The morning after and other news, rumors, etc.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
That's still speculation. The possibilities I mentioned are still there.
Sure the Maloofs could be stupid enough to believe that by helping H/B drag this out they could finely beat the NBA and some how get a bigger pay off from H/B months from now. But that just seems so remote. They may not be a brain trust but they have been around the NBA for a while now and they know how things are done. No one outside Seattle is saying anything other than it is over and no one out side Seattle would advise them to stick their necks out any longer.

And my point is not speculation. It is a logical inference based on sound facts.

Was the vote 12-0 as reported here from the beginning or 7-0 as reported in two different places in the Bee this AM?

Sorry if this has already reported and I missed it.

Was the vote 12-0 as reported here from the beginning or 7-0 as reported in two different places in the Bee this AM?

Sorry if this has already reported and I missed it.
The initial report said unanimous, so people assumed that it meant the entire combined committee of 12 people. Later it was clarified that only the 7 people on the relocation committee voted on the relocation recommendation.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/29/kings-bid-denied-by-committee.ap/index.html
The NBA Board of Governors is expected to follow the recommendation by the relocation committee, coincidentally headed by Thunder owner Clay Bennett, already a reviled figure in Seattle. The other owners on the committee are Miami's Micky Arison, Washington's Ted Leonsis, Utah's Greg Miller, Indiana's Herbert Simon, Minnesota's Glen Taylor and San Antonio's Peter Holt - who's also the chairman of the board.

of course rejoicing here amongst fellow kings fans is not pouring lighter fluid on the fire. but those who visit the sonics' message boards and report back here with tales of woe and delusion from seattle is pouring lighter fluid on the fire. i find it in poor taste, and i think it needed to be said...
I respect your right to have your opinion (finding it in poor taste), but I personally appreciate hearing about the emotional gore/horror/denial/delusion/fancy self-talk that some posters are kind enough to report back from various Sonics sites. So thanks people! In fact, it's been part of what I've been looking forward to for a while, anticipating it with glee. It's part of my celebration. I'm simply fascinated by human psychology and behavior, especially the oddities and extremes of denial, and refusal to be open to facts, especially when so much emotion is involved. If that's gross to some, so be it, but I'm likely to BE engrossed.

See because I don't think the seriously delusional/denial ones really ARE woeful. I think they're pitiful, yes, but not woeful. Why? Because they haven't been genuinely trying to understand the situation. Anyone who did saw this coming a mile away, and it's NOT because we are biased. This is not a giant "I told you so" to their fanbase. It's a giant "I respect your passion to be a fan but oh my god I can't believe you're still hurting yourself by being so incredibly ignorant and I also can't believe the degree of your hypocrisy".

Now if they weren't so hypocritical, possessed of a plastic morality, and hell bent on perfecting the art of victimhood (facts be damned), then yes, that would be woe, and I would let them grieve in peace. But none, or very little (yes I'm speaking in generalities), of that is happening.

Last edited:
So hansen went ahead and still paid for/booked the dates for key arena next year by applying for an MUP. According to chris daniels we can expect a negative PR campain towards sacramento in order to try in sway the full BOG. as well as possibly legal action. looks like he is going to do his best to make this messy for sacramento but i dont see it overturning the leagues tone towards keeping the kings in sac.

All of this is probably an effort to try to get expansion in seattle, but he doesnt get that you cant win vs David Stern by trying to strong arm or scare him, if anything that just pisses him off and he doesnt forget those who do him wrong.

Getting an NBA team in your city is a privillage not a right, no matter how much money you have. The number 1 rule is playing nice and respecting the league, things like last nights letter, the stupid deposit dont sit well with stern. playing nice gets you an NBA team, just ask Clay or KJ.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So hansen went ahead and still paid for/booked the dates for key arena next year by applying for an MUP. According to chris daniels we can expect a negative PR campain towards sacramento in order to try in sway the full BOG. as well as possibly legal action. looks like he is going to do his best to make this messy for sacramento but i dont see it overturning the leagues tone towards keeping the kings in sac.

All of this is probably an effort to try to get expansion in seattle, but he doesnt get that you cant win vs David Stern by trying to strong arm or scare him, if anything that just pisses him off and he doesnt forget those who do him wrong.

