mil a year for being born 6'7" basically.
Lol whatever you say "God" of kingsfans.com, how quickly people forget that he was a good player in his first stint with us, his Chicago stint, was decent in his Milwaukee years. He's not a great player, but he is serviceable. Playing on this team these last 2 years was about the worst situation for any decent player who isn't a star.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Nice little qualifier at the end there, just to cover your behind with a vague enough statement, unless you're implying that IT was a star. These last two years were absolutely miserable from a coaching standpoint. Absolutely miserable. Random lineups, rotations...I'm just glad to be done with it.

Lol whatever you say "God" of kingsfans.com, how quickly people forget that he was a good player in his first stint with us, his Chicago stint, was decent in his Milwaukee years. He's not a great player, but he is serviceable. Playing on this team these last 2 years was about the worst situation for any decent player who isn't a star.
Err no he was not a good player for us the first time round. If you thought Tyreke was a ballhog you must have not watched John's first stint with us. I can't believe I'm actually having to argue about John Salmons. And you must have forgotten his pouting about being benched too.

Err no he was not a good player for us the first time round. If you thought Tyreke was a ballhog you must have not watched John's first stint with us. I can't believe I'm actually having to argue about John Salmons. And you must have forgotten his pouting about being benched too.
this is what i remembered and was the main reason i was against the trade to get him back. he wasnt that good the first time around and was a few years older. i was hoping we would get a good starting sf and was worried he would pout when going to the bench but since we were never able to find that allusive sf, we never got to see him pout, just go 0-26 from the 3 during a stretch and get abused by bigger sf like pierce and lebron. i wonder what happened to all those who said getting salmons back was so great and that he was exactly what we needed.

Bricklayer

Desperate as you may be to try to score points, you are going to do nothing but make a fool of yourself arguing for old John Salmons. You literally have no supporters at all on that one, aside from the brilliant Keith Smart of course. He was done years ago. We might be able to scrape out 10min of time a night for him off the bench just because we have no options an he is not moveable, but its like scraping the gum off the bottom of your shoe and trying to give it one more chew. Hardly worth it, and a comical and disastrous signal to send as new ownership for the worst starting SF in the league for years to once again emerge waving from atop the dung heap.

Second year in a row now. Worst PER amongst all NBA starting SFs. Worst PER amongst all NBA players playing 30+min. 4th worst PER of all NBA players playing at least 25min (Perkins, Bradley, Biyombo).

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
These last two years were absolutely miserable from a coaching standpoint. Absolutely miserable. Random lineups, rotations...I'm just glad to be done with it.
Ya think?

Thomas noted the vibe from the new coaching staff. And it's one he likes. Like Thornton, who said Saturday, Thomas is looking forward to playing for Malone.

"It's a 100-percent change," Thomas said. "It just reminded me of college practice. Even though they don't have the whole team here, it's just the summer league team, everyone's dialed in. There's no talking on the side, just focus. Just focus on getting better and attention to detail, just doing the right things. So I can't wait for this season to start."
Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/sports/king...oin-summer-league-practice.html#storylink=cpy

Ever considered that his age might in fact be catching up with him?!

K

KingMilz

Lenis Kleiza about to get amnestied by the Raptors wouldn't be a bad pick up as a back up SF imo, provides range and good size. Better player than both Salmons and Outlaw at this point.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I liked Kleiza at one point awhile back, but he never progressed. I think we going to get a SF through trade. Glut of guards, still trying to sign a center type giving us a glut of bigs.

Bricklayer

Lenis Kleiza about to get amnestied by the Raptors wouldn't be a bad pick up as a back up SF imo, provides range and good size. Better player than both Salmons and Outlaw at this point.
Petrie liked Kleiza once years ago before the injuries.

More importantly, he began his career with the Nuggets, so he's probably on our shortlist. :p