Getting an NBA team in your city is a privillage not a right, no matter how much money you have. The number 1 rule is playing nice and respecting the league, things like last nights letter, the stupid deposit dont sit well with stern. playing nice gets you an NBA team, just ask Clay or KJ.
This whole mess could have been avoided if the Maloofs had just announced that the team was for sale and allowed Sacramento to produce an ownership group of their own before any contracts were signed. KJ had already asked for as much and the company line had always been that they were not interested in selling the team. Hansen is doing what he thinks he needs to do to get a team to Seattle. From my point of view, he's at most a minor villain in this whole saga. He could do the honorable thing and step aside, but the Seattle fans would want him to do anything he can do to get the Sonics back. The Maloofs here are the ones making this into a fiasco and David Stern has made it clear on multiple occassions that he's well aware of the context of the situation. Seattle fans are going to have a hard time understanding that, but they're just getting in on the tail end of a decade long saga here involving an ownership group which has done everything it can to kidnap our team and move them elsewhere. Let's not forget who the real enemy is. And they're on the verge of losing, once and for all. The vultures are on the way out and this team can finally move forward.

Last edited:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Hansen is taking his current actions to lobby for expansion. The league already knows what a strong ownership group/market/arena plan Seattle has. Booking dates at Key Arena is for THIS season, not for an expansion team in two or three years. And trashing Sacramento won't help cause the BOG to look more fondly on Seattle if expansion is an option.

No, this is just an attempt to push whatever buttons he can to try and force the issue despite the committee's recommendation. I don't see it gaining him anything and possibly hurting his chances of ever owning a team but I don't think he knows what else to do. He was all in, emotionally and financially and can't believe he won't win.

I'm confident, but I'll still breathe a huge sigh of relief when the full vote takes place and another when shovels hit the ground on the new arena.

Side note as I watch tonight's Denver/GS game. In that State Farm ad where Chris Paul has a twin brother "Cliff Paul" who grows up to become a State Farm agent - if they were separated at birth, why in Earth would they have the same last name?

Nice to be able to focus on such trivial NBA-related stuff again.

I suppose i never really viewed any of this as SAC vs Seattle but rather SAC vs the maloofs. After all, its because of them that the the city of Sacramento had fight with everything it had to keep the Kings in town.

Damn, if Hansen decides to sue the league, it's all because of the maloofs. The name, maloof, shall never be used in a conversation unless its used for the utmost negative connotation. Instead of saying, "you *******", just say, "you maloof brother." Or instead of saying, "i ****ed up", just say, "I pulled a gavin."

you post this a lot, but you do realize that tyreke evans hasn't started at PG in about two seasons, right?

It's just a joke.. Long long drawn out argument over a couple years. When this whole relocation thing started people were surprised that I was pretty much agreeing with them (although it was a totally different discussion), because I really never agree with anyone, so basically just to say "I am back to my normal arguing self I put out a post that says "Evans does not need to start at PG" or something to that effect to joke around.

The initial report said unanimous, so people assumed that it meant the entire combined committee of 12 people. Later it was clarified that only the 7 people on the relocation committee voted on the relocation recommendation.

Link: http://www.nba.com/2013/news/04/29/kings-bid-denied-by-committee.ap/index.html
I assume there were all 12 on the conference call though. At least I would hope so. I heard that there were a lot more than just the 7 voters on the call which included other owners, and front office people that have close ties to the actual people voting, and allegedly everyone (even people without votes) were on board with keeping the Kings here. If/When there is a vote I would assume it would be a 30 to 0 or a 29 to 1.

He did this after the recommendation?

I could picture the ticket takers at the arena doing what the "Euro Itchy and Scratchy Land" did from the Simpsons..... "Hellooooo? Key Arena open for business! Who are you to resist it, huh?! C'mon, my last paycheck bounced! My children need wine!"

I assume there were all 12 on the conference call though. At least I would hope so. I heard that there were a lot more than just the 7 voters on the call which included other owners, and front office people that have close ties to the actual people voting, and allegedly everyone (even people without votes) were on board with keeping the Kings here. If/When there is a vote I would assume it would be a 30 to 0 or a 29 to 1.
I think the league used just the relocation vote as a way of not having to reject the sale of a team. Giving Hansen a way to back out gracefully and save face. It doesn't look like Hansen is willing to take that deal and will test the theory of getting voted down 29-1. Hopefully someone can talk some sense into Hansen before it gets that far.

I think the league used just the relocation vote as a way of not having to reject the sale of a team. Giving Hansen a way to back out gracefully and save face. It doesn't look like Hansen is willing to take that deal and will test the theory of getting voted down 29-1. Hopefully someone can talk some sense into Hansen before it gets that far.
That's initially why I had thought they put the relocation vote first (or will put the official vote first) The H/B agreement with the Maloofs is based 100% on relocation so if it's voted down the deal is no longer good and Sac's offer is the only one left standing.

I have also heard that a possible reason I heard it was first was because the Maloofs had to file for relocation on behalf of H/B before the sale could be complete so since relocation was first and the sale second they would vote in that order..

ALSO: I meant to put 29-0 or 29-1 not 30-0, obviously if the Maloofs get a vote they would vote for the move so there is no way it could be 30-0. I am not even 100% sure if they even get a vote.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Chris Daniels is delusional if he thinks a negative PR campaign at this point will sway the BoG. If anything, it would only further poison the waters. The relocation committee sent a pretty strong message with a unanimous vote, one that even David Stern said surprised him. If those are truly the type of tactics Hansen is considering, he obviously does not understand the whole process.

And I totally agree. The number 1 rule is play nice and respect the league, as Mark Cuban can readily attest to.

Oh, yeah, reports are that all 12 were on the call as well as others as you mentioned. Just because it was 7-0 doesn't mean there's still 22 other people who might think differently.

Carmichael Dave was initially mentioning one dissenter or something like that, presumably somebody not on the relocation committee, so I wouldn't be surprised if the final relocation vote was 27-2 or even 24-5 or so, maybe with a abstainer or two.

That's initially why I had thought they put the relocation vote first (or will put the official vote first) The H/B agreement with the Maloofs is based 100% on relocation so if it's voted down the deal is no longer good and Sac's offer is the only one left standing.

I have also heard that a possible reason I heard it was first was because the Maloofs had to file for relocation on behalf of H/B before the sale could be complete so since relocation was first and the sale second they would vote in that order..
I agree with this on both fronts. The technical reason relocation comes first is because the Maloofs applied for it. But that was best for the NBA anyway so they can frame it as rejecting relocation instead of rejecting the Hansen/Ballmer team. And really, their only reason for denying this is because of the relocation, so it makes perfect sense.

Tonight on Charlie Rose (PBS) NBA Commissioner David Stern plus his deputy Adam Silver will be interviewed. In Sacramento area Rose is on Ch. 7 (PBS 2) at 9 PM and Ch. 6 (PBS 1) at midnight. The NBA segment is second one of one hour program after interview with some other guests. If the program is missed it can be viewed online about 24 hours later at charlierose.com

Charlie Rose

April 30, 2013

A discussion about President Obama's press conference on the first 100 days of his second term with Al Hunt of Bloomberg View; Jessica Yellin, Chief White House Correspondent for CNN; Chuck Todd, Chief White House Correspondent for NBC News; and Jonathan Karl, ABC News Chief White House Correspondent. We conclude with David Stern, Commissioner of the National Basketball Association & Adam Silver, Deputy Commissioner of the NBA .

I think the final vote be unanimous unless the Maloofs are allowed to vote. It's n the bag. The Maloofs could make the final sale agreement difficult but I don't think so. Bring it on home.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I read an article for which I have no link that it is highly suspected that if the relocation is voted down which seems about 99% likely that he will still fight to get ownership pf the team. The plot would be similar to how we got the team from KC. Now this is why I was wondering about the financial committee and what their role was in the in the conference call. They didn't vote that we know of officially but they heard all the same junk about the Maloofs, etc. that the relocation committee heard. It is likely that the financial committee has already voted as they would not want to be reconvened in case of the unlikely chance that relocation was OK'd OR, and this is the big "OR," if Hansen tried to buy the team no matter what.

It is very important that they heard the junk because they may have to vote officially. Taking into account all the rumors, their vote may have been 5-0 or maybe 4-1. Either vote is fine as it takes US 8 votes to deny Hansen the purchase of the team. We are at least half way home. We all know that if the shoe was on the other foot and we were in the Hansen position, KJ would fight until the end. The problem with Hansen continuing the fight is that he may alienate the BoG. He is not in the hedge fund world anymore and feelings count. He may fight but in the process screw himself out of this ownership and any other that may come up. The NBA doesn't want to be dissed the way he wants to do it. Or should I have said "maloofed?

Just thinkin' ahead.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Some more info:

Chris Daniels‏ @ChrisDaniels5 21m
NBA Commissioner David Stern, appearing on the Charlie Rose show tonight, calls Steve Ballmer a "Perfect Prototype for an NBA Owner"...

...but, Stern says, (paraphrasing now) Sacramento came through with plan, and a group, and that's why the committee made the recommendation.

NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver shared a bit more with Charlie...on status of #NBAKings...

Adam Silver "I think some people are surprised at the preliminary decision the relocation committee has made..."

Silver (cont) "..because they say well but look at Seattle. There are more corporate headquarters, There's more TV households..."

Silver "..there's the potential to generate more revenue there? Shouldn't you move a franchise to the market where there is more revenue?"

Adam Silver: "Our response is not necessarily..."

Silver: "...that if you look at total value over time and brand building and community support that continuity is important." #NBAKings

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I read an article for which I have no link that it is highly suspected that if the relocation is voted down which seems about 99% likely that he will still fight to get ownership pf the team. The plot would be similar to how we got the team from KC. Now this is why I was wondering about the financial committee and what their role was in the in the conference call. They didn't vote that we know of officially but they heard all the same junk about the Maloofs, etc. that the relocation committee heard. It is likely that the financial committee has already voted as they would not want to be reconvened in case of the unlikely chance that relocation was OK'd OR, and this is the big "OR," if Hansen tried to buy the team no matter what.

It is very important that they heard the junk because they may have to vote officially. Taking into account all the rumors, their vote may have been 5-0 or maybe 4-1. Either vote is fine as it takes US 8 votes to deny Hansen the purchase of the team. We are at least half way home. We all know that if the shoe was on the other foot and we were in the Hansen position, KJ would fight until the end. The problem with Hansen continuing the fight is that he may alienate the BoG. He is not in the hedge fund world anymore and feelings count. He may fight but in the process screw himself out of this ownership and any other that may come up. The NBA doesn't want to be dissed the way he wants to do it. Or should I have said "maloofed?

Just thinkin' ahead.
We only need 8 of 29 owners on our side to squelch the sale. Odds of us not getting 8, after we got 7 on relocation alone, has to be miniscule. Not a single owner in that meeting is going to want the prospect of Chris Hansen owning a team in Sacramento. Just no way.

I still fully expect some sort of backroom deal to be reached before then, since the NBA would rather not vote on it, but Hansen could just be childish enough to **** this up for himself and his city. Right now everybody on the NBA's side is considering ways to get his ownership group into the league in the future. He throws a tantrum and they may easily decide they don't want him as part of the country club at all.

whats this?

Michael McCann‏@McCannSportsLaw
@ChrisDaniels5 If Ballmer = perfect prototype owner, then will he be approved? Will sale vote be on sale or de facto 2nd vote on relocation?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
whats this?

@ChrisDaniels5 If Ballmer = perfect prototype owner, then will he be approved? Will sale vote be on sale or de facto 2nd vote on relocation?
that's Chris Daniels

Stern called him the perfect prototype owner to mollify Ballmer and send signals that if he reigns in the yapping little puppy at the head of his group the NBA still wants him.

Last edited:
whats this?

Look who that is coming from. Seattle is dead in the water and they know it. They are grasping at straws.

I'm done thinking or giving a **** about Seattle at this point.

whats this?

Notice he sail Ballmer was the perfect prototype owner. No Hansen in that statement. I think the league is souring on Hansen by the minute. Every time he speaks now he's sounding more and more like George.

Look who that is coming from. Seattle is dead in the water and they know it. They are grasping at straws.

I'm done thinking or giving a **** about Seattle at this point.
Agree.. That tweet is in regard to that interview Stern and Silver had with a TV show. The comment was taken out of context by Daniels. Basically Stern and Silver said that Ballmer is a person that would fit the bill as a prototypical owner in the NBA.

There will be people trying to spin this, but in the end it has nothing to do with how this has played out